Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 12th May 2010, 13:41   #31
BHPian

Thanks for those pictures rjstyles.
Windy the idea seems good but not sure if thats gonna work, will leave that for the gurus to answer.
prguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 15:26   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Wagon R tire upgrade, inner tire wall touching suspension

My michelin 155/65 R13 OEM size tyres are rouching the arches when she is fully loaded with 5 members and luggage. I have recently moved from 5.5" R13 plati rims to 5" R13 Neo rims to overcome this, but it still persists.

I am planning to add suspension spacers (1 inch) to my wagonR's suspension. I have got quote from local workshop as follows

if only 2 spaces only for back then its 1000Rs , else for 4 spacers, its 2790
Maruti service center quoted 2000Rs for 4 spacers.

Guys I am bit worried about, please share your experience in adding spacers to suspension and their cost details

Mods: I would like to get some advice on the same issue, thats why using the same post. please delete it , if anything against T&C.
thelightening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 19:22   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post

I am planning to add suspension spacers (1 inch) to my wagonR's suspension. I have got quote from local workshop as follows
Hi! Do let me know if your suspension modification on the WagonR worked. I'm looking real hard for a solution and it's driving me nuts!

To give you a quick background, I have an old Wagon R (Duo) which originally came with 145/70 R13 JK Ultimas. I swapped them on day one (in 2007) to 155/70 R13 on the stock steel wheels, because the dealer didn't have 155/65 R13's.

While the 155/70 tyres, (Accelere's) were just about ok, and lasted me 60K kms, they became hard as stone recently with age. What is also interesting that at about 45K Kms i put 5J alloys on the car. Normally the car used to have just one or two people in it, but at times when the car was loaded up, the rear fender lip used to scrape the tyre sidewall, which never happened when the steel wheels were on.

And now for my real problem.

I have 165/65 Good Year Ducaro's (the tyres are excellent!) and they my rear fender-lips have fallen in love with my tyre sidewall. I thought the problem may have to do with my dampers, since the rebound didn't seem controlled when I went over crests. So I replaced the dampers. Still no luck.

And I've been reading about Fender-Lip-Rolling - which honestly seems my only way out, but i don't know where in Bombay / Pune to get it done. Any ideas on Suspension Mods, and Fender-Lip rolling (essentially curling the inner lip to as flat as possible so it doesn't scrape) would help!
carthick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 23:21   #34
BHPian

carthick99, I have installed aluminum spacers in the rear.. and
so far with gods grace, I haven't met the problem again.
Old 16th July 2012, 09:14   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
carthick99, I have installed aluminum spacers in the rear..
Thanks a ton for the prompt revert! Any clue as to where I can get the aluminum spacers from. I'm in Pune and was wondering if your contact could ship these? If you can PM me his details I can call and check and hopefully try and source a set.
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:21   #36

Hi guys... I am still on the hunt for aluminum spacers for my car so please PM me any contact info on people who I can buy them from, but I have found an interim solution and am posting this information and pictures in case someone else (like me!) lands up in the same predicament.

I found a mechanic in Pune who had done a friend's old Zen suspension mod & called him. He said that he would take an hour to fix this issue but would need a couple of days to source the up-sized coil pads to increase the rear ride height. He also mentioned that it would cost a total of Rs. 600/- inclusive of labour. So off I went!

Since I'm new to Pune his workshop took a little finding, but once there, he completed the job in forty minutes flat. He knew exactly what to do and had the tools for the job. Post the install i haven't had an issues, but what I'm waiting to see is whether it will foul again once I have people and luggage - which I hope to try next weekend. For now, it's fingers crossed.

If this doesn't work, then it is stiffer springs - which he says will cost about 1 to 1.5K. I might just go for that mod, because the car is now (in my opinion) too bouncy at the rear and i would personally like a stiffer setup. But who am I kidding - it's a Wagon R and not a performance motor.

Do check out the attached PDF for the pics and more details.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WagonR-Upsized-Coil-Pad.pdf (1.68 MB, 354 views)
Old 6th August 2012, 20:43   #37
BHPian

Carthick, its the same coil pad in that presentation, which is said to be spacer