Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 31st August 2012, 01:01   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Yokohama C drive (now in a wider range of sizes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post

Should i go for the regular size (I generally use the Innova when going out of Bangalore - on the highways) 205/65/R15 or 225/60/R15. If i choose, 225/60/R15 do i need to change the rim?

How does Bridgestone compare with Yoko? Is it worth comparing?

What is the cost for each of the above options in Bangalore and where do you recommend me to buy (Bangalore)
I have done 47k on 225/60R15 C.Drives and the only thing that Bridgestones have better is probably tougher sidewalls. Grip, silence, ride comfort - C.Drive is way better. Go for the 225/60 if you regularly do 100kmph+ speeds. The difference in grip is astonishing. At the same time, dont over inflate beyond 31 psi as the ride can become a bit stiff. Below 31 psi, it is cushier compared to the OEM tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
1. Stick to 205/65 R15. Personally, I don't think the Innova is dynamically capable (or you should push it) to harness the capabilities of a 20mm upsize. And remember, unlike Maruti, Toyota don't compromise on safety by under-tyre-ing their cars.

2. The upsize to 225/65 R15 will not require you to change your rims.

3. AFAIK, the Bridgestone B390 is available in the Innova's size. It really doesn't compare to the capabilities of a C-Drive.
I disagree. The Innova is dynamically superior to all the other MUVs available below INR 20 lakhs and also better than some cars in my view. It manages high speeds easily, corners without drama or fear of toppling over and has excellent body control. It benefits from the 20mm upsize.
As for under-tiring - The Qualis came with 175/80R14 tires? The Etios comes with 175 mm tires too which is 10 mm less compared to what I would like in a car of that size.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 31st August 2012 at 01:03.
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 01:13   #137
Senior - BHPian

Was testing the 225/60/15 C-drives on the Civic with some high speed braking. Unlike the earlier set of AVS db V550s, these ended up squealing a bit, but ABS did not kick in. With the V550s, ABS used to engage earlier.

The C-Drives braked true. I'm just wondering about the squeals.

The tyres do look thinner than what the size indicates.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 12:13   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
I have done 47k on 225/60R15 C.Drives and the only thing that Bridgestones have better is probably tougher sidewalls. Grip, silence, ride comfort - C.Drive is way better. Go for the 225/60 if you regularly do 100kmph+ speeds. The difference in grip is astonishing. At the same time, dont over inflate beyond 31 psi as the ride can become a bit stiff. Below 31 psi, it is cushier compared to the OEM tires.

I disagree. The Innova is dynamically superior to all the other MUVs available below INR 20 lakhs and also better than some cars in my view. It manages high speeds easily, corners without drama or fear of toppling over and has excellent body control. It benefits from the 20mm upsize.
As for under-tiring - The Qualis came with 175/80R14 tires? The Etios comes with 175 mm tires too which is 10 mm less compared to what I would like in a car of that size.
Buffetfan: I inquired with Iyengars in Bangalore, he was quoting 7100 (as per him best price) for the Yoko C drive 225/60/R15. Is this reasonable?

He was also mentioning that one can opt for 205/65/R15 C drive instead of 225. Of course the price drops by Rs 1000 / tyre.

You said that you have done 47K, how are they holding? How many more Kms before you reckon you will have to change them? BTW is there any drop in mileage by upsizing to 225?
MaverikMahesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 09:10   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buffetfan: I inquired with Iyengars in Bangalore, he was quoting 7100 (as per him best price) for the Yoko C drive 225/60/R15. Is this reasonable?

He was also mentioning that one can opt for 205/65/R15 C drive instead of 225. Of course the price drops by Rs 1000 / tyre.

You said that you have done 47K, how are they holding? How many more Kms before you reckon you will have to change them? BTW is there any drop in mileage by upsizing to 225?
I think they can do another 5-10 k but I will probably change them earlier. I think the price is reasonable though I had heard quotes of 6900 per tire 5 months ago. I do think bridgestones will last longer under similar conditions as a grip oriented tire will last lesser.

I plan to change to another set of C.drives though.

I have not seen any noticeable difference in mileage - I used to get same as my friend under similar traffic.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 16:20   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Tyre aficionados,

on the highways) 205/65/R15 or 225/60/R15. If i choose, 225/60/R15 do i need to change the rim?
)
forgot to add - rim change is not requred if you do the upsize.
Old 1st September 2012, 16:28   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your disagreeing, or your "liking" a particular size doesn't matter. The Qualis, even with 175 section tyres, was a much more surefooted handler than a Sumo (which came initially with 195 and later 215 tyres) or a Scorpio (235). It was only when I drove the RS version with 195 tyres that I realized it can be made to handle better. I've driven both versions of the Etios, and neither has such aggressive power delivery characteristics that merit a 10mm upsize.

And if you really want extreme handling, why go for an MUV at all?
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 16:35   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Your disagreeing, or your "liking" a particular size doesn't matter. The Qualis, even with 175 section tyres, was a much more surefooted handler than a Sumo (which came initially with 195 and later 215 tyres) or a Scorpio (235). It was only when I drove the RS version with 195 tyres that I realized it can be made to handle better. I've driven both versions of the Etios, and neither has such aggressive power delivery characteristics that merit a 10mm upsize.

And if you really want extreme handling, why go for an MUV at all?
I have driven the Qualis a lot as well and a lot of the taxi drivers, who are fanatics about mileage, upgrade to 195/70 R14 tires..question is why do they do it if the grip is so satisfying? We are not talking about handling here for that is only partially dependent on grip!

Also, the question is not of extreme situations but being able to drive fast and safe on highway speeds and have the extra bit of grip that better tires can provide.

Finally, IMHO, Discussions are about viewpoints and for providing a proper and satisfying response, another person's viewpoint should matter. Else it is a waste of time for the engaging parties.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 1st September 2012 at 16:40.
Old 1st September 2012, 16:44   #143
Senior - BHPian

I just came back from burying 2 of my 4 C-drives , 1 was shot months earlier. While the grip levels are good ( especially wet ) and the tyres are pretty silent the sidewall strength in the case of my 3 dead C-drives were pathetic . 2 developed a bulge after negotiating a Mumbai pot hole , my experience with Bridgestones / Michelins have been much better.
One of the dealers told me that the tyres are sourced from China which may be deciding the quality - the info maybe be worth investigating .
My C Drives lasted hardly 12,000-13,000 km ( one got shot within a thousand Km)
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 21:21   #144
BHPian

If your tyre has "made in china"imprinted on it then I'm afraid those are grey market tyres. Yokohama's India operations have ensured that the only countries of origin from which tyres are brought into India are Japan and Philippines. And if it's a third nation the tyres you're buying have been manufactured in then I'm afraid it's a no go as far as warranty claims from Yokohama India go.
WasavaTyres is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 23:23   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I just came back from burying 2 of my 4 C-drives , 1 was shot months earlier. While the grip levels are good ( especially wet ) and the tyres are pretty silent the sidewall strength in the case of my 3 dead C-drives were pathetic . 2 developed a bulge after negotiating a Mumbai pot hole , my experience with Bridgestones / Michelins have been much better.
One of the dealers told me that the tyres are sourced from China which may be deciding the quality - the info maybe be worth investigating .
My C Drives lasted hardly 12,000-13,000 km ( one got shot within a thousand Km)
Made in China - Yoko's I have seen are made in Philippines or made in Japan. Are you sure you have the originals?
Old 2nd September 2012, 02:11   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
If your tyre has "made in china"imprinted on it then I'm afraid those are grey market tyres. Yokohama's India operations have ensured that the only countries of origin from which tyres are brought into India are Japan and Philippines. And if it's a third nation the tyres you're buying have been manufactured in then I'm afraid it's a no go as far as warranty claims from Yokohama India go.
Quote:
Made in China - Yoko's I have seen are made in Philippines or made in Japan. Are you sure you have the originals?
HANGZHOU YOKOHAMA TIRE CO., LTD. That plant in China makes passenger car tyres though I cannot say for sure that my tyres came from that plant.

2 of my tyres were examined by Yokohama engineers because I made a warranty claim but they concluded that they were not a manufacturing defect case (gave it to me in writing ) , for the third one I didn't bother to waste my time because I understood by that time that Yokohama ( or for that matter any tyre manufacturer) would not honour warranty due to pothole damage . None of the rejection was due to the tyre being fake. So the possibility of the tyres being grey market stuff can be safely ruled out. I bought the tyres from Premji Tyre Plus at Thane which also does not sell grey market stuff.
Old 2nd September 2012, 07:37   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HANGZHOU YOKOHAMA TIRE CO., LTD. That plant in China makes passenger car tyres though I cannot say for sure that my tyres came from that plant.

2 of my tyres were examined by Yokohama engineers because I made a warranty claim but they concluded that they were not a manufacturing defect case (gave it to me in writing ) , for the third one I didn't bother to waste my time because I understood by that time that Yokohama ( or for that matter any tyre manufacturer) would not honour warranty due to pothole damage . None of the rejection was due to the tyre being fake. So the possibility of the tyres being grey market stuff can be safely ruled out. I bought the tyres from Premji Tyre Plus at Thane which also does not sell grey market stuff.

Buddy in that case maybe you need another brand for your application. Yoko are prone to sidewall cuts compared to bridgestones require the terrain or driving style to be conducive. At the same time, the performance they deliver is very very good.
Old 2nd September 2012, 12:00   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buddy in that case maybe you need another brand for your application. Yoko are prone to sidewall cuts compared to bridgestones require the terrain or driving style to be conducive. At the same time, the performance they deliver is very very good.
Absolutely agree with you Sir- the C drives have great grip , dry & wet braking performance , low noise and nice ride. If only our babus and their contractors did a better job of building and maintaining the roads in Mumbai the C drives would have been a perfect tyre. Its achilles heel is something that sadly becomes a very important factor on the pot-hole strewn Indian roads , I learnt it the hard way
Old 2nd September 2012, 12:47   #149
BHPian

Smile Re: Yokohama C drive (now in a wider range of sizes)

Quote:
Yokohama has over 18 manufacturing plants in 8 countries across the world. But to avoid the "chinese tyre" tag amongst lesser enlightened consumers it has been a policy decision on Yokohama India's part to only import tyres from Japan & Philippines. Most tyres are from Japan.

Quote:
So the possibility of the tyres being grey market stuff can be safely ruled out. I bought the tyres from Premji Tyre Plus at Thane which also does not sell grey market stuff.
I repeat this again, if your tyres are from any other country apart from the two mentioned, they are not authorized imports. Despite the BIS marking having been made mandatory for imported tyres there are still people bringing in non-certified goods.
WasavaTyres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 10:56   #150
BHPian

Finally, i have changed the shoes of my Innova. Went in for Yokohama C drive 225/60/R15. The best price i could get was 7000 / tyre. Lets see how they fare. I am going on a weekend trip to Ooty (from Bangalore)
MaverikMahesh is offline   Reply With Quote