Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 11th July 2008, 16:20   #106
BHPian

do i need to get 13" alloys??

cant i get 13" steel rims instead of the STOCK 12" steel rims that i currently have?

i will then be putting Michelin XM1 155/65/R13 on them. (tubeless) - i hope they dont scrape or anything??

also, will it hit the power a lot since its just 800cc??

OKAY , I AM NOW JUST MORE CONFUSED THAN EVER!! ALL I NEED ARE TYRES THAT MAINTAIN A GREAT ROAD GRIP & ARE RESISTANT TO PUNCTURES!!

ANY SUGGESTIONS PLS??!!!

BUXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 18:36   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
i looked thro your thread & really wouldnt mind getting the 13" !!

1)i hope they dont scrape when u do a sharp turn or while on potholes/speedbreakers??
No worry!! I do very sharp turns and hit speeds like 140kmph and often use in highways. You can find a few travelogues of mine in the appropriate section as well.

Quote:
2)& did u hav to modify your bumper/wheel arch?
Nothing.

Quote:
I was planning to get new rims in any case; so might as well get one suited for the 13" tyres. 3)any suggstns for the rims??
If you investing on 13inch tubeless than I would suggest you to go for Alloys.

Quote:
4)& lastly, are the tubeless more prone to punctures? and can these punctures be fixed by any roadside mechanic?? i have no idea abt tubeless!!
It is the other way round. tubeless less prone to punctures. You will not require a roadside mechanic to fix punctures for tubeless

Quote:
Wat wud b my choices for a 5) wide, 13" tubeless tyre?

Thx guys!! This is urgent! i need to get the tyres on Sat !
Get Michelin XM1+ 155/65R13 !! it is the best at that profiles.

Other options are 165/60R13 - Potenza GIII is a hit in this profile.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 19:46   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
do i need to get 13" alloys??
If you have the money go get it. Improves the aesthetics and the handling part.

Quote:
cant i get 13" steel rims instead of the STOCK 12" steel rims that i currently have?
I had earlier posted a query regarding the Alto running on the steel rims from the Baleno (13 inchers).IMO both are 100 PCD(correct me if I am wrong guys) . Why don't you take the plunge and check it out yourself. You have nothing to loose other than a few hundred bucks on the steel rims.

Quote:
i will then be putting Michelin XM1 155/65/R13 on them. (tubeless) - i hope they dont scrape or anything??
Dont be so paranoid, take it easy and swap them over. You will appreciate tbhp 1st and then your choice of alloys and tyres.

Quote:
also, will it hit the power a lot since its just 800cc??
If you feel that there is power loss, get an aftermarket air-filter and a FFE.

Quote:
OKAY , I AM NOW JUST MORE CONFUSED THAN EVER!!
Search around on the forum in the Collection of Best threads. There is an excellent thread with a statutory warning on seeking advise from TBHP .

Quote:
ALL I NEED ARE TYRES THAT MAINTAIN A GREAT ROAD GRIP & ARE RESISTANT TO PUNCTURES!!
Akroy and VJ_MAVRICK pointed you to check their threads , so why don't you take some time off and read thru their experiences.

My experience with my older Alto LXI , was running tubeless with alloys and not a single puncture in 26k kms. Excellent handling and I used to love driving my Alto around. Wish I had retained it and not sold it.
Here you go, an old picture.

Name:  91161.jpg
Views: 9361
Size:  63.3 KB

All the very best .
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 20:30   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

The older Zens came with 13 inch wheels & I am not sure but the Wagon R still comes with 13 inch wheels So you can contact any alloy wheels dealer he might have some in spare from the cars who changed to alloys.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 09:40   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
The older Zens came with 13 inch wheels & I am not sure but the Wagon R still comes with 13 inch wheels So you can contact any alloy wheels dealer he might have some in spare from the cars who changed to alloys.
Not a good idea to swap over unless the PCD matches. So beware !!
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 11:04   #111
BHPian

Just an update from my side: Got Michwelin XM1+ Tubeless 145 80 R12 for 1790 each! seems gr8! Road grip & braking has improved tremendously!

just one more query: if a tubeless tyre gets punctured; can it be repaired by any roadside mechanic?? Thanks guys for all your help on this!!
BUXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 12:51   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
just one more query: if a tubeless tyre gets punctured; can it be repaired by any roadside mechanic?? Thanks guys for all your help on this!!
No you cannot do it unless he is equipped with TL kit. nevertheless TL doesnt create much problems as far as punctures are concerned.

FYI, if you see any nails/sharp object embedded in your tyre when you are in transit, pls dont try to remove it, keep it as it is and then drive to a TL repair guy to do the repair. If you try to remove it then you will loose all your air instantaneously and you will be stranded on highway. Otherwise air is lost in a very slow pace and you can easily drive to the next town.

I know a few guys who did 1500km with nail on tyre before repairing it.

Good buy !! congrats

Abhi
Old 17th July 2008, 13:08   #113
BHPian

Whatever you do, Do not buy potenza's, I dont know about others,But I have never had a puncture for a year with my Stock tyres, I switched to potza's, In a year I have had more than 9 punctures, Again the road to my house is not all that great..

I had to change one tyre becuase it developed some sort of a bubble and the delaer told me that it cannot be fixed, it would have to be replaced, So I spent another 3k on one tre and recently other two tyres have the same problem,

It was not there when I bought it. The dealer said he cannot do anything and I dont have the time and most importantly 'patience' to run around for this.

One more thing I noticed is that the tyre noice is too much compared to the stock ones. So after considering all the above mentioned factors, I am changing all 4 tyres, And defenitely not tubeless

The points that I have discussed are not based on assumptions, I have them on my car. Hope this helps you.

Last edited by Knight Rider : 17th July 2008 at 13:09.
Knight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 21:34   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
Whatever you do, Do not buy potenza's, I dont know about others,But I have never had a puncture for a year with my Stock tyres, I switched to potza's, In a year I have had more than 9 punctures, Again the road to my house is not all that great..

I had to change one tyre becuase it developed some sort of a bubble and the delaer told me that it cannot be fixed, it would have to be replaced, So I spent another 3k on one tre and recently other two tyres have the same problem,

It was not there when I bought it. The dealer said he cannot do anything and I dont have the time and most importantly 'patience' to run around for this.

One more thing I noticed is that the tyre noice is too much compared to the stock ones. So after considering all the above mentioned factors, I am changing all 4 tyres, And defenitely not tubeless

The points that I have discussed are not based on assumptions, I have them on my car. Hope this helps you.
I think Potenza's are a good set of tyres, its strange and a pity that you had problems with that. Maybe you had purchased a bad lot. So getting back again to basics (With Tubes).Well! can understand the frustration with 9 punctures in a year and thats too much to handle. Drive safe brother and may you have good luck with the new lot.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 14:29   #115
BHPian

Default Alto tyre upgrade

Hi Guys,

I have an alto in which 2 tyres went bust due to something on the road, and had to be replaced at only 27k kms :-(.

At that time I went for second hand tires and now after 2 years I am ready to get fresh ones to replace those two. After reading a few posts around I feel Mechalin tubeless 155 are best choice.

My queries are:

1) Is it okay to replace only 2 rear ones with tubeless, or we need to go for all 4 together. One of the rear is useless, the other I am planning to use as spare.
2) I am planning to keep this car for another year, as its already down 4 years, so will it make sense to use tubeless right now ?

thanks.
jits_1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 15:45   #116
Senior - BHPian

replacing tyres at only 27k! Ouch!

But, in the first instance, why did you go for second hand? Anyway, get the new ones tubeless, if possible, for all the wheels.

I do not think that running a mix of tubed and tubeless has any issue, with regard to the tube being absent / present. But the difference in the thread and make between the tubed and tubeless will be something that I will be concerned about.

And you plan for one more year, but for how many more KM's do you think you will drive? That is more important.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 15:55   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

And you plan for one more year, but for how many more KM's do you think you will drive? That is more important.
Currently its done around 35k kms, hoping to drive another 5k-7k max in next 1 year.

I am hoping that the other two would last for the time I will be selling it out, so am reluctant to change it.

I went for second hand coz I had just spent a fortune on the car buying it all cash, so was totally out
jits_1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 17:05   #118
Senior - BHPian

My stock JK tyres lasted till 40k and they were still good for another ~5k when I changed them.

Do check the thread of your tyre and decide if they will last with special care on the grip available. As said earlier, getting just 2 tubeless will not be an issue, but with your plans for selling, why don't you just get two tubes one and get along. Will certainly cost you less.

And with just two tubeless, you do not get all the benefits of running full-tubeless. So that is not a concern here.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 21:34   #119
Senior - BHPian

I own Alto LXI and stock tyres Appollo AMazer XL 145/80 R12 radial tyres are just fine, but I might buy 12inch alloys and Tubeless tyres probabaly Michellin XM1 or Bridgestone Er60 and my plan is stick to stock size because this is my City car so handling/road grip is not important (top speed might be 80kmph when its driven in highway very rarely) and its known that once alloys/tubeless any car will improve with respect to road grip, comfort, slightly better FE.

In 1 week time I am doing this.

SIZE: 145/80 R12 Michellin XM1 or Bridestone ER60
Alloys: Mostly Aura (12500/- set of 5) or Neo or any other imported ones.

Please pour and give me suggestions in 12 inch. I am not interested in 13 inch.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 2nd November 2008 at 21:36.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 10:59   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
SIZE: 145/80 R12 Michellin XM1 or Bridestone ER60
Alloys: Mostly Aura (12500/- set of 5) or Neo or any other imported ones.
Ravi, Since you are already investing on alloys, I suggest you to go for 13inchers. It will see marked difference with not much price difference.

Even still if you stick to 12 inchers, there is no choice but Aura Alloys and the tyres you mentioned. I would suggest you to go for Michelin XM1+ tyres. Go to Super Tyre Tec, you will get a good deal on both.

Abhi