Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 21st March 2011, 22:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Yoko S Drives : 1 year, 9 tyres, 2 blow outs, 4 side wall bulges

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Phoenix has clocked 39K and gaurav expects his set to last about 34K.
To put things in perspective, I have driven for a total of 39k on this set, of which 16k was driven with this cut - and the last 1k with a nail in the same tire:

I have done (rather, had to do owing to the situation's compulsion) 180+ at bursts, and have sustained 140+ KMPH - because of this.

Even though the first tire on this wheel ruptured itself to pieces when went over a stone at an angle, and even though this tire got itself cut at 23k - I will definitely recommend these tyres to anyone except those who would push the tyres to limits at all times. Who knows - if I dont get 185/55 R15 or 195/55 R15 in C. Drives, I might end up with another set of S. Drives - though I would love it if the new set would last 40k without these cuts and ruptures.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 23:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Please find my replies in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
The dealers don't replace tyres,the manufacturer does. All they do is let you know if it will be replaced under warranty or not.

Yes, I know that, thats why I said "they", which include yokohama and the dealers.

There was only one tyre that cleaned itself out at 20K, now yoko wouldn't make 4 tyres with diff compounds would they ?

Thats because only one tyre lasted 20k kms, rest all were changed due to damage.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 23:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj302 View Post
Now I have decided to completely swap out the s drives. Can fellow T-BHPians help me out in making a decision? My criteria are better grip, good life span (at least 35k ) and decent side wall protection. I dont want to go for profile higher than 60. Would 205/60/15 A drive be a good option for Optra Magnum, given the above criteria?
Hard luck is all can i say !
Get 195/60-15 Bridgestone Turanza ER60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
205/55 R15 S.Drives - Delhi to Leh and back and not even a single puncture!

That would mean I got lucky with not one, but four tyres!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Well, you certainly are very lucky (dont forget touchwood), it will take a lot of courage for me to go to Leh on S-Drives.
Hey
Those are two different types of cars in different situations.
One is having a heavy diesel motor up front and the other's having a light petrol engine.
On the Leh route you won't be doing speeds of 70-80kph whereas on NH17 its easy to do 70-80 kph and end up hitting a pothole especially if you do night drives.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:19   #19
BHPian

Hey Guys, Since we are on this topic. My swift runs on 205-55 R15 S Drives. One tyre has almost run bald within 27K Kms. While other 3 are perfectly fine and the tread wear indicator is not visible. This wheel has worn out evenly. Wheel Balancing, Alignment and rotation done regularly.
anshurao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:45   #20
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

kj302

Have used S-Drives for 34k kms on the Laura 205/55/R16

Superb Grip low on comfort, great fun but loud. Great to look at.

One tyre did get a bulge at 1-2k kms and as replaced free under warranty.

Bulge in tyre is replaced under warranty ( after deductions for usage) so were yours not covered under warranty? I belive they should all have been replaced with only the difference in cost (for usage) being paid by you. The amounts that you mention seem to be too high to be just the cost differential.

Either this was a bad lot or there is an issue with the car presently (which would then exhibit itself even for the next set of tyres.)

I have used the S-Drives at speeds of 170+ kmph on the Express way and gone through (bounced over) pot holes at 100+ kmph on the NH8. Have never felt the tyres not being able to handle the Indian roads.

Your experience is really unique and sad, but needs a deeper analysis.

Also as mentioned above bulge in tyres has to be covered under warranty?

Tyres that are sporty to last lesser but still they do a min of 30k kms.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 20:40   #21
BHPian

A bit concerned after I saw this thread. Upgraded all 4 tyres of my new Vento HL TDI last week to Yokohama 205-55-R15s. So far I am happy with it. Hopefully the issues in this thread are unique and I am going to have a better experience after a year!!

See my ownership thread below which has some tyre pics too -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...utschland.html (Blutrot VW Vento TDI HL von Deutschland)
motorhead5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 00:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

@motorhead5: Just be extra caucious over the pot holes and try not to hit any hard. You will manage fine.

Please find my replies in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
kj302

Superb Grip low on comfort, great fun but loud. Great to look at.

I'd second you, they are certainly very good performer. In fact, they were not too bad on comfort either, may be its because of driving conditions here in delhi. Though they are far too LOUD.

One tyre did get a bulge at 1-2k kms and as replaced free under warranty.

Bulge in tyre is replaced under warranty ( after deductions for usage) so were yours not covered under warranty? I belive they should all have been replaced with only the difference in cost (for usage) being paid by you.

Normally, the tyre in inspected by the company and if they find that its a manufacturing fault, they replace it. If the tyre is pinched, they dont.

Either this was a bad lot or there is an issue with the car presently (which would then exhibit itself even for the next set of tyres.)

I completely agree.

I have used the S-Drives at speeds of 170+ kmph on the Express way and gone through (bounced over) pot holes at 100+ kmph on the NH8. Have never felt the tyres not being able to handle the Indian roads.

Well, they certaninly can handle speed (rated up to 270) and traction is AA, but I am a bit skeptical if they can handle bad roads.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 23rd March 2011 at 00:48.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 09:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
To put things in perspective, I have driven for a total of 39k on this set, of which 16k was driven with this cut - and the last 1k with a nail in the same tire:

I have done (rather, had to do owing to the situation's compulsion) 180+ at bursts, and have sustained 140+ KMPH - because of this.
Sorry, wouldnt it be safer, JIC, to transfer the spare onto this wheel?
I mean, running on a tyre which has structural damage, just cant be good, eh?
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 14:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Sorry, wouldnt it be safer, JIC, to transfer the spare onto this wheel?
I mean, running on a tyre which has structural damage, just cant be good, eh?
The entire confusion, discussion et all were discussed a while back in my ownership thread. My spare is a 14" on steel rims - and its circumference is 2.2% smaller than my alloys + S. Drives, don't want the car to limp

Yes, it is not a good idea to have it this way. I was planning to downsize back to 14", and didn't want a new 15" tire when I do that. Not much luck in the seconds for my size either. After a week or two fervent search, I gave up - and then bunch of things kept me from going back to it - the tire kept up all through, and now its time to change the entire set...
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 15:04   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Default diff in dia negligible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
.. its circumference is 2.2% smaller than my alloys + S. Drives, don't want the car to limp
It would not have !

if the circumference is 2.2% smaller, then the dia (& hence diff in height at that wheel) would be about 0.7%. A diff so small that you would never had noticed it. We would have experienced more differences than this due overloading on one side or, even if we had used a new /spare tyre in place of a more-used tyre of the set.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 19:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I am pretty surprised with this thread. First it was Michelin and now Yokohama!! My Swift runs on 205/55/R15 Yokohama S-Drives and I have been on these tires since 20k kms now. I have had absolutely no issues with it till date. I live in Mumbai so you can imagine the roads here and what these tires go through everyday. I have hit bumps at times at high speeds but till date don't have a single bulge. I love the grip in dry conditions but not confident with them in wet conditions as I have had cases of slight aquaplaning at high speeds.

So I am guessing two things here in your case, bad driving style or bad batch of tires.

By the way, how long should these tires last as I do feel that they wear out a little faster than normal. I drive around 40kms a day. Wheels alignment and balancing done at regular intervals.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 01:53   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Epic, it is bound to happen. Michelin has been in the market for a much longer time than Yoko so the complaints about Michelin started much earlier.

It has been about 3 years since Yokohama entered in a big way and so now, the number of complaints are also increasing.

The ratio of No. of complaints : No. of tyres sold will be pretty much the same.

Unfortunately for us, our roads and infrastructure needs to improve for such complaints to come down.

We have been using tubeless tyres in our cars for the past 10 years. Probably gone through 50+ tyres and we lost ONLY one Yoko C drive to a sidewall cut. That was a clear driver fault as there was a sharp stone jutting out which mom didnt see and it sliced the tyre.

The other tyre we disposed off was an AD07 I shredded on the track!

Name:  AD07 shredded.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  62.9 KB

So, I'm a firm believer in the theory that foreign tyres just need a little care.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote