Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 14th November 2010, 19:41   #16
SAS
BHPian

Default Got my alloys changed

I went as planned and got the alloys changed. The dealer made me wait for an hour, but it was ok, since I got the job done. I replaced the Neo Rally with Neo Velocity. They fit perfectly just as the OEM rims without fouling with the car body. IMHO, these don't look as good as the rally ones, but they fit perfectly, hence I had to bite the bullet.

The car runs really well with the XM1+ and the alloys. I was finally able to take it up to good speeds today once the new alloys were fitted. Boy am I still impressed. The XM1's are ridiculously silent, even on concrete roads as well as the concrete tiled roads. I don't also hear any substantial noise when they run over the expansion joints of the flyovers. The tires have good grip when I brake. Also good grip on corners. It's a very smooth ride and I too had to reduce the volume of the stereo (now how I wish the Alto had lower NVH levels ). I had to brake moderately hard on 1 occasion and the tires are good here.

I'm now a complete believer in the XM1+'s potential. Michelin shall take some time to build it's brand in India since they're not so widely spread as of now.

Just as a FYI, I purchased the 145/80 R12 at Rs. 8,400 for a pair of four and paid Rs. 11,600 for the alloys. Overall I paid Rs. 20k for it. The earlier tires were pretty worn out (the ZVTS ran for 59,800kms) and I got Rs. 250 for 3 of them and the 4th one was treated as damaged since it had uneven wear. I am completely satisfied with the purchase since I shall be keeping my Alto for some time, mostly at least another 75k kms and another 5 years. The existing rims I have stored them on the loft as spares.
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin XM1+ 145/80 R12 - Initial Ownership Review (500 kms)-14112010147.jpg  

SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 20:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Rajesh & SAS on the Michelins, Enjoy the comfy ride of XM1+!

I have completed 20K on my XM1+, love the comfy ride!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 21:31   #18
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rajesh. Good write-up. I also live in Velachery, guess there are lot of TBhpians in Velachery.

The Alloys sported by SAS's Alto looks good. I liked the ones sported earlier on SAS's car. Suggest you go in for the alloys as they would accentuate the looks of your drive and also do justice to the new shoes. You could look at a good set of 5 at XL Tyre World in Madipakkam.

A piece of advice... whenever you change your rubber, you should get a set of 5 instead of 4.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 22:03   #19
SAS
BHPian

I too loved the original alloys (Neo Rally, they're an excellent 5 spoke design), however they were fouling with the tires. And not only the rear but the front ones too. At the end of the day, it was a call either to keep the alloys for the looks and lose practicality or have practicality and use more conventional pattern alloys. Since i'm keeping my car for long time and hate to hear it scrape the rims, I decided to change.

Also I agree with the 5-tyre changing philosophy. Unfortunately one of my earlier MRF SVTS's tore apart when I hit a stone on the highway, hence had changed it to a GPS2 barely 6 months back, hence only went with a set of 4 tyres. I'll probably change the 5th one too sometime later and sell of the GPS2. This week was too hectic: initially I had to run around to get the camber and caster alignment sorted out, then the tyres and alloys.
Old 15th November 2010, 09:12   #20
BHPian

SAS, what I don't understand is that you did not change your tire size, the tire size is the same as stock. Then how did it foul with the wheel arches? Did you check your suspension?

Thanks,
Jose.
josejoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 15:38   #21
SAS
BHPian

The reason it's fouling was because the design pushed the tires out. These caused the tires to hit the wheel arches instead of going under them. The new design takes them back inside and they are now aligned properly..

Out of curiosity, i'd like to know how do u like the new design as compared to the old ones
Old 17th November 2010, 06:29   #22
BHPian

SAS,

Now I got the point why the tires scrape. If you are asking my liking on the wheel design, I liked the first one. It looked more thicker.

Regards,
Jose.
josejoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 22:30   #23
SAS
BHPian

Jose, thanks. I too felt the first design looked better. The current ones look thin. The only advantage looks-wise is they look better when the car is moving. My wifey somehow likes the newer design better. She says this looks more flush and neat

Personally, I'm happy with the current alloys. I can digest the looks, but I couldn't digest it when the original alloys caused the tires to foul with the body.

I did Mumbai-Pune expressway this Monday and the tires are awesome. Extremely low noise at speed on concrete roads. Decent cornering abilities, excellent comfort and good breaking too. I also feel that these tires are offering a significant better mileage than my ZVTS set. Overall I'm happy with XM1+.