Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 8th June 2010, 23:15   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default The tyre you dream of seeing in India at the earliest

Well, I was talking to the Continental Sales Manager today and he mentioned that in the west, they have launched a new UHP(ultra high performance) tyre called the Continental ContiSportContact 5 P.

That got me thinking. I decided to make this thread to list out all the tyres sold by companies present in India abroad.

Leading the list is Bridgestone.

They have fed the enthusiasts pretty ordinary tyres uptil now. The saddest part is that they have some amazing tyres on sale elsewhere in the world.

They have amazing stuff like the Potenza RE 050 Pole Position, RE960A, RE11, etc...

What I would love to see
is the RE11. It is available in a variety of sizes starting from 15". Will fit the Civics, Swifts, Lancers, Balenos, etc... It's realistic to dream of BS bringing it to India.

The Bridgestone Turanza ER300 is a really good all rounder tyre competing with the Michelin Primacy HP and the Continental ContiPremiumContact 2 elsewhere in the world. Here in India, we get this tyre in only ONE size. 195/65 R15. It comes as OEM on the Altis, the SX4 VXi and used to come as OEM on the Skoda Laura(in 205/55 R16). Unfortunately, once the OEM tyre wears out for the Laura, you dont have too many options to upgrade within Bridgestone. Today though, you have the Conti CPC2 which is a worthy competitor to the ER300.

Continental:

They actually do bring in almost all their good tyres (for cars) into India. They even have the ContiSportContact 3 in 18, 19 and 20 inches. I wish they bring in the CSC3 in 17" as well. That would be good for Civics and Skodas and Mercs!

Their latest tyre the CSC 5P is available only in 18" and above. I dont see any point in bringing them to India though.

Michelin:

Bring in the Primacy HP in a lot more sizes. Bring in the PS3 is as many sizes as possible. Apart from this, what they sell in India is pretty much what they sell abroad. Cant really fault them.

Yokohama:

Best of the lot. My only gripe is that the AD08s still havent arrived here more than a year after they were launched.

The C drives also should have been available in a lot more sizes. At least the situation is better now. They were initially available only in 225/60 R15. Now they are available in many more sizes.

What about you guys? Which tyres do you want to see and why?
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 01:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

There are two on my list. the first one is actually a tire I have used on my Zen ages ago when Bridgestone was importing a lot of their models. This was a model called RE66 or were they RE88. I had these in 13" size, do not recall the remaining dimensional details but will read them off the XM1 sidewalls tomorrow if someone is interested. Anyways coming back to the RE66s, these were made in Japan and served me well in excess of 56K kms. However the reason that I want them back is that apart from being rugged (I can recall maybe one or two punctures) they were the grippiest set of tires that I have laid my hands on and would stick to the Highways out of Bombay like a leech in the worst of monsoon downpours. I replaced them with Michelin Certis only after I aquaplaned once too often since I had driven them bald.

The other model that I am awaiting is the Advan dB series from Yokohama. During my meeting with the Yokohama SM, we were checking out the 17" S drives he has on his Swift. While the S drives gripped and rolled better than the dBs they were comparatively more noisier. I wondered aloud if they had a tyre which was a combination of the S drive and the AVS dB and pat came the reply regarding the Advan dB.

So these are the two that I would want to see on my rides.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 01:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Khoj, since those BS RE66s were being used ages ago, I'm pretty sure they have been phased out now. RE88s are still being sold in India though. I dont know if that was what you were referring to.

RE88s come as OEM on the Cedia and used to come as OEM on the old Corolla. Both cars had 195/60 R15. Some Qualis's also came with 195/70 R14 RE88s. Grip pretty well but very very noisy. And hard rubber which lasts long.

However, there is no Yoko Advan DB series. I think what he meant was Advan Sport. They are silent and are much much grippier than the S drives.
Old 9th June 2010, 02:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it was a long time ago 1999 or 2000 and they were RE66 for sure then.
The RE 88 must have came to my mind as my Cedia came with those. I will call up Gaurav about the Advan + dB, pretty sure he said the same would be coming in a year or so down the line, will update.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 10:50   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Nikhil- Is the Primacy HP still being imported? Last I checked there was only old stock which seemed to me that they were being phased out. If they have 245/45R17 in the HP those will be my next upgrade once the PP2's on my 5er wear out. I have the HP on our 520 in OE size and they are so much more comfortable than the PP2's with nearly the same grip levels.
I wasn't too impressed with the ER300 that came on my Altis, I switched them for A-drives and am happy with them. IMO, A-drives are the best all rounder at the best price.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 10:48   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Bridgestone offers such crappy tyres in India. Stiff compound, low rolling resistance, maximum fuel efficiency, long life. But wait, isn't that exactly what 99% of this country wants? Too bad for the other 1% (i.e. us enthusiasts).

The one tyre I really want in India : Maxxis Mudzillas. Too bad Maxxis took them off the shelves ever since they (rightly) got sued for design imitation.
Name:  MaxxisMudzilla.jpg
Views: 7244
Size:  40.5 KB

Image source
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 12:47   #7
BHPian

And add Yokohama Geolander M/Ts to that.
fiery enzyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 13:21   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The one tyre I really want in India : Maxxis Mudzillas. Too bad Maxxis took them off the shelves ever since they (rightly) got sued for design imitation.
Attachment 364485

Image source
Hey, aren't they available in India?? Atleast in bangalore they are readily available from a Maxxis Distributor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
I think even these are available. Aren't they?
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 13:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I think even these are available. Aren't they?
exactly. I too was under the impression that they are available in India. Experts, please confirm it's [yokohama geolander] availability.
scuderiamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 14:25   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Both are available. Limited sizes though.
Old 10th June 2010, 20:15   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Dunlop Direzza Starspec...what I have on my M3 now. Awesome tire for almost half the price of Pilot sports. Kumhos and Hankooks are also great for the price.

As you can see I am avoiding the big boys now.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 22:10   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Nikhil- Is the Primacy HP still being imported? Last I checked there was only old stock which seemed to me that they were being phased out. If they have 245/45R17 in the HP those will be my next upgrade once the PP2's on my 5er wear out. I have the HP on our 520 in OE size and they are so much more comfortable than the PP2's with nearly the same grip levels.
I wasn't too impressed with the ER300 that came on my Altis, I switched them for A-drives and am happy with them. IMO, A-drives are the best all rounder at the best price.
Couldnt reply to your post properly earlier!

Primayc HP was being imported last I checked. Let me check again and get back to oyu. And even when they were imported, it was in very limited sizes. Hardly one or two sizes.

And you being unhappy with the ER300s but ok with the A Drives is shocking! the ER300s are waay better tyres than the A drives. In what respect are the A drives better?

Mpower --- Those Dunlops have got RAVE reviews the world over! You are so lucky you get to use them! Would love to try them myself!
Old 11th June 2010, 17:47   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Hey, aren't they available in India?? Atleast in bangalore they are readily available from a Maxxis Distributor.
Maxxis ceased production of this design, after getting sued by Mickeythomson. The Maxxis design was identical to that of an MT tyre.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 14:50   #14
BHPian

Default Re: The tyre you dream of seeing in India at the earliest

Picking up an old quote..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
However, there is no Yoko Advan DB series. I think what he meant was Advan Sport. They are silent and are much much grippier than the S drives.
The Yoko Advan DB series (pattern V551) is now being sold in most other countries, including our friendly neighbours. Here is the APAC Tire catalog with characteristics for each tire. The V551 seems to be the best allrounder tire in Yoko's portfolio, easily better than the C Drive. It also seems to be the spiritual successor to the V550, with a better tire compound.

On a related note, had a quick chat with the Bangalore Yoko office in Banashankari. The person there told me that Yoko is getting ready to launch a "comfort tire" in the Sep-Oct timeframe, but he did not know the pattern number. Now, the V551 does fit into the comfort tire category.

@nikhilb2008: appreciate if you can throw some light on whether we can expect the V551 to be launched, and how they could/would compare with the Michelin PLCs (favorably is my guess) and if these could be cheaper than the PLCs.

My GT3s are nearing end-of-life, but I may be able to hold off for a couple of months if we are getting a great tire...
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 18:53   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The tyre you dream of seeing in India at the earliest

the Advan series will never be a comfort tyre.

When Yoko says Comfort tyre, they probably mean a replacement for the A Drive or C Drive.