Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 17th November 2005, 15:22   #1
sAP
BHPian

Default 15" alloy wheels on Corsa

I want to switch to a 15" set of alloys for my Corsa SAIL 1.4.

Was warned by a local wheel-dealer... that a customer switched back to 13" stock after trying out a 15 incher. I am not too sure if that was a Corsa customer though.

What I am looking for -- ideally -- is some kind of "direct" feedback from a Corsa user. However, being the community that thrives on the experience of its members, I can certainly appreciate help from non-corsa owners as well.

But talk back to me on whats been YOUR "direct" experience installing 15-inchers on YOUR car. Not what you "think", and certainly not what another car-owner thought after he installed it. Others please excuse this post.

sAP
sAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 16:00   #2
sAP
BHPian

Default Calling off this thread

I am calling off this thread. I have now installed 13" alloys and no longer require this info. Specs:

Alloy wheel: K.Speed KS315 5.5"x13" 5-spoke
Existing stock tires: 175/70R13 Bridgestone S322
PCD: 100, 4 holes
Hub centric rings: 56.5mm internal dia and 73.1mm external dia
Conical lug-nuts

The corsa feels sure-footed when you drive one. It also feels heavy in it underpinnings. After switching to alloys on the same tires, the heaviness has vanished. It feels more sure-footed than before. But now, it is also nimble and agile. Brilliant!

However, hub-rings must be used for centering the wheel, unless you are installing an aura wheel with a center-bore of 56.5mm. See thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/151614-post1.html for more information.

sAP
Old 3rd May 2006, 20:37   #3
sAP
BHPian

I know I called off this thread, but just in case someone lands in here and reads through the material, there is something that they should know in addition to what is given here.

Last week I did a trip that covered 700kms in a single day. I realized I did not enjoy high speed driving as much as I did when I had my stock steel rims installed. The tires were the same though.

More information is available on this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/221049-post3.html

sAP
Old 4th May 2006, 11:56   #4
BHPian

hi sAP i am stevie, a new corsa sail 1.4owner here at team-bhp.i have not done much to my car except for a change of filter....i have put in a new K&N stock fitment filter.the car sounds nicer and sure has some increase in power.its quite sluggish at times....not sure why.i have seens ure blog and read some of ure articles.........hope you can give me some advice on maintaining a corsa sail
best regards
stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 12:05   #5
Team-BHP Support

My wife drives a Sail 1.6 and she has 14" allloys that came with the car. It would be nice to improve the car's acceleration though. it is a bit sluggish and the power cruve is very small.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 16:21   #6
sAP
BHPian

Well, this is off topic, but since 2 of you have asked the same question, I think the sluggishness at low RPM on the Corsa is due to a highly effective knock sensor. I have never heard a Corsa knock, even at speeds as low as 10km/hr on 3rd gear.

With the AC on, the ECU is even more conservative. I have noticed that the Corsa's real power range starts from 3500 RPM upwards till about 6600 RPM. Please see my review on mouthshut for a better descriptive: http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Opel...4-69695-1.html

sAP
Old 5th May 2006, 12:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAP
Well, this is off topic, but since 2 of you have asked the same question, I think the sluggishness at low RPM on the Corsa is due to a highly effective knock sensor. I have never heard a Corsa knock, even at speeds as low as 10km/hr on 3rd gear.
sAP
Though off topic, I would like to add my comments here. I drive a Corsa Swing 1.6. After the first year, I do get knocking on first gear when the vehicle starts from stand still (for last 2 years). I have been to the service centre many times. They are not able to find the root cause. They suggested it might go away with a clutch plate replacement. But to open it they would charge 8000 Rs. However as per thir suggestion I changed clutch cable. I also switched to a stock K&N air filter and Shell Super petrol. All these together reduced the knocking considerably. But still once in a while it knocks badly when I start from stand still. But once I change to secind gear onwards no problem at all. It is really smooth.

Sreeku
sreeku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 13:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sreeku...are you sure its actually knocking? Its seems the sound you are hearing is not actually coming from the engine.

Has your car been involved anytime with a large pothole at high speed?

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 16:07   #9
sAP
BHPian

Sreeku: I have noticed that on the Corsa, there is an apparent engagement sound when the clutch is released in first gear. This is harmless and is different from an engine knock. Are you sure you aren't talking about that? Engine knocking resembles the sound of say, a spoon hitting a metal ball several times over.

sAP
Old 5th May 2006, 16:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
Sreeku...are you sure its actually knocking? Its seems the sound you are hearing is not actually coming from the engine.

Has your car been involved anytime with a large pothole at high speed?

Drifter
To me it feels like engine knocking, since I have to press the clutch hard, when it happens or the engine stalls.

Can you explain what is the relation with pot hole. It is quite possible that I hit a pothole at high speed. But I have once got the protective shield below the car verified for any dents, which could produce noise.

Sreeku
Old 5th May 2006, 16:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

If its a pothole, debris could have damaged the tie-rod...check its condition...that could be bent...that may be coming in contact with the engine during load condition when you start-off from standstill.
That seems likely. Has happened to me.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 5th May 2006 at 16:25.
Old 5th May 2006, 17:35   #12
sAP
BHPian

Arrow K&N replacement filter on a Corsa 1.4

Stevie & Sreeku:

Can you please elaborate on how you have benefitted from shifting to a K&N replacement filter on a Corsa? For instance, one of you have mentioned that pickup has increased. I'd like your independent opinions on:
  1. Is the increase in acceleration apparent thoughout the rev-range or is it enhanced only in high revs?
  2. Has the bottom end become more sluggish than when you used the stock filter?
  3. Any change in fuel consumption that you have noticed or has it remained the same?
sAP
Old 5th May 2006, 17:42   #13
sAP
BHPian

Drifter: Here is a descriptive on the tie-rod. Is this the part you are talking about? http://www.carcare.org/Steering_Susp.../tie_rod.shtml

sAP
Old 5th May 2006, 17:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

sAP, i think thats the one although in my car i think it was longer...if its bent by damage from the road...it can be cause of the noise.

Drifter
Old 5th May 2006, 22:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAP
Stevie & Sreeku:
  1. Is the increase in acceleration apparent thoughout the rev-range or is it enhanced only in high revs?
  2. Has the bottom end become more sluggish than when you used the stock filter?
  3. Any change in fuel consumption that you have noticed or has it remained the same?
sAP
My comments. I used a stock replacement filter.
1. There is a noticeable sound difference at low revs. But the difference in acceleration is really felt above 2000 rpm.

2. I would not say that it became sluggish. For me, even though there was no difference in power noticed at low revs, at least it became more smooth. Please refer to the knocking issue I was facing. Most of it is smoothened out.

3. I can not really comment on this. I keep record of fuel refills and km in an excel sheet. I switched to K&N and also from BP-Speed fuel to Shell Super at the same time. My mileage has gone up from 9.5 to 10.4 in city drive (minimal use of A/C in Bangalore). But I can not say which - K&N or Shell attributed to it. It could be both. I really don't want to go back to Speed and verify it. I am loving the current drive, except for the occational first gear knock. BTW K&N dealer told me that there would be a 4-5% increase in power and FE. But I am not taking it for the granted.

Sreeku