Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2011, 08:20   #91
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,839
Thanked: 17,179 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I have a genuine and serious doubt here.

What is the maximum Ground Clearance i can gain on my Figo TDCI without Compromising the suspension / steering setup. Would 195/60R15 be too much to ask for?

I dont mind loosing a little of the high speed turn handling capabilities neither would i mind a bit more comfort on bad roads. But my Priority is MAX GC without screwing up the suspension / steering (if at all they would).
185/65-14. Highest profile tyres and 14" means ride will improve. 15" means lesser sidewall so lesser cushioning.

According to me 195 and above will be overkill for Figo. Steering is already heavy and the heavier tyres will bog the car down to a certain extent.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 30th March 2011 at 08:21.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 11:21   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 135 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Thanks vid. I checked with the tyre size calculators and here is the data

175/65 R14
Sidewall : 113.8mm
Radius : 291.5mm
195/60 R15
Sidewall : 117mm
Radius : 307.5mm
185/65 R14
Sidewall : 120.2mm
Radius : 298mm


My doubt is, is it the change in radius of the tyre that would affect GC? If that is so. a 195/60 R15 would give me 16mm more GC and would still have a sidewall thicker by 3.2mm than stock. Please advice.

PS: Another serious doubt is whether it would fit in without fouling with the wheel arches.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 13:50   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
planet_rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bong-land
Posts: 2,319
Thanked: 358 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Gemi - another option is 195-60 R14 (if your oe size is 175-65 R14).

take a look at this post #46: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post1905397
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 14:36   #94
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 135 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Gemi - another option is 195-60 R14 (if your oe size is 175-65 R14).

take a look at this post #46: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post1905397
195/60 R14
Sidewall : 117mm
Radius : 294.8mm

So the gain would be a meagre 3.2 mm on the side wall and if its the radius that determines the GC Just 3.3mm increase in GC.

I would say 185/65 R14 is a better "upgrade" (in the real sense of it) for the Figo unless its for just for the "looks".

But then 195/60 R15 seems too tempting due to the gain in GC And thats what is confusing me.

Last edited by gemithomas : 30th March 2011 at 14:39.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 16:22   #95
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,839
Thanked: 17,179 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
195/60 R14
Sidewall : 117mm
Radius : 294.8mm

So the gain would be a meagre 3.2 mm on the side wall and if its the radius that determines the GC Just 3.3mm increase in GC.

I would say 185/65 R14 is a better "upgrade" (in the real sense of it) for the Figo unless its for just for the "looks".

But then 195/60 R15 seems too tempting due to the gain in GC And thats what is confusing me.
195/60-15 is not advisable because the overall diameter is way off the OE size. It's almost 3 upsizes.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 00:08   #96
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,373
Thanked: 1,007 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Gemi

195/60-15 is not advisable at all.
1. Its too tall for Figo
2. With more GC you might avoid the under body hits but there's every chance of the rear tire scraping against the rear wheel wells.
3. Handling might go for a toss because suspension geometry is set for a different size.
Been there done that, so thats a strict NO from my side

IMO,185/65-14 is the best upgrade for Figo.

Btw, what's issue with stock GC ?
I recently did Cochin - Mahe in Figo with 4 ppl on board. No problem whatsoever, only thing is that you need to be a little careful. Can't fly over speedbreakers like a SUV.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 13:13   #97
BHPian
 
nick17s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 527
Thanked: 86 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Posting on behalf of a friend, Plati Alloys - Tyre Yokohama 195/55/R15

Name:  04032011468 Medium.jpg
Views: 19751
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  04032011469 Medium.jpg
Views: 29686
Size:  71.4 KB

nick17s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 10:54   #98
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 135 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
195/60-15 is not advisable because the overall diameter is way off the OE size. It's almost 3 upsizes.
Thanks Vid. So i guess i'll have ot stick to 185/65. But what would be the actual gain on GC in that case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Gemi

195/60-15 is not advisable at all.
1. Its too tall for Figo
2. With more GC you might avoid the under body hits but there's every chance of the rear tire scraping against the rear wheel wells.
3. Handling might go for a toss because suspension geometry is set for a different size.
Been there done that, so thats a strict NO from my side

IMO,185/65-14 is the best upgrade for Figo.

Btw, what's issue with stock GC ?
I recently did Cochin - Mahe in Figo with 4 ppl on board. No problem whatsoever, only thing is that you need to be a little careful. Can't fly over speedbreakers like a SUV.
The Stock GC is terrible on bad roads especially where there is some construction work going in. I've got hits even on my cross member from small metal stones (The one they use for road tarring). If the tyre pressure goes anything below 30psi i surely get a hit.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 14:32   #99
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,373
Thanked: 1,007 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Thanks Vid. So i guess i'll have ot stick to 185/65. But what would be the actual gain on GC in that case?
Approx 7mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
The Stock GC is terrible on bad roads especially where there is some construction work going in. I've got hits even on my cross member from small metal stones (The one they use for road tarring). If the tyre pressure goes anything below 30psi i surely get a hit.
Have you tried 32 (front) and 30 (Rear)..?
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 08:22   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 135 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Approx 7mm.



Have you tried 32 (front) and 30 (Rear)..?
I normally put 30 all around. Will try this 32 thing. But i always feel the suspension "thud!" is quite irritating with anything above 30. 28 is in my 'like' zone but then the GC gets affected terribly.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 09:25   #101
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,839
Thanked: 17,179 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I normally put 30 all around. Will try this 32 thing. But i always feel the suspension "thud!" is quite irritating with anything above 30. 28 is in my 'like' zone but then the GC gets affected terribly.
The suspension thud is because the rebound rate is setup too high. You go over a speed breaker when your the only one in the car and the left wheel will keep thudding over small humps.

Changing to alloys will help a bit as it will reduce unsprung weight. Larger dia tyres will also reduce this.

No use changing tyre pressure to reduce the thud. Keep 32 front and 30 rear. I found that to be the best setup.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 17:59   #102
BHPian
 
ess_a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nai Dilli
Posts: 306
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakneck View Post
which is the best upsize for a ford figo,which comes with 175/65 r14 tyres.did a little research and found 185/55r 15 to be the perfect upsize,but that tyre size is not available in any of the brands,which is the next best upgrade,thank you.


Tyre code Diameter Circumference Difference
---------- -------- ------------- ----------
205/50 R14 561 mm 1762 mm -1.67 %
185/55 R14 559 mm 1756 mm -1.93 %
195/55 R14 570 mm 1791 mm 0 %
205/55 R14 581 mm 1825 mm 1.93 %
175/60 R14 566 mm 1778 mm -0.79 %
185/60 R14 578 mm 1816 mm 1.32 %
165/65 R14 570 mm 1791 mm 0 %
175/65 R14 583 mm 1832 mm 2.28 %
175/50 R15 556 mm 1747 mm -2.47 %
185/50 R15 566 mm 1778 mm -0.72 %
195/50 R15 576 mm 1810 mm 1.03 %
165/55 R15 563 mm 1769 mm -1.33 %
175/55 R15 574 mm 1803 mm 0.6 %
165/60 R15 579 mm 1819 mm 1.56 %
165/50 R16 571 mm 1794 mm 0.23 %
175/50 R16 581 mm 1825 mm 1.98 %
Was reading the post when something odd struck me. The stock tires of Figo are indeed 175/65 R 14, but then why is the list showing an error of 2.28% for the same tire dimension? Is it some typo with this particular entry, or is the list above w.r.t. to some other stock tire dimension?

Last edited by ess_a : 26th May 2011 at 18:00. Reason: Typo
ess_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 21:34   #103
BHPian
 
vishnuvijay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cochin
Posts: 173
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

does the warranty get void if the alloys and tyres are purchased from outside but installed at the ford dealership itself?
vishnuvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 21:31   #104
BHPian
 
higautham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 95
Thanked: Once
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

hi friends...i nee urgent help..

my friend got his i20 asta delivered today. he is going for an upsize to 205/55/15 XM1+.
So i got a deal for his stock 185/65/14 Appolo Acelere's, Rs 8000 for four tires.
Is it a good deal, should i go for it?
I'm planning to put it on my Figo which is currently running on OE MRFs.

Thanks in advance
higautham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 22:55   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
MaserQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 49 Times
Default re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Not a bad deal at all for brand new tyres. Aceleres do a decent job and 185/65 R14s would give your Figo a bit more ground clearance as well. Go for it.
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread dish Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 190 16th January 2017 16:39
Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread anarchy_99 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 419 19th December 2016 03:21
Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread arunphilip Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 97 13th December 2016 14:38
Toyota Etios & Liva : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread nkrishnap Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 54 27th November 2016 21:38
Ford Ikon : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread dkhatau Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 28 22nd February 2016 10:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks