Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 29th April 2010, 20:37   #1
BHPian

Default New steel rim out of balance?

Last weekend, I picked up 4.5J Esteem steel rims (4 nos.) to replace the existing steel rims on my Zen from Essar Automotives, an authorised distributor for MGP on Siddiah Road. I had decided to upgrade from stock MRF tires to 155/65 R13 Yokohama A Drives and also bought the same from Shankar Enterprises, New BEL Road.

During the new tires and rims install at Shankar Enterprises, while balancing the wheels, the mechanic found one of the rim to be 'out of balance' and asked me to exchange it. He said the rim probably has some manufacturing defect. I could see this new rim & tyre combo was wobbling on the balancing machine, unlike the remaining 3 which were balanced without issues, with some minor weights.

I called up Essar and the guy on the phone was not willing to accept the new rim would have any issue, after all its from the Company itself and all these years he never heard of a new one having a problem. I said, if it was a defect in manufacturing, he could as well send the rim back to Company for which he says they would not accept it. Tire mechanic says its not unusual and at times seen such thing happening on brand new cars. I asked him to explain the issue to Essar guy over the phone and both stuck to their points and sharing each others experience!

Finally, the Essar guy has asked me to come over tomorrow evening for an exchange provided the rim has no tyre/nut or wrenching marks, which isnt the case since the new tire was mounted on the rim. His argument is he cant sell that rim to someone else if there are visible marks, as he is very sure it should not have a problem. I was like, why would you want to resell if its having an issue for which he argued its not at all possible for the rim to be faulty.

I being in the middle of all this don't understand who is right since I have a very limited knowledge about rims and tires. So I wanted to know if anyone else has gone through something similar for a brand new steel rim and provide any advise on my options, if he decides not to accept it back and give me an exchange.
Weathered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 23:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yep, New rims can definitely have a problem. They can be out of center too. Had a similar experience with a new rim taken from a Maruti Show room. Got it replaced free from them.

Stick to your guns and throw the rim back at the guy you got it from. Take him to a balancing guy near his shop and prove it to him that the rim is defective.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 23:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Or shoot a video of the wheel running on the balancing machine.
And show it to him.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 23:52   #4
BHPian

Got the rim exchanged today evening, had to explain them about the wobble (video clip helped). Looked like the store guy repacked the rim and he reiterated that Maruti wont accept it back, once shipped to these guys. Anyway, thats his problem, replaced rim is fine. Time to sample the ride on new rim & tires combo

Thanks guys!
Weathered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 08:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
Looked like the store guy repacked the rim and he reiterated that Maruti wont accept it back, once shipped to these guys.
No wonder you'd have a long debate; its a loss for him unless he manages reselling this off to another unsuspecting customer. Good that you bought out this point here in the forum.

Last edited by aargee : 1st May 2010 at 08:33.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote