Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 15th May 2011, 11:22   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Yokohama C drive (now in a wider range of sizes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselat View Post
I have a swift diesel with the stock JK's 165/80 r14. they have been with me for 70K kms ( I know it's quite late to be changing tyres). I was planning to go in for C drives until you mentioned that they aren't available in the upsize I was planning to go for 185/70 r14. I would like to know if there's any significant change in comfort level as compared to the C drives or if there are other options for me besides the XM1+ . I'm looking mainly for comfort, no reduction in FE and I wouldn't want to spend too much as I may not be keeping the car for more than 100,000 kms. I would appreciate any help on this.
I'm planning to change my tyres within the next few days. If anyone could also give me a ball park figure of how much each one would cost, I'd be grateful.

Many thanks
A drives or Apollo Aceleres would be the best VFM option for you.
Since you don't have plans to keep the car for more than 30k kms, it doesn't make sense to go for the expensive Michelins or even Turanza ER60.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 12:00   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
A drives or Apollo Aceleres would be the best VFM option for you.
Since you don't have plans to keep the car for more than 30k kms, it doesn't make sense to go for the expensive Michelins or even Turanza ER60.
I was considering Turanza's as my next option and A drives as a consolation. As far as Apollo Aceleres go, I've heard that they're pretty noisy and quite hard.

Can someone please help me out on how much I should expect these to cost in Bangalore?

Many thanks
dieselat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 17:25   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Aceleres are not all that noisy and hard. They are actually quite soft and silent!

In 185/70-14, Michelins cost upwards of 4100/-. Apollo, Yoko A drive and ER60 are around 3800/- per tyre. Yoko A drive will be the cheapest.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 23:02   #94
BHPian

Thanks a ton Nikhil! I should go check out a few places in the coming weekend.
I'm thinking of going for the ER60's as the price difference doesn't seem to be too great, between them and the A drive.
Old 28th May 2011, 13:58   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Aceleres are not all that noisy and hard. They are actually quite soft and silent!

In 185/70-14, Michelins cost upwards of 4100/-. Apollo, Yoko A drive and ER60 are around 3800/- per tyre. Yoko A drive will be the cheapest.
Hey Nikhil,
I know I'm asking my questions in the wrong order, but I just wanted to know whether the upsize from 165/80-14 to 185/70-14 would be in favor of comfort(as a friend had told me)? I'm not too sure about this and I just assumed that i should go with the up size as I was changing my set of tyres anyway. I'm mostly going with the ER60's unless anyone tells me some good reasons why I should go with the XM1+ instead ( besides the "Michelin" brand of course).
And I had called Madu's this afternoon and found out that ER 60's are 4.2k each for the ER60's. I'm hoping that I can get a better price on this with the T-BHP discount as mentioned . I've concluded from a good friend as well as this forum that Madu's is the place I'm going to get my new tyres from. Cheers!
Old 29th May 2011, 01:32   #96
BHPian

Hi dieselat

Mate you are not upsizing but going for a broader patch rubber . After you car get 185 70 R 14 you will get more traction means more grip plus comfort because tyres which come as OE are crappy . Go for michelin XM plus , from my past experience these tyres are just awesome . Just go to the shop and get the xm plus with eyes closed . Large group of bhpians and my fren are using michelin xm plus and there has been no problem reported .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselat View Post
Hey Nikhil,
I know I'm asking my questions in the wrong order, but I just wanted to know whether the upsize from 165/80-14 to 185/70-14 would be in favor of comfort(as a friend had told me)? I'm not too sure about this and I just assumed that i should go with the up size as I was changing my set of tyres anyway. I'm mostly going with the ER60's unless anyone tells me some good reasons why I should go with the XM1+ instead ( besides the "Michelin" brand of course).
And I had called Madu's this afternoon and found out that ER 60's are 4.2k each for the ER60's. I'm hoping that I can get a better price on this with the T-BHP discount as mentioned . I've concluded from a good friend as well as this forum that Madu's is the place I'm going to get my new tyres from. Cheers!
Safari_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 22:06   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

@Dieselat ---- Ride comfort will be better because of the better quality of rubber. Apart from that, there wont be much difference. sidewall height is going to remain more or less the same.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 09:29   #98
BHPian

Hi Nikhil,

I've 2 queries.

1. I'm planning to upgrade my stock tyres GY GPS2 175/65/14 to either Yokohama C Drive 185/60/14 or Bridgestone Turanza ER60 to stock size
So to upgrade to yoko 185/60 which is the right upsize for Palio, i've read people commenting it will provide "harsh ride" although high speed stability would be great.
What exactly according to you mean by "Harsh Ride" and since mine is Palio Stile which already has suspension height raised than the retro Palios, is that going to hamper the ride quality with the 185/60 size?

BTW i do mostly city driving, say 70%

2. The yokohama website shows the new C drive2. I still havent seen them here in mumbai or navi mumbai. Are they yet to be launched in India?
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 17:06   #99
BHPian

Finally I upgraded my stock tyres (175/65/14) to Yokohama C Drive 185/65/14

The tyres look lovely. Immediately felt silence in the cabin and comfort ride. The Steering has turned out to be very light now and i'm not liking it actually :(

I think after some run-in, i shall get the exact feedback. Will update here very soon!

Got the tyres for 4250/- for 4

Thanks Buffetfan and others who responded to me for their feedbacks and suggestions!
Old 11th June 2011, 20:52   #100
BHPian

I would appreciate feedback from the users about the wear of the Tyre. Most of the people have expressed their concern about early wear. here are few links:-
Yokohama C.drive AC01 Passenger & Light Commercial Tyre Reviews Australia www.yokohama.com.au
Yokohama C Drive - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide
In comparison to C.Drive,A-drive does poorly:-
Yokohama A Drive - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 02:40   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
I would appreciate feedback from the users about the wear of the Tyre. Most of the people have expressed their concern about early wear.
Hi Gill,

My 225/60R15 C.Drives in the Innova have done nearly 26k kms. They will last probably another 20-25k as they dont look too old. Tires like bridgestone B250 or Goodyear duraplus might definitely last longer but then I also look for comfort and grip through the duration of use.
I think Akshay1234 also used them for quite sometime in his Innova.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Finally I upgraded my stock tyres (175/65/14) to Yokohama C Drive 185/65/14

The tyres look lovely. Immediately felt silence in the cabin and comfort ride. The Steering has turned out to be very light now and i'm not liking it actually :(

I think after some run-in, i shall get the exact feedback. Will update here very soon!

Got the tyres for 4250/- for 4

Thanks Buffetfan and others who responded to me for their feedbacks and suggestions!
Rudrah,
I purchased the second set of C.Drives today. I am really a fan of these tyres I guess. The second set was for my Baleno that currently runs on 185/65R14 Michelin Energy Xm1 tyres. I took the vehicle out for a wheel balancing today to realize that the tires have become old with some minor cracks starting to appear in the rubber tread. Nothing deep or concerning and the tires would have probably served me another 10k kms with careful use. But I already had a good 44k run on these tires that I love and did not want to end the association on a bad note.
So, I paid for balancing as this dealer did not stock Yokohama and went out in search. Finally got them at Ashoka Wheels in Secunderabad who also in turn ended up getting them from the company godown. (what else could I do).
For a brief while I was tempted to purchase the ES100 with its kickass pattern but then I remembered that I wanted comfort and silence along with grip and handling. All these, the C.Drive will provide in abundance. The ES100, while looks much better and probably sportier, will not be as silent and ride friendly.

Now the first impression - the car seems to have a softer ride compared to the Michelin Energy XM1s. No wobbling at high speeds and the steering seems a bit light. Road noise is non existent but expected in a new tire. The Michelins were very silent when new and even after 44k, were not noisy.

Given the extra cushy ride, I am wondering if the 65 profile is too high for my taste or maybe I should have tried the ES100 in 195/60R14 . Though I hate noise and did replace the initial NCT5s the car had for the same reason, just after 25k kms. The Yokos are very silent in the Innova at 26 k and maybe I made the right choice .
I paid 20.4 k for 5 tires including alignment and balancing.
Will update as the "run in" is completed.

BTW this is how the ES100 looks

Attached Images

Last edited by Buffetfan : 12th June 2011 at 02:59.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 18:20   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Now the first impression - the car seems to have a softer ride compared to the Michelin Energy XM1s. No wobbling at high speeds and the steering seems a bit light. Road noise is non existent but expected in a new tire. The Michelins were very silent when new and even after 44k, were not noisy.

Given the extra cushy ride, I am wondering if the 65 profile is too high for my taste or maybe I should have tried the ES100 in 195/60R14 . Though I hate noise and did replace the initial NCT5s the car had for the same reason, just after 25k kms. The Yokos are very silent in the Innova at 26 k and maybe I made the right choice
Buffetfan,

That is great to hear you too went for the C Drives. Cool so i've some company here

Yes, you are right anout ES100, thou they are sporty in nature but they have known for being too noisy and early wear too!

So you too felt the Steering to be very light after the change. Same here and i'm really feeling a concern at high speeds which was not in the earlier tyres. Palio is known for its firm steering at high speeds and this is contradicting its feel!

As for the 65 profile, i had the same concern and was in a dilema whether to go for 185/60 or 185/65. One of my other friend who also has the same Palio as mine had GIII Potenza 185/65 and he did faced scrapping his car when fully loaded. But may be the C Drives would handle differently than the Bridgestones, fingers crossed

Also the dealer here told me 195/60/14 in C Drives are not launched in India, is this correct?
Old 14th June 2011, 22:07   #103
Senior - BHPian

@buffetfan: I am also thinking of changing tyres in my baleno. A lot of people are recommending bridgestone (Indian make) or Yoko A drives. 185/65/14 are the stock NCTs that have lasted 53000 kms are good for a couple more. Could you post a picture of your car with the c drives? Also what do you mean the steering feels lighter? Should I also go in for C drives or stick to A drives on my baleno?
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 00:21   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Buffetfan,

Yes, you are right anout ES100, thou they are sporty in nature but they have known for being too noisy and early wear too!
That is correct. Read just too many reports abt the noise and the dealer warned me too.

Quote:
So you too felt the Steering to be very light after the change. Same here and i'm really feeling a concern at high speeds which was not in the earlier tyres. Palio is known for its firm steering at high speeds and this is contradicting its feel!
Not very light, just a bit lighter. I did high speeds and it is prety stable in general. The ride is very cushy though and a concrete patch on the expressway that used to induce bumpiness and noise in the michelins now seems to have vanished completely.

Quote:
As for the 65 profile, i had the same concern and was in a dilema whether to go for 185/60 or 185/65. One of my other friend who also has the same Palio as mine had GIII Potenza 185/65 and he did faced scrapping his car when fully loaded. But may be the C Drives would handle differently than the Bridgestones, fingers crossed
I could not buy 185/60 as that is wrong upsize for Baleno.
Quote:

Also the dealer here told me 195/60/14 in C Drives are not launched in India, is this correct?
[/quote]

Yes that is correct as far as I know. ES100 are available in that size.

I am happy with the ride quality, cornering grip (better than michelins) and extreme silence. The ride is a bit cushy and I will try with 32 PSI instead of 30. But it is my wife's car and she prefers a cushy ride.

Net net, I am happy and the tires are performing as expected.
Old 15th June 2011, 00:27   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
@buffetfan: I am also thinking of changing tyres in my baleno. A lot of people are recommending bridgestone (Indian make) or Yoko A drives. 185/65/14 are the stock NCTs that have lasted 53000 kms are good for a couple more. Could you post a picture of your car with the c drives? Also what do you mean the steering feels lighter? Should I also go in for C drives or stick to A drives on my baleno?
I prefer C.Drives . I dont find the steering overtly light and also going by my Innova experience, the C.Drives generally require a 1000km or so run in .

See the tire positioning at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2022454 (Yokohama C drive (now in a wider range of sizes)) will help a bit in deciding.