Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 1st November 2015, 20:21   #421
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Came across this page, seemed quite helpful in determining upsize error percentage.

http://tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm
famousshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 12:51   #422

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I changed over to Bridgestone AR 20 195/60. Find the drive smooth now. No complaints on any front and need to see how it ages over time.

It's time to change tyres on My Vento 1.6Tdi which is currently running on Stock Apollo 185/60/R15 and in the usual quandary of going for a 195/60 or 205/55. Or sticking to the stock size. Since I will have to live with this decision for another 3 years would rather go for a size which is proven. Usage is mostly city with about 25% highway driving.
msudhir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2015, 12:11   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msudhir View Post
It's time to change tyres on My Vento 1.6Tdi which is currently running on Stock Apollo 185/60/R15 and in the usual quandary of going for a 195/60 or 205/55. Or sticking to the stock size. Since I will have to live with this decision for another 3 years would rather go for a size which is proven. Usage is mostly city with about 25% highway driving.
I got mine changed from stock (Goodyear - 185/60/15) to Michelin P3 ST (195/60/15) on the day of delivery. Costed me 12k with exchange of stocks. The ride is very comfortable and quiet. The car also feels more planted and brakes seem to offer better grip as well. I keep a pressure of 32 on all tyres. Checked with the dealer before the change and he said, no worries - go ahead. I drive mostly in the city, with some highway drives planned.
famousshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 10:41   #424
BHPian

I got my tyres upgraded in September 2015 since my older Michelins were 3 1/2 years and 65000 kms old.
The new shoes were Bridgestone B250 (can't recall the exact number). Now its been 3000 kms and nearly 3 months and the front tyre has a crack at the wall owing to a pothole that I passed through at a speed of 20 kph. When I took it to the closest puncture shop it was proven that the wall of tyre (where I think the rubber is the thickest has a nasty crack.
I had this problem with stock Apollo tyres where there was a big gash and I had to get a new tyre. In this case the tyre is cracked on the wall.
Now I have the following questions
1) Any possibility of repairs or mending the crack ?
2) If no chance of repairs , then any chance I can claim or get a new tire with warranty. I am not sure if this will work since the warranty might not cover this damage and the fine print will ensure I do not get this.
3) Are Bridgestone's really this bad ? Never had this experience with my earlier Michelins. I had punctures but never this cracking of the tyre wall.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 11:48   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I got my tyres upgraded in September 2015 since my older Michelins were 3 1/2 years and 65000 kms old.
The new shoes were Bridgestone B250 (can't recall the exact number). Now its been 3000 kms and nearly 3 months and the front tyre has a crack at the wall owing to a pothole that I passed through at a speed of 20 kph. When I took it to the closest puncture shop it was proven that the wall of tyre (where I think the rubber is the thickest has a nasty crack.
I had this problem with stock Apollo tyres where there was a big gash and I had to get a new tyre. In this case the tyre is cracked on the wall.
Now I have the following questions
1) Any possibility of repairs or mending the crack ?
2) If no chance of repairs , then any chance I can claim or get a new tire with warranty. I am not sure if this will work since the warranty might not cover this damage and the fine print will ensure I do not get this.
3) Are Bridgestone's really this bad ? Never had this experience with my earlier Michelins. I had punctures but never this cracking of the tyre wall.
This would be covered under warranty. Please approach your dealer.
abhjain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 23:21   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousshoes View Post
I got mine changed from stock (Goodyear - 185/60/15) to Michelin P3 ST (195/60/15) on the day of delivery. Costed me 12k with exchange of stocks. The ride is very comfortable and quiet. The car also feels more planted and brakes seem to offer better grip as well. I keep a pressure of 32 on all tyres. Checked with the dealer before the change and he said, no worries - go ahead. I drive mostly in the city, with some highway drives planned.

Thanks .. After going through the Thread once again felt that the consensus is for 195/60/15's and have opted for Bridgestone Earth 1. The drive home was noticeably quiet but maybe I was used to the hardness of the Apollo's the last couple of months ..
msudhir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 00:32   #427
BHPian

Just came back from PDI of Vento TSI, the stock provided are Good year, how are the reviews on the same? I am guessing it will be bad.

So need to replace, i have almost zeroed on at Michelin Primacy 195/60/15.

Buyback i am getting from one of the dealers near my house is 2800 per tyre and Michelin is being quoted at 6100 per tyre, is this a good deal?

Total he is asking 13200 + 1200 (Alignment), He later said he will do it at flat 14k.

If someone can please point me to some other good dealer too in bangalore, will be thankful.
AtheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 10:14   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
This would be covered under warranty. Please approach your dealer.
I checked with the dealer. And as I had anticipated , he said it was beyond warranty. Apparently tyres are only replaced for manufacturing defects noticed immediaetly. I had driven for 3000 kms and so he said a cut on the wall is non-repairable and hence not the tyre company's fault but just my bad luck.
In the situation I was left with very little choice but to replace the tyre and solve the problem at hand.
However come to think of it , tyres getting slashed at the wall should be repairable at least by the tyre company. I mean if I can get it repaired even for 1000 rupees at the most I could still save nearly 4000 that I would need if I purchased a new tire to replace it.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 10:44   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
If someone can please point me to some other good dealer too in bangalore, will be thankful.
Hi AtheK,

Millivision had quoted 5950 for Michelin P 3ST 195/60/R15. I installed Yoko 205/55/R15 (5500 INR) from them and buyback for Apollo Alnac was 3k per tyre. He suggested that wheel alignment is not required on a new car and charged approx 500INR for wheel balancing. Hence total for swap was 10500 INR.

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 10:45   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi AtheK,

Millivision had quoted 5950 for Michelin P 3ST 195/60/R15. I installed Yoko 205/55/R15 (5500 INR) from them and buyback for Apollo Alnac was 3k per tyre. He suggested that wheel alignment is not required on a new car and charged approx 500INR for wheel balancing. Hence total for swap was 10500 INR.

Regards.
Thanks, do you have a contact number so I can call and speak to him.
Old 9th December 2015, 06:20   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi AtheK,

Regards.
What has been your experience with the Yokos so far? My dealer in Delhi was against the upgrade since it would be a noisy tyre and sidewall might also scrape against the body at times.
abhjain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 14:53   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
What has been your experience with the Yokos so far? My dealer in Delhi was against the upgrade since it would be a noisy tyre and sidewall might also scrape against the body at times.
Yokohama means nothing by itself, depends on the model:
- S-Drives: they are are a sporty tyre, hence are noisy, but provide the best possible grip among all the popular tires, for your Vento. You get these in both 195 & 205.
- AVS db v550: great grip, similar to the S-Drives, but absolutely silent. I have these on my Vento, and I love them. They come only in 195, and are marginally more expensive than the S-Drives in that size, but are cheaper than the 205 S-Drives.
- Earth: there's are relatively cheaper, and don't excel in any one parameter, but are a good balance, from what I hear.

So, it really depends on what you want, and how much you want to spend. What your dealer mentioned about noise is specific to the S-Drives.

What your dealer mentioned about the sidewall scrape is rubbish. Lots of members have them and no one's complained of this. In terms of height, the 195 is marginally taller (but within the 2% variance to original size) and i like them because they visually seem to fill up the wheel well nicely, but again, no issues of scraping.

Also, practically, there will be no difference between the 195 & the 205; what it really depends on will be a combination of the rubber / tyre compound / tread, etc. Even within the same tire, the performance often changes by size, so bear that in mind, but importantly, first set your priorities on what you expect from the tire, and then go for that specific model. If at all the size comes into play, it should come once you've chosen your specific tire model.

Last edited by bosporus : 9th December 2015 at 14:58.
bosporus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 16:30   #433
BHPian

Also, here's a "map" of their tyre range from Yokohama India's website:

http://www.yokohama-india.com/wp-con...map-market.jpg
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 17:52   #434
BHPian

Went with the mood to get Michelin and ended up with pirelli p1
Old 14th December 2015, 00:12   #435
BHPian

Guys like many other, after changing to 195/60/P15, i see that the car pulls a bit towards left, how did the other's fix this?

PS: Sorry mods there was no option to edit my above post.