Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2015, 22:47   #136
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 127
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi Guys. Checked out the car that arrived from the Factory this evening. It does have Apollos on them, but didnt find any marking around whether it was an Acelere or Alanc. I understand all the viewpoints shared above, and appreciate the time taken to explain the pros and cons, and the right questions to ask yourselves before considering an upgrade. For now, i have decided agaisnt an upgrade, simply because - I dont know what I want!

Cheers

Leaving you with an image of the shows...
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tyres.jpg  

bigvishnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 22:55   #137
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 185
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvishnu View Post
Hi Guys. Checked out the car that arrived from the Factory this evening. It does have Apollos on them

For now, i have decided agaisnt an upgrade, simply because - I dont know what I want!
That's the Alnac (says so on the side). Good tyre that; should keep you happy and does justice to the Polo

It's also a good tyre for you to figure out what you want from your next tyre when it's time to change, so I'd say, you're set

Last edited by bosporus : 29th July 2015 at 22:56.
bosporus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 11:57   #138
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,865
Thanked: 2,213 Times
Default Re: VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I have got Goodyear DP-B1's, and i've driven my Polo GT TSI 600 km already.
The tires themselves are not very noisy and handling and grip is quite nice.
The only thing I do notice is that the ride does have a slight hard edge to it. I don't know if it's because of the tires or just the inherent nature of the suspension.
Anyone else got these Goodyears and have a bit to share about them???
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 00:48   #139
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Goa
Posts: 43
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvishnu View Post
I dont know what I want! .
Congrats on the car!!
My TSI came along with the same set of tyres last year. I did find them a bit on the noisier side. I had my Ford fusion at that time, bearing Bridgestone MY 02's( 195/55R15). So managed to swap them before I unfortunately had to give the fusion away!
Anyhow, I had driven the TSI for a 1000 kms, before changing the tyres, and have done about 4k more with the Bridgestones. I would say the Bridgestones haven't been too much of the "noise less" tyres as well!!
I remember the steering feedback to be slighlty on the heavier side just when I had changed them, but the handling has been slightly better.

I've been given to understand through the various post, that 205/55/15 is the perfect upgrade for the polo, as it has the least error of them all. I'm still hunting for a detailed review from someone who has them on!

In the aesthetic sense, my 195's look cool, and am sure she'll look neat with the 205's on!

Wish you a million happy miles on your new ride.
Drive safe!
HR.
humbleroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 15:38   #140
BHPian
 
lalittalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 236
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleroadster View Post
Congrats on the car!!
I've been given to understand through the various post, that 205/55/15 is the perfect upgrade for the polo, as it has the least error of them all. I'm still hunting for a detailed review from someone who has them on!
205/55/15 is a good choice. we have many happy owners of GTs who have them and would not have it any other way. and almost all of them have S drives. i have my eyes on P7s in 205/50/16 size. but that'll happen once i wear out the current set of P3STs and get new alloys in 16".

btw, if u're keen to join a GT TSI whatsapp group, pm me with your phone number
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 16:01   #141
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Goa
Posts: 43
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
i have my eyes on P7s in 205/50/16 size.
Woah!! That'll be a feast on the TSI! Wonder if any other mods should along with them tyres to complement the entire package then!!
Thanks for the update. Will pm you in a bit!

HR
humbleroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 16:26   #142
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 185
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
205/55/15 is a good choice. we have many happy owners of GTs who have them and would not have it any other way. and almost all of them have S drives. i have my eyes on P7s in 205/50/16 size. but that'll happen once i wear out the current set of P3STs and get new alloys in 16".
lalit, have you had a chance to personally compare the S-drives with the P3ST? Do the P3ST's offer a similar level of grip / cornering / braking / feel as the S-drives? Also, do you have any personal experience with the P7? Any thoughts on the P7 vs. the P3ST?

I need to replace my tyres, and am even open to upgrading to 16", and need great feel / grip / cornering / braking, but not as much noise as the Apollo Aceleres. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any relative comparisons which can help me make a choice, and in India, you can't really try a tyre & return if you don't like them, so kind of stuck.

So, would really appreciate if you could expand on your experiences. Thanks!

Last edited by bosporus : 31st July 2015 at 16:32.
bosporus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 16:48   #143
BHPian
 
lalittalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 236
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
lalit, have you had a chance to personally compare the S-drives with the P3ST? Do the P3ST's offer a similar level of grip / cornering / braking / feel as the S-drives? Also, do you have any personal experience with the P7? Any thoughts on the P7 vs. the P3ST?

I need to replace my tyres, and am even open to upgrading to 16", and need great feel / grip / cornering / braking, but not as much noise as the Apollo Aceleres. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any relative comparisons which can help me make a choice, and in India, you can't really try a tyre & return if you don't like them, so kind of stuck.

So, would really appreciate if you could expand on your experiences. Thanks!
sure, here goes. i have P3STs in 195/60/15 which are decent enough for daily drive. they are quite confortable and virtually noiseless. grip is above par and i have compared braking distances of stock alnacs with P3STs and they are definitely better. Never had any complaint with it, but now have a sidewall bulge in of the tyres. i had made a decision based on different parameters earlier, and would do it differently today, and definitely go for 205 in either 15 or 16.

I have driven multiple GTs with s drives 205/55/16, and they offer better grip, though it may not be right to compare 195 and 205 sizes. i did not find too much difference in noise, but tyres were generally new and the one car on which i drove s drives had such a loud exhaust, you could not bother with tyre noise. owner feedback is that they get slightly noisy after 10-15k kms.

Havent experienced P7s on GT yet, but have them on my dad's audi but in a much larger size. so, really not a direct comparison. but the tryes are grippy. and another fellow GT owner in bangalore has them on his own GT (he is a modder and mods cars for a living). So, i would not take his opinion lightly.
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 17:00   #144
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,658
Thanked: 9,029 Times
Default Re: VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Snapdeal is having a lucrative deal for the 15" Michelin P3STs - Rs. 5569 for one whereas the local dealership is quoting Rs. 6200.

VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1.png

Just a bit worried about the month and year of manufacturing - hoping they wouldn't be too old. There's a 7-day return policy with free pickup as well in case things go bad. Will take a call shortly - figuring out how much the local dealer charges for installation.

EDIT: Local dealer gave a quote of Rs. 59xx. Looks like I'll go with him considering they would accept replacements for sidewall damages for a discounted price on the replacement tire which otherwise they wouldn't honor if purchased from Snapdeal.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st July 2015 at 19:52.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 17:01   #145
BHPian
 
lalittalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 236
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleroadster View Post
Woah!! That'll be a feast on the TSI! Wonder if any other mods should along with them tyres to complement the entire package then!!
Thanks for the update. Will pm you in a bit!

HR
HR, my mod list is quite long. trust me i've modded this car to the hilt now. just 2 left now, and one of them is the alloys, other is suspension.
lalittalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 18:14   #146
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 185
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
sure, here goes. i have P3STs in 195/60/15 which are decent enough for daily drive. they are quite confortable and virtually noiseless. grip is above par and i have compared braking distances of stock alnacs with P3STs and they are definitely better. Never had any complaint with it, but now have a sidewall bulge in of the tyres. i had made a decision based on different parameters earlier, and would do it differently today, and definitely go for 205 in either 15 or 16.

I have driven multiple GTs with s drives 205/55/16, and they offer better grip, though it may not be right to compare 195 and 205 sizes. i did not find too much difference in noise, but tyres were generally new and the one car on which i drove s drives had such a loud exhaust, you could not bother with tyre noise. owner feedback is that they get slightly noisy after 10-15k kms.

Havent experienced P7s on GT yet, but have them on my dad's audi but in a much larger size. so, really not a direct comparison. but the tryes are grippy. and another fellow GT owner in bangalore has them on his own GT (he is a modder and mods cars for a living). So, i would not take his opinion lightly.
Thanks for your inputs lalit! Appreciate it

If I could bother you a little more: if you had to choose today, between the S-Drives & P3ST, basis grip & feel, which one would you buy? Do ignore the 195/205 difference, and the potential noise from S-drives in your answer.

I've also heard great things about the Cinturato P7 (you're talking about that one, right, not the normal P7?), and am contemplating those, and the sense one gets from the online reviews is that it's a good mix of the S-drives and the P3ST. And yes, unless one tests on the same car, one doesn't really get a good sense of the tyre.

Any thoughts, basis your driving experience, on staying with 15" or going 16"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
HR, my mod list is quite long. trust me i've modded this car to the hilt now. just 2 left now, and one of them is the alloys, other is suspension.
Which suspension are you considering?

Last edited by bosporus : 31st July 2015 at 18:19.
bosporus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 07:05   #147
BHPian
 
sunilsoft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Mohali
Posts: 186
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I have just bought polo highline TDI came with apollo alnacs.I want to keep stock alloys. Would 195/60/R15 Michelin Primacy 3ST make a good option?
Is there any good option of tyres for size 205/55/R15
sunilsoft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 12:03   #148
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 58
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I have got Goodyear DP-B1's, and i've driven my Polo GT TSI 600 km already.
The tires themselves are not very noisy and handling and grip is quite nice.
The only thing I do notice is that the ride does have a slight hard edge to it. I don't know if it's because of the tires or just the inherent nature of the suspension.
Anyone else got these Goodyears and have a bit to share about them???
Looks like similar things are happening to me although we are about 2000kms apart. My car is also coming with the same Goodyear. I am going to take delivery today, so I need to decide whether I will continue with the stock tyres for 2-3 years (30-40k km) or will replace them right now to get decent buy back value.

Looking for reviews of the Goodyear DP-B1s.
deb_majumdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 18:07   #149
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Goa
Posts: 43
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
I have just bought polo highline TDI came with apollo alnacs.I want to keep stock alloys. Would 195/60/R15 Michelin Primacy 3ST make a good option?
Is there any good option of tyres for size 205/55/R15
Congrats on your car firstly!!
When my car rolled out with the alnacs, the steering was very light. Not that it was too light for my liking but it was light in general!
I swapped my fusion tyres (Bridgestones MY 02) on the polo after the polo ran for about 1000 kms on stock. Have driven around with 195's for about 5k kms now.
The steering was heavier in these tires, but the breaking was better, much better with them. In my earlier post in the same thread, I have quoted to size to be 195/55/15 which was a typo, and apologies for the same. They were 195/60/r15.

This very thread got me over to 1010tires.com and their tire size calculator. Apparently I was driving around with an error of 2%. For me, i wasn't comfortable with the hardness factor the steering was able to return. I'm not saying its the size that was causing this, maybe it were the tires themselves.

Given that 205/55/15's are the perfect up size for the stock alnacs on the polo,I have just (an hour ago) changed over to Yokohama s drives, and the steering is back to being light again. Will comment on the braking and handling after driving them in for a bit more. But I'm sure they'll handle better than the stock alnacs.
Why, they look swell too!!
Hope this helps.

Drive safe.
HR.
Attached Images
 
humbleroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2015, 13:21   #150
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 185
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleroadster View Post
Given that 205/55/15's are the perfect up size for the stock alnacs on the polo,I have just (an hour ago) changed over to Yokohama s drives, and the steering is back to being light again. Will comment on the braking and handling after driving them in for a bit more.
Congratulations on your new tyres - I've been considering them too. If you've managed to put some kms on them, could you comment on their handling, cornering & braking performance.

Some feedback on the steering feel as well please - do they feel quick, precise? Also, does the car feel more planted with them?

Could you please elaborate on 'steering is back to being light'? I ask because this is generally considered a bad thing, and usually correlates to lower grip & reduction in feel.

Any comparisons with the Alancs would be great as well. Thanks!
bosporus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread Screwdriva Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 326 22nd July 2017 18:02
Toyota Etios & Liva : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread nkrishnap Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 60 8th May 2017 09:17
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread carZest Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 607 25th April 2017 19:32
Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread shahmotors Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 637 26th March 2017 12:56
Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread jkdas Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 10 29th August 2016 17:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks