Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 8th April 2010, 00:00   #1
Default Duplicates or second quality Good Year Tyres ?

Two days back, I bought a pair of Good Year Eagle NCT 5 185 X 65 X R14 TL tires from one of the authorized dealers at Trivandrum, for my Chevy Optra. I was astonished to see the wear indicator thread/stripes in one of them(usually orange & red in color, which are normally moulded as part of the tire during its manufacturing) could be scratched off to reveal the black surface of the tire which defeats the whole purpose of the indicator itself. In normal cases this stripe will stay until your treads have worn out whereas here it would go off if you run the tyres for a few kms. My older set which were Eagle F1s had it till the end.

The other tire is good with the orange indicator distinctly molded in to the rubber and a red line inside the groove. The former one apparently did not have the stripe/thread moulded while manufacturing and was later painted on the surface, which means that it shouldn't normally pass the quality assurance which raises 3 questions.

1) Are there seconds (rejected tires) being sold in the market and are people getting cheated ?
2) Are people aware of this and still compromising on the safety without letting the company know what the dealers are doing.?
3) Are the stripes not of much importance and whether different batches made in different units/locations follow different procedures.

It's two days now that I had sent a couple of mails on the company site for which I 'm yet to receive an answer. I had asked them to explain and confirm whether the first one is a genuine Good Year Tyre. And if it is, that they should explain how this could happen and the difference in the two.

I neither have fitted the tyres nor told the dealer about it. Talking to him may solve my problem, as he would be happy to replace it and keep it silent. I want to ensure that others are not taken for a ride too. The delay in the answer gives me a feeling that Good Year is also probably a company working like Skoda, where the head quarters may not take responsibility for their dealers action. Further, these kind of small things go unnoticed as nobody cares about these fine details and nobody might have informed them.

Does anybody have a direct e-mail id to contact Good Year? Only online posting for customer assistance is possible at their site and I had already shot a couple of complaints in the past two days.

I would like to get your feedback too about how to proceed with this if I don't get an answer from the head quarters. Please also shed some light on these colored stripes on the tires as I haven't seen them with some other brands which puts me in a dilemma.

(BTW, if you feel that my explanation is not enough to give an insight in to the issue, I could post the pics too).
sajanpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 10:38   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

In all probability, you got a used tyre.

Not the company's fault if the dealer decided to sell you a used tyre.

You are wasting your time with the emails.

Take the tyree back to the dealer and ask him to give you a brand new tyre.

Also, it would be nice if you could post pics.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 8th April 2010 at 10:39.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 10:50   #3
Team-BHP Support

Yes, please post the pics! Especially of these "wear indicator lines" you are speaking of.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote