Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2012, 11:18   #76
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,564
Thanked: 2,496 Times
Default re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

205/55-15 C drives are non-existent. What you want are the S Drives. However, the ride comfort isnt great.

Personally, I will suggest 195/60-15 ZLOs or Primacy LCs or C Drives.

If you are getting 185/60-15 Aceleres with your car, then it is not absolutely necessary for a tyre upgrade. YOu can manage with the existing tyres. The Aceleres are very good tyres. Check out the Acelere thread to get an idea of how good the tyres are. Save your money for fuel for long drives!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 11:20   #77
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 475 Times
Default re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Are Yokos the only option in the 205/55/R15 size for the Vento? Is there absolutely no other tire brand (and I mean the good ones) who sell something in this size? I hunted and found that nothing. Appreciate if someone could shed some light on this.
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 20:39   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 363 Times
Default re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

You get continental CPC2's and Pirelli's in this size. Yoko S drives is too unavailable due to the ISI regulation thingy and you only get CPC2 widely available in this size. Feedback is pretty mixed about CPC2 though, and hence I gave it a miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Are Yokos the only option in the 205/55/R15 size for the Vento? Is there absolutely no other tire brand (and I mean the good ones) who sell something in this size? I hunted and found that nothing. Appreciate if someone could shed some light on this.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 20:56   #79
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 475 Times
Default re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
You get continental CPC2's and Pirelli's in this size. Yoko S drives is too unavailable due to the ISI regulation thingy and you only get CPC2 widely available in this size. Feedback is pretty mixed about CPC2 though, and hence I gave it a miss.
Thanks so much Bala. Was it the Yoko S or the Michelins with the soft sidewall issues? I remember both you and Souravc had your sidewalls burst when going over potholes at high speeds. I was thinking a 205 upgrade should make the grip better but am very skeptical about the Yoko S due to their soft sidewalls. I think the stock Apollos held up pretty well over the road trip I took. I even have liked the Bridgestones which I have used on my old Zen. Now I have run out of options for the 205 upgrade for the Vento. I was thinking at least 205 should give some significant improvement in grip, please correct me if I am wrong.

On another note, why did VW had to give this unique out of the world specs for the tires which becomes very difficult to upgrade
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 22:38   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 272
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I think the stock Apollos held up pretty well over the road trip I took.
You can look at the apollo aceleres since you had a good experience with them. They are good tyres. available in that size acc to apollo website.
guptavis is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 22:55   #81
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 475 Times
Default re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
You can look at the apollo aceleres since you had a good experience with them. They are good tyres. available in that size acc to apollo website.
Actually I have had a look at the Apollo site and the 205 options that are available for 15 inch alloys are in a profile which will push the differential of the upgrade beyond +/-2% or above which is not recommended. Same is the case for most other tire brands .
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 23:03   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 363 Times
Default

It was the c drives. I didn't have an issue with them, but wasn't satisfied with the steering feel and feedback, hence changed them. Sourav had a sidewall damage on his c drive. Please note that c drives doesn't come in 205 profile. We were using the 195 ones.

S drives are actually the sporty ones in yoko lineup. But these aren't officially available anymore due to some new regulations. These are noisy though and ride quality wouldn't be any softer.

Continental is german too, like VW, see the connection:-)

Why not consider the 195 profile? There is a whole lot of options in this spec.


Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar

Thanks so much Bala. Was it the Yoko S or the Michelins with the soft sidewall issues? I remember both you and Souravc had your sidewalls burst when going over potholes at high speeds. I was thinking a 205 upgrade should make the grip better but am very skeptical about the Yoko S due to their soft sidewalls. I think the stock Apollos held up pretty well over the road trip I took. I even have liked the Bridgestones which I have used on my old Zen. Now I have run out of options for the 205 upgrade for the Vento. I was thinking at least 205 should give some significant improvement in grip, please correct me if I am wrong.

On another note, why did VW had to give this unique out of the world specs for the tires which becomes very difficult to upgrade
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 12:29   #83
BHPian
 
aniket.tiwari27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 178
Thanked: 64 Times
Default re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
205/55-15 C drives are non-existent. What you want are the S Drives. However, the ride comfort isnt great.

Personally, I will suggest 195/60-15 ZLOs or Primacy LCs or C Drives.

If you are getting 185/60-15 Aceleres with your car, then it is not absolutely necessary for a tyre upgrade. YOu can manage with the existing tyres. The Aceleres are very good tyres. Check out the Acelere thread to get an idea of how good the tyres are. Save your money for fuel for long drives!
Hello Nikhil,

I got JK Vectra's in my Vento TDI Highline. So, how are these as compared to the apollo aceleres.

Should I plan for an upgrade? If yes, what would be the best option to consider.
aniket.tiwari27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 13:21   #84
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 475 Times
Default re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
It was the c drives. I didn't have an issue with them, but wasn't satisfied with the steering feel and feedback, hence changed them. Sourav had a sidewall damage on his c drive. Please note that c drives doesn't come in 205 profile. We were using the 195 ones.
I stand corrected then. Do the 195 ones provide noticeable improvement in grip after the upgrade? Steering feedback is always a sore point with the Vento I guess. Even with the stock Apollos I don't think it is anywhere near good. Did you change to Michelins? How is the feedback now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
S drives are actually the sporty ones in yoko lineup. But these aren't officially available anymore due to some new regulations. These are noisy though and ride quality wouldn't be any softer.
Don't all Yokos suffer from a soft sidewalls. Thats something I would be scared of as most of my city driving involves an unusually large no. of potholes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Continental is german too, like VW, see the connection:-)
Can you please elaborate the issues with Continental? Do they sell in India? I had searched for them but didn't find an India specific site here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Why not consider the 195 profile? There is a whole lot of options in this spec.
Does a 195 upgrade give you better improvement in grip? I was thinking a difference of 1 cm might not make too much of a difference hence was thinking of the 205. Also the 205 tires should make the car look way better
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 17:05   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 363 Times
Default re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

You bet! I have Bridgestone turanza ER 60 in 195/60/15 profile and can vouch for the improvement in grip levels. The Yoko C drives were pretty grippy and super silent, but the steering feel was a let down. Bridestone offers the best of both worlds, but the tyres are a wee bit noisy than the C-drives and ride quality not as soft as the C drives. This was a compromise I was willing to make. The steering feels pretty OK now (not much improvement from stock).Please note the BS ER-60 are expensive than the C-drives in the same profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I stand corrected then. Do the 195 ones provide noticeable improvement in grip after the upgrade? Steering feedback is always a sore point with the Vento I guess. Even with the stock Apollos I don't think it is anywhere near good. Did you change to Michelins? How is the feedback now?
Not really. S drives are performance oriented tyres which means harder sidewall which doesnt flex much during cornering. Problem is, these arent available officially anymore. These offer superior grip levels at the cost of tyre noise and ride quality. Take your pick

I had Michelin XM1+ on my swift earlier and those tyres never let me down in 4 years of driving through all sort of road surfaces and Michelin's were supposed to have pretty soft sidewall. The apollo acelere which came stock on the vento burst when I drove through a pothole at medium speed which were supposed to have strong sidewalls. Point is, any tyre is susceptable for damage depending on the road conditions and the soft sidewalled one's are more vulnerable. So you need to take some additional care while driving, that's all.

Quote:
Don't all Yokos suffer from a soft sidewalls. Thats something I would be scared of as most of my city driving involves an unusually large no. of potholes.
Oh yes, CPC2's are available in 205/55/15 spec. I didnt go for them because

- Mixed feedback from the forum (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...tal-tyres.html (Continental tyres))

- Felt they were expensive at 6400 Rs per tyre for this spec.

Quote:
Can you please elaborate the issues with Continental? Do they sell in India? I had searched for them but didn't find an India specific site here.
Dont go by just the width of the tyre alone. A good tyre in the same 185 profile will give you better grip than the stock apollo acelere's. The acelere's lose traction very early and are noisy as hell.

Following are the pro's and con's of 195/60/15 profile compared to the 205/55/15 spec

Pro's -

- Many choices available. You get michelin's, yoko's, bridgestone's and even MRF ZLO's in this size. Comparitively cheaper too.
- Better ride quality due to the increase in height of sidewall compared to 205/55/15 profile.
- Wee bit increase in GC owing to higher sidewall in this profile. Given our road conditions, every mm increase in GC is more than welcome, isnt it?

Con's

- Increased body roll (more flex of the sidewall), a little bit of compromise on handling.
- Doesn't really look very meaty or wide compared to the 185 profile. (Nikhil commented on another thread that the contact patch between 185 and 195 tyres will almost be the same!)

Having said all these, if I get good options in 205/55/15, I will definitely go for them over 195/60/15.


Quote:
Does a 195 upgrade give you better improvement in grip? I was thinking a difference of 1 cm might not make too much of a difference hence was thinking of the 205. Also the 205 tires should make the car look way better

Last edited by bala80 : 19th March 2012 at 17:08.
bala80 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 17:18   #86
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,209
Thanked: 7,925 Times
Default re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

The more I drive this car the more comfortable I get with the stock Aceleres. Nikhil is right- it is not worth upgrading to 195/60 right at the outset. I was pretty set to change after year/15,000km but surprisingly after about 10,000 km these tyres wore in really well and my biggest problem: high tyre noise- is no longer that obvious. I like the braking and the grip is more than adequate.

I have A-drives on the Swift in 185/70R14 and *love* those tyres. Since Nikhil rates the MRF ZLOs as high as the A drives, it makes sense for me to switch to 195/60R15 ZLOs when the time comes (maybe another year/15000 km at least in my reckoning).

Just have this mad desire to upgrade to 16 inchers though EVERYBODy from my friendly neighbourhood accessories guy to GTO advises me against it It will be quite an expense considering I would need to change the alloys as well. And apparently 16 inch tyres are expensive! But just in case I win the lottery, any suggestions?
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 17:39   #87
BHPian
 
aniket.tiwari27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 178
Thanked: 64 Times
Default re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The more I drive this car the more comfortable I get with the stock Aceleres. Nikhil is right- it is not worth upgrading to 195/60 right at the outset. I was pretty set to change after year/15,000km but surprisingly after about 10,000 km these tyres wore in really well and my biggest problem: high tyre noise- is no longer that obvious. I like the braking and the grip is more than adequate.

I have A-drives on the Swift in 185/70R14 and *love* those tyres. Since Nikhil rates the MRF ZLOs as high as the A drives, it makes sense for me to switch to 195/60R15 ZLOs when the time comes (maybe another year/15000 km at least in my reckoning).

Just have this mad desire to upgrade to 16 inchers though EVERYBODy from my friendly neighbourhood accessories guy to GTO advises me against it It will be quite an expense considering I would need to change the alloys as well. And apparently 16 inch tyres are expensive! But just in case I win the lottery, any suggestions?
I got JK Vectra's with my Vento. Just got the delivery 3 days back on Sunday. Have posted a picture of the same at below link :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2718706 (Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review)

I have received mixed reactions from the people and hence, unable to decide. What is your take on this?
aniket.tiwari27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 18:48   #88
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,564
Thanked: 2,496 Times
Default re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
Hello Nikhil,

I got JK Vectra's in my Vento TDI Highline. So, how are these as compared to the apollo aceleres.

Should I plan for an upgrade? If yes, what would be the best option to consider.
JK Vectras arent that great. You would benefit from an upgrade to Apollo Aceleres in 195/60-15.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 20:35   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 363 Times
Default re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I'll tell you what. When one of my alloys broke and I was shopping around for a new alloy, I was tempted to actually go one up and upgrade to 16 inchers. I found there were very nice designs in this size, but, even if you are willing to forget about the ride quality and price for a moment, you land up in the same old problem - lack of good tyre options. If I recollect it was 205/50/16 (Am i right?) and I had only pirelli's in this size which was quoted at a whopping 7200 per tyre. There wasnt much choices in this size too. I dont know about the current situation, but this was the case around 4 months back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Just have this mad desire to upgrade to 16 inchers though EVERYBODy from my friendly neighbourhood accessories guy to GTO advises me against it It will be quite an expense considering I would need to change the alloys as well. And apparently 16 inch tyres are expensive! But just in case I win the lottery, any suggestions?
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 21:19   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 424 Times
Default re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Thanks so much Bala. Was it the Yoko S or the Michelins with the soft sidewall issues? I remember both you and Souravc had your sidewalls burst when going over potholes at high speeds. I was thinking a 205 upgrade should make the grip better but am very skeptical about the Yoko S due to their soft sidewalls. I think the stock Apollos held up pretty well over the road trip I took. I even have liked the Bridgestones which I have used on my old Zen. Now I have run out of options for the 205 upgrade for the Vento. I was thinking at least 205 should give some significant improvement in grip, please correct me if I am wrong.

On another note, why did VW had to give this unique out of the world specs for the tires which becomes very difficult to upgrade
Samarjit , I have been using Yokos C drives for more than 8000 kms on my Vento and I am pretty satisfied - I use very bad pot hole riddled roads for my daily commute to office so can vouch for the fact that the worry about soft sidewall cracking my in bad Indian roads is overdone. The tyre failure that happened in my car was a pretty catastrophic one , the car was fully loaded and was travelling at around 80-90 kmph and I think it went over a piece of metal jutting out at the edge of a crater or the road since it showed 2 areas of rupture where seemingly a sharp knife like object has sliced through and through ( pictures are there on my thread ) . I do not think any tyre would have survived that kind of an "assault" , it was surely not caused due to plain pot hole bump. The C drive gives great grip , good ride quality and improves braking for sure in addition to marked reduction in noise . My tyres have not deteoriated in any way the steering feel though I must say that I am used to light steerings and prefer them too as long as they are "point and shoot' kind of accurate which the vento's is .
I must mention one aspect though - when my C drive got spoiled i replaced it with a michelin primacy so I have 1 mich and 3 yokos . After similar number of kilometres ( mich has done a 1000 km less) the michelin treads seem to wear out faster than C drives , nothing alarming but all the same .

The size I use is 195/60 / R 15
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Etios & Liva : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread nkrishnap Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 54 27th November 2016 21:38
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread carZest Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 588 28th October 2016 15:55
4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread Screwdriva Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 296 25th October 2016 13:51
Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread jkdas Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 10 29th August 2016 17:08
Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread shahmotors Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 635 9th February 2016 06:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks