Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 10th November 2005, 12:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

And if your Palio happens to have R14 rims and if you have anyone travelling to Pune, I have couple of spare steel rims. I replaced my car's stock rims with alloys. I can give one to you.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 16:04   #17

Both my front Zen rims were quite outta shape for quite some time. I didn't do anything with those because I wanted alloys. But I figured I couldn't spend 10-12k on alloys (and then some more on new tyres), so I just went to my local mech who told me the rims could be straightened (they call it "rim through-ing" or something) for around 400-500 bucks for all the rims (including the spare). I got it done, and it did feel like the handling had improved, but I ran into a pothole on the way back from Borivali and my front right rim has another visible dent in it. The other rims are okay.

The point is, I don't know how long these straightened rims last. I guess you should do it once, but if the problem comes up again, just get new rims.

- Aalaap
aalaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 17:36   #18

Just get new rims dude, and one question though...where do you cause so much damage to your car man ? you should try and be a little more careful two demons at one time ! thats a lot to handle!
nitroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 20:25   #19

I think in general, all "Maruti" rims are delicate... I've bent sets of rims (front & rear on the same side) on the 800 and 1000 a couple of times by just driving through potholes at 70 Kmph.
Had to stop by the road side tyre repair shop to get them temporarily straightened so that I could finish the journey... as the wobble feedback to the steering was just too much to handle.

But I've Never had this problem with the Contessa till date!
Don't know how the Fiat build quality is...

I too suggest you get new rims.... but you could also check the scrap yards and second hand dealers in Goa... they are sure to have rims in good condition that you could get for a decent price...
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 19:32   #20

sorry for the late reply guys.. has exams and stuff.. just got free.

my rims are 13 inchers.. steel.. the company ones..

i visited some of the tyre shops here as per your advice. actually the best ones in this small town.

the guys checked the rims and stuff.. they said that it is a bend on the central portion of the rim and not on the periphery.. the machine that most of the shops had could only take care of paripheral bends.

these things happen on my usual roads very often as they are very very bad..

will try some more big tyre shops in Goa.. and keep you in touch.

passionpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 20:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

One advice for all old zen users.... if you got to buy 13" rims... get the wagonR rims.
I have heard people complaining abt wagonR rims.. but when compared to zen.. its MUCH MUCH tougher.

I haven't had a single visible bent rim in my 5+ years 60+K kms of WagonR driving. It still goes on to hit 140km/h without much wobble.

Of course it depends where you drive.... I am in Delhi.... not many pot-holes here.

Last edited by SLK : 24th November 2005 at 20:14.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 21:31   #22
Team-BHP Support

Nothing can be done here, get a new rim. I had to replace my centrally bent rim too
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote