Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 6th May 2010, 15:55   #1

Default Replacement tyres not available for Fiat Adventure

Hi ... am a long time lurker here and need some desperate help from you experts. I own a Fiat Adventure Sport for the last 4 years, an outstanding vehicle used for highway runs upto our cottage in Ranikhet where we use the vehicle for light off roading.

I am now told that the OEM Pirelli 175/80 R14 tyres are no longer available in the country. This is after many phone calls to several Fiat dealers and also Pirelli tyre dealers.

I am not quite sure what to do since the vehicle was bought for a purpose and the grip given by the tyres was essential to make the trip up a narrow, rocky and extremely steep path up to my cottage.

What replacement tyres do I get and even if there are no tyres like the Pirelli Citynet available ... whats a safe tyre to install on this rim ?

Thanks
Vishnu Som
Associate Editor
NDTV

Last edited by Eddy : 6th May 2010 at 16:04.
mirage2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 16:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

You have a genuine excuse to upgrade your tires
195/70R14 is the best upsize .speedo and OD readings will remain the same.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 16:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
You have a genuine excuse to upgrade your tires
195/70R14 is the best upsize .speedo and OD readings will remain the same.
Hi Satya ... Any brands out there you can suggest ... My poor Adventure is limping presently and desperately needs some new legs. Also ... will the size you specified affect the stability, safety of the car in any way?

Cheers
Vishnu
Old 6th May 2010, 16:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

@mirage2000: Pirelli doesn't have direct presence in India, please look at different brands.
Stock size for adventure is hardly available, you can find good upsize 195/70R14 in Michelin XM1+ or Bridgestone Turanza ER-60.

For similar tyre related query, read here (Michelin "Energy XM1+" or Goodyear "Assurance")
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 16:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage2000 View Post
Hi Satya ... Any brands out there you can suggest ... My poor Adventure is limping presently and desperately needs some new legs. Also ... will the size you specified affect the stability, safety of the car in any way?

Cheers
Vishnu

The wider tires should actually give you better performance -braking and handling.
On the flip side ,your fuel consumption figures might go up slightly .
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 18:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage2000 View Post
Hi ... am a long time lurker here and need some desperate help from you experts. I own a Fiat Adventure Sport for the last 4 years, an outstanding vehicle used for highway runs upto our cottage in Ranikhet where we use the vehicle for light off roading.

I am now told that the OEM Pirelli 175/80 R14 tyres are no longer available in the country. This is after many phone calls to several Fiat dealers and also Pirelli tyre dealers.

I am not quite sure what to do since the vehicle was bought for a purpose and the grip given by the tyres was essential to make the trip up a narrow, rocky and extremely steep path up to my cottage.

What replacement tyres do I get and even if there are no tyres like the Pirelli Citynet available ... whats a safe tyre to install on this rim ?

Thanks
Vishnu Som
Associate Editor
NDTV
Hi Vishnu,

Welcome to team-bhp! I've read all your posts at Bharat-Rakshak (Been a long-time lurker there) and also enjoyed watching your TV series on MRCA contenders. Great Show! I envy your job!

I own an Adventure too. It's true that the original tyre design is no longer available. Although it is possible to get the same size in Pirelli Citynet, the tread design currently available is slightly different. It is said to give similar performance although. Check this message posted in Palio Users Group which also gives the contact details of the Pirelli distributor from where the tyre can be sourced through courier:

Yahoo! Groups

Pics of this new Citynet design are available here:

Yahoo! Groups: Groups Error

Most Adventure owners graduate to 195/70/14 but the tread designs available in the market are the highway types which actually improve the ride and fuel efficiency. The original Pirellis although great on kutcha roads produce a lot of friction and noise on city roads and highway.

All the best!

Last edited by directinjection : 6th May 2010 at 18:12.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 19:04   #7
BHPian

hey! i think Mrf makes tires just like the OE ones you got with your adventure. i dont remember the name off hand, but they very similair in pattern.!
SunChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 14:57   #8

Following on from the excellent posts in this thread in reply to Vishnu's query I did contact the Pirelli importers in Gujarat who advised me that they have stopped importing the 175/80R and recommended that I change over to 195/70R 14 Chrono (Pirelli). When I told them I was interested in procuring only one tyre (since I busted two during my drive to Goa and back from Bangalore-(thanks to our wunnerful truckers who leave stones on highways after completing their own repairs!) he advised me to change at least two. My question to all you knowledgeable folks out there - will there be a problem if I change my front wheels only, to the 195/70Rs and retain the original 175/70 Rs on the rear ones. Question 2) - is there an easily available equivalent to the Pirelli 195/70Rs among the more common brands which would save me having to courier the tyres over from Gujarat. Would appreciate urgent advice since I don't fancy getting stuck with a flat tyre in the mad traffic of Bengaluru!! Many thanks in advance.
n.b - my Adventure is almost three years old with about 33k on the clock.
sudsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 15:02   #9

Typos in my earlier message - pls read 175/80 in lieu 175/70 wherever it appears.
(Now I know why I was always bad in maths)
sudsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 17:05   #10
BHPian

@Vishnu. I upgraded to 195/70R14 Yokohama A-drives. Very good tyres. In the absence of a 175/80, upgrade is the only option. Just be careful when driving under full load, as the outer side of the tyre will touch the insides of the wheel arch (the black moulding). This goes after some wear in the tyre.

@sudsan. Upsizing only two tyres may not be a good thing. Experts will answer better.
thalavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 13:50   #11
BHPian

Go for michelin xm1+ . It is a very good tyre. I was also apprehensive about going for 195/70 14 . But after shifting to michelin it was proven wrong. It improved grip and handling and hasnt affected FE . The tyre life will also be good as from my experience .
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 18:56   #12

Default Re: Replacement tyres not available for Fiat Adventure

Hi Adventure owners and fans ... After the advice offered here, I went in for 195/70 14 Michelin XM-1s as replacement tyres for my Adventure. This was done about a year back and the experience, unfortunately, has been disastrous. The tyres, especially the front right one, hit the wheel arch whenever there is a `wave' or undulation in the road. Driving in the mountains, which is what I bought the Adventure for, seems dangerous. Since this experience, we use the Adventure only in Delhi and that too, not very often which is a pity since I needed the car for a specific purpose - driving up a steep kaccha road in Ranikhet. The ground clearance the Adventure offered was precisely what I needed. There is little point in selling the Adventure and I am toying with the idea of having an expert check out the suspension to rule out a suspension fault. The shockers seem a bit weaker than when we bought the car, but I can't be sure I'm imagining things. If anyone has any advise for this genuine Fiat fan, then please go ahead. My Adventure is dying and needs a lease of life !

Cheers
Vishnu
Old 6th July 2012, 11:40   #13

Hi all, I upgraded my Adventure tires after a lot of research. Considered MRF ZLO-185/70/14, Michelin, Bridgestone and everything out there. After reading about 'scraping' when 195/70/14 was used I had reservations. Nevertheless, I took the risk and got Kelly VFM-1 (a Goodyear brand) 195/70/14. The results have been good - No scraping with 4 adults (tyre geometry different from other brands?). Very low noise compared to the stock Pirellis. Lighter steering. I will post an update after a month.
-Bala
Bala_blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 11:25   #14

Hi all, I just got back from a long drive of 1000 Kms. The tires are solid. Very low sound on the highway and I can confirm that there was no 'tire scraping' even on bad roads. Total load was 5 passengers with luggage. Tire pressure was 32. No issues at all. The FE seems to have improved too. I got 15 Kms/Lt, full time AC on. The calculation method was full to full. Driving speed avg 85 kms/Hr and RPM avg 2-2.5k . Engine oil was changed before the trip. (15w40 Shell Helix). Note- The recommended tire pressure is 34 for 5 pax and luggage. I reduced it to 32 as the car was a bit bumpy at that pressure.
-Bala
Bala_blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 13:02   #15
BHPian

From my experience, full to full method for measuring FE is suspect in case of Fiat Adventure. The auto shut off feature for fuel doesn't always work. Many times, it shuts off early and then have to hand fill it. I think this is a common problem with Adventure.
I always did fuel empty light to fuel empty light method The light that comes on when in a slope doesn't count. Only when the light comes on and stays on in a plane surface counts
Glad to hear that the tyre doesn't scrape with the Kelly tyres.

@mirage2000. I also had the same problem with my Yoko tyres. Later on, after some miles with some wear, the scraping stopped (though not completely - at real extremes, fully loaded, landing into a dip on road at higher speeds, caused scraping).

Last edited by thalavoy : 10th July 2012 at 13:06.
thalavoy is offline   Reply With Quote