Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 21st September 2005, 15:29   #1
Post Does Low profile tyres reduce the life of suspension?

I have a confusion related to low profile tyres , does they reduce the life of suspension and gives a bumpy ride on poor roads???
Please pur some light on it
Wadhwa Ajay
a4_attitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2005, 18:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

They usually do. It depends on the height of the sidewall rather than profile. Profile is a ratio, not an absolute figure. If you switch to much wider tyre and reduce the profile, it is still possible the sidewall height may increase.

The flexing of the sidewall dampens the shock received by the suspension. If the sidewall height is reduced, the flex also reduces, thereby transmitting more shock to the suspension. When I say shock I mean the undulation from the road surface.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2005, 00:00   #3

Originally Posted by a4_attitude
gives a bumpy ride on poor roads???

Yes ...........but still love to have low profile tyres....

I drift the car alot so i love low profile tyres..

Last edited by PJSPEED : 22nd September 2005 at 00:11.
PJSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2005, 02:45   #4

Yup it does effect the ride quality immensly .
If you want to enjoy the best ride your can provide you stick to the original Tyres and Alloys .

p.s I tried going for the extra rubber lower profile tyres in my previous OHC 1.5 and it suffered with the ride quality ... so i went back to the dealer after a week and got the original tyres fitted to get rid of the bumpy ride .
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote