Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 9th August 2017, 13:06   #361
BHPian

Default Re: Everything about Wheel Alignment: Post your queries here

Recent got alignment and balancing done for two of my cars, cars in question are Creta and Gi10.

Now the place where I got it done, attached the alignment machine thingy ONLY on the front wheels of both the cars;

With the Gi10 they did the "dhaaga" method i.e pressed a thread against the front and rear wheels after alignment of the front wheels.
Nothing like this was done with the Creta, only front wheel alignment.

I was under the impression that only cars with independent rear suspension need the machine on the rear wheels, however I see pictures on the forum of the alignment machine on rear wheels of similar cars (non high end, non independent suspension) as well.

Am I getting it done at the wrong place?
rayjaycleoful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 13:35   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post

Am I getting it done at the wrong place?
Simple answer: YES.

It doesnt matter whether you have independent rear suspension or not.

The front wheels SHOULD be measured with respect to the rear. 99% of Indian cars dont have rear adjustment. Even in that case, the front should be adjusted with reference to the rear to ensure proper alignment and a level steering wheel. If this is not done, your steering wheel be off-centred.

Watch the above videos to understand more.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 13:44   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Simple answer: YES.

Even in that case, the front should be adjusted with reference to the rear to ensure proper alignment and a level steering wheel.
Thanks alot!
Would you, by any chance, know of a place in Gurgaon which would have a 4 wheel alignment facility and latest equipment?
rayjaycleoful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 14:01   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Thanks alot!
Would you, by any chance, know of a place in Gurgaon which would have a 4 wheel alignment facility and latest equipment?
I dont have much experience and I think the opinion of TBHP-ians of the local area would be better.

I have visited this workshop called Dawn Auto and the guys who run it are quite energetic and nice. They are in Chatarpur. https://www.facebook.com/dawnauto/ They seem to do a lot of high end cars.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 10:20   #365
BHPian

I recently got alignment and balancing done from a third party tyre store. It was the first alignment of the new vehicle. ODO was at 10,000 kms.

Since the alignment, the steering has a developed a play. After about 3-4 seconds of setting the steering straight while the vehicle is in motion, it auto steers by 2-3 degrees to the right. The vehicle also pulled to the right heavily.

The ASC re-aligned it and rotated the tyres. The right pull is now gone but the steering still auto steers. The vehicle doesn't pull significantly anymore. It drives to the line most of the times except a few when it pulls either to the left or right slightly but that could be due to the uneven road.

What could be the reason for auto-steer?
The vehicle is a Creta, if it helps.
Nonstop-driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 11:07   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post

The ASC re-aligned it and rotated the tyres. The right pull is now gone but the steering still auto steers. The vehicle doesn't pull significantly anymore. It drives to the line most of the times except a few when it pulls either to the left or right slightly but that could be due to the uneven road.

What could be the reason for auto-steer?
The vehicle is a Creta, if it helps.
Get it done from a competent tire shop and check the values yourself. Steering should be exactly centered while making adjustments. Usually any ASC overcharge and do a bad job.

OR

Check air pressure
rayjaycleoful is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote