Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 21st December 2006, 10:54   #76
BANNED

Hi Everybody,
I just got the HR racing new pattern Alloys fitted on my scorpio crde(16") with the same stock tubed jk tyres, my steering starts vibtaing beyond 80 km/hr.
I bought it from Lal in Whites road and when i insisted on it being balanced he was very confident that there will be no vibrations, now it looks like i first have to get them balanced and then thin of other options.
Please advice.

cheers
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 11:47   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
now it looks like i first have to get them balanced and then thin of other options.
Please advice.

cheers
When you change the tyres, its a must that you must balance and do a wheel alignment
anToNIcHeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 12:17   #78
sAP
BHPian

Thumbs up response

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Hi Everybody,
I just got the HR racing new pattern Alloys fitted on my scorpio crde(16") with the same stock tubed jk tyres, my steering starts vibtaing beyond 80 km/hr. I bought it from Lal in Whites road and when i insisted on it being balanced he was very confident that there will be no vibrations, now it looks like i first have to get them balanced and then thin of other options.
Please advice.
Pradeep: Balancing is absolutely necessary. Start from the beginning of this thread and you will get a fair idea what needs to be done. The following posts show what worked for me:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...tml#post151614 (Solution for vibrations after installing alloy wheels)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...tml#post308590 (Solution for vibrations after installing alloy wheels)

Hope this helps

sAP
sAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 18:13   #79
BHPian

i fixed the hub center kits still i ahve the proble.i did balancing 2 times.no use.what can i do to fix this problem?
jerish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2006, 01:53   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post
i fixed the hub center kits still i ahve the proble.i did balancing 2 times.no use.what can i do to fix this problem?

Just fitting hub rings will not solve the problem the wheel should have the groove to hold the rings .I will post the pictures tomorrow.

PJ
PJSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2006, 16:23   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSPEED View Post
Just fitting hub rings will not solve the problem the wheel should have the groove to hold the rings .I will post the pictures tomorrow.

PJ
PJ can you please post the pictures.
jerish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2006, 19:08   #82
BHPian

Here You Go Guys Pic of the HCR that I got done in bangalore for my Baleno... Outer Dia 73.1mm and inner dia 54.0mm... The Rings have been fixed firmly to the alloys I've used quickfix to keep the rings in place even though the rings were hammered (Used the wooden hammer) into the alloys.
mega5918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 10:06   #83
BANNED

Dear SAP,
I was zapped by your extensive knowledge on this issue!
As already advised i did a thorough balancing job in lal,whites road and even after that i find that the problem is not fully solved, the vibration is intermittent and more prominent in some roads, i am confused.
Anyway i have decide to go in for the hub rings.
I hv found out that the foll is the specs of the HIJOIN ALLOYS,

TYPE-169 SM
SIZE-16X7
OFFSET-0
PCD-160
HOLES-5H
HUB-109.7
Unfortunately i could not get any other detail other than
16x6.5 on wheel specs
Old 29th January 2007, 11:54   #84
sAP
BHPian

Pradeep: Keep us posted on the results after you install centering rings. The rings must not move about inside the wheel but should remain seated well on the wheel. Also when balancing, keep the rings on the wheel when it is mounted on the balancing machine.

If you look through my previous posts on this thread, I still had issues (brake shudder) after about 7000kms down the line with centering rings installed. Hope your experience turns out different. Good luck.

sAP
Old 15th February 2007, 11:46   #85
BANNED

Hi Sap,
I was in Trichy where a friend of mine has a lathe etc.Since Mahindra engineer could not give the Hub dia we removed one wheel and measured, it was 107 (alloy dia is 109.7)cm,the difference of 2.7 mm is almost covered by the hub cap in the alloy by 1mm so we could not fabricate anything in 1.7mm.Neither was i keen in doing anything on the originality of the alloy.
So we just removed all the four wheels and put them back tightly.
Believe me 85% of the problem was solved on my drive back to chennai.
I am still confused.
Your views please.
thanks & cheers.
Old 15th February 2007, 20:10   #86
sAP
BHPian

Arrow Off center = imbalance

Pradeep: I am not sure what you mean by 85%; if you refer my original post, my steering vibrated only between 100-120km/hr -- which was the original problem.

The idea is to get the wheels to center on the axle and not the lugs/nuts. In my opinion, a 2.7mm gap is still going to hamper that objective.

You must not confuse the space taken by the hub cap. Centering *rings* are usually narrow and must not be wide that they interfere with the installation of the hub caps.

Hope this makes sense.

sAP
Old 16th February 2007, 13:24   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

sAP, nice thread with lots of useful info.

Came across this one only yesterday. And after reading through it, I now know that there are quite some tasks for me to do.
I had moved from stock steel wheels to Alloys (the ones you saw at the last tbhp meet) a month or so ago. Did it at Lal's, Whites Road. He said there is no need for balancing/alignment and I also did not do it. After the change I never got a chance to do any high speed driving (above 100kmph) and thus not sure whether there will be any vibrations or not. Anyway, plan to get the balancing/alignment done soon. Thanks.

Somehow after seeing all the possible issues that can result from changing stock stuff, I feel that it is always better to stick to stock like I had been doing pre-tbhp. If not for tbhp, my car would have had stock rims for its whole life and my bank a/c would have not been thinner by 12K.
IMO too many hassles which are not really worth the looks that you gain from alloys.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 16th February 2007 at 13:28.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 09:35   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This was one thing I was worried about while deciding on the alloys. In fact I was worried about pcd, offset, rimwidth and centre bore.

Baleno pcd is 100, the alloys has to match this.
Baleno offset should between 35-40, mine was 38.
Rimwidth depends on your choice of tyre width, I took 6 inch.
Center bore was one thing I couldn't match. The wheel center bore is much bigger than baleno's wheel mount. I was quite worried about that, but iceman said it was not a problem. And I have not had any problems until now.

BTW, my alloys dealer didn't know anything about offset. He only knew tyre company and models names and what sells.
Hi Samurai,

I own a 2005 Swift Vxi and have upgraded my wheels recently from the stock 165/80/R14 to Goodyear Eagle F1 195/60/R15. My rims are imported from OZ Racing of size 6.5 X 15". PCD 100 & Offset 43. Now these specifications were given by the OZ Racing guys and i had no problems with the installation and stuff. I however am facing a wierd problem. At high speeds, i.e. 50 + kmph i get a humming sound from the car. I do not get this sound at lower speeds and the humming sound keeps appearing and disappearing randomly. What could be the problem? This is starting to worry and irritate me too.

Epic
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 10:48   #89
Senior - BHPian

Epic - I would say this is tyre noise, which is a characteristic of the Eagle tyres & most other V-tread designs. Nothing to worry about I would say since it's a design feature of the tyres.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 17:36   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Epic - I would say this is tyre noise, which is a characteristic of the Eagle tyres & most other V-tread designs. Nothing to worry about I would say since it's a design feature of the tyres.

Hi Raghava,

I would say this is one of the most ridiculous features offered in any tyre But im glad its got nothing to do with the car. I thought my wheel bearings were busted. Do you mean to say that if i install a set of tyres without a V tread, i would not get the sound? I guess V treads are the wrong choice then? Thank anyway.

Epic
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote