Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 3rd May 2011, 11:16   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Needed: Tyres to improve ride quality of Wagon-R

Though it is a old thread, hope my experience will add some help.

Bought Wagon-R Vxi in 2007 and it comes with JK tire. Haven't changed the tire but went for alloy when i bought. Vibration started at around 20K KMs and the tire shop person told it is due to tire not any alignment etc. But drove another 7K KMs with that and there were frequent punctures too.

Then before my long trip from Chennai to Hyderabad wanted to change the tire. I don't have much knowledge about tires and also haven't done any research. Went to Bridgetone and selected TURANZA (155/65 R13) Tubless tires. Filled nitrogen.

Then the magic started, felt a huge improvement in ride quality, especially with 30 PSI pressure. It is almost another 20K KM after the tire change and there is no puncture after that and also comfort level is good.

The nitrogen helps in reduced number of pressure check. On an average after 4 months / 5K KMs it goes down by one PSI.
r_devakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 20:14   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Though it is a old thread, hope my experience will add some help.

Then before my long trip from Chennai to Hyderabad wanted to change the tire. I don't have much knowledge about tires and also haven't done any research. Went to Bridgetone and selected TURANZA (155/65 R13) Tubless tires. Filled nitrogen.

Then the magic started, felt a huge improvement in ride quality, especially with 30 PSI pressure. It is almost another 20K KM after the tire change and there is no puncture after that and also comfort level is good.

The nitrogen helps in reduced number of pressure check. On an average after 4 months / 5K KMs it goes down by one PSI.
Deva, I am planning to change my WagonR tires. Have done ~43K kms on the originals. Can you tell me the price you have paid for Bridgestone?
sanjayk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 23:00   #33
BHPian

Hi Sanjay,

I forgot the price and also couldn't able to trace the bills. Anyhow, it was more than a year back, price could have changed significantly by now.

Regards
Deva
r_devakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 12:52   #34
BHPian

I have got a new set of wheels for my 2006 Wagon R. The original ones did 43,000 KMS, and time for a change.

I have bought standard R13 tubeless wheels of Michelin XM1+. I was told by the dealer that Energy series of Michelin comes from R14 onwards.

As suggested in this forum i had got the wheels changed at Ashoka Wheels Hyderabad. I got them for Rs 3,100 a piece. Rs 400 extra for wheel balancing and Alignment. Mr Ritesh did not offer much, the other dealers were quoting Rs 3,175 without nitrogen filling.

I can notice a sea change in riding comfort with the Michelin tyres. Boy, never felt the roads to be so smooth.
sanjayk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 15:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayk View Post
I have got a new set of wheels for my 2006 Wagon R. The original ones did 43,000 KMS, and time for a change.

I have bought standard R13 tubeless wheels of Michelin XM1+. I was told by the dealer that Energy series of Michelin comes from R14 onwards.

As suggested in this forum i had got the wheels changed at Ashoka Wheels Hyderabad. I got them for Rs 3,100 a piece. Rs 400 extra for wheel balancing and Alignment. Mr Ritesh did not offer much, the other dealers were quoting Rs 3,175 without nitrogen filling.

I can notice a sea change in riding comfort with the Michelin tyres. Boy, never felt the roads to be so smooth.
Hi Sanjay,
I too am in exactly the same situation as you were.
2006 Wagon-R, done 43,000 km on stock JK's and now looking to change.
Have shortlisted Michelin XM1+ 155/65 R13 and got quotes ranging from Rs3200-3000/-
But one dealer yesterday suggested to consider Yokohama also since it is not directional and can be cross-rotated. Unlike Michelins which can only be interchanged between front and rear. He said due to this, wheels with Michelins require to be aligned every 3-4K kms to prevent uneven wear. Any expert views?
anuragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 14:46   #36
BHPian

Finally replaced all four tires with Yokohama A drives 155/65 R13.
The ride is now much smoother...as if gliding on a smooth surface.
And road noise is reduced by a great extent. Am very much satisfied.
Old 14th August 2011, 14:05   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
But one dealer yesterday suggested to consider Yokohama also since it is not directional and can be cross-rotated. Unlike Michelins which can only be interchanged between front and rear. He said due to this, wheels with Michelins require to be aligned every 3-4K kms to prevent uneven wear. Any expert views?
Michelin XM1/XM1+ series is NOT uni-directional. I've been cross-rotating them (scissor pattern) (all 4 tires) since long.
gsbhatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 23:13   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbhatia View Post
Michelin XM1/XM1+ series is NOT uni-directional. I've been cross-rotating them (scissor pattern) (all 4 tires) since long.
But the tread design is asymmetric.
I am not an expert to determine whether it would be OK to cross-rotate such tires, hence did not take chances.
Even otherwise, it was a very tough choice between Michellin and Yoko.

Last edited by anuragn : 14th August 2011 at 23:14.
Old 15th August 2011, 13:57   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Are A-drives available in 165/60 R13? Also do they cost near about the same as XM1+?
gsbhatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 14:28   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbhatia View Post
Are A-drives available in 165/60 R13? Also do they cost near about the same as XM1+?
No idea about 165/60 R13.

I upgraded to 155/65,R13 from 145/70, R13.
Yes, both do cost same, give or take 50-100 rupees.
Old 25th August 2011, 23:50   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the tread design is asymmetric.
I am not an expert to determine whether it would be OK to cross-rotate such tires, hence did not take chances.
Unidiectional tires have to be kept on the same side of the car and come with a "Rotation Indicator" on the tire sidewall - examples are Birdgestone Potenza GIII or yokohama S.Drive . Tires like Michelin Xm1 and other "Asymmetric" pattern tires come with an "Inside" and "Outside" mark on the tire and while the tires can be used anywhere in the car, it cannot be flipped on the rim, something that no one does anyways.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 13:46   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan

Unidiectional tires have to be kept on the same side of the car and come with a "Rotation Indicator" on the tire sidewall - examples are Birdgestone Potenza GIII or yokohama S.Drive . Tires like Michelin Xm1 and other "Asymmetric" pattern tires come with an "Inside" and "Outside" mark on the tire and while the tires can be used anywhere in the car, it cannot be flipped on the rim, something that no one does anyways.
Thanks for clearing my doubts.