Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 3rd January 2006, 13:43   #1
BHPian

Default Do wider tyres affect FE ??

Cheers guys and a happy new year to all

Could you people enlighten me on the pros and cons on going in for wider set of tyres for my honda?

- will it affect the FE
- will it affect the handling, the suspensions
- and also which tyres do you ll suggest (good year eagles,potenza s or the michelins)

Cheers

Mike
mike3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2006, 14:13   #2
BHPian

Though i'm not a techie, i'm sure wider tyres do have an impact on the FE. But how much depends on the tyre u choose to put up.
fash_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2006, 15:43   #3
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hello Mike3d,

Its a good idea to go in for a wider set of tyres. Firstly let me explain the method of getting the right upgrade for your tyre. The starting point is to find out the size of your original tyre. Based on my information about a Honda City ZX, the tyre size in 175/65 R14. 175 is the width of the tyre in mm. 65 is a percentage of 175 - the value of which is the height or the profile of the tyre and R14 is the radius in inches of the rim/wheel that the tyre will fit on. You have to translate this to the diameter of the tyre in mm. So the calculation would be -

Height of tyre (profile) - 0.65*175 = 113.75mm
Radius of Rim/wheel - 14 * 25.4 = 355.6mm
Radius of tyre+rim = 113.75+355.6 = 469.35mm
Diameter of Tyre + Rim = 2 * 469.35 = 938.7mm

Now when you go in for an upsize or downsize you have to make sure that the new diameter of the tyre+rim does not deviate by more than 2% of the original diameter. Which means your new diameter should be within the range of (938.7-18.774) to (938.7+18.774).

If your diameter reduces/increases based on your selection of tyre outside of the above range, compensate it by increasing/reducing the rim size respectively. This precaution must be taken to avoid:
  1. Wrong Odometer readings.
  2. Tyre touching the inner fenders while cornering and heavy breaking.
The smaller the profile of your tyre, better is the handling. And mind you it makes A HUGE DIFFERENCE. The con would be lesser ride comfort. However, based on my experience, the soft rubber that you get from Michelins, Goodyear, Falkon, Bridgstone more than compensates for the ride quality. I have a set of Goodyears on my Baleno and they are magnificient in every department.

Regarding FE, theoretically speaking, keeping all factors constant except the width of the tyre, the fatter the tyre, the more the resistance to rolling and hence FE suffers. But I would consider that marginal. Lets say its the premium you pay for better braking and stability which is hardly anything. Also you do get tyres with lesser rolling resistance but I am unaware of the general benchmark.

Your suspension will do just fine. Ofcourse if you go overboard in getting a real fat tyre with a very low profile, your suspension will have to handle much more bumps than normal. That will affect your suspension in the long run.

The ideal upgrade for your Honda City should be - 195/60 R14 which is 945.2mm in diameter which is well within the range.

Burjis
burjiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2006, 15:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Just an upsize wouldn't affect all that much, but goin above that will have its impact on FE and suspension.

The Goodyear Eagle F1's awesome tyres. So are the G3's
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2006, 15:54   #5
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3d
Could you people enlighten me on the pros and cons on going in for wider set of tyres for my honda?
But why do you want to go for an upgrade ? Is your Honda a Vtec ? If so, then I think it makes sense.
cnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2006, 17:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
Just an upsize wouldn't affect all that much, but goin above that will have its impact on FE and suspension.

The Goodyear Eagle F1's awesome tyres. So are the G3's
I have indeed narrowed down on the good year eagle f1 s...i guess i just love the way these tyres look so more than the handling and the ride..i freak on the way the car looks on these set of wheels...mine is not the vtec but i quite don like the tyres which come with the car i also plan to buys the alloys so wuz wondering if the eagles wud go well with my set of rims
Old 3rd January 2006, 18:47   #7
BHPian

Default wow

[quote=burjiis]

Wow man you have given me some info..so wat i get from the info given by you is that if i buy the Good years eagle f1 195/60 R14 i wont have to compromise on my FE..??

And also if good year is the rite tyre to choose amongst all or the G3 or the michelins are advisable???

mike
Old 4th January 2006, 15:13   #8
BHPian

check this site.
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
harishsegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 16:38   #9
BHPian

yes. Quite obviously FE suffers when upgrading to a wider tyre.
The secret behind Maruti's astonishing FE figures :-)

Surya

Last edited by Surya : 4th January 2006 at 16:40.
Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 17:31   #10

Hi Mike3d,
The Goodyear F1 would be an excellent buy. Their tread design is sexy and their road holding quality is great too. Your FE will suffer a bit. My Baleno with 195/60 R14 Goodyear Ventura gives me an average of 12.3kmpl over 23500 kms of driving in the last year. I wonder if I would have got any better mileage figures especially with the way I drive. I did not get the eagle F1 in that size at that time. Maybe they have introduced it now and have heard they are better than the Ventura. I switched to these tyres the moment I got the car from the showroom. Switched it from 165/80 R13 tube tyres(BridgeStone) with 195/60 R14 for 1800 bux only (all 5 of them). They are still performing great.

Roll On Buddy...
Burjis
Old 4th January 2006, 17:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

U got my respect,burjiis. Very well explained.

195s is the optimum upgrade since if u go for 185,u'll have lesser grip and 205s are bit too wide for a 77 bhp car.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 17:59   #12

Thank You Nitrous for your compliments. A mutual respect between two people goes a long way in making friends. Maybe I should start my first thread at Team BHP on "Friends born from Wheels"

Burjis
Old 6th January 2006, 12:51   #13
BHPian

Default thunx

Quote:
Originally Posted by burjiis
Thank You Nitrous for your compliments. A mutual respect between two people goes a long way in making friends. Maybe I should start my first thread at Team BHP on "Friends born from Wheels"

Burjis
Thank you both of you ll...i guess that answers my quetions..
will post some pics once i get my car upgraded.

cheers
mike
Old 6th January 2006, 15:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by burjiis
Hello Mike3d,
R14 is the radius in inches of the rim/wheel that the tyre will fit on.
Burjis
Sorry but shouldn't that R14 mean 14 inches "diameter" and not radius?

The R stands for "Radial" tyre construction.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 16:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

in 195/60 R14 ....195 is the width of the tire in mm,60 is the aspect ratio or its the side wall ...its 60%of 195 in mm....and r14 is the diameter in inches...here its 14inches...

and the ratings ...watever S,T,H,V are written afterwards is the speed rating

read this
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Last edited by Dippy : 9th January 2006 at 12:58.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote