Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Closed Thread

Old 17th November 2014, 16:10   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Tyres for Laura 1.8 TSI - Ambiente Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatsomany View Post
lalittalwar,
205/60R15 would be pointless as it REDUCES the size of the tyre!
Beisdes, I read some recommendations for Vredestein elsewhere on the forum and though I'd give it a try. I can't say I was impressed. Quite the contrary, they are mediocre quality tyres at best.
The way I see it, its just the 4 tyres that actually touch the ground and cheaping out on tyres is just plain foolish in my opinion.
very true that the tyre size will reduce, but its less than 2%. negligible difference as opined by tyre gurus.

I would like to know how you tried vredesteins. Tyres, unlike cars can not just be test driven IMO. they have to be experienced over time. In my case, I have had them on for about 20k kms now, with decent tyre wear and braking performance on my Laura. They are not noisy either, and if you check any tyre reviews, they seem to be there among the better ones. And not sure if you are aware of the price, but Vredesteins are certainly not a cheap option. The 195/65/15 costs 6k per trye, which is the same as P3ST. Not sure about 205 size tyres.

I also happen to have P3STs on my GT TSI, driven about 3k kms now and I can tell you, from personal experience (not really an exact comparison, as they are on 2 different cars), that vredesteins are slightly harder, but in no way uncomfortable, but a definite step up from stock Goodyears and bridgestones.

But, I would say, it is all a relative thing based on one's experience and driving style.
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 16:41   #32
BHPian

Are Conti CPC2 any good guys? I really need tyres fast. I am shying away from Michs because of sidewall issues galore with their tyres. I know in P3ST that might be rectified to a certain extent but would still like to consider them as a last alternative.
Old 17th November 2014, 17:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
I am quite frustrated to be honest. I put my money down yesterday at Premium Tyre Solutions (A Yoko dealer in DLF Phase 2) and specifically asked for a set with a manufacturing date of within past 6 months. Was assured I will get a recently manufactured tyre and they have ordered it from the company's warehouse. Guess what - today they try to palm off an Apr'13 manufactured set . Of course I am having none of that. Back to square one. The V550s sure are proving too hard to find.
Ouch that sucks. We faced the same issue when we wanted the db for my brother in law's city. Just couldnt find them. Utimately ended up putting Earth1 which was just 3 weeks old. Why dont you try with some dealers in Lajpat Nager or Kailash Colony? Jitesh (BK Tyres- details can be had here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...nagar-1-a.html (Tyre & Alloy Wheels - BK Tyres (Lajpat Nagar-1)) ) may have stock available with them or would be able to give you some leads.

Just saw your previous post. CPC2 is a good option but finding a new set may be an issue. Not entirely sure but i read somewhere (Cant recollect now) that they were being phased out. Just read up on it a bit.

As lalit mentioned, 205/60/15 isnt a bad option. It was the stock size on the previous generation Laura. Just that the damn Yoko cost nearly 10k a tyre in that size!

Happy hunting!
Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 17th November 2014 at 17:15. Reason: Adding info
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 14:53   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
I rate my experience based on more than a few scary incidents. These tyres have never disappointed me in the case of hard and emergency braking (and being in Delhi, you know the need for this arises more often than not). Even though they may not be the grippiest or the most performance oriented tyres around, they are not far behind. And in the wet, they have no comparison. The P3ST werent around when i changed my tyres so i cant really comment on those.

Would i go for another set at 80,000 (i change tyres at 40,000)? If i find new manufactured set, without a doubt i would. Just my two cents!

Rohan
RohanDheman,
Its nice to know that you have had good results with the DB, I am only saying that there is room for more to be desired in performance and low sound is just not a strong enough point for me to settle for them. Then again, I do NOT drive sedately and have quite a bit of highway and hilly driving as my use case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans33 View Post
I'm driving my Laura tsi with yoko 550 db for last 10000 kms.These tyres make so much less noise than stock Goodyear ones.Performance and ride comfort is good.Tyre wear is negligible.But I agree,they are not best when braking really hard.If you drive sedately,they are more than enough.But if you drive hard,buy advan sport.
Agree 100% on the noise bit. It does feel like a boon to have a quieter ride, it makes for a more 'premium car' feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
very true that the tyre size will reduce, but its less than 2%. negligible difference as opined by tyre gurus.

I would like to know how you tried vredesteins. Tyres, unlike cars can not just be test driven IMO. they have to be experienced over time. In my case, I have had them on for about 20k kms now, with decent tyre wear and braking performance on my Laura. They are not noisy either, and if you check any tyre reviews, they seem to be there among the better ones. And not sure if you are aware of the price, but Vredesteins are certainly not a cheap option. The 195/65/15 costs 6k per trye, which is the same as P3ST. Not sure about 205 size tyres.

I also happen to have P3STs on my GT TSI, driven about 3k kms now and I can tell you, from personal experience (not really an exact comparison, as they are on 2 different cars), that vredesteins are slightly harder, but in no way uncomfortable, but a definite step up from stock Goodyears and bridgestones.

But, I would say, it is all a relative thing based on one's experience and driving style.
If anything, it makes sense to increase the dia. I am sure you've read the write-ups and factsheets demonstrating how wider tyres hardly provide the increase in contact patch as we expect, whereas larger tyres nearly always have a larger contact patch. In other real life examples, most sports cars come with fairly large diameter tyres compared to regular cars in a similar weight albeit lower power.

Yeah, I wish tyres were available for test drive, but you're right, they are not. The Vredesteins I've tried were called Sportrac 5 (195/65R15) installed on a friends Corolla which I took for a 40 odd Km drive. Personally, I felt no gains whatsoever compared to the stock tyres which I have had the opportunity to drive quite a few times. If anything, I personally felt the ride was somewhat bubbly.

Well, atleast the ones on the Corolla were fairly cheap. Anyhow, cheaping out on tyres in my book is about settling for lower performance / quality, not just price. Take continental for example, the charge a premium price, but you don't get your moneys worth even on a SportContact 3 in my opinion. That way, I've found Michelin and Yokohama to be very satisfying along with a few specific BridgeStones.

I'm still waiting to try some of their better "Italian Named" tyres like the Ultrac Cento, which I do hope would be better than the stock tyres atleast. Will certainly report back once I've given them a spin.

Quote:
Are Conti CPC2 any good guys? I really need tyres fast. I am shying away from Michs because of sidewall issues galore with their tyres. I know in P3ST that might be rectified to a certain extent but would still like to consider them as a last alternative.
CPC2s are decent but not anything exceptional in my opinion. I would rather go for the P3STs or else the Yokos (I do believe that the P3STs are better than the DB any day).

As for sidewall issues with Michelins, being one of the larger manufacturers, you will easily find a lot of issues reported given the large quantities of tyres being sold by them. They way I see it, there are likely a 1000 tyres rolling with no issues for every few problems being reported.
Having them in active use on multiple vehicles, including a few friends, I cannot bring myself to find any fault with them. Besides, dealers will always give you a reason to switch to a product which gets them a higher margin!
bharatsomany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 17:00   #35
BHPian

Quote:
I am quite frustrated to be honest. I put my money down yesterday at Premium Tyre Solutions (A Yoko dealer in DLF Phase 2) and specifically asked for a set with a manufacturing date of within past 6 months. Was assured I will get a recently manufactured tyre and they have ordered it from the company's warehouse. Guess what - today they try to palm off an Apr'13 manufactured set . Of course I am having none of that. Back to square one. The V550s sure are proving too hard to find.
I'm also looking to get Yoko V550's for my Tjet (205/55/16) - plan to figure out availability this weekend. You can try Zig Wheels on Golf Course Road - I bought my Michelin P3STs for my Punto from there in August (195/60/15). Another option could be 2 Crave on MG Road (near Arjangarh metro station).
Old 25th November 2014, 16:25   #36
BHPian

Went out this weekend looking for V550s. Finally found them at Star Wheels (Near Atul Kataria Chowk in Gurgaon). End 2013 stock. I really wanted the tyres and that was the the most recent manufacturing I was getting for the Yokos so got them nevertheless. Paid 6250 a pop - so 25k in total. Probably overpaid a bit but glad to finally have decent tyres on my car. Was also offerred Pirelli P1s for 5700 a pop in the same size (2015/65/15). They were mid 2014 make. Got the Yokos as mind was stuck on them. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Thread Closed. Please continue the discussion (posts/queries) in this thread - Skoda Laura : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th June 2015 at 11:58.
Closed Thread