Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 9th November 2006, 15:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raajiv
Hey Guys,

Please suggest a good upgrade fro Stock Alto LX tyres.I do not want a bumpy ride.The ride should be smooth and fine.Also,i am planning to change the stock rims to 13" alloys(Aura/Neo) with the new tyres.Please suggest a good combination.
Stick to the stock size tyres...
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 15:19   #32
BHPian

165/60/13 g3' potenzas are what I have for my Alto .. Check my gallery if u wanna see how it will look on your car

The ride is good. But if you have 4 or 5 people in the car, the underbody might take some beating if encountered with speed breakers,

Either you should be really carefull after the upgarde or stick to stock tyres as kpzen said..

Last edited by Knight Rider : 9th November 2006 at 15:20.
Knight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 16:43   #33
BANNED

I have put in 155/70 R13 with HR alloys. The wheel wells had to be very slightly hit with a soft hammer to stop fouling with the tyres. That's all. The ride is very comfortable and the grip is commendable too.

My suggestion is to throw away the stock tyres ASAP b'coz they ain't good for anything. Even the ride can be improved with a cautious upgrade.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 17:59   #34
Team-BHP Support

Mods note: Thread merged.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 03:03   #35
BHPian

I have the 12" with tubeless Kumho tyres. This is really good. A friend of mine had this on this Lancer and this was good till 50K without any problems. The only other that I would recomend is Fedral brand which is very good.
Ironmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 17:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

I am in the process of upgrading my Stock JK (145/80R12) to Michelin XM1 (155/65R13) and 13'' Alloys

My deal which I am getting
1) 5 Plati Alloys (5.5J) = 13500
2) 5 Michelin XM1 = 11500 (2300 / tyre)
------------------------------------------
Total -----------------> 25000
My present Jks----------> 3000 (600 / tyre / ODO-16350)
5 steel wheels ----------> 500 (100 / rim)
Net Payment-----------> 21500 / -

Now I have the following pointers, need your expert help:

1) Is the deal ok in bangalore?
2) My biggest worry, is 5.5J ok for Alto, Any advantage / dis advantage? (The dealer says it is absolutely no issue and people have been putting that in Alto...)
3) If no, then I have to go for Aura which is a bit more expensive as I dont think there are Alloys of 5J and lesser in HR / league / Plati ?

As I always do long highway travel in the car, I am extremely critical on this stuffs...Pls help me...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 17:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
I am in the process of upgrading my Stock JK (145/80R12) to Michelin XM1 (155/65R13) and 13'' Alloys

My deal which I am getting
1) 5 Plati Alloys (5.5J) = 13500
2) 5 Michelin XM1 = 11500 (2300 / tyre)
Total -----------------> 25000
My present Jks----------> 3000 (600 / tyre / ODO-16350)
5 steel wheels ----------> 500 (100 / rim)
Net Payment-----------> 21500 / -

2) My biggest worry, is 5.5J ok for Alto, Any advantage / dis advantage? (The dealer says it is absolutely no issue and people have been putting that in Alto...)
3) If no, then I have to go for Aura which is a bit more expensive as I dont think there are Alloys of 5J and lesser in HR / league / Plati ?

As I always do long highway travel in the car, I am extremely critical on this stuffs...Pls help me...

Abhi
Tyres / Alloys choice is perfect. XM1's are really good. Rs 2300 per tyre is ok price. Speedzak has 5.5J on his alto check his garage. They look ok but at times touch but not sure. speedzak can shed light on this.

BTW why are you going in for 5 alloys ?
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 22:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post

Abhi
Take these save 13.5 K
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rims-free.html

Get Potenza GIII 165/60-13 It will not touch anywhere with those 5J rims so no hammering also required

As u are known to eat n drink indian highways (no offence meant) the GIIIs would always give u the max grip in all situations......165/60-13 might just give u avg ride quality but i'm sure it will make u grin with awwssum handling n braking on your highway trips...
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 22:51   #39
Team-BHP Support

ot you can try this as well to save some dough.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...loys-sale.html
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2007, 19:37   #40
BHPian

Default Alto & Rims - what should I do?

I know that there are a number of threads on this topic, but none of them really comprehensively answer the questions I have.

I am thinking of getting an Alto Lxi, and have the following questions:

I understand from various threads that I need 12" rims. Aura seems to be a well recommended brand, and I don't really care about exclusivity, so it's okay if everyone has their rims. I basically want to avoid the ghastly stock rims that look like they were made by slicing the bottom part of gas cylinders.
  1. Would any dealer give me such rims instead of me taking delivery of the car and then taking it to a tyre shop and having to exchange and not get a great price on almost brand new stock tyres / rims?
  2. Do I need to know anything other than them needing to be 12"? As in is there any other specification I need to have in mind?
  3. The biggest factor for me is fuel economy - would RIMs degrade that? (I would be getting tubeless tyres put so that should help the FE a little bit).
  4. Do dealers offer body-coloured bumpers? If so, how much would it cost? If not, how do people get it done, and how much does it cost?
  5. Is there anything else you would recommend doing to a stock Alto to help the FE or even pickup? (keep in my mind I know very little about cars - so exhaust mods etc are out of the question).

Last edited by aah78 : 5th November 2008 at 00:40. Reason: Thread merged with existing.
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 07:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

1) If u want to change steel rims,u will not get any price other than max 100 rs / rim... whether it is car dealer or tyre dealer

2) IF u are changing to Alloys and tyres both...I suggest u go in for 13"... 155/65/13 is one very good upgrade...also u will have wide range of alloys a 13"....See my report (Bye Bye JKs, Welcome Michelins for more info)

3) At 13" with Alloys there will be no marked difference in FE, may be a 0.5 on the lower side but the handling and high speed grip improves a lot...

4) Body Colour bumpers can be done in dealers site...I think it charged Rs 3500 in Feb, 2006 when I enquired while buying my car.

5) If u have FE in mind, I suggest u keep the tyres/RIM as it is, u can switch to tubeless (Turanza 145/80/12 is good) and 12" alloys but then u cannot upgrade it in a later point....u have to change alloys and tyres both....that is ur choice....In addition also put in a K&N stock filter...thats it... Alto anyway give high FE so no issues....drive normally without pushing hard u will get nice FE...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 01:24   #42
BHPian

1. I know I won't get much, but I assume that if dealers themselves do it, I might get a slgihtly better deal, even if it is Rs. 50.. but more importantly, it would save me a lot of hassle - so do dealers offer rims? Does anyone know of any maruti dealers in Delhi who do?
  2. It seems that unless you really know what you are doing (and I don't), people say 12" is safer... that 13" is a problem with too many people sitting in the car (and I expect up to 5 people sitting sometimes).
  3. That would be great if there is little to no difference in FE!
  4. Rs. 3500 is reasonable (total for both bumpers right?) - do all / most dealers offer this?
Also I would like to add another question: A lot of people say that they don't like black colour on cars because it gets hot under the sun - true or not? (As in does it make a significant enough difference or not?)
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 03:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

1. Yes maruti dealers do have alloys but they will be of AURA

2. Never heard of any problem with 13" on Alto. 4ppl + lugage goes great.

3. Yes all Maruti dealers offer this. You can ask them to pain the bumpers and give you delivery.

Well ya black things do get hotter hehe..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
  1. I know I won't get much, but I assume that if dealers themselves do it, I might get a slgihtly better deal, even if it is Rs. 50.. but more importantly, it would save me a lot of hassle - so do dealers offer rims? Does anyone know of any maruti dealers in Delhi who do?
  2. It seems that unless you really know what you are doing (and I don't), people say 12" is safer... that 13" is a problem with too many people sitting in the car (and I expect up to 5 people sitting sometimes).
  3. That would be great if there is little to no difference in FE!
  4. Rs. 3500 is reasonable (total for both bumpers right?) - do all / most dealers offer this?
Also I would like to add another question: A lot of people say that they don't like black colour on cars because it gets hot under the sun - true or not? (As in does it make a significant enough difference or not?)
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 10:10   #44
BHPian

you can go for Aura alloys aftermarket as well but going for the bumper paint deal is good and you should go for that.

Last edited by rishibravo : 5th June 2007 at 10:14.
rishibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 10:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

1.When i was taking delivery of my alto few years back i to asked the same question and the answer i got was yes and they showed me 2 alloys and they didn't look good and they were charging to much
2.I am using 185/r13 60 in my alto for about 4 years now and still don't have a problem but when i put more than 4 people the trye scrap the wheel well because of the wide tyres
3. i get 15+ with the wide tyres and on HW i get around 20 but 155 would be a good upgrade and would hurt the KM/L factor much
4.Yes the dealer does give the option of body colour bumper but will cost you a bomb get it done from a good paint shop will cost you no more than rs.2500
5.i would suggest k&n filter to improve the fe but wouldn't help much
manikjeet is offline   Reply With Quote