Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 22nd October 2011, 11:13   #16
BHPian

Default Re: How do I make my SX4 more comfortable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunit View Post
I own an SX4 ZXI (not the new VVT) which is about 2 years old and run close to 30,000 kms. Every now and then I am tempted to upgrade to a more comfortable car. But the feeling of bring debt- free very soon keeps me going. I would to love to keep my Sx4 for as long as i can if I am to fix some of my biggest pain points.

I live in Indiranagar, Bangalore and work in JP nagar which is roughly at a distance of 10km. It's not that big a distance but boy it's one hell of a ride. I am perpetually taking shortcuts to avoid the main road traffic but it just makes my commute even more hectic. And as you might all know the SX4 ride in slow speeds isn't the most comfortable. I'd love to move to JP nagar but my wife and kid are well settled in Indiranagar so that's not an option. So, I am willing to do anything to make ride a little more comfortable.

And today here's what I need help with:

1. Should I upgrade the stock JK Vectra to Michelins? I've read on some of the threads that all the credit to the bumpy ride goes to the stock tyres. I am guessing the costs involved is upwards of 9k a tyre. It is a huge expense so I want to know if it's an investment worth making.

2. The other factor that makes my ride painful is the steering- it's way too stiff. It's always been like that but off late it's got worse. The Maruti guys haven't been able to help - each time they tell me to get my wheel balanced / aligned but it hasn't helped at all. Is it got anything to do with the larger tyres that come with the ZXI or would better tyres help this cause as well? Any tips on optimising this?

3. Is it too early to getting my suspensions changed, what's the ideal time to do that? Let me know.

Any other tips or advice would be of great help. Really looking forward to hear from other SX4 and longer term car owners.

Thanks

Sunit
Sunit, have you thought about downsizing from 16 in to 15 inch wheels. That should iron out all your problems. The downside of downsizing is that you will lose some GC. If that is fine with you, do go for this option. check out this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...aruti-sx4.html
This thread should help you a lot.Best thing is the thread starter stays in Banglore too.
Hope this helps
Varun

Last edited by powertrain : 22nd October 2011 at 11:15.
powertrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 11:39   #17
BHPian

I guess downgrading will bring another set of issues in our potholed roads.

Better to sell of the Vectras & go for softer compound tyres. Play around with the tyre pressure till you find the setting comfortable for you. 30psi is good for most vehicles & does not compromise on FE & comfort.

Switching to alloy wheels (if you are on steel wheels) may help but i am unsure to what extent it can be felt in city use.
Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 11:44   #18
BHPian

Hi Sunit, I have the SX4 VVT, and I really am very happy with my ride. The day of the purchase of the car, I've put Yokohama ES501 Db tyres, which are super silent, and comfortable, so cannot really comment about your JK. Try the Yokos, but you still have some 5-10k of life left in your tyres, so see if you'll get a good buy-back.
I use nitrogen and keep the pressure at 32 psi all around (recommended is 30). I find this gives me the best ride and steering.

As for the steering, I find the steering of my SX4 really light. Absolutely no problem. Either your tyres are grossly underinflated or you need to have a long hard look at the steering geometry, alignment, etc.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 12:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

One of my former colleagues did change his SX4's tyre when they were due for a change and i do remember him saying that the ride is now more comfortable. Never checked which brand/make of tyres he had put on but can check.

If the tyres haven't gone bad and are good for sometime i would suggest decreasing the pressure and see if that makes a difference. When the time for change comes do more research before change, there is no point in changing when they are good to last some more time as you are never sure if the new ones will make a lot of difference.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 07:34   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord
I've put Yokohama ES501 Db tyres, which are super silent, and comfortable, so cannot really comment about your JK. Try the Yokos, but you still have some 5-10k of life left in your tyres, so see if you'll get a good buy-back.
Where did you get your tyres from and how much did you pay?
sunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 20:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) Keep the tyre pressure around 3-4 PSI lower than what is recommended, this would help you in ride quality, but FE would be hit. At the same time as its city run, it wont make a very big difference.
Absolutely.

I have been maintaining 3 psi lesser on each of my 4 wheels, for my solo city runs to my office in my Esteem. This has improved the low speed ride comfort tremendously.

I increase it to the rated pressures only for the highway runs.

Another personal opinion. My upgrade to Michelin 175 70 R13 from the stock JKs 175 70 R13 improved the highway handling and grip phenomenally. But unfortunately, the low speed ride comfort on Bangalore's roads did not improve much. Hence the decision to lower the tyre pressures a bit.

Sorry to barge in on an SX4 thread with my Esteem, just thought of sharing my experience in case it helps !

Last edited by mooza : 24th October 2011 at 20:43.
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:28   #22
BHPian

Default Tire change for SX4

My 30K kilometers run 2007 model SX4 is in need of front tires. I am currently running some run-of-the-mill Nankang tires with the following specs: 225/45/17. Can someone please suggest a comfortable and safe tire which I can replace the Nankangs with?

I have already gotten in touch with Nikhil but suggestions are welcome. Please don't ask me to part with my Lenso alloys. That would break my heart!

Cheers!
Bluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 20:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
I guess downgrading will bring another set of issues in our potholed roads.

Better to sell of the Vectras & go for softer compound tyres. Play around with the tyre pressure till you find the setting comfortable for you. 30psi is good for most vehicles & does not compromise on FE & comfort.

Switching to alloy wheels (if you are on steel wheels) may help but i am unsure to what extent it can be felt in city use.
A bit late to check this thread, but in my past 1+ years of ownership, GC has not been a issue in Bangalore - So would request to give it a second thought.

Now coming to choice of alloys/steel wheels - Please ensure that if you do downgrade - Go for (positive) 45-55 ET (offset) and 6 or 6.5J rims. Trust me, I was not doing the right thing with the NEO Xtreme alloys (they were 38mm offset) and the wheels were protuding. Later I decided to change them to alloys with offset closer to 50mm and I found a perfect match - A used 5-spoke Honda Accord (ENKEI make) with 55mm offset (and 6.5J). It was a marriage made in heaven, and goes well with existing suspension setup. The SX4 VVT (type-3 as it is called by mechanics) has a different part number for struts and coils.

FRONT SUSPENSION
41601M55K52 STRUT ASSY, FR SUSPENSION RH = Rs. 1775
41602M55K52 STRUT ASSY, FR SUSPENSION LH = Rs. 1775
41111M55K21 SPRING, FRONT COIL : 2pcs @ Rs. 733.00 x 2 = Rs. 1466

REAR SUSPENSION
41311M55K01 SPRING, REAR COIL : 2pcs @ Rs. 575.00 = Rs. 1150
41800M55K02 ABSORBER ASSY, REAR SHOCK : 2pcs @ Rs. 1579.00= Rs. 3158

Source: MGA parts list

Bangalore guys can get it off the counter from Essar Automotives (Lalbagh or Bommanahalli) - or just ask your local service center to get and fit for you.
The upgrade is well worth but the coils drop GC by 10mm approx.

There is a difference in steering feedback feel as well (Steering becomes lighter - yet feels better connected)

So your new GC (if non VVT Zxi SX4) will be:
190mm - 5mm (downsize) - 10mm = 175mm - This is still good to live with. Also the benefits of lesser body roll should not be ruled out.
I invite you guys at bangalore to take my car's test drive and decide for yourselves. Please be good to your spine :-)

Last but not the least - spend 6000 on a 16" JK Vectra or 5.5K on a fantastic 15" Michelin Primacy LC (for future refresh cycles).

Last edited by devsoftech : 5th January 2012 at 20:48.
devsoftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 17:03   #24
BHPian

Default Possible to downsize tyres from 195/60/R15 to ???

Hey guys,

As the thread title suggests I wanted to change all 4 tyres of my car swift. I already have 195/60/R15 on my car with a 15" alloy. I wanted to downsize it to 185 or 175 with 60 or 65 profile. Is this a good idea and also how will it affect the performance of the car(Shockers and FE mainly).

The main reason for the tyre change is the high cost of 195 tyre and also MASS just changed 3 out of 4 shockers in my car though free of cost but now my car is our of extended warranty hence the thought.

Thanks In Advance

Switch
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 17:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Possible to downsize tyres from 195/60/R15 to ???

I presume,yours is the Pre facelift Swift.
You can simply revert to 185\70\R14 tyres,which was the stock size for Pre facelift ZXI.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 17:16   #26
BHPian

Yes its the old swift. I don't want to forgo the alloys which I have. They are 15"ers :P

Last edited by Switch : 18th August 2012 at 17:17.
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 18:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
Yes its the old swift. I don't want to forgo the alloys which I have. They are 15"ers :P
Then you cannot reduce the size.
Only other option would be 185\60\R15(Manza's size) and 175\65(not sure of profile)\R15 comes as OEM on Honda City,but these would cost almost same as 195\60\R15.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 19:52   #28
BHPian

185/60/15 Apollo and 175/65/R15 Goodyear should roughly cost you under 3.5K per tyre. Take a call.
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 21:13   #29
BHPian

You can also downgrade to 185/65 R15 which is the stock size of the new ZXI/ZDI. 185/60 R15 would mean lower profile and would affect the ride quality further, reduced diameter/speedo error.
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 22:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 4 of 4

As it says its like a bible to understand how different sizes impact the car.
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote