Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 12th September 2010, 00:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Jayanth, i seriously doubt whether our car's shock absorbers are of good quality or are sub-standard?
Well, my rear shocks (both) conked out at ~17k KM, and were replaced on warranty. Oil leak.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 12:33   #32
BHPian

Its time to change the tyres of my car. Have CPC2s in 195 size on my car now. Am desperately looking around for Hankook Ventus RS2/RS3. Dont mind driving down to Bangalore for them.

The CPC2s were great tyres, decent on dry and brilliant on wet roads. I had so much confidence that I drive faster on wet than dry now

Where can i get the Hankooks? I will go for 205 this time.
furioussphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 12:54   #33
BHPian

I finally went for 195/55/15 CPC2s at Rs. 4575/- per tire. Fitted them last Saturday. Advans were not available, I waited for a week to see if I can get hold of them.

I am taking it easy as the tires are new, but here is the initial impression from the 3 days of driving around:

The good:
- Steering feel much lighter now
- Ride quality is much much better
- Road noise has gone down significantly especially on rough / broken roads
- Tramlining has reduced significantly (I still have to test this at higher speeds on highway)

The bad:
- Breaking distance seems to have increased (I can't be sure of this, this may also be due to the fact that the tires were brand new when I noticed this)
- Steering feedback has reduced. With PP2s the steering felt much more direct and used to react with smallest of inputs.
- Overall the sharpness in handling has reduced. It feels almost sedate now.

I will update my impression after a highway run this weekend.
vabs78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 18:56   #34
BHPian

After spending about 3 weeks and one Pune-Nasik-Pune highway drive with the new tires I must say that I am mighty impressed with the CPC2s. Following are my observations:

- Much much better ride. Wify is very happy with the new tires.
- Road noise has reduced significantly. Especially on rough roads.
- Tramlining has reduced significantly. I feel much more comfortable and confident while driving on patchy roads at high speeds.
- Dry grip is almost as good as PP2s. There may be little reduction in grip but nothing noticeable. Considering I have also gone down to 195 width, this seems quiet impressive to me.
- Wet grip is excellent. I didn't notice any reduction in grip when it suddenly started raining on my way back from Nasik to Pune. I was able drive at same speeds without feeling any kind of discomfort.
- Handling and sharpness of the car have gone down by a little bit. Nothing to cause any worry but I do miss the riding-on-rails like feeling with the PP2s. This was expected because the higher profile of tires. Somebody give me something to improve Getz's handling.

Overall, I am happy with the tire change and I highly recommend the CPC2s.
Old 8th October 2010, 22:36   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
Somebody give me something to improve Getz's handling.
Simple. Get the Monroe rear dampers.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 19:57   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Prajesh - Are you running these on your Getz? I am assuming Yes, please post some more details - how much these cost and the perceived improvements. How are these different from stock? Do they offer a firmer ride? I am really interested.
Beast_of_Burden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 17:21   #37
BHPian

Update from my side: The breaking distance has definitely gone up i.e. grip has gone down. Strange thing is that I did not feel this on my highway drive. I only observed this while doing short speed bursts in city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Prajesh - some more details please . And why only rear dampers?
Old 21st October 2010, 01:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

Vabs - Fronts not available, only rears are available.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 13:21   #39
BHPian

If I have to sum up my experience after the tire change in one sentence; "Life is much more comfortable with the CPC2 but wheres all the fun gone?"

I am exaggerating off-course, but you get the idea.

@iraghava, Prajesh, any idea who can source the Monroes in pune / mumbai?
Old 22nd October 2010, 15:20   #40

Default hello

i'm running maxxis za-1 205/r16's on my getz crdi.. blasted past the express way at 170 constant on long stretches.. my car felt absolutely planted.. even on wet roads.. as well as dry - wet transitions..
belsonkoshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 03:47   #41
Senior - BHPian

Vaibhav - Talk to Pete's directly, they'll deliver to your door step.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 13:42   #42
BHPian

For Monroes talk to peter but i guess you made a wrong choice of Tyre for a rocket hatch that getz is. I would have gone for hankook rs2 or neovas or ps3

CPC2 is a horrible set your braking distances would be almost 1.3 times more than in pp2 i have personally experienced it in my skoda
raj.barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 18:21   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Vaibhav - Talk to Pete's directly, they'll deliver to your door step.
Yes will do, I am relocating to Bangalore in couple of months, will do this after settling there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
CPC2 is a horrible set your braking distances would be almost 1.3 times more than in pp2 i have personally experienced it in my skoda
This is true. The breaking distance has gone up. I wouldn't say its inadequate but you certainly feel it after moving from PP2. Next time I change tires I will sure go back to a more performance oriented tire.
Old 7th December 2012, 13:36   #44
BHPian

Default Re: What should be worthy successor for PP2 on my GetzD

Time to change the tires again.
My current set has completely worn out and I am afraid to take the car out for long drives. GetZD has just completed 50K kms.

I am not happy with my experience with Conti CPC2. Compared to Michline PP2s that I had earlier, CPC2s have significantly lower dry grip. Wet grip is also not that impressive. PP2s used to work like a charm in wet, almost as if there is no water. Turn-ins also were much sharper with PP2s.

I also think that my choice of tire size was less than ideal. So I am planning to switch back to 205/50/15 or go for 195/50/15.

I want to either go for Michline PS3 or Yoko AD07/08 but they don't seem to be available in these sizes.

Guys, please suggest where to find these tires in Bangalore(I stay near Bellandur/Sarjapur rd). Also tell me if there are any worthy candidates that I should be looking for.

Looking forward to your suggestions.
Old 18th December 2012, 16:44   #45
BHPian

Default Re: What should be worthy successor for PP2 on my GetzD

I am unable to find either Michline PS3 or Yoko Advans in 15" size. I checked 3 different dealers and online portal changemytyre.com.
Only options that I am seeing in 205/50/15 or 195/50/15 are Yoko S.Drive, A.Drive, Bridgestone Potenza G3.

Please advice guys. I know Prajesh is successfully using A.Drives but they are not really performance tires.
Also don't want to go for S.Drives as I have heard they are not that good on wet traction.

Changemytyre.com has Kumho KU31 listed in 205/50-R15 size but i don't know anything about this brand. Is this worth considering?

Thanks for your help.