Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 8th January 2010, 14:37   #46
Senior - BHPian

So many anecdotal instances here and on the web about Michelin being stingy about warranties. What is the sense then of giving any warranty at all. Regarding not honouring or being stingy, what could be the reason:
1. Michelin has profiled its buyers and thinks that they drive a lot over potholes and craters.
2. Michelin fears bankruptcy if it honours warranties. That is, it may face so many claims that it would have to seek court protection. Better for a few buyers to go through the hassle of going to court.
3. Just as someone claimed that seconds are shredded, Michelin ships its seconds and thirds to poor countries in South Asia and Africa.
4. Very little justification at all for a manufacturer to not honour its warranty especially if it has occurred so soon.
5. Going thru this forum, this practice seems to be prevalent amongst a lot of European auto and auto ancillary manufacturers.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 15:19   #47
Senior - BHPian

Well, I agree with nitrous, GTO and others who say that Michelin ought to do better in launching products suited to the Indian conditions.

When one buys Mich, you pay a hefty premium, and you expect the best out of these tyres. I bought 5x MXV8's and have been very happy with them, but it seems Michelin has the wrong attitude towards the Indian market and customers.

BTW, they advt this warranty (3 years) aspect a lot through their website (and dealers), whereas my current understanding is that the warranty is not worth the paper its printed on.

Even iraghava had very bad experience with his PP2's and the company!

@privin, good luck in your efforts...
lancer_rit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 16:09   #48
Senior - BHPian

I was thinking about switching over to Michelin XM1+ eventhough there have been some bad reports in the past. My goodyear OE will last only a few hundred kilometers. The recent threads are really shaking my confidence in Michelin. The customer service is not at all acceptable.

If the product is not suitable for indian conditions, do not sell it here. Grip and comfort is nothing compared to safety. The least they can do is to provide a replacement when they are charging a premium.

I think warranty is just a marketing gimmick.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 8th January 2010 at 16:11. Reason: typo
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 12:02   #49
BHPian

Even I wanted to try the XM1+ 195/60/14 on my NHC-Vtec after another 2.5k running. If Michelin has got issues like said before...(I do Interstate trip every month) need to fit ER60.

I had ER60 on my i10 and santro, but felt more bumpiness with it, with correct tyre pressures. Wondering the bumpiness comes due to the thick rim protection side wall in ER60
Twiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 00:37   #50
BHPian

Any news about the Bridgestone Turanza GR 90 reviewed in Autocar? Is it still worth to buy Michelin?
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 22:03   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Can one of you tell me how many 'plys' are there in the 'sidewall' for Primacy/XM1+ and what they are made of. This will be written on the side of the tire along with the size.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 22:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Any news about the Bridgestone Turanza GR 90 reviewed in Autocar? Is it still worth to buy Michelin?
Caveat Emptor - Buyer beware. There's enough in this thread to get you to stay away from Michelins. If they jeopardise safety AND come with a shady warranty policy, I dont want em. To hell with grip and ride quality. I'll look elsewhere.

I had a set of Michelin Certis tubeless radials (made in Thailand, legally imported in India) on my Esteem back in 2000-01. Never had issues with those tyres (except a nail in the sidewall which was repaired) but there is NO WAY I will go in for Michelins now. When it comes to replacements I will stick to the BS Turanzas that came as OEM tyres on my car.

Cheers!

PS - I advised a colleague who bought a set of XM1s a few months back from Darshan Tyres to get them checked for sidewall bulges regularly. I am spooked by the user experiences here.

Last edited by R2D2 : 11th January 2010 at 22:36.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 22:57   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Tyres are the MOST abused component on our cars. Most people dont realise and just indulge in arguments because the loss of money hurts. I feel for such consumers. But I stand by my words.

There are tons of people who have never had a problem with Michelin. This is typical of an online forum. Someone starts saying a bad thing and suddenly, EVERYONE starts thinking negatively about a product.

How many people on TBHP have Michelin tyres?

How many people have had a damage?

If only there was a concrete answer to the above two questions.....

Another pointer: The XM1+s are very very durable. I am yet to see an XM1+ which got damaged at slow speed.

Let's not mix different models of tyres here. The Primacy LC is soft. Yes. But that is the only way you will get that sublime ride. The XM1+ is much much harder and durable. So, for people whose opinion can be changed by ONE reviews, my suggestion is this: If you plan to purchase an XM1+, have a little more confidence.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 23:29   #54
BHPian

I agree with Nikhil. The XM1+ is a great tire. Have not used it personally, but the general consensus is that it is the best you can buy in India (for now). Nikhil, what about the new GR90? Are they better han XM1+?
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 23:42   #55
BHPian

Dunno what wet wrong in your case but i use the exact same tyres on my ANHC done 5,000 km on them hit pot holes & speed breakers at good speed.no bulges until now.so when you say Michelins are not meant for India it doesn't gel.as far as i can see they are REALLY GOOD set of tyres no doubt.
abishek2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 00:01   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
How many people on TBHP have Michelin tyres?

How many people have had a damage?

If only there was a concrete answer to the above two questions.....
That's the beauty of team-bhp. We can actually find out
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ease-vote.html

created a poll
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 00:19   #57
Senior - BHPian

Dont know about others, have been using 13" XM1+ on my Ikon for around 1.5 years now, have done some ridiculous belting on them, not a thing till now and it kills the bridgestones I used earlier in terms of grip.
blueraven316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 12:23   #58
BHPian

Post Michelin only

Have been using only Michelin from Jan 2001 itself.
Certis, PP1, PP2, MXV8.
Pilot Primacy bought a week back only.

Very Satisfied. Had taken very hard hits on pot-holes but never failed me.

The new Pilot Primacy on my Civic-AT ( 2 no.s at front only) are soft and noise-free.

Will always buy Michelin only in the future.

(have posted the same in the voting thread also).
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 03:08   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
That 'cut' on your tyre has been caused by the alloy hitting the tyre at the spot, commonly referred to as 'pinching' it is not a manufacturing defect by any yardstick. You'll only be wasting your time and money apart from peace of mind going thru a lawyer and stuff.
How can the alloy hit the tire at the center of the sidewall if the bead is seated properly?

Tire bulging is caused by internal cords snapping either do to manufacturing defect or due to kerb stone intrusion from the side.

On the early model zens the sidewall was so soft that it would collapse and bend the rim...but the tire remained fine.

Quote:
I agree word to word with everything WasavaTyres says. Michelins are awesome tyres.
Probably only the local S322s, MRFs, etc could have withstood such abuse.
So, based on this fact should be declare Michelin as "not recomended" for typical Indian conditions?

Quote:
Tyres are the MOST abused component on our cars. But I stand by my words.
why because they touch the roads?
Sorry, is there some research study to support this.

Last edited by Mpower : 13th January 2010 at 06:09.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 19:14   #60
BHPian

I have Michelin XM1+ on my Ritz ZXi (upgraded from OEM JKs) and so far so good. Have done around 4000 KMs so far and not being aware of the Michelin "softness" haven't been particularly careful with them on Pune's uneven roads and craters in the outskirts. I just ensure that I check the pressure every couple of weeks or so and keep them at recommended levels.

As someone said above, maybe the problem is particularly with the Primacys or other "comfort" versions - just a thought.
shreeps is offline   Reply With Quote