Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2014, 19:28   #301
BHPian
 
satan's_valet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: TN09/KA04
Posts: 296
Thanked: 145 Times
Default

Guys, how is Bridgestone B290?? Just checked the tires at Shivas and he is quoting 4300 for 185/65.
satan's_valet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 12:55   #302
BHPian
 
scorpio07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 284
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Finally made time to get a new set of wheels for my red lady. Went for Conti CC5 4650 a piece from BM Lal Royapettah. Initial observations, steering feels a bit lighter, ride feels good, no wheel well scrapping on full steering lock. Tyres manufactured in 7 Week of 2014. Will update more later

Last edited by scorpio07 : 16th March 2014 at 12:56. Reason: addition of content
scorpio07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 21:18   #303
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 17
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

What size did you go for? Is CEC5 available in 185/65 R14 here in India? Liked the tread pattern of these a lot.
Sameer_Gupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 14:49   #304
BHPian
 
scorpio07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 284
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameer_Gupta View Post
What size did you go for? Is CEC5 available in 185/65 R14 here in India? Liked the tread pattern of these a lot.
Oh yeah forgot to add it. Its 185/65/ R14 CC5 4650 INR per tyre. Planning to Run in for 1000km before commenting on Noise and Handling, initial observations is ride quality is superior, Steering feels light but the extra weight added makes the steering return slow after completing a turn. Do others also runin their new tyres?

Last edited by scorpio07 : 17th March 2014 at 14:53. Reason: Addition
scorpio07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 12:09   #305
BHPian
 
scorpio07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 284
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

What is the weight difference between 175/65/R14 &185/65R14 ? Reason for the question being, after the upsizing, ride is good however whenever i hit any bumps or dips the impact is well translated into the cabin. Its more bouncy, i am guessing the extra weight affects the suspension in some way or the extra width is impacting the bounciness. Will changing to alloys counter the added tyre weight during upsize reduce this? any thoughts
scorpio07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 12:32   #306
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 519
Thanked: 175 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio07 View Post
What is the weight difference between 175/65/R14 &185/65R14 ? Reason for the question being, after the upsizing, ride is good however whenever i hit any bumps or dips the impact is well translated into the cabin. Its more bouncy, i am guessing the extra weight affects the suspension in some way or the extra width is impacting the bounciness. Will changing to alloys counter the added tyre weight during upsize reduce this? any thoughts
I guess it is due to the extra air pressure in tires after upsize. Did you check with a reliable air pressure guage? In my experience, most tire shops and fuel pumps end up filling extra air than required.

If you mostly travel with 1-2 people in car, get it reduced to 30-32 PSI and you will feel the difference immediately. 185 patch tires will be slightly more heavy than 175, but your issue seems to be more related to air pressure.
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 14:05   #307
BHPian
 
scorpio07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 284
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
I guess it is due to the extra air pressure in tires after upsize. Did you check with a reliable air pressure guage? In my experience, most tire shops and fuel pumps end up filling extra air than required.

If you mostly travel with 1-2 people in car, get it reduced to 30-32 PSI and you will feel the difference immediately. 185 patch tires will be slightly more heavy than 175, but your issue seems to be more related to air pressure.
Will try that as well, meanwhile researching to find if the weight gained by the upsized tires can be countered by taking in alloys
scorpio07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 14:11   #308
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 519
Thanked: 175 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio07 View Post
Will try that as well, meanwhile researching to find if the weight gained by the upsized tires can be countered by taking in alloys
Mostly, alloys are lighter than steel rims, so irrespectiv of tire upsize, alloys are better overall. They don't bend easily, don't rust over time and reduce unsprung weight of the wheel (and of course look better).

For Figo, I am a fan of Ford OE alloys, available in two designs and both are decent (not too flashy). Priced cheap as well, a year back I paid rs.15,500/- for 4 alloys with centre wheel caps as well as 16 wheel nuts.
amit1234singla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 20:14   #309
BHPian
 
Esu Junior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calicut
Posts: 65
Thanked: 74 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTorque View Post
If you already had a chance to take it on a highway, request you to update your review. I'm planning to change my Fiesta tyres next weekend to Yoko Earth 1.
Hi,
Earth 1 is silent at triple digit speeds along with comfort and grip.covered 6000kms with this tyre on almost all terrain.real vfm product.
Esu Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 15:01   #310
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 101
Thanked: 134 Times
Question re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Need Bhpians help with a dilemma ...

One of my Figo typres got cut in the sidewall quite badly. The pics say it all! Went to Madhus in Bangalore today and they said it cannot be repaired and it's best to get a new one.

Now, here's my dilemma:

My Figo has the stock tyres that have done 32,000 km so far and there is a good 15,000 km of life left. The one that got cut was almost brand new spare tyre that got rotated in the last wheel rotation just 2 months back

Now, I plan to upgrade to 185 size after another 15,000 km but now this problem has occurred. So, the questions are:

1. Can the tyre be repaired? This would be my first option as then I can just keep this, save a bit of money & just upgrade down the road.

2. If I can't repair it and if I buy a new 175 tyre now then can I keep the 175 as a spare when I upgrade the rest to 185 later?

3. Should I look for a 2nd hand 175 tyre for now and upgrade all 5 of them to 185 later?

Inputs greatly appreciated.
My thanks in advance ...
musa
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20140325_141134.jpg  

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20140325_141105.jpg  

Musa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 15:08   #311
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,230
Thanked: 2,535 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa View Post
Need Bhpians help with a dilemma ...

One of my Figo typres got cut in the sidewall quite badly. The pics say it all! Went to Madhus in Bangalore today and they said it cannot be repaired and it's best to get a new one.

Now, here's my dilemma:

My Figo has the stock tyres that have done 32,000 km so far and there is a good 15,000 km of life left. The one that got cut was almost brand new spare tyre that got rotated in the last wheel rotation just 2 months back

Now, I plan to upgrade to 185 size after another 15,000 km but now this problem has occurred. So, the questions are:

1. Can the tyre be repaired? This would be my first option as then I can just keep this, save a bit of money & just upgrade down the road.

2. If I can't repair it and if I buy a new 175 tyre now then can I keep the 175 as a spare when I upgrade the rest to 185 later?

3. Should I look for a 2nd hand 175 tyre for now and upgrade all 5 of them to 185 later?

Inputs greatly appreciated.
My thanks in advance ...
musa
This tire cannot be repaired.

The best option would be #2.
You can pick up a new 175 sized tired for now and include it in the rotation. When you upgrade to 185's, keep the newest 175 as spare and do a 4 tire rotation.
Later, if you want to upgrade the spare to 185 as well, it can be done.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 21:14   #312
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kerala
Posts: 84
Thanked: 69 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Upsized my stock tyers today.

Current size 195/55 r15. EcoSport Steel Rims.

Tyre: Yokohama SDrives.


Initial Verdict: Car feels more planted, cornering is more fun now.
Attached Images
  

Last edited by limited-edition : 7th April 2014 at 21:15. Reason: Corrected spelling
limited-edition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 13:37   #313
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,230
Thanked: 2,535 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by limited-edition View Post
Upsized my stock tyers today.

Current size 195/55 r15. EcoSport Steel Rims.

Tyre: Yokohama SDrives.


Initial Verdict: Car feels more planted, cornering is more fun now.

Nice idea for a swap of wheels.

Do post pictures of the car when resting on the ground along with difference in ride/steering response/comfort in comparison to the stock tires.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 07:32   #314
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kerala
Posts: 84
Thanked: 69 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Nice idea for a swap of wheels.

Do post pictures of the car when resting on the ground along with difference in ride/steering response/comfort in comparison to the stock tires.
Will get some pics soon. Previous tyres were MRFs, actually the hard rubber cause lot of interior rattle, all of my dashboard rattle stopped after the tyre upgrade.

Steering is bit hard now, steering response is more accurate (Figo's steering response is incomparable, now its better). You can literally feel where the car is heading. Took u-turns @ 40 - 50kms with smile on face, this is good, considering my average driving skills.

Ride/comfort increased, this may be temporary. As tyres will be little soft in the beginning, can throw better comments after couple of months. As of now ride quality increased 70% than MRFs.

Issue: Since 195 just stays at the border of wheel well, tyre splashes lot of mud and dirt on door, fenders and back bumper.

Last edited by limited-edition : 9th April 2014 at 07:35. Reason: correction
limited-edition is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 07:55   #315
Distinguished - BHPian
 
deetjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kochi
Posts: 3,966
Thanked: 7,007 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa View Post
My Figo has the stock tyres that have done 32,000 km so far and there is a good 15,000 km of life left.
I would recommend picking up a new 185/65 R14 tyre as spare. With tubeless the chances of using a spare are greatly reduced. So, you most probably wont need to mix and match between 175 and 185 till you change all of them.

And I would recommend a change of all tyres at 40K. 40K is nice usage for any tyre, especially the stock ones. Any tyre will become hard, noisy, less comfortable and provide less grip as the mileage goes beyond 30k. Also, Bangalore has frequent summer rains and you would need all the grip you can get on our roads.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread dish Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 225 11th October 2017 15:16
Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread arunphilip Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 139 11th October 2017 14:59
Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread anarchy_99 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 429 2nd October 2017 12:53
Toyota Etios & Liva : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread nkrishnap Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 60 8th May 2017 09:17
Ford Ikon : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread dkhatau Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 28 22nd February 2016 10:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks