Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 19th July 2010, 17:14   #1
BHPian

Default Being taken for a Tyre Ride

I recently was scouting around tyre stores in Pune as it is time to go get a new set of 165/80 R14 tyres for my Swift VDI.
I got a good feel at Lokmanya & I got a quote from Darshan.
Incidently, there was another gentlemen en-quiring about tyres for his scooty.
The D.Tyres guy put in a quote & this gentlemen squarely questioned on why his quote was more then what the TVS Show room was offering.
I was really surprised to hear from the showroom salesman that there is a difference in quality. I can understand that there could be a difference in Brand, Make, Pattern & hence the difference in cost. But this salesman was pretty confident in selling his point that - Sir it will all be same but I know that showroom quality & my quality is different. Mine is better than what you saw at the show room.
Not that am a expert at products being manufactured & supplied to distributors & re-sellers. But I'm pretty confident that no "Category A" Indian Tyre Manufacturer (Bridgestone, MRF, CEAT, JK, Goodyear & any other) will be able to supply a tyre of the same Brand, Pattern,Size etc in two different qualities {As in quality of Rubber & all the other ingredients that go in} to two set of sellers in the same town. The most I can understand is a bit of Variance in the Product supplied over two different batches.
I feel sorry for that gentlemen & I don't think I'll buy from D.Tyres

I would like to hear from you bhp'ians to try to understand if this is at all possible.
I would also like to hear about any other incidents- selling gimmicks for the knowledge of the others on this forum.

Regards
Kartik
kartikoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 18:00   #2

Hi kartik,

i'm definately not a tyre expert either when it comes to quality! but surely second your decision of not buying from Darshan as i've had similar experience from them while sourcing tyres earlier. In terms of pricing they are higher than a lot of other dealers here in pune!

cheers
viper911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 18:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

If the make & model of the tyre is the same, the quality should also be the same - assuming both are from the same source.

This shop seems to be talking without much of a foundation for his reasoning. Go out to other shops too.

Btw, since you are buying new tyres, PLEASE upgrade from 165/80/R14 to atleast 185, or 195's. Check which ones are availabe :

185/75 R14 or
195/70 R14. or any other size. Check other Swift tyre updgrade posts for more details
(pls confirm what sizes are available)
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 19:37   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I dont buy the salesman's argument. It isnt possible to say for sure that the tyre dealer's tyres are of better quality! It sounds ridiculous!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 19:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Darshan tyres charges marginally more than others do given their spread and visibility in Pune.

I got my Michelins from Lokmanya and that is the shop I would recommend for price and customer service.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 20:40   #6
mgh
BHPian

As far as I know, the tyre companies are extremely careful about their tyre quality. They even do destructive testing of sample tyres to ensure that they do withstand the load, rpm and presssure as per its rating. It is possible that they downgrade batches of tyres and sell them at a lower price. They would change the codes on the tyres to reflect lower grade
how to read the codes on tyres
for example if say a company is making a batch of tyres
175/65 R 14 82T
to degrade it the marking will change the 82 to a lower number and the T to a lower alphabet such as R or S
Which means that while comparing prices, you need to see the tyre code as well!
mgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 11:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If the make & model of the tyre is the same, the quality should also be the same - assuming both are from the same source.

This shop seems to be talking without much of a foundation for his reasoning. Go out to other shops too.

Btw, since you are buying new tyres, PLEASE upgrade from 165/80/R14 to atleast 185, or 195's. Check which ones are availabe :

185/75 R14 or
195/70 R14. or any other size. Check other Swift tyre updgrade posts for more details
(pls confirm what sizes are available)

185/70 R14 & 195/65 R14 are correct up-sizes on 14 inch rims
viper911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 11:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Darshan tyres charges marginally more than others do given their spread and visibility in Pune.

I got my Michelins from Lokmanya and that is the shop I would recommend for price and customer service.

Cheers!
I agree, I checked out the tyre upgrade possibility from both darshan(Nagar Road) and lokmanya tyres for my spark , darshan was marginally higher . As far as the attitude is concerned I found both equally good.
kenpachigamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 12:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpachigamer View Post
I agree, I checked out the tyre upgrade possibility from both darshan(Nagar Road) and lokmanya tyres for my spark , darshan was marginally higher . As far as the attitude is concerned I found both equally good.
There is no difference in the tires supplied to Car manufacturers and the after market shops by the tire companies.

However they are certain models like the MRF ZIGMACC radial that is supplied as OE in the TATA Ace that you cannot get in the same pattern in the replacement market.
wbd8779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 15:51   #10
BHPian

Guys, thanks for the exchange of information.
Did go for Yoko A Drive. Got 185/70 R14. I got free Nitrogen too.
But, I have a new problem- it's a Swift VDI. Earlier with 165- I had 36psi in the Front & 33psi in the back.
What should it be with 185? Would there be a diff in pressure depending on Nitro or normal Air?
kartikoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 22:16   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

My suggestion is to try out diff pressures. Ride will depend on the pressure (more pr, harder ride & vice-versa). You should be able to find a level where the ride feels just firm enough.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote