Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 2nd March 2010, 15:09   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Looks fantastic! Neat job there, Motomaverick.

Suggestion : Please paint the silver lug nuts black as well. They are sticking out like a sore thumb.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 18:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Suggestion : Please paint the silver lug nuts black as well. They are sticking out like a sore thumb.
And cover the centre with hubcaps. About Rs50 for a set of 4.
One set of chrome trims if you like.

shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Where do you get chrome trims and how much ?
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:38   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

@Motomavrick, Good job there with the wheels. Very neat.

One question : where did you find the Bosny ? Have been searching for that, but no success yet.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Thanks. Yes I did realized that after looking at the finished work. I guess that will be done inthe coming weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
And cover the centre with hubcaps. About Rs50 for a set of 4.
One set of chrome trims if you like.
I actually painted the wheels to use the wheel cap that I had been using upon the silver wheels (wasnt looking great) but now after looking at the handi work I am tempted to leave the wheels without any wheel cap

Will try to put the caps and see how it looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Motomavrick, Good job there with the wheels. Very neat.

One question : where did you find the Bosny ? Have been searching for that, but no success yet.
Thanks. I got the things from a paints shop in Madivala. Its right next to the Al-hind travel agency.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 12:40   #21
BHPian

Default Re: DIY: Turning Silver Wheels to Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Folks, I have been contemplating converting the original Zen wheels which are of aluminum finish to black as the vxi model. However, numerous enquiries with paint shops led to frustration as they were quoting a minimum of 3k to paint all the wheels to black and that too i was not sure how long the paint will last.

Then i saw a couple of thread mainly "Indica Dashboard Paint" which inspired me to go for a DIY with the wheels. The following are the tools that I bought for the DIY.

1. 3 emery paper grade 120 - Rs 3/ paper
2. Bosny Primer: No 65 Gray - Rs. 220/- for 400ml
3. Bosny Color: No 39 Black - Rs. 220/- for 400ml
4. 2 sets of news paper
5. Plastic bags cut into strips
6. Duct tape
Hi motomaverick, this is a very long time since your original post. Could you share the long term durability of Bosny range. I am planning to apply same combination on my Punto alloys.
saurabh041086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 14:32   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice look to the old rim. This with some white lip would look killer on the Zen. One suggestion for others is to prefer buying High Temp Black instead of the regular black. This will have better bonding to the rim since the rim can become hot during prolonged driving. And since these are acrylic paints, thinner the paint the lesser the durablity. So consider a few extra coats of paint and ensure there are no left out edges from where paint can start peeling.

And yeah, there is another shade called metallic black if you want some depth to the shade. Looks cool as well in the sun.

Last edited by audioholic : 3rd November 2016 at 14:33.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 16:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Hi motomaverick, this is a very long time since your original post. Could you share the long term durability of Bosny range. I am planning to apply same combination on my Punto alloys.
Wow this is very old, i really dont remember but when i sold the car in 2011 the wheels were still painted perfectly. Of course there was chipping on one tire because i scraped the front wheel on a foot path but normal running no issues. Now you also have Plastidip rubber spray cans, lot of bhpian's have used it, check out the thread here (Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...).
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote