Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 23rd June 2015, 18:57   #301
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailtosid View Post
Did not do much of driving for the past few days and managed only 1k kms after the tyre switch to Falken HT, but my initial impression is the ride is quiet and handles well on straight roads. I do not somehow get the confidence while cornering with these tyres but will confirm after some more driving.
With Higher aspect tyres, the cornering performance will reduce slightly as the tyres have more cushioning and air in them. But with the Yeti's ESP and TCS it should not lose any control though and will still maintain its composure.
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:53   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
With Higher aspect tyres, the cornering performance will reduce slightly as the tyres have more cushioning and air in them. But with the Yeti's ESP and TCS it should not lose any control though and will still maintain its composure.
Will upsizing void warranty of the car?
IndranilGoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:56   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndranilGoswami View Post
Will upsizing void warranty of the car?
Generally they don't object for upto +1 size as my service advisor told me, but in case they are finicky they could void suspension warranty.
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 13:52   #304
Senior - BHPian

So, after 35K kms on my Yoko HT (OEM size), decided to change the tyres. My experience with the yoko geo HT tyres was good except for 10 or more punctures I went through in the past 3 years. Keeping that in mind, I am now contemplating a bit harder compound tyres. Some choices I had in mind (all at the 215/65 aspect):

1. Yokohama Geolanda AT/S (G012) - I had been thinking of this tyre as I read good reviews on Jeep forums and elsewhere. Inspite being a AT, many had expressed that the tyres are noiseless.

2. Michelin HP Tour - I drive my yeti fast and I reckon, with this tyre, the ride and handling is going to even more enjoyable. The only drawback being lesser life span (~25K kms) and higher price, though The Michelin HP Tour 215/65 R16 is available for a bargain price of Rs. 34985 at snapdeal (making it 8700 a piece).

3. Falken Wildpeak HT - Based on the positive feedbacks from few yeti owners on this forum, this seem like a good option.

I see that all these 3 tyres had been a choice for few owners in the past. Would be great if they can share their experiences and recommendation to choose the perfect one. Point to note is that 90% of the time, I drive on smooth Asphalt.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 15:41   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear, don't have any experience of Falken, but among Michelin & Yokohama, would go with Michelin.

Not that Yokohama is bad, just that the Michelin is better. Considering your on-road usage. Life should be more than 25,000 kms.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 16:50   #306
BHPian

I would suggest vredestein ultra cento. This Dutch made tyres are part of apollo tyres and v rated. I've been using the same since 30000 km and there is still 30 percent thread on them. This is an unidirectional tyre which suits your 90-10 % ratio. The 10 percent IMHO is still not high degree of off-roads but soft offroading.
Also, I feel that the sidewalls are not as soft as some of the other tyres but still not as hard as maybe a Bridgestone.

Still good tyres and I have been using 225/55 R16. This time around i will go with wild peak as the forum members seem to support the idea 215/65 R16 not to be a big concern with warranty.
sumzup is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 00:11   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Dear, don't have any experience of Falken, but among Michelin & Yokohama, would go with Michelin.

Not that Yokohama is bad, just that the Michelin is better. Considering your on-road usage. Life should be more than 25,000 kms.
Thank you for your insight. The Michelin latitude seems to be my best bet considering my driving pattern. The best I can bargain is 9K per tyre (of 2015 make).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
I would suggest vredestein ultra cento. This Dutch made tyres are part of apollo tyres and v rated. I've been using the same since 30000 km and there is still 30 percent thread on them. This is an unidirectional tyre which suits your 90-10 % ratio. The 10 percent IMHO is still not high degree of off-roads but soft offroading.
Also, I feel that the sidewalls are not as soft as some of the other tyres but still not as hard as maybe a Bridgestone.

Still good tyres and I have been using 225/55 R16. This time around i will go with wild peak as the forum members seem to support the idea 215/65 R16 not to be a big concern with warranty.
I am more inclined towards a proper tyre designed for Crossover/SUV. And with 225/55, there is a 5 mm loss in GC too. 225/60 is ideal for me with 6 mm GC gain, but there is no good options in HT/AT pattern.

Last edited by iTNerd : 3rd July 2015 at 00:13.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 08:15   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Thank you for your insight. The Michelin latitude seems to be my best bet considering my driving pattern. The best I can bargain is 9K per tyre (of 2015 make).

I am more inclined towards a proper tyre designed for Crossover/SUV. And with 225/55, there is a 5 mm loss in GC too. 225/60 is ideal for me with 6 mm GC gain, but there is no good options in HT/AT pattern.
For 90:10 onroad: offroad use go for the Michelins eyes closed as they are very comfortable and noiseless for city use. If your ratio were 80:20 the Falkens wildpeak HT would be good as they are stiffer and have a 600 AB Utqg. If your ratio were 60:40 then the Yoko AT would make sense. With Yokos the first 10000 km are silent but after that the noise levels increase quite a lot. Also even at initial stage there is a difference of 2 Db from manufacturer specs in road noise in Yoko vs Michelins (Michelins are quieter).

Last edited by Behemoth : 3rd July 2015 at 08:18.
Behemoth is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 09:14   #309
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Quick info!

I believe the Audi Q3 comes with 215/65/16 Tyres + alloy wheel combo. The Yeti tyre size is 215/60/16.
It is also, like the Yeti, based on the Golf platform and uses pretty much similar components all over, including the Haldex 4WD system etc.
Hence, should it not be possible to upgrade the Yeti's Tyres also to the same size as the Q3?
Possibly with the Q3's debut, we may get some more tyre options.
But please share what is the ideal Tyre size upgrade/ upsize for the Yeti which will also take care of our horrible road conditions and some minor bits of off road work.
Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
SB
Post Q3's 2015 facelift,

Q3 4x4 stock tyres : 235/55 R17
Yeti 4x4 stock tyres : 215/60 R16

Q3 FWD stock tyres : 215/65 R16
Yeti 4x2 stock tyres : 215/60 R16

OT: Somehow after going through multiple threads, shankar.balan's tag has become synonymous with Yeti. Is it only me ? I mean this in a good way for all his wonderful contributions.
super.cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:58   #310
Senior - BHPian

I went with the Michelin Latitude Tour HP finally. Got them today. The car appears to be riding high with the 215/65 aspect (~ 6 mm gain in GC) and the huge wheel wells has become lesser. First driving impression is, the car has become even more nimbler and eager to slide through gaps and corners without losing any traction. I can comfortably say the sidewalls are much stiffer than the yoko geo HT I had earlier i.e., the michelin don't bulge much compared to the Yoko. 102 load rating (850 kg per wheel), which is significantly higher than 96 of the Yoko HT (710 kg). Speed rating H - 210 kmph.

oh ya, hardly any noise from the wheels! truly the Yeti has been transformed with the new set of shoes. Hope the experience will only be sweeter with the switch from a good Yoko to a better Michelin. Many thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences.

As for the 3.5% error margin with the new tyre aspect, is there a way to re-program the car to reflect the correct reading on the odo?
iTNerd is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 13:19   #311
BHPian

Quote:

As for the 3.5% error margin with the new tyre aspect, is there a way to re-program the car to reflect the correct reading on the odo?
I hope you have VCDS cable, please follow this to update/correct the reading. best would be check which of the car configuration matches with the currently installed tyre and use that

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/sp...ction-mk5-mk6/

Use this at your own risk! why I think this would work, because there is a winter tyre option in the MFD that does this while you install winter tyre, which has a different profile

-Pramod

PS: The impulse change will have some effect on the engine RPM too, the RPM and speed would be required for ECU to maintain the speed in cruise control mode, best would be to figure out the options with trial and error via choosing options and seeing which one is "near" to actual speed( would need GPS and realtime tracking with VCDS). If this is done will benefit all the Yeti user with know configuration!

Last edited by pramods : 3rd July 2015 at 13:32. Reason: added waring for RPM changes
pramods is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 09:52   #312

Quote:
I went with the Michelin Latitude Tour HP finally. Got them today. The car appears to be riding high with the 215/65 aspect (~ 6 mm gain in GC) and the huge wheel wells has become lesser. First driving impression is, the car has become even more nimbler and eager to slide through gaps and corners without losing any traction. I can comfortably say the sidewalls are much stiffer than the yoko geo HT I had earlier i.e., the michelin don't bulge much compared to the Yoko. 102 load rating (850 kg per wheel), which is significantly higher than 96 of the Yoko HT (710 kg). Speed rating H - 210 kmph.

oh ya, hardly any noise from the wheels! truly the Yeti has been transformed with the new set of shoes. Hope the experience will only be sweeter with the switch from a good Yoko to a better Michelin. Many thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences.

Would be great if you can let us know about your experience with this particular tyre upsize. I've been reading every where about options and it is getting difficult to reach a conclusion.
Twice a year I'm up on the hills with some serious off-roading and the rest of the time it's the Delhi NCR and Wildlife reserves. A particularly fast driver here.
I've slit open the sidewall of my stock Goodyear and since been on the look out for some decent tyres.
Some help would be greatly appreciated !
RasperTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 10:23   #313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasperTee View Post
Would be great if you can let us know about your experience with this particular tyre upsize. I've been reading every where about options and it is getting difficult to reach a conclusion.
Twice a year I'm up on the hills with some serious off-roading and the rest of the time it's the Delhi NCR and Wildlife reserves. A particularly fast driver here.
I've slit open the sidewall of my stock Goodyear and since been on the look out for some decent tyres.
Get the 215/65 Tour HPs. They will be perfect for your usage. And the tyres are tough, trust me! I've had them on my car for 35k kms, and I think they'll last another 5k kms at least. The added clearance will help too.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 11:19   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasperTee View Post
I had only driven around 1000 kms with the Michelin HT tour. So far, no issues with the upsize and sidewalls or puncture. Grip is excellent, noise is very less. And for my usage, which is on smooth asphalt (95% of the time), it is the ideal tyre. It is robust enough for abuse on occasional offroad, rocks etc. I am happy so far. I would recommend it, though its pricey than others, and most owners reported the life span to be around 25K to 30K kms which is lesser than other brands.
iTNerd is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 12:03   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Get the 215/65 Tour HPs. They will be perfect for your usage. And the tyres are tough, trust me! I've had them on my car for 35k kms, and I think they'll last another 5k kms at least. The added clearance will help too.
I hit the tyre bolt of parked rickshaw and this is what I was left with. No damage to that Rickshaw that was parked on the wrong side of the road on a curve !

The tyres you mentioned still have soft sidewalls I believe..

Like I said I am a relatively fast driver and have questions regarding safety now.. would this upsize affect

1. Turning radius
2. High Speed Handling (Grip + Cornering )
3. Braking

The increase in GC would be just great though
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-fullsizerender-4.jpg  

RasperTee is offline   Reply With Quote