Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 28th January 2011, 12:18   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Yokohama C drive (now in a wider range of sizes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Please note

S.Drive - better dry grip
C. Drive - Better wet grip (Better than S Drives too!) and higher comfort.

see the yokohama tire positioning map on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2022454 (Yokohama C drive (now in a wider range of sizes))

Does it mean i should not look for Bridgestone or Michelin at all? Looks of the tyre slightly matters to me...
Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 16:39   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
I currently use both the models in my cars

C.Drives -225/60R15 in my Innova, 185/65R14 in my friends Honda City

Michelin Energy XM1 - 185/65R14in my Baleno

I would say that the noise levels are pretty similar. Both the tires are silent. The ride comfort is similar too and I guess the C.Drive grips better. On the other hand, the Michelin is better built and has tougher sidewalls compared to the C. Drive.
buffetfan, one of the dealers told me to stay away from C Drives due to side wall cuts complains from customers. Said thats the reason he doesnt keep Yokohama tyres. He suggested me to go for Bridgestone GIII or Turanza. I wasn't convinced.

With all the reviews i read online, i never saw any complains about side wall cuts in C Drives.

When we say rough patches or bad roads, what exactly we mean by that when choosing the tyres. I think out of our most frequent driving route we encounter 20-30% bad patches. Atleast cities like Navi Mumbai and Mumbai. So will this also affect the C drives tyres? Are they more softer than the Michelin XM1+ tyres?

I'm confused now
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 01:00   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
buffetfan, one of the dealers told me to stay away from C Drives due to side wall cuts complains from customers. Said thats the reason he doesnt keep Yokohama tyres. He suggested me to go for Bridgestone GIII or Turanza. I wasn't convinced.
He is correct in the sense that Bridgestones generally have tougher sidewalls and are preferred by taxi trade. On the other hand, I have seen the tube type version of Bridgstone (S248 - 165/80R13) developing sidewall deformity after a high speed run when I and a friend of mine were driving in our Balenos. (I was on tubeless - Goodyear Eagle NCT5 185/65R14 and nothing happened to my car).

But I dont like the general ride comfort and lack of silence and would never buy them.

Quote:
With all the reviews i read online, i never saw any complains about side wall cuts in C Drives.
C.Drive sell significantly less and hence you will find less complaints. I have encountered a thorn going inside my c.Drive sidewall and I am unsure that that would happen in my Michelins at all. The tire is still doing duty so no harm done till now.

Anyway, I have done 22k kms on them and they seem ready to do at least another 22k if not more.

Quote:
When we say rough patches or bad roads, what exactly we mean by that when choosing the tyres. I think out of our most frequent driving route we encounter 20-30% bad patches. Atleast cities like Navi Mumbai and Mumbai. So will this also affect the C drives tyres? Are they more softer than the Michelin XM1+ tyres?
Well - a sidewall cut can happen anywhere - even when you are getting out of an earthen shoulder to a road. So in general if the road has too many sharp objects/stones, you can get a cut. I have a sidewall bulge in one of my Michelins too but because of a high speed pothole impact on a punctured tire that had only 10 Psi in it. So cant really blame the tire- the impact was so severe that the alloy wheel was bent a bit too.
Quote:
I'm confused now
There are no easy answers! If It helps, I am considering C.Drives on my next tire change in the Baleno because I love the wet grip on offer. (It rained a lot last year!). Also, they have done their fair share of rough roads and are doing ok in general.

Also they are nearly 15% cheaper so even if you get less 20% mileage out of them, or one out of five fails where a Michelin probably (and very arguably as there is no way to prove) would not fail, (By mileage I mean Total tire kilometers across the tires), and consider the time value of money, you are not bad.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 29th January 2011 at 01:06.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 01:21   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
Does it mean i should not look for Bridgestone or Michelin at all? Looks of the tyre slightly matters to me...
Why not - I like the Michelins a lot in general!
Old 15th April 2011, 20:22   #80
Senior - BHPian

Here is my first look after my "upgrade" from 15" S.Drives to 14" C.Drives

The comfort is superb, steering has lost a bit of the heaviness (which I miss), braking takes a tad longer.

Thanks to our Nikhil for his suggestions
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 21:22   #81
BHPian

After changing stock tyres on my NHC to C-Drives, feels lot lot .......... better.

Had 4 long trips on these since the change of tyres in Dec10.

On highways feels like flying, super comfort.

I dont have words to describe the stock tyres, i lost confidence driving my vehicle at 90-100 kmp on highways.

Thanks to Nikhil for his advice.
santhoshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 17:21   #82
Senior - BHPian

What is the difference between A drives and C drives?
in 185\65\R14 size price difference is 100 bucks per tyre, C drive being the expensive one.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 19:31   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
What is the difference between A drives and C drives?
in 185\65\R14 size price difference is 100 bucks per tyre, C drive being the expensive one.
Please check this post:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2056102 (Yokohama C drive (now in a wider range of sizes))

A.Drives are more comfort / Economy oriented than C.Drives. C.Drives provide better grip than A.Drives, and have a better wet handling - at least that is what I infer from the positioning.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 02:57   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Please check this post:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2056102 (Yokohama C drive (now in a wider range of sizes))

A.Drives are more comfort / Economy oriented than C.Drives. C.Drives provide better grip than A.Drives, and have a better wet handling - at least that is what I infer from the positioning.
A Drives are more Economy oriented. If you look at this detailed rating map, you will see that comfort is same in A and c. Drives. Maybe the A.Drive will last a bit more compared to the C. But I had the C for the past 24k kms in the innova and they will easily do another 20-30 k kms - making the total tire life around 50k. Not bad.

This is the detailed positioning that I am referring to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2022454 (Yokohama C drive (now in a wider range of sizes))

note that the C grips way better then the A and even the S drive has a lower wet grip.
Finally, look at the tread pattern

A. Drive

C. Drive

Which pattern do you like?

Last edited by Buffetfan : 30th April 2011 at 03:09.
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:35   #85
BHPian

hi,
i have swift vxi.
i change my rim to alloy wheels with size 14 X 5.5.
i did not change my stock tyres at that time now i want to change it yokohama c drive.
please tell me which suitable size for my car.
185/60 R14 or 185/65 R14.
nvc_4125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:29   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvc_4125 View Post
hi,
i have swift vxi.
i change my rim to alloy wheels with size 14 X 5.5.
i did not change my stock tyres at that time now i want to change it yokohama c drive.
please tell me which suitable size for my car.
185/60 R14 or 185/65 R14.
Thats not the right size for Swift.
Get 185/70-14 A drives, C drives are not available in this size.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 23:26   #87
Senior - BHPian

Here is my take on the C.Drives, quoted from my ownership thread:

Quote:
So here are my list of pro's and con's for the 185/65 R14 C.Drives:

+ Comfort - I no longer feel ever undulation on my butt like I used to with 195/55 R15 S.Drives
+ Economy - With hard driving of mostly ~120-130,reaching 160, keeping it above 100 most of the times, I got a mileage of 16.08 KMPL. My usual mileage with S.Drives with my style of highway driving was always 15- 15.5 KMPL
+ Braking - The brakes never surprised me, and always slowed or stopped like I wanted
+ Road Noise - After the lorry-like sound the S.Drives gives (at least in the last few 1000 KM), the C.Drives were oh-so-silent!!
+ Wet grip - The C.Drives are damn good at this, way better than the S.Drives. They do not aquaplane like the S.Drives, and have ample braking power too.

<> Longevity - Am reserving my verdict for now on this one. I went through some bad stretches at slow speeds, and flew over (literally) a road culvert in the Krishnagiri - Salem stretch. I also dropped the left side of the car today (front and back wheels) on my way to work on a dug up pit. Touchwood, the tires seem to stand it till now.

- Handling - While the tires are very very good for a daily city use and normal highway run, I have not gotten the confidence to corner hard. This could be a mental block, I may try this as I get used to the behaviour over the days to come. But they definitely do not have the on-the-rails feeling that my S.Drives used to give me - I traded that off when I went down to 185/65 in 14"
- Braking - I am marking this as a negative, though it will affect you *only* if you came to C.Drives after using a performance tire like the S.Drives and PP2. I am late braker (by this I mean I wont brake the moment I see the brake lights in front of me, and will give it a moment to see if I absolutely have to brake), and I had to plan my braking a tad earlier after I switched to C.Drives.

I will definitely recommend these tires for anyone looking for a comfortable option with ample handling and braking - mind you, these are my first set of comfort tires, I have never used a set of XM1+ or A.Drives till now.
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 21:36   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is my take on the C.Drives, quoted from my ownership thread:
Please note that the C.Drives required a "run in" in my innova. The dry grip improved significantly after 1000 kms or so. Not sure if you have a similar feedback
Old 11th May 2011, 23:32   #89
Senior - BHPian

It definitely did. The feedback I had given was based on a 1000 KM trip I took after running them in for 900 KM. I have done about 2.5k after I switched to them, and the grip seems to be a lot better now!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 11:09   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Thats not the right size for Swift.
Get 185/70-14 A drives, C drives are not available in this size.
I have a swift diesel with the stock JK's 165/80 r14. they have been with me for 70K kms ( I know it's quite late to be changing tyres). I was planning to go in for C drives until you mentioned that they aren't available in the upsize I was planning to go for 185/70 r14. I would like to know if there's any significant change in comfort level as compared to the C drives or if there are other options for me besides the XM1+ . I'm looking mainly for comfort, no reduction in FE and I wouldn't want to spend too much as I may not be keeping the car for more than 100,000 kms. I would appreciate any help on this.
I'm planning to change my tyres within the next few days. If anyone could also give me a ball park figure of how much each one would cost, I'd be grateful.

Many thanks
dieselat is offline   Reply With Quote