Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 21st November 2010, 14:47   #16
BHPian

Hi All,

Can you please look into my above query and help me?

Thanks in advance.
mayukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 16:13   #17

Dear myukh,

Since I started this thread I should have posted how my problem got solved and what was the issue. Guess its never to late so here is the climax of the story.

After repeated disappointments from various tyre shops. I called goodyear wheel assist and was amazed by the prompt manner in which they handled the matter. Within minutes I had an appointment fixed with one of their engineers and his contact details were sent by sms. On the D day the engineer examined the tyre and declared it to be a high pressure sidewall leak. He then checked the wear and tear and concluded that as the tyre was almost new I would not have to pay for the new tyre. I got a brand new tyre from the tyre shop at which inspection was done. All I had to pay was a nominal labor charge for dismounting the old typre and putting on new one.

So in your case, if the tyre I under warranty I suggest you escalate it to the manufacturer.

Trust it of help. Do let us know when its solved.
lawyer123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 22:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
Bumping up an old thread as I find it to be most related.

My stock MRF ZVTS tubeless tyre on the left rear wheel of my Ford Fiesta is behaving peculiarly. The tyre is slowly but continously deflating on its own if left or driven. I noticed this about 2-3 weeks back. At first, I refilled and continued driving as there was no apparent problem in driving. But once I found that the air pressure is going down almost 1-1.5 psi everyday (I use a digital air pressure gauge), I thought I have got leaks. I visited a reputed tyre shop here and asked them to repair. But they could not find any such leaks. I asked them to check sidewalls too but nothing was found.

I came back refilling that tyre. But, sadly the story continues. So literally I have to fill up that tyre every 3-4 days which is quite irritating for me now.

Please help.

Note: I got 1 leak in that same tyre 2-3 months and got rectified it after couple of days.
The only reason a tubeless tyre will bleed air - other than the punctures which you have fixed as you say is a problem with the valve and/or the fit of the bead against the rim. If your rim has taken a banging recently that is almost surely the cause. Steel rims are more prone to this problem. Note that the bead need to fit on both the outside and the inside of the rim.

A leaky valve can easily be detected while the tyre is mounted. The roadside guy you tell you with a dab of spit on the mouth of the valve !! You can check yourself with a little soapy water bubble.

The beading is more difficult to address :

Strip the tyre from the rim and have it examined on both edges, check the beading on the tire and inner wall of the tyre as well. Note below :

"In place of the tube in a normal tyre, the tyre and the rim of the form an air container in a tubeless tyre. To 'seal in the air', in this tyre-rim compartment, the inner wall of the tyre is throughly lined with an impermeable, air-tight membrane. The inner liner of the tubeless tyre is constructed of halo-butyl/chlorobutyl and other materials. This performs, in essence, the important chore of substantially reducing the permeation of air, as compared to the natural rubber inner liner, a function of which is why we use a butyl tube in a tubed tyre."
Unquote

Note that a bad rim fit may not show a leak when the tyre is dipped in water because of lack of load. Have the tyre/wheel balanced as well.
Garipagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:18   #19
BHPian

Thanks for all the help lawyer & garipagol.

I think I have not taken any banging recently to bend an alloy.

Anyway, I will try with the suggestions you have given. I will try to check the valve first (probably with soapy water bubble). If the problem persists, I will try to get the MRF dealer here involved.

Thanks for the help again.
mayukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 11:19   #20
BHPian

now figure this out, when I recently got all four tyres changed along with new rims and drive back home, next morning I found front left tyre to be completely flat.

I drove to the shop with stepney and got the tyre checked, the guy spent 5 minutes checking for any leaks from the tyre, sidewall, where tyre sidewall meets rim sufavce and valve but couldn't spot any! I do not visualize any mischief too as the car is parked securely.

I asked him to change the valve and refit the tyre, the tyre's been alright since then.

Last edited by rock75 : 27th November 2010 at 11:20.
rock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 12:47   #21
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mayukh,

I had the same problem with my Santro. The culprit was a leaking beading. This is not visible when the tyre is inflated to its optimum.

I took the car to XL Tyre point near my place. The supervisor seemed to know a lot about tyres. He asked the boys to deflated the tyre to a much lower psi (say 15-20) and then check for beading leaks.

I had mine rectified this way. You could try the same.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 12:35   #22
BHPian

Default Re: Strange problem with tubeless tyre

I purchased 4 Tubeless Apollos 175/70 R13 in November '12. They were on stock steel rims. The tires used to deflate by 15 psi in 3 days. Since i didnt use the car much, i got the tires inflated with a foot pump and went to the shop from where i had purchased them. The valves were found to be the culprit, and he changed them without any additional charge. All was okay for a month. Today, i thought that i should get the pressures checked since it had been a month. On checking, the pressures for all tires were just 1-2 psi lower. So i thought that it was quite okay. Losing 2 psi over a month is normal. I went home(just half a km with good roads), parked the ford and had my breakfast. While parking i heard air leaking from the front left tire. I tried to find the source. The value was leaking. I loosened the dust cap a little, and the leaking sound went away. I thought it was the end of it. 2 hours later, as i was going with dad for some work in his car, my eyes fell on the front left tire of mine. It was completely flat. I have changed the flat with the spare and am trying to contemplate what to do. The shop where i got the pressure checked was local, but he is a trusted one. Also, i got down while he was checking the tires to ask him the individual pressures, so he couldnt have made punctures. What to do now?
searchingheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 13:49   #23
BHPian

Is it possible you just have a regular puncture and at the same rime the valve cap was loose. Perhaps the best suggestion is to get the tyre checked at a reliable shop and we can then advise you better.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 14:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
I purchased 4 Tubeless Apollos 175/70 R13 in November '12. They were on stock steel rims. The tires used to deflate by 15 psi in 3 days. Since i didnt use the car much, i got the tires inflated with a foot pump and went to the shop from where i had purchased them. The valves were found to be the culprit, and he changed them without any additional charge. All was okay for a month. Today, i thought that i should get the pressures checked since it had been a month. On checking, the pressures for all tires were just 1-2 psi lower. So i thought that it was quite okay. Losing 2 psi over a month is normal. I went home(just half a km with good roads), parked the ford and had my breakfast. While parking i heard air leaking from the front left tire. I tried to find the source. The value was leaking. I loosened the dust cap a little, and the leaking sound went away. I thought it was the end of it. 2 hours later, as i was going with dad for some work in his car, my eyes fell on the front left tire of mine. It was completely flat. I have changed the flat with the spare and am trying to contemplate what to do. The shop where i got the pressure checked was local, but he is a trusted one. Also, i got down while he was checking the tires to ask him the individual pressures, so he couldnt have made punctures. What to do now?

There will be a spring loaded valve screw inside the valve body which needs to be tightened to prevent any air loss. If you have observed whenever the tyrewallah wants to remove air completly from the tyre, he will insert a small tool into the valve and turns it in anti-clockwise direction and removes it. Then the air inside the tyre will gush out. Probably the inside valve was not tigntened completly after they changed the tubless neck for this one tyre. Get it tightened once at any roadside shop and see if it still leaks
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 14:05   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Small punctures can be really deceptive. I had problems with a slow (~1psi per day) puncture on the Firenza in the LH rear of my Santro. Struggled with it for over four months. Today I got information that the new owner (>3 months) finally caught it. A long nail in the tread area. Was not found for over six months.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 14:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Small punctures can be really deceptive. I had problems with a slow (~1psi per day) puncture on the Firenza in the LH rear of my Santro. Struggled with it for over four months. Today I got information that the new owner (>3 months) finally caught it. A long nail in the tread area. Was not found for over six months.

The fool proof way to detect such puncture's is to use a bottle of soap water,preferably a dish washing liquid like pril.Pour a couple of drops(approx 10 ml) into the bottle and fill up with water. Go to the suspect tyre and soak the tyre with this soap water.Leave for sometime(2 mins) . Even the minutest leak will show up since the soap will start foaming at that area and you cannot miss it! Once you are done with a section of tyre, move the car a bit forward/backward and do it on the other exposed section. You will be able to complete the whole tyre with max three iterations! I have identified a very very minute puncture in this way!
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 15:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

If reduction in air pressure is observed it is always advisable to get it checked because nails that pierces will get stuck in tubeless tyres. I had such an experience and there was no problem after inflated and the vehicle traveled 200 odd kms. I insisted for a thorough check with a repair shop who was so reluctant and then could locate the nail and then got it repaired,
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 15:56   #28
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi everyone,

Seek advise on tire valves.

On ebay a set of five universal valves is being sold for ₹90 including delivery.
http://m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=231353293510

My puncture shop quoted 175 for one Dunlop brand valve.
Can I buy the ebay listed one ?
ritz3645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 17:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Hi everyone,

On ebay a set of five universal valves is being sold for ₹90 including delivery.

How confident are you about the quality of the item being sold online? I am not sure I would be very confident, so it is a difficult question to answer. If you are comfortable with what you are getting, then go for it. I would not have brought it as there is no manufacturer name, date or anything to go by.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 18:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Hi everyone,

Stay away, I got fooled into buying something like this from else where.
It was nothing more than regular valves with plastic covering that looked like Chrome and chrome caps.

Don't make the same mistake I did
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote