Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 19th November 2010, 16:03   #61
BHPian

Tough luck for you and I hope you dint suffer any injury.
Now I am even more happier with my decision to shift the OEM Vectras in my cruze to continentals the very first day
np23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 22:02   #62
BHPian

I had a similar experience with my WagonR that originally came with JK Ultima tube type tires.
After 5 years and 30k KM, the rear right tire opened up while driving in city at 40 KMPH similar to SS traveler.
One more tire showed signs of bloating.
I quickly decided to change all the tires as the rubber has lost its characteristics.
Upgraded to Michelin 155/70/R13 tubeless tires and have logged 32k KM since and have had no trouble at all so far.
IMHO time as well as use will deteriorate the tire strength and we have to keep watching for any visible changes on regular basis for a safe driving.
For my new car I could get Michelin as stock tires and saved me some money by not changing the OEM tires.
I suppose some of the members are ignorant of the tire life and the natural deterioration and wear and tear of the rubber in the tire and are over reacting.

HC
Habanero City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 10:34   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Not agreeing or disagreeing about JK quality, but repution wise, they seem to be doing well.
J.D.Power and Associates - Press Release

So, I am not sure how or what Maruti should learn?
Of course Maruti will not want to learn if they read that link. I am curious to see where Michelin stands in those JD power rankings.

My experience with JK Vectra has always been the road noise and lower traction compared to lets say Michelin or Bridgestone. And as a thumb rule, stock tyres provided by most car companies are just about average and go with the company's policy of reducing costs. Reading about the poor experience of few other JK tyre users here on TBHP only reaffirms this fact.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 20th November 2010 at 10:37.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 13:08   #64
BHPian

Default Bulge/lump in my Brand new Continental tyre(1 day old)

Got a Bulge in One day old Continental Contact sport 2 Tyre on my Skoda Octavia with 225 45 17. While my Grey market Bridgestones gave me 50000 kms before giving up without any Bulges or lumps and any problems whatsoever.
After all that research and going in for the Conti's, now seems the Biggest mistake!
And to top it all the engineers from the company who came to inspect it, had the worst attitude. It seemed as if even before inspecting the tyre, they had made their judgements and conclusions.

And the Best Part nor did my Car go on any speed bumps at high speeds or any potholes as i remember clearly it had only been a day. And as it is my main driving is of the Gurgaon-delhi Highway.

So i definitely know it's a Manufacturing Defect !!
Let's see what happens as they have send the report including some pictures taken to the office.
they will be getting back to me by Wednesday.

Any Comments, Suggestions fellow Bhpian's??
Thanks.
But it's Really Sad. How things work here in our country.
:(

P.S. - Should have gone for the PS3's OR Eagle F1 Asymmetric (the only reason i went for Conti's were the price).
crashoverride9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 17:32   #65
BHPian

JK Tyre seems to be the only one brand having these issues with such high frequency these days. I personally know two friends (Beat owners) whose tyres were destroyed when driving on perfect roads (BNG-MYS highway). There were big holes on the tyres. Those guys were lucky to escape from serious trouble.
AstonMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 23:21   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Default 2 tyres replaced

2 tyres were changed with Bridgestones today. They're called "Taxi Premium", they're made in Thailand, and they've got at least 40% more tread depth than equivalent Apollo Aceleres. They cost me Rs.3400 each, and they are about twice as comfortable to drive on, than the JKs. Softer and more pliant, they soak up the potholes and ridges noticeably better.

Trust me, I know what I'm doing! I've used these tyres before. And I have no ego hassles about any of you considering my car to be a taxi because of the tyres. Hop on, and I'll bill you for it too!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 00:48   #67
Senior - BHPian

Taxi Premium is a work horse tyre found in nearly 6 taxis out of 10 all over South East and South Asia. Any idea regarding the channel through which this is being marketed. Sometime back it was available only as a grey import.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 02:20   #68
BHPian

SS-Traveller,

I have had the same stock JKs on my ZXi till a few months ago. They had done 47k, a lot of it through some really tough terrain including a trip to Leh and many other trips to the hills. They did not exhibit a similar problem, but they were picking up punctures quite easily after about 43K.

The rubber in the tread was, though, starting to disintegrate in places and I had a long trip coming up (Delhi-Kerala-Delhi) so got them changed. I'm running some Malaysian Bridgestones called MY-01. Did the long trip without a single problem on them (close to 10k kilometers now on the new ones) and I love them, even though I was pretty skeptical about them initially.

I have heard a lot of bad things about the stock JKs (mostly about the on the VXI, LXI variants and not the Vectras on the ZXi), but it looks like you dodged a bullet there, whether the failure was induced by reasons avoidable or not.
codelust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 15:23   #69
BHPian

My Jk tyre broken at 27k Kms.. Got large punchure and tyre side wall broken badly.. This happened while running the car at 40km/hr..
johnjojo08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 15:28   #70
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Taxi Premium is a work horse tyre found in nearly 6 taxis out of 10 all over South East and South Asia. Any idea regarding the channel through which this is being marketed. Sometime back it was available only as a grey import.
You rightly said, they are still available via grey market only.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:29   #71
BHPian

Default Same experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
It's run 51k km (in 4 years & 10 months), but still had sufficient tread left to allow me to change in the next few weeks.
I have the same story to share. I own a 2005 Black Zxi. I changed the stock tyres when my odo read 47K Kms. Though the tyre had life for another 10K KM, i changed the 4 tyre for safety reason. I reserved one aged tyre as a spare.

Recently i did 60k service at the MSM and they rotated the tyre. They mixed old trye with new tread in spite me cautioning them not do so.

I did not realise that and one fine day i felt some noise coming out of the tyre. I doubted that MSM did not do the wheel balancing right. I took my car back to MSM to check and they pointed me bulge in the tyre. Only after that i realised that its a old tyre. I replaced with new tyre and this tyre went back as a spare again.

After a while when i was checking the spare wheel i notice that the tread had come off. Refer the pictures.

This definitely looks like manufacturing fault, i can do much after 4.5 years of service.
Attached Thumbnails
JK Vectra tyres: Weird Failure-jk1.jpg  

JK Vectra tyres: Weird Failure-jk2.jpg  

hirajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:35   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirajan View Post
I have the same story to share.
...i notice that the tread had come off. Refer the pictures.
Good grief! It's the exact same problem - the tread did not apparently bond to the casing. Would you please check and confirm if the tyre is a similar period manufacture? Look for the 4-digit number indicating the week and year - mine's 4009, i.e. 40th week of the year 2009.
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:35   #73
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
SS-Traveller,
The rubber in the tread was, though, starting to disintegrate in places and I had a long trip coming up (Delhi-Kerala-Delhi) so got them changed. I'm running some Malaysian Bridgestones called MY-01. Did the long trip without a single problem on them (close to 10k kilometers now on the new ones) and I love them, even though I was pretty skeptical about them initially.
My b-i-l had MY-01 in his Ikon 1.8D. They were really good with less noise on the highways and good grip. But the bridgestone dealer said these are illegal imports and do not carry warranty.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:38   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
...do not carry warranty.
If you've experienced the trouble of claiming warranty on a tyre in this country once, you'd be happier to pay a few rupees less and do without the warranty for a more reliable tyre.
Old 23rd November 2010, 13:44   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
My b-i-l had MY-01 in his Ikon 1.8D. They were really good with less noise on the highways and good grip. But the bridgestone dealer said these are illegal imports and do not carry warranty.
Yup, the noise levels have reduced a lot and the ride is a lot lot better compared to the Vectras. Even in the wet it seemed to perform a lot better. I'm not entirely sure if they would last for too long, but the evidence has been to the contrary so far, which I can't complain about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
If you've experienced the trouble of claiming warranty on a tyre in this country once, you'd be happier to pay a few rupees less and do without the warranty for a more reliable tyre.
I had paid 14.5 or 15k for a set of 4, which is not too shabby. I have known the dealer for over six years now and I hope that he will, as he said, take care of it for me if something goes wrong.
codelust is offline   Reply With Quote