Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 1st May 2012, 07:35   #46

Default re: Chevy Cruze : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

They costed me 10k each. Reg brand new vectras u can expect around 5 to 5.5k.
vikram_rp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 20:33   #47
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_rp View Post
Well the upsize will not effect the ride height much the diff being just 2mm overall.
The difference is 1.5mm , 2*(225*55-205*60)=1.5mm. Change in tyre size will certainly void suspension warranty.
anb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 13:16   #48
BHPian

Finally picked up 4 Michelin PLC from Sai Iyengar. Got a good deal thanks to Ashwin and got to know Nikhil in the process, who is a fantastic guy.

The difference with regards to tyre noise is very evident. But for the handling, my heart feels that I have done a great job, head is more so-so. But I guess the car feels a lot more agile, to be honest. Money well spent!

BH.
BurningHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 01:15   #49
BHPian

I have been running on Yokohama dB Decibel ES501 in the stock size 205/60 R16 on my Cruze. I changed from the stock JK Vectra's to them within 2 days of delivery. Got a buyback of around 4k per tyre for the Vectra's and the ES501 at 8k per tyre from Pal Tyres, Mumbai. So far, the car has done 3k kms and these tyres are just fantastic, they are supremely soft and comfortable, the low-speed bone jarring has reduced to a great extent (from the 1st two days of driving on stock), its made a huge difference to the ride quality as experienced by passengers as well, tyre noise is negligible too, they are super silent.

Grip levels are more than adequate for my driving style. I don't usually push my car to the limit on the twisties. However I did have a go once at the lonavala ghat section and the tyres were never a let down. I remember the stock tyres wheel spinning everytime I put my foot down and helplessly squeeling, trying to contain the power of this thing.

The only fly in the ointment could be its grip on wet surfaces as mentioned in a bunch of reviews, I hope its not too bad. With the monsoon's soon approaching, I am hoping to give this a fair test, will report back on that one in this thread.

For now, with the dry conditions, I highly reccomend the ES501's.

Regards,
n:CorE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 21:04   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
The only fly in the ointment could be its grip on wet surfaces as mentioned in a bunch of reviews, I hope its not too bad. With the monsoon's soon approaching, I am hoping to give this a fair test, will report back on that one in this thread.

For now, with the dry conditions, I highly reccomend the ES501's.

Regards,
I did 2000 km drive BLR - Kollam and back with the Michelin PLCs. Tyre quality is so superior that my wife noticed the lack of noise (and she is absolutely not into cars!). The only reason why I chose Michelin over Yokos was because Yokos are H rated and not V rated. But both of them can be driven up to 200+ kmph. Not that I am going to drive at that speeds, but I thought why dont i pick up a better speed rating?
BurningHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 11:44   #51
BHPian

Is there a tyre availability crisis going on in our country? Trying to source Michelin or contis for cruze in stock size is turning into a nightmare.
drchernish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 13:45   #52
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
Is there a tyre availability crisis going on in our country? Trying to source Michelin or contis for cruze in stock size is turning into a nightmare.
If the stock size Michelin is not available, why don't you upsize to 215/60 R16 Michelin. There isn't much price difference. This tyre size will give you better ride and Ground clearance.
Old 28th August 2012, 19:06   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
If the stock size Michelin is not available, why don't you upsize to 215/60 R16 Michelin. There isn't much price difference. This tyre size will give you better ride and Ground clearance.
Actually I would love to go up-size but i fear the dreaded roads we have and by reducing the already soft plc side walls from 60(205/60 R16) aspect to 55 (215/55 R16) ,i think will be pushing my luck too far.
Old 28th August 2012, 19:09   #54
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Actually I would love to go up-size but i fear the dreaded roads we have and by reducing the already soft plc side walls from 60(205/60 R16) aspect to 55 (215/55 R16) ,i think will be pushing my luck too far.
I meant the 215/60 R 16 size. 55 profile tyres are far more costlier than 60 ones.
Old 28th August 2012, 19:25   #55
BHPian

But the correct upgrade is 215/55 R16 according to michelin site
Old 28th August 2012, 19:48   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Perfect upgrade would be 225/55R16. It will provide the exact same sidewall height as your stock tire. I would recommend you to go for this IFF you love driving a bit hard and love steering feel.
rangakishen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 19:54   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
Perfect upgrade would be 225/55R16. It will provide the exact same sidewall height as your stock tire. I would recommend you to go for this IFF you love driving a bit hard and love steering feel.
Thanks for the advice but having a daughter 6 months old onboard offcourse in her car seat does not allow me to drive hard-I am more into comfort drive.
Old 28th August 2012, 20:04   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the advice but having a daughter 6 months old onboard offcourse in her car seat does not allow me to drive hard-I am more into comfort drive.
Comfort is not hampered in anyway, since the sidewall height is unaltered. But steering does get a bit heavier.
rangakishen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 11:53   #59
anb
BHPian

Quote:
it's not like that. Tyre size is fine as long as it's within 3% of original size. 215/55 R16, 215/60 R16 and 225/55R16 are perfectly fine on stock rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
My car is also running on 225s. It does give good ride. However ride on 215/60 is better thanks to more sidewall height.

These are the sizes. The 55 profile tyre are far more costly.215/55 decreases the ground clearance. 215/60 increases the GC, gives more comfort. 225/55 have almost the same overall diameter as that of the stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevy Cruze : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tyre.jpg  

Last edited by anb : 29th August 2012 at 11:59.
anb is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 15:26   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
My friend's Cruze is due for a tyre replacement. His requirements are
1) Stock size and V rating
2) Durability and less prone to puncture/damage - sort of robust tyres suited to our roads as he drives on bad roads
3) Road grip
4) Comfort is not a priority
These are my requirements too.Any suggestions??The handling must improve over stock JK's
KINI is offline   Reply With Quote