Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 8th May 2013, 13:05   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Hi Everyone!

One of the tire on the Yeti has gone bust. The Car hasn't even done 15,000 kms as yet.

Now ideally one would think of replacing all the 4 tires.

My question is, if we wish to replace just one tire, should we get the stock tire (costing approx Rs. 7,000)

In case we need to order a set of 4, what should be it?

The intended use is a mix of both. On very good roads, as well as terrible road & construction sites.

The chauffeur deployed maintains very good average speed, hence am thinking of a strong sidewall tire. Road noise & comfort be damned.

Thanks
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 16:02   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi Everyone!

One of the tire on the Yeti has gone bust.

The chauffeur deployed maintains very good average speed, hence am thinking of a strong sidewall tire. Road noise & comfort be damned.

Thanks
Hi Sheel. I have suffered from the same problem and I have done just 7000 Kms. The tyre dealer I know is dead against Goodyear tyres. In fact what he has to say is absolutely scandalous . He says Goodyear provides rusted reinforcement and that he proved it before a GM of Goodyear upon which the company bore the cost of the new tyre.

I would certainly suggest a different company.
Carcrazy60 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 17:57   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone!

One of the tire on the Yeti has gone bust. The Car hasn't even done 15,000 kms as yet.

Now ideally one would think of replacing all the 4 tires.

My question is, if we wish to replace just one tire, should we get the stock tire (costing approx Rs. 7,000)

In case we need to order a set of 4, what should be it?

The intended use is a mix of both. On very good roads, as well as terrible road & construction sites.

Thanks
You can also try Yokohama Geolander HT or AT. Last I checked, AT was not available at the Yeti's stock size, so I went with HT. And I am really happy with them. I have done around 11K kms in the last 10 months, and I have not had any puncture or sidewall problem with them. Abbey4u also switched to the same HT tyres at the same time, and he often traveled on long trips and has more mileage than my car. I guess he is happy with the performance of the tyres too.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 18:56   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
You can also try Yokohama Geolander HT or AT. Last I checked, AT was not available at the Yeti's stock size, so I went with HT. And I am really happy with them. I have done around 11K kms in the last 10 months, and I have not had any puncture or sidewall problem with them. Abbey4u also switched to the same HT tyres at the same time, and he often traveled on long trips and has more mileage than my car. I guess he is happy with the performance of the tyres too.
Yes, I am pretty happy with those tyres. I have covered 27k till date and looking at the tyre condition it should last atleast 40k

Last edited by abbey4u : 8th May 2013 at 18:58.
abbey4u is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 18:59   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post

Yes, I am pretty happy with those tyres. I have covered 27k till date and looking at the tyre condition it should last atleast 45k
Which size are those tyres? I have been unable to find them in the stock size. Thanks in advance.
Carcrazy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 19:05   #126
Senior - BHPian

I drove another Yeti with the Goodyear tyres and I agree it would be a good idea to move away. The Michelins on my Yeti feel so much better, but of course they are not stock size and people have misgivings about warranty with the size I have on mine. Try any other brand.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 20:38   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post

Hi Sheel. I have suffered from the same problem and I have done just 7000 Kms. The tyre dealer I know is dead against Goodyear tyres. In fact what he has to say is absolutely scandalous . He says Goodyear provides rusted reinforcement and that he proved it before a GM of Goodyear upon which the company bore the cost of the new tyre.

I would certainly suggest a different company.
What exactly is 'Rusted Reinforcement' please?
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 21:11   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Radial tyres have an internal structure of steel wire mesh over which the rubber is laid to create the tyres. In this case it seems the wire mesh used was already rusted. This seriously impacts the life of the tyre and when the steel wire breaks at any point, it creates a bubble in the tyre. Failure of the tyre mesh in multiple wires simultaneously causes a tyre burst, typically at high speeds, which can be catastrophic.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 17:51   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
You can also try Yokohama Geolander HT or AT. Last I checked, AT was not available at the Yeti's stock size, so I went with HT.
I thought iTNerd & abbey4u were using Michelins. I was somehow apprehensive of Yokos because of the fear of soft side walls, but because you guys are using it, may be I will scour for it.

What is the model no.? Tire size is the same? Approx cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Yes, I am pretty happy with those tyres. I have covered 27k till date and looking at the tyre condition it should last atleast 40k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I drove another Yeti with the Goodyear tyres and I agree it would be a good idea to move away. The Michelins on my Yeti feel so much better, but of course they are not stock size and people have misgivings about warranty with the size I have on mine. Try any other brand.
Steer, you are using Latitudes? Drove any Yeti with Yokos? How would rate both?

Quote:
How are your tires doing Shankar? You would be changing them to...?

Seems Mahindra Bolero uses the same spec tires, while I can't use those on the Yeti, am sure Bolero can use these as spare tires & I just might fetch good resale

Please keep me posted guys, we think we might change the entire set :-)
Old 11th May 2013, 18:31   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

How are your tires doing Shankar? You would be changing them to...?

Seems Mahindra Bolero uses the same spec tires, while I can't use those on the Yeti, am sure Bolero can use these as spare tires & I just might fetch good resale

Please keep me posted guys, we think we might change the entire set :-)
Mate.
I m not yet ready for a tyre upgrade. Another one year at least given my very low running average.
When I do upgrade I probably will go for Yokos if I can get them. But I will go with HT's as these are more than sufficient for my general usage.

The Bolero uses 215 -75 -15 size. The Yeti's tyres will not work on a Bolero as it is way too heavy a vehicle. The Yeti's tyres are in the wrong size and are too soft for the typical rough use that Bolero owners put their vehicles through.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 18:25   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Yokohama is able to source 215/70 R16 for us. Would the aspect ration of 70 be a bother?
Old 18th May 2013, 19:42   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Yokohama is able to source 215/70 R16 for us. Would the aspect ration of 70 be a bother?
Yes, 215/70 R16 is too big. Biggest which I know will work with the Yeti is 215/65 R16.
Some options which CMT is showing are MRF Wanderers and Michelin Latitude Tour HP.

Even the Wanderers are supposed to be quite good and are the OE tyres in this size on the Duster and also contribute to the good ride on the Duster. They are also cheap at 7800 a tyre. So if you are considering rough use, you can opt for these.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 08:48   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes, 215/70 R16 is too big. Biggest which I know will work with the Yeti is 215/65 R16.
Some options which CMT is showing are MRF Wanderers and Michelin Latitude Tour HP.

Even the Wanderers are supposed to be quite good and are the OE tyres in this size on the Duster and also contribute to the good ride on the Duster. They are also cheap at 7800 a tyre. So if you are considering rough use, you can opt for these.
Thanks

MRF Wanders would be a no no. It is very hard to rein yourself driving a 140BHP MT Car with good dynamics.

Now we are looking at either Michelin Latitude Tour HP or at various Duelers by Bridgestone in size 215/65 R16. Any recommendation for Bridgestone?

Thanks again :-)

Last edited by Sheel : 19th May 2013 at 08:50.
Old 19th May 2013, 10:31   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks

MRF Wanders would be a no no. It is very hard to rein yourself driving a 140BHP MT Car with good dynamics.

Now we are looking at either Michelin Latitude Tour HP or at various Duelers by Bridgestone in size 215/65 R16. Any recommendation for Bridgestone?

Thanks again :-)
If you find Bridgestone Dueler HT's in the stock Yeti size please post the details here of where to procure the same.
I like Bridgestone Dueler HT's and as per my experience with them on my Bolero and Scorpio these last 8-9 years, find them to be strong, tough, economical, comfortable and long lasting tyres.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 19:51   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you find Bridgestone Dueler HT's in the stock Yeti size please post the details here of where to procure the same.
I like Bridgestone Dueler HT's and as per my experience with them on my Bolero and Scorpio these last 8-9 years, find them to be strong, tough, economical, comfortable and long lasting tyres.
Bridgestone is available at Siliguri in size 215/65 R16. The tire is this

Though we ideally wanted this, but wasn't available.

We would be looking at Michelin as well. What would guys advise? Michelin has this

I would update hopefully early next week.

Thanks