Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 5th May 2017, 23:30   #511
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post

Stepney- MRF ZV2K which came along with the car.
Current age of my car- Completing 5 yrs this October.

Here are the below option which I am thinking of:
Option1> Replace the damaged tyre with another B290. With this option my car will have 3 tyres old and 1 new. I often do rotation every 5000kms and I might face issues of right/left pull when I do it next time as I will have one tyre which is new.

Option 2> Replace the damaged tyre with MRF and place the stepney tyre in the left side rear wheel. Keep the original tyre in the left rear wheel as the stepney.

Stepney might have been used for 1000kms and considering the fact it was unused for most of the period, what are the risk factors in going with option 2.
1) As a general rule any tire, whether being used or not used, should be replaced in 6 years time, because the rubber degenerates. So the four and half year old MRF ZV2K Spare tire that came along with the car has at least one and half year/ approximately 18,000 Kms left, considering your average yearly usage. This spare tire may be used to replace the damaged rear right tire. The side wall bulged tire, if it is very minor (please post picture), may be kept as spare. After 1.5 years, you could replace all the tires. An austere man in a financial position like me would do that

2) As per your option 1, buy a new B290 tire and replace your damaged tire. In a year and half's time when you got to change all tires, you may retain this approximately 1.5 year old tire as spare and get four new tires. The pulling won't be that bad at all, in my humble opinion. If you are on a tight budget, this would work.

3) Option 2 would work fine, but you still need to replace your MRF spare tire, which you are planning to use in the rear left, in one and half year's time.

4) Or if you absolutely don't want to take any chances at all, you may go for replacement of both the rear left and right tires with new 175/65 R14s. So you won't face any pulling issues that way.

Last edited by BLACKBLADE : 5th May 2017 at 23:36. Reason: Minor correction
BLACKBLADE is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 08:11   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
1)This spare tire may be used to replace the damaged rear right tire. The side wall bulged tire, if it is very minor (please post picture), may be kept as spare. After 1.5 years, you could replace all the tires. An austere man in a financial position like me would do that
Sorry for the delayed reply!

Here is the pic, if you can notice there is a cut underneath the bulge and this is what makes me think to go for replacement.

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tyre.jpg
DragonHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 08:55   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Sorry for the delayed reply!

Here is the pic, if you can notice there is a cut underneath the bulge and this is what makes me think to go for replacement.

Attachment 1637215
Good that you have noticed the bulge. Even though it is apparently smaller it is a potential safety hazard, since the inside of the sidewall is damaged. Since there is a small cut also, it is safe to replace it as early as possible.

Also I re-read your earlier post and I noted a point which I had overlooked earlier. Since majority of your drive involves highway trips, it is not advisable to use the side wall bulged tire as a spare tire, as I had suggested earlier.

Please dispose the damaged tire and replace it with a new one.

After all safety is of paramount importance.

Cheers ! Love and Live to Drive !!
BLACKBLADE is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2017, 17:19   #514

Hi,

I am planning to change the tyres on my 2010 Figo and upsize them and and had a query. (Have changed it once before from stock MRF to Michellen)

Can I simply upsize the tyre to 185/65 R14 or is there anything else required to be done ? Does it require alloy wheels ?
PerfHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2017, 02:13   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfHuman View Post
Hi,

I am planning to change the tyres on my 2010 Figo and upsize them and and had a query. (Have changed it once before from stock MRF to Michellen)

Can I simply upsize the tyre to 185/65 R14 or is there anything else required to be done ? Does it require alloy wheels ?
You can upsize to 185/65/R14 tires from the stock size of 175/65/R14 on your existing rims itself.You can go for Michelins again or Yokohama Earth 1 tires. Apollos perform decently and they come cheaper, if you are on a budget.
BLACKBLADE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 20:14   #516
BHPian

So, based on the advice on this thread I decided to upsize the tyres on my Figo.
Some background: My Figo is 2011 TDCi. The stock Apollo Aceleres had run 56k. In the 6year service last month, the SA had told that the tyres might last for another 5k. I took his advice at face value and went on a trip to Udupi in the first week of July. While returning, I was doing good speeds on the Hassan stretch. I could feel the front right tyre giving a humming noise on patchy roads.
Decided to get the tyres checked and changed independently.

On Friday visited Madhus Ent. and they showed me the extent of damage on the front right tyre. The edges were completely flat!

Had anyway made up my mind to change if there was any sign of damage. Went with 4 Michelin XM2 185/65R14 and kept the best one of the stock as spare.

The service and fitting was very good and fast. I got 1417 manufactured tyres. Balancing and alignment was also completed. Set me back by total of 21k.

Went on a trip to Mysore the next day and could immediately fell the difference in ride - more comfortable /softer than earlier. Wierdly felt that the handling was slightly nervous compared to stock size. Small corrections needed more often on sweeping curves. Road noise was absent on smooth surfaces but not much of a difference on roads that are not super smooth.

Anyway will observe for some more time and report back here.

Thanks for all the advice guys and sharing your experiences here!
Sangre is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 11:29   #517

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
You can upsize to 185/65/R14 tires from the stock size of 175/65/R14 on your existing rims itself.You can go for Michelins again or Yokohama Earth 1 tires. Apollos perform decently and they come cheaper, if you are on a budget.
Thanks Blackblade. Got the tyres upsized to 185/65/R14. Went for Yokohama Earth1 (Rs 4500 per piece)

Few things observed:
1. The braking has changed somehow. I feel there is a bit of a lag when i apply the brakes as compared to my earlier tyres
2. When i had first changed from stock MRF to Michelin, i could notice a significant difference in the ride. With the new Yokohama, i am not feeling any difference at all (was expecting some difference with new tyres)
PerfHuman is offline   Reply With Quote