Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2012, 07:37   #61
BHPian
 
Sunilrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 764
Thanked: 534 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Good to see Skoda is trying, but hey are not yet there, hope your Yeti comes out of service center faster and better.
I went ahead and changed my Goodyear tyres, no Yoko or Mich available in 215/60/16 in one of the shop they had 2 tyres and it din't make sense, went ahead with Bridgestone with same size and profile, at least today lots of noises that I used to hear have suddenly vanished , hope it continues this way, the new tyres costed Rs 8100 each looks worth to me.

-Pramod
Too all Yeti Owners from a prospective yeti owner:

These screenshots would give an idea as to which tyres are available for the Yeti In India. pricing too seems reasonable. if they can be ordered online and have them delivered to your door step, all we have to do is find a good Tyre fitment Centre and fit these. My Inclination would be to the contipremium Tyres which have a 99V XL rating
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-yeti1.jpg  

Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-yeti2.jpg  

Sunilrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 08:00   #62
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,869
Thanked: 4,927 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM21
Sorry about the crash, good to be in a Skoda anyday.

I have just booked the 4x4 elegance after owning the Laura for 6 yrs (almost) 80K....still love it.

Can you suggest best tyres suited for Yeti? Thanks
Hey. Good show!
Do ref to what sunil rj has posted on tyres. Behemoth has done a lot of research on tyres. Pm him and he will help you.
I shall also change the OEM tyres on my yeti but only after atleast 2 years and 25000 kms by which time I am sure there will be many more option than there are now.
Cheers!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 08:18   #63
BHPian
 
Sunilrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 764
Thanked: 534 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)

i have already arranged with my tyre dealer to source 4 contipremium tyres. planning to take the plunge for the yeti within the next 15 days. will change the tyres on delivery like i had done on my linea when i junked the stock goodyears for Michelin Primacy LC and had to pay a differential of just 4K
Sunilrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 23:34   #64
VBN
BHPian
 
VBN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 60
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods
I went ahead and changed my Goodyear tyres, no Yoko or Mich available in 215/60/16 in one of the shop they had 2 tyres and it din't make sense, went ahead with Bridgestone with same size and profile, at least today lots of noises that I used to hear have suddenly vanished , hope it continues this way, the new tyres costed Rs 8100 each looks worth to me.

-Pramod
Pramod,

Did you change the spare tyre too? Like Behemoth. Does it fit in the boot?
VBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 00:29   #65
BHPian
 
pramods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 841
Thanked: 336 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBN

Pramod,

Did you change the spare tyre too? Like Behemoth. Does it fit in the boot?
Yes, I did change the spare tire, it does fit into the space but raises the floor height by an inch, worth it instead of space saver this is going to be a full size spare with steel wheel instead of allow!

-Pramod
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 08:54   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,056
Thanked: 441 Times
Default re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Hi, I have booked a yeti and would like to swap the tires during delivery itself. How are AT tyres on tarmacs in terms of noise and comfort? For 60% city and 40% highways/bad roads/offroad usage, is AT recommended? or would a HP tyre be the ideal way to go?

So, I have 3 possible size:
1. 225/55/16 (-1.49% difference, -5mm in GC)
2. 215/60/16 (OEM)
3. 225/60/16 (1.82% difference, +6mm in GC)

For me, 225/60 seems to be the perfect fit. And the 6mm increase in height can be a boon. But I am unable to see any availability of HP tyres in 225/60 size. I see that some yeti owners have switched to 225/55 (pardon don't recollect the name). Just wanted to know the feedback on the handling, and especially road noise and comfort.

In changemytyre.com, I can see 4 types of tyres of 225/60/16, all 98 load index and V/W speed rating. (Width:225 | Profile:60 | Rim Size:16).

Apollo ACELERE MAXX - 8635/-
Continental PREMIUM CONTACT 2 - 10,179/-
Goodyear EXCELLENCE - 8738/-
Yokohama ES501 - 9936/-

Has anyone upgraded to one of these tyres? Which one of these would be the best fit?

Last edited by iTNerd : 18th June 2012 at 08:59.
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 09:29   #67
BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 901
Thanked: 1,019 Times
Default re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Hi, I have booked a yeti and would like to swap the tires during delivery itself. How are AT tyres on tarmacs in terms of noise and comfort? For 60% city and 40% highways/bad roads/offroad usage, is AT recommended? or would a HP tyre be the ideal way to go?

So, I have 3 possible size:
1. 225/55/16 (-1.49% difference, -5mm in GC)
2. 215/60/16 (OEM)
3. 225/60/16 (1.82% difference, +6mm in GC)

For me, 225/60 seems to be the perfect fit. And the 6mm increase in height can be a boon. But I am unable to see any availability of HP tyres in 225/60 size. I see that some yeti owners have switched to 225/55 (pardon don't recollect the name). Just wanted to know the feedback on the handling, and especially road noise and comfort.

In changemytyre.com, I can see 4 types of tyres of 225/60/16, all 98 load index and V/W speed rating. (Width:225 | Profile:60 | Rim Size:16).

Apollo ACELERE MAXX - 8635/-
Continental PREMIUM CONTACT 2 - 10,179/-
Goodyear EXCELLENCE - 8738/-
Yokohama ES501 - 9936/-

Has anyone upgraded to one of these tyres? Which one of these would be the best fit?
Hi ITnerd,

If possible, try to stick to the OEM tyre size, as it will avoid any future problems for warranty on suspension. Also, the Yeti is designed and tested with 215/60 R 16 tyres for India and any changes to a larger tyre may adversely affect the ride quality.
I had also gone through this entire dilemma when I was getting my Yeti tyres changed. I finally went with Yoko C-Drives in the 215/60 R16 99V through Changemytyre.com - I had gotten these fitted in May 2012, after having covered around 23K Kms on the OEM Goodyears. You can read more about my experiences with the tyres on:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2790665 (Battle of the X-Breeds : SKoda Yeti Vs Mahindra XUV5OO)

You can get these tyres in the selection list when you put the size as 215/60 R16 on CMT (but somehow you don't get them when you choose Yeti as the car)
Width:215 | Profile:60 | Rim Size:16

These are very good tyres, and made in Japan. They are not really for Offroading, but will meet the requirements on 90% Yeti buyers who only use their Yeti rarely for offroad trips (like most of us city dwellers)
The other option you should consider is the Continental CPC2 in the stock size.

Both the Yoko and the CPC2 are 99V rated as compared to the 95H rating of the Goodyears, and they can carry 775kg load per tyre instead of the 690 of the Goodyears. Also the V rating means a top speed of 240 Kmph vs 210 kmph for the Goodyears.

Out of these tyres which you asked:
Apollo ACELERE MAXX - Will be really hard, but good. If you plan really rough usage, you should consider these.
Continental PREMIUM CONTACT 2 - Very good highway tyres, but sidewalls are a little soft.
Goodyear EXCELLENCE - Pathetic OEM tyres - avoid completely (I have run my yeti 23K Kms on these)
Yokohama ES501 - The Db series is very quiet, but very soft and not at all suitable for any rough use.
Michelin Primacy - Again very quiet, but very soft and not at all suitable for any rough use.
Yokohama C-Drives - a good balance of quiet ride and strong tyres, suitable for moderate rough use. Good in wet conditions. These are also "Reinforced" marked tyres, meaning they have stronger sidewalls and a harder rubber compound and can carry more load.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 18th June 2012 at 09:49.
Behemoth is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 13:19   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,056
Thanked: 441 Times
Default re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Thank you Behemoth and the link to your thread! I read in some other threads that with time, C drives becomes noiser. The CPC2 seems to be 1K costlier. I spoke to the dealer sometime ago, if upsizing to 225/60 would be a problem, and got advise not to do so.

I see the space saver being raise an half an inch with the C drives. Are the stock space saver not in 215/60 size?

Anyway, how much can I expect to get from the stock OEM goodyear tyres, when swapping with the C drives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi ITnerd,
I had also gone through this entire dilemma when I was getting my Yeti tyres changed. I finally went with Yoko C-Drives in the 215/60 R16 99V through Changemytyre.com - I had gotten these fitted in May 2012, after having covered around 23K Kms on the OEM Goodyears. You can read more about my experiences with the tyres on:

Both the Yoko and the CPC2 are 99V rated as compared to the 95H rating of the Goodyears, and they can carry 775kg load per tyre instead of the 690 of the Goodyears. Also the V rating means a top speed of 240 Kmph vs 210 kmph for the Goodyears.
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 13:46   #69
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,869
Thanked: 4,927 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd
Thank you Behemoth and the link to your thread! I read in some other threads that with time, C drives becomes noiser. The CPC2 seems to be 1K costlier. I spoke to the dealer sometime ago, if upsizing to 225/60 would be a problem, and got advise not to do so.

I see the space saver being raise an half an inch with the C drives. Are the stock space saver not in 215/60 size?

Anyway, how much can I expect to get from the stock OEM goodyear tyres, when swapping with the C drives?
Space saver tyre is in 195 size.
One cannot drive on it at speeds higher than 80kmph max.

Typically it is not worth upsizing on account of warranty but it is worth changing to a different set of tyres in stock OEM size.
Ref the price you will get for your OEM's Behemoth or Pramods will be able to advise you better.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 14:40   #70
BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 901
Thanked: 1,019 Times
Default re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

For the Stock Goodyear tyres, which cost usually around 8000 when new, you should be able to get a trade in value of around 5000-5500 depending on the dealer where you get this swap done. The tyre changeover to the CPC2 should not cost you more than 12-16K in all. Go for the change as soon as your Yeti leaves the Showroom, as it will help maximise their trade in value.

The space saver tyre is 195/60 R16, and because it is almost 2.0% smaller in OD, it is speed limited to 80 Kmph in the Yeti. I swapped the space saver to a full size (one of the earlier Goodyears) so I don't have to worry about the speed restriction. It does rise up around 20mm over the earlier tyre and lifts the cover up slightly (You can see it in the pics on my thread).

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 18th June 2012 at 14:45.
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 12:31   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,056
Thanked: 441 Times
Default re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

I couldn't find any C drive AC01 215/60/15 with 4-5 tyre dealers I interacted today. One of them is saying its 2-3 years old tyres and no longer available. But on CMT.com, it is showing as in stock. If I buy it from CMT.com, how do I dipose off the OE tyres? no dealer is ready to buy back without purchasing the new tyres from them.

Any other recommendation? Conti CPC2? But it got mediocre reviews on the web, and is expensive too.
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 13:17   #72
BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 901
Thanked: 1,019 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd
I couldn't find any C drive AC01 215/60/15 with 4-5 tyre dealers I interacted today. One of them is saying its 2-3 years old tyres and no longer available. But on CMT.com, it is showing as in stock. If I buy it from CMT.com, how do I dipose off the OE tyres? no dealer is ready to buy back without purchasing the new tyres from them.

Any other recommendation? Conti CPC2? But it got mediocre reviews on the web, and is expensive too.
You can try with changemytyres and they can arrange the swap for you too. I got my new continental spare tyre swapped through them. You can find the contact number on their website.
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 17:07   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,056
Thanked: 441 Times
Default re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
You can try with changemytyres and they can arrange the swap for you too. I got my new continental spare tyre swapped through them. You can find the contact number on their website.
I called them up, but the answer was negative, saying 'its against their company's policy'. So, will have to swap from the local tyres dealer only. BTW, one dealer offered me 5500 bucks buyback for the OEM goodyear tyres. Are these any good?
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 17:56   #74
BHPian
 
abbey4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 436
Thanked: 100 Times
Default re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Any suggestion on AT/HT tyres for yeti. I am also thinking of swapping my new tyres once i get the delivery.
abbey4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 18:26   #75
BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 901
Thanked: 1,019 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u
Any suggestion on AT/HT tyres for yeti. I am also thinking of swapping my new tyres once i get the delivery.
AT/ HT tyres in all brands in India only start from the 215/65 R 16 size which is 3.25% bigger than the Yeti stock size and may create problems. There were quite a lot of discussions on this in the earlier pages of this thread. I would recommend staying with the stock size and if you want tough tyres you can go with bridgestone ER370 but these are just ok in grip. You can also consider the Apollo acelere Max in 225/60 R 16 which is within acceptable variation limits and dealers tend to overlook this + 1 upsize.
Regards
Behemoth
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread shahmotors Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 636 26th March 2017 10:31
Toyota Etios & Liva : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread nkrishnap Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 55 22nd March 2017 12:27
Skoda Rapid : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread kryptonite Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 129 4th March 2017 13:41
Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread jkdas Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 10 29th August 2016 17:08
Skoda Laura : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread deepakvrao Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 311 30th July 2016 17:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks