Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2010, 20:30   #1
BHPian
 
dhuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 196
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Michelin XM1+ Vs Yokohama A-drive

In another section I had posted about my old set of tyres with couple of pics on wear. Today I went to Millivisions Bangalore and purchased a replacement set of 5. The choices for a 155/65/R13 tubeless came down to 1) Yokohama A-drive (AA01) and 2) Michelin XM1+. There was a Goodyear promising 100000 kms too, which I ignored! Michelin was priced around 2950/- per tyre. Interesting difference between A-drive and XM1+ was in the Treadwear rating. The A-drive was rated at 340, XM1 was 400. The side wall of XM1+ did seem stiffer than the A-drive. My assumption was - Adrive might have a shorter life than this XM1+ I saw, but comfort might be better.
I picked up A-drives finally at Rs.2600/- per piece inclusive of 13.5% VAT. I also bought new valves from Wonder (made in Italy) for Rs.100/- per piece (seemed over priced...but didnt negotiate!). Should mention that I didnt find the treadwear, temperature and traction ratings on Yokohama tyres. I spoke with their representative (Mr.Apachu) who said these were made in Philippines for Asian markets where it is not statuatory to disclose this info. However, he checked his charts and told me the Treadwear was 330/360 and Temperature was A. He didnt have the Traction info.
The ride quality surely was better than the worn goodyear G3's I had. Steering seemed smoother and curved roads at 60kmph seemed more stable and in control with no roll. Sound - couldn't tell much of a difference between old tyres and new ones. Maybe it is my poor acuity!
The pictures I am sharing are of the new tyres and the wonder valve and a picture of my alloy. Guess I missed taking one of the wheels after fitting! Thanks to all the members who shared so much about tyres and their choices in this forum. It surely helped my research.
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin XM1+ Vs Yokohama A-drive-wagonr-010.jpg  

Michelin XM1+ Vs Yokohama A-drive-wagonr-011.jpg  

Michelin XM1+ Vs Yokohama A-drive-wagonr-007.jpg  

Michelin XM1+ Vs Yokohama A-drive-wagonr-009.jpg  

Michelin XM1+ Vs Yokohama A-drive-wagonr-005.jpg  

dhuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:39   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,632
Thanked: 1,257 Times
Default

Congrats on your rides new shoes.

Does Millivisions fit the tyres too or does he outsource it to some one else?And is the fitting cost extra?If so how much?
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:18   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,702
Thanked: 324 Times
Default

I have used Both Michelin XM1+ Yokohoma A. size being 185/70/R13
I would rate Michelin above Yokohama in Braking+handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Congrats on your rides new shoes.

Does Millivisions fit the tyres too or does he outsource it to some one else?And is the fitting cost extra?If so how much?
Nopes he doesn't fit.
He'll refer you to Vijay Wheel alignment @V.V.Puram.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 00:03   #4
BHPian
 
dhuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 196
Thanked: 47 Times
Default millivision

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Congrats on your rides new shoes.

Does Millivisions fit the tyres too or does he outsource it to some one else?And is the fitting cost extra?If so how much?
Millivision doesnt do the fitting. He recommends you go to Vijay Alignment nearby. I did as I was in a hurry. However, Vijay's place (key guy - Sanjay) was a bit chaotic. They dont print out the wheel alignment variations. You have to accept what is told verbally. Tyre fitting+wheel balancing+wheel alignment (front) costed me around 550/- including the weights. There was a chap (hawks) waiting to pick up old tyres for a steal. I was a bit lost and lost the bargain. I gave off my old tyres for 1000/- bucks.
dhuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 19:06   #5
BHPian
 
dhuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 196
Thanked: 47 Times
Question Yokohama A-Drive update

Just got back from a Pondicherry trip. As pointed out on this forum, the stretch between Krishnagiri to Tirunvanamalai is quite terrible. Unfortunately, I had a tyre give way. Didnt realize till some distance when it was totally devoid of air. At the nearest town, asked if they had a 'kit' for tubeless tire fixing. He said yes and filled up my (flat) tyre with air. Soon, the futility of fixing became apparent as the tire was gone at 3 places along the side walls. One of them was a 1/4" gash. I am attributing it to one pot hole I couldnt avoid (at 60kmph). Well, I went on without a spare tyre and for return journey picked up a Michelin XM1+ of same specs (155/65/R13) in Pondicherry. There was no other choice!

In retrospect, I had compared both the Yokohama and Michelin. I found the sidewalls a bit more firmer on the Michelin and assumed Yokohama's will offer more comfort as a result. The comfort surely was better with the Yokohama (compared to the Bridgestones). I am left wondering if the Michelins would have survived the bad roads better.
dhuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 18:21   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Yokohama A-Drive update

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
Just got back from a Pondicherry trip. As pointed out on this forum, the stretch between Krishnagiri to Tirunvanamalai is quite terrible. Unfortunately, I had a tyre give way. Didnt realize till some distance when it was totally devoid of air. At the nearest town, asked if they had a 'kit' for tubeless tire fixing. He said yes and filled up my (flat) tyre with air. Soon, the futility of fixing became apparent as the tire was gone at 3 places along the side walls. One of them was a 1/4" gash. I am attributing it to one pot hole I couldnt avoid (at 60kmph). Well, I went on without a spare tyre and for return journey picked up a Michelin XM1+ of same specs (155/65/R13) in Pondicherry. There was no other choice!

In retrospect, I had compared both the Yokohama and Michelin. I found the sidewalls a bit more firmer on the Michelin and assumed Yokohama's will offer more comfort as a result. The comfort surely was better with the Yokohama (compared to the Bridgestones). I am left wondering if the Michelins would have survived the bad roads better.
I agree with you. My Yokohama C.Drive picked up a thorn in the sidewall that probably the Michelins Enery XM1 (185/65R14) in my Baleno would have avoided. I have really abused the Michelins and they have never let me down through the last 42 k kms.

The puncture in my Innova was very small (~10 psi loss per MONTH) and I got it repaired through a patch inside the tire ad it have behaved for the past 10k kms.

While purchasing too, the Yoko sidewall felt softer compared to the Michelins. And a lot of people who sat in My innova have said that it rides cushier compared to regular Innovas (despite me upsizign to 225/60R15)

Last edited by Buffetfan : 25th January 2011 at 18:22.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 11:05   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 352
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Michelin XM1+ Vs Yokohama A-drive

i was in the same place at one point in time choosing between the a drive and xm1+ for my Swift. i got the a-drives.

but i'm not very happy with it's cushioning. I find it to be bouncy on mumbai roads. the grip is quite good though and is confidence inspiring but the same can't be said for the ride.

i'm want try the michelin this time as i have to upgrade the tires for my City.

It would be nice if someone has tried both A-drive vs. XM1+ on the same car to come forward and share their experiences on the ride quality & grip.
rana_kirti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 14:12   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,336
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: Michelin XM1+ Vs Yokohama A-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
It would be nice if someone has tried both A-drive vs. XM1+ on the same car to come forward and share their experiences on the ride quality & grip.
I have 184/70/14 A drives on my car and my son has same size MichelinXM1+ on his swift VDI.

Now to check out the two I filled 33psi in front and 29 at the rear (checked when cold with my own gauge) . Then drove down the same stretch of cobbled stone road. Found michis to be more cushioning and the roughness of the cobble stones was very little, whereas with the yokos I could feel the rippling of the cobble stones.

But i have driven the yokos for 20k kms mostly on highways and find them very grippy on turns. Never drove with michis on the highway.

Hope this helps
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 15:18   #9
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,446
Thanked: 4,057 Times
Default Re: Michelin XM1+ Vs Yokohama A-drive

+1 .

Michelin infact scores high on comfort, and its because of its soft side walls. This turns out bad for handling potholes.

The Yokohama A-Drive is strictly a VFM product, and the XM1+ should score higher anytime. Well, at a premium price of course.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 15:52   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 352
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Michelin XM1+ Vs Yokohama A-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I have 184/70/14 A drives on my car and my son has same size MichelinXM1+ on his swift VDI.

Now to check out the two I filled 33psi in front and 29 at the rear (checked when cold with my own gauge) . Then drove down the same stretch of cobbled stone road. Found michis to be more cushioning and the roughness of the cobble stones was very little, whereas with the yokos I could feel the rippling of the cobble stones.

But i have driven the yokos for 20k kms mostly on highways and find them very grippy on turns. Never drove with michis on the highway.

Hope this helps

Thanks i'm getting michelins this time !
rana_kirti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 01:12   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Michelin XM1+ Vs Yokohama A-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Thanks i'm getting michelins this time !
I am sure that C.Drives cushion significantly better compared to A.Drives and similar or better compared to Michelins. But not sure if you will get them in 80 or 70 profile that OEM Swift needs.

see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2022454 (Yokohama C drive (now in a wider range of sizes)) for a comparison between A and C drives
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Michelin XM1+ Ajaybiz Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 498 8th September 2014 13:52
Michelin XM1 or Potenza for WagonR?? ravi@64bhp Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 206 22nd August 2014 11:55
Changed to Michelin Energy XM1 from almost new Goodyear NCT-5 rishi_kapoor Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 12 17th November 2008 15:43
Michelin energy xm1+ vs. Yokohama A.Drive...? rana_kirti Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 1 30th May 2008 20:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks