Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

View Poll Results: Have you had Issues with your Michelin tyres?
Yes (Bulges, premature tyre wear, frequent punctures etc) 47 16.61%
No. They're quite problem free 236 83.39%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30th November 2012, 00:57   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Michelin Tyre Woes: Fact or Fiction? (Michelin users please vote)

We were XM1+ users for almost 20K kms on a Santro & had no complaints. The tyre definitely felt better in terms of reduced road noise, improved traction & better comfort, when compared to the stock tyres.

However, having recently experienced the XM2 on a friend's car, I would personally not be willing to pay the premium because Michelin seems to have gone the MRF route & done something to their tyre for added life. The kind of comfort & absence of road noise that we used to experience with the XM1+ was not there in XM2, despite my friend not using low profile tyres. Apart from this, the tyres are serving well without any hiccups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
Hi All,

Anyone there to vote for Michelin Energy XM2 series? Planned to change my OE JKTyres (155/65/R13) in my Wagon R to Michelin.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 09:27   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
We were XM1+ users for almost 20K kms on a Santro & had no complaints. The tyre definitely felt better in terms of reduced road noise, improved traction & better comfort, when compared to the stock tyres.

However, having recently experienced the XM2 on a friend's car, I would personally not be willing to pay the premium because Michelin seems to have gone the MRF route & done something to their tyre for added life. The kind of comfort & absence of road noise that we used to experience with the XM1+ was not there in XM2, despite my friend not using low profile tyres. Apart from this, the tyres are serving well without any hiccups.
Thanks Blackfire_9! Have noted your point. Will continue to receive feedbacks/suggestions on until I finally decide to shortlist.
Chris_Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 11:26   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
blackfire,

I believe the Michelin XM2 has thicker (stronger) sidewalls than the XM1. This gives it less ability to soak up the road bumps. The main reason being for this thickness increase is that the tyre is less likely to be prone to sidewall punctures than before & is therefore safer.

Last edited by 1self : 1st December 2012 at 11:28.
1self is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 20:06   #109
BHPian

My Ikon 1.6 is on 3rd set of XM1/XM1+. Last 2 sets were good for about 40-45K Kms. Current set has run for about 30K and still good for another 10K. Have had no issues except for 2-3 punctures for all 3 sets together. Key is to maintain correct pressure. I have driven on really bad/rough roads and have accidentally hit potholes and unmarked humps at high speeds, few times, but the tyres were able to withstand the impact.

Encouraged by my past experience, I upsized my new Vento's tyres to Primacy LC from stock Aceleres yesterday and my first impression is really good (significant improvement in terms of handling, comfort and road noise).
pc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 21:18   #110
Senior - BHPian

Its a good thing if the sidewalls are stronger but the problem is that there are much cheaper & equally well-performing tyres available in the market, if durability & strength (over bad roads) is the primary criteria.

I personally would only pay a premium for something that is a priority to me & is not available commonly. Tomorrow, if soft tyres become a norm & my priority changes to that of hard tyres, then I am sure I would have no qualms in paying some premium for those as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
blackfire,

I believe the Michelin XM2 has thicker (stronger) sidewalls than the XM1. This gives it less ability to soak up the road bumps. The main reason being for this thickness increase is that the tyre is less likely to be prone to sidewall punctures than before & is therefore safer.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 17:57   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

I first used Michelins on my Palio (XM1+). I was so happy with the tyres that I always chose Michelins for my other cars when it was time for a tyre change. I have used XM1+ on my Palio, WagonR , Santro and i10. Primacy LC on my Corolla and now Laura. I am so used to the ride, silence and grip combo of these Michelins that nothing else gives me satisfaction.

About XM2, when I wanted to swap the tyres on my brand new i10, I told the dealer that good ride quality and low road noise was my priority. THe dealer advised me stick to XM1+ and stay away from XM2 as they are harder, designed for longer tyre life and made to withstand harsh road conditions.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 18:11   #112
BHPian

Are Michelin XM1+ tyres still available?

I was told by couple of tyre dealers that they are now replaced with XM2 and XM1+ wont be available in the market. Correct me if this is wrong.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 18:13   #113
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Michelin Latitude LTX and all 4 tyres have almost 25-30 Punctures. They catch nails like magnets, even sometimes small chips of stones puncture the tyre. Although I have also used Michelin AT tyres and have found them very carpet like in ride quality and no frequent punctures.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 19:01   #114
BHPian

I've been using XM1+ on my Swift for over 30K km now. They are a marked improvement over the JK that the car came in. I have not had a problem (puncture, bulge etc) till now with the XM1+. Infact the ride has vastly improved with the XM1+
SafeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 19:17   #115
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Michelin XM1+ in my Getz for over 20K kms now. It is good for another 15 to 20K kms. The ride quality has improved a lot with the tire and there is considerable improvement in the handling too. Though the tire was very silent in the beginning, the noise has increased now. There is no puncture with the tire. Overall, I am very happy with the tire.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 5th December 2012 at 19:18.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 20:22   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Though the tire was very silent in the beginning, the noise has increased now.
Agree here! With 3 sets of XM1/XM1+ I have used, the road noise increased significantly after the tyres had done around 25-30K Kms. Infact, I changed the tyres even before they were due for replacement because of the road noise. But I still got 40-40K Kms out of them, which is pretty good.
pc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 23:10   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7
Are Michelin XM1+ tyres still available?

I was told by couple of tyre dealers that they are now replaced with XM2 and XM1+ wont be available in the market. Correct me if this is wrong.
Even the dealers here in Chennai say that XM1+ will not be available henceforth.
Chris_Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 10:10   #118
BHPian

I had posted this in some other thread but did not get any response, so posting this here again. Please excuse me if my question seems stupid. One of my rear tyre (19000 KM, one and half year old, Michelin XM1+) had all of a sudden gone flat few days earlier. Although it has more than plenty of rubber left and is the first time I found a puncture in it, the tyre repair guy detected not one but four leaks on it. Although they have been repaired, shall I see that the performance of the tyre has been affected? How many leaks may a tubeless tyre withstand? I have inspected the tyre and the sidewall is in good condition.
Sorry if my question has been discussed elsewhere.
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 23:34   #119
Senior - BHPian

Where exactly were these leaks situated? Unless you had multiple leaks around a particular spot in close proximity there is nothing to worry. If they were around the inner lining/beading you may need to change the tyre or go for some innovative solution.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 23:40   #120
Senior - BHPian

So over, 11k kms done on XM1+ on my Accent. NIL problems faced till date, Not even a single puncture ( touchwood ).

My usage has been mostly on the highways out there in UP and Uttrakhand. They have seen all kinds of roads, from expressways, to broken roads, Even did offroading once.

So far, I am very happy with them and will recommend this to anyone looking for upgrade. They are expensive but they are worth it.

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote