Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 12th July 2012, 13:57   #106
BHPian

Default re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

I'll defintely agree with you Behmoth - on Primacy LC, which i had in my previous two cars. But unfortunately its not available in stock size. But it is available in 225/55/R16
contessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 11:15   #107
BHPian

My friend is looking for Yokohama - C drive - 215/60/16 99V for his YETI in Banagalore, but stock is not available with none of the dealers. Contact of a dealer in Bangalore who has stock will be great help
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 06:29   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contessa View Post
I'll defintely agree with you Behmoth - on Primacy LC, which i had in my previous two cars. But unfortunately its not available in stock size. But it is available in 225/55/R16
Primacy LC is available in stock size. 215/60/16. my friend the tyre dealer has it in stock here in Mangalore.

Also in stock is Bridgestone Turanza ER 370
Sunilrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 09:52   #109
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Are the Bridgestone Turanza GR90 (225-60-R16) a good tyre upgrade? I am slightly upsizing. The fuel economy would drop, but by how much?
autoskooll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 13:02   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Just ordered 5 pieces of geo 051, for fitting tomorrow. I am getting a buyback of 5500 for the stock tyres.
Hi itnerd, am based out of Mumbai and looking for Yokos for my yeti. The only options available after lot of check are the 215/65/16 yoko A/T S G 012 (98H). Ad it costs some obscene 9.4k each. Can you tell me where could I source the ones you picked from? Can you share the contacts pls.

Also guys, is the ATS G 012 better than the HT G051 for the yeti? I do a lot of travel (33k km in 15 months) and a fair bit of offroading. Is it worth opting for that even thought it is a 215/65/16?
Sachin Bhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 13:56   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Just ordered 5 pieces of geo 051, for fitting tomorrow. I am getting a buyback of 5500 for the stock tyres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I finally took the plunge of changing my Yeti's Tyres with Yokohama C-Drive 215/60 R16 99V tyres. I was able to get them through www.changemytyre.com and got a good price of 8700 per tyre. These tyres are extremely hard to get these days and in this size the availability is a big problem! But I can tell you that it was well worth it. What I had earlier used to think was Wind noise at 100 Km/hr, was actually tyre noise with the pathetic Goodyears. I put up with the Goodyears for more than 23K Kms, before giving in to the temptation to change them!

The noise is gone completely now and the ride has also improved drastically. There is no bubbly ride feeling and also no tramlining - both of which had started happening very frequently with the Goodyears.
One more point which I noticed when getting the tyres changed was the Goodyears (in current condition) needed almost 150gm of balancing weights in different places to be balance (even those which had never been punctured!) while the Yoko's did'nt need more than 40gm in any tyre - shows the consistency of manufacture and the quality of the tyres (the Yokos were made in Japan) and the Goodyears were made in Malaysia.

I had also been evaluating on whether to put in larger 215/65 R16 tyres, but my apprehensions finally made me go for the OE size only:
1) Warranty would be affected if I put in larger tyres
2) Ride quality may also suffer and the body roll would increase and there was no way of predicting how much !
3) The larger tyre 215/65 R16 just would not fit in the spare wheel well (actually checked). Even the 215/60R16 tyre fits with great difficulty. I have changed the smaller space saver 195/60 R16 tyre to the full size as I did not want any speed limitations even with the spare tyre (which was speed restricted to 80 km/hr with the space saver tyre).
4) Since my Yeti will be used 95% in the city and on highways, I went with a road tyre only.

However, that said, the C-drives are good - they have a UTQG of 300 A A and the rating for the tyre is 99V - which means that the load they can carry per tyre is 775 Kg instead of the 690 Kg which the 95H Goodyears were. The V rating also means a higher speed rating of 240 Km/hr vs the 210 km/hr of the Goodyears.
The tyres are also constructed well and give good ride comfort. They are also very silent and don't make any din as compared to the Goodyears.

The option which I was also considering was the Michelin Primacy LC, but these are very soft tyres and for the Yeti, would not have been ideal.

Will share more on the experiences as I "Burn the rubber" and the tyres set in after the initial 500km break in.
PS: Appeal to all Yeti Buyers: Change the tyres as soon as possible so that you get a good trade in value - the Stock Goodyears are very very bad and you will know the difference only after you change!

Regards,
Behemoth
Hi behemoth, was this the yoko A358? Can you please spell the complete code number of the tyre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
My Couz having Yeti driven 18k have called for Yokohama Geolander A/T-s tyres in 215/60/16, plans to take the car to much tougher terrain once these tyres are on. Few months back of the Goodyear tyres developed a bubble on regular roads which made him think twice before doing some offroad. There are plans to take it through Leh-Ladakh stretch with Yoko A/Ts tyres.
Were you able to source this, invincible? If yes, contacts please.
Sachin Bhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 09:44   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin Bhatt View Post
Hi behemoth, was this the yoko A358? Can you please spell the complete code number of the tyre?

Were you able to source this, invincible? If yes, contacts please.
Hi Sachin,

I had gotten the AC01 from Yokohama, which is the C-Drive 1 type of tyres. These were the last few tyres available in this size 215/60 R16, which I had got from Changemytyre.com
So far I have covered around 10K kms on these tyres and they are running fine. They have become a little noisier than earlier, but still are much quieter than the original Goodyear tyres.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 10:38   #113

Good day everybody! I am from Madras (that should tell you something about me, I do not like this new name, Chennai :-)) and I own a Yeti Elegance: one of the first in this city. I have been following this forum with great interest, but silently as my name suggests. I have been very impressed by the knowledge of many of you. I love my Yeti and have raked up about 28k in the past two years.....most of it on the highway and some on forest roads. Now is the time to change my tyres and I decided to break my silence. I just got off the phone with a dealer, who said he owns a Yeti, and he firmly said that the only tyre I should go in for is the OE Goodyear Excellence. He says that all other car tyres would develop side wall problems. This has been the case with at least three other dealers. What options do you suggest for me? I do mostly good highways from Madras to about Coimbatore, after that hills and often poor quality forest "roads" though I would not claim to do serious off-roading. I want tyres that would last and meet the above criteria. I am a nature lover and do 6-12 forest trips a year. On the highway I cruise around 120. The fastest indicated speed I have done, for a very, very brief stretch was 170. I would be grateful for your suggestions and advice.
P.S. And yes, there is an intent to drive to Leh in 2013.
Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 17:08   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
Good day everybody! I am from Madras (that should tell you something about me, I do not like this new name, Chennai :-)) and I own a Yeti Elegance: one of the first in this city. I have been following this forum with great interest, but silently as my name suggests. I have been very impressed by the knowledge of many of you. I love my Yeti and have raked up about 28k in the past two years.....most of it on the highway and some on forest roads. Now is the time to change my tyres and I decided to break my silence. . I would be grateful for your suggestions and advice.
P.S. And yes, there is an intent to drive to Leh in 2013.
The OEM Tyres! much has been spoken about them on Indian car forums, but during my research on the web, found the website (www.tyrereviews.co.uk) which has given the Following ratings for the Tyres which are marginally better than the reviews of the other tyres that i had in mind:
Dry Grip - 77%
Wet Grip - 68%
Road Feedback - 69%
Progressiveness - 68%
Wear - 69%
Comfort - 73%
Buy again - 57%

I would stick to Goodyear!
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 18:02   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

An interesting video here by Autocar UK - Jan 2013, comparing the performance of two identical spec Skoda Yetis powered by the 110BHP Diesel engine. However, one Yeti is in FWD 2WD with Winter Tread Tyres and the other is in 4WD with Standard 'stock' road going tyres.

This will serve as an eye opener to many on the forum and will certainly serve to clarify matters to some extent for anyone considering buying a Yeti.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/winter-tyres-vs-4x4
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 11:37   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of the other ideal tyres for the Yeti (apart from the ones already discussed) is the Michelin Latitude Tour HP in stock size - This will be ideal for the Yeti. I have seen it in 215/65 R 16 size
My Michelins are showing signs of wear at 12k kms. Tyres on my vehicles have however generally worn out much faster than those on other vehicles, primarily because of a combination of high speed driving on Tarmac and higher than normal trail use.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 12:58   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid

My Michelins are showing signs of wear at 12k kms. Tyres on my vehicles have however generally worn out much faster than those on other vehicles, primarily because of a combination of high speed driving on Tarmac and higher than normal trail use.
How much wear have they undergone - maybe you can measure the tread depth. They would have started with 10/11 mm tread depth and tread depth of 4 mm is considered as when you should change the tyres. Michelins are known to be soft but they still should last around 35k kms.
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 16:37   #118
BHPian

Just a quick update on my Yeti Yokohama C-Drive tyres. So far covered around 16K Kms on them and still holding good. Got them rotated recently and front tyres were wearing slightly faster than rear (which is normal, since when they turn, there is differential speed between the inside and the outside of the tyre). At this rate they should last around 40K Kms.
So far I have had only 1 puncture so far in any of the tyres, which was due to a very large Screw entering the tyre.

Comparatively, on my Laura, on which I have Michelin Primacy LC, I have got 3 punctures in just 6,500 Kms! Which clearly shows that Michelins are quite soft and definitely prone to a lot more punctures. There was a discussion on this same thread on whether to put Michelin Primacy LC on the Yeti to which I would confidently say no to now! The Primacy LCs are too soft and given the kind of rough use a Yeti would go through, they just would not last.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 16:58   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much wear have they undergone - maybe you can measure the tread depth.
Front tyres down to about 6-7 mm at 15k kms. Swapped rear tyres (still looking new-ish) to front at first service. Lets see if it helps.

I dont expect them to last until 35k - not with my kind of driving (mostly flat-out). I'll be happy if they run past 25k.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 13:04   #120

Quote:
Just a quick update on my Yeti Yokohama C-Drive tyres. So far covered around 16K Kms on them and still holding good. Got them rotated recently and front tyres were wearing slightly faster than rear (which is normal, since when they turn, there is differential speed between the inside and the outside of the tyre). At this rate they should last around 40K Kms.
So far I have had only 1 puncture so far in any of the tyres, which was due to a very large Screw entering the tyre.

Comparatively, on my Laura, on which I have Michelin Primacy LC, I have got 3 punctures in just 6,500 Kms! Which clearly shows that Michelins are quite soft and definitely prone to a lot more punctures. There was a discussion on this same thread on whether to put Michelin Primacy LC on the Yeti to which I would confidently say no to now! The Primacy LCs are too soft and given the kind of rough use a Yeti would go through, they just would not last.
I am using Michelin Primacy LC on my Yeti. Very happy with them. I changed them 2 at a time. The first two have already done 25k and should do about 15K more. No punctures on any till date. Ride much softer than the original GoodYear Excellence. All in all, very happy with my decision.

btw I think front tyres wear out faster b'coz they handle more of both accelaration and braking force. The turning differential distance should not matter, since the inner front tyre actually runs less than any other while turning. But it all evens out since we turn both ways.
Sumain is offline   Reply With Quote