Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2012, 16:55   #121
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default Re: Faster789's collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
The collection was mostly liberated after his death, certainly the better cars were sold then (for not much). The Bullnose was his (does the Pranlal collection have two now?), I've seen Pranlal's in M'war many years ago along with the AC ........
Here is a picture of the Bullnose, this car was in Chennai along with a collection which was sold to a young enthusuast and then passed on to Pranlal. This car is not the same which you had posted before, standing in a garage. I don't think that there are two in the collection.
About the AC, that is a very handsome car. I was told that this car belonged to a Parsi family, was lying in Cuffe Parade, and came without engine, maybe the engine was kept out. Was that really a Roni Khan car?
I wonder.

Cheers harit
harit is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 17:57   #122
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,928
Thanked: 333 Times
Default Re: Faster789's collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Here is a picture of the Bullnose, this car was in Chennai along with a collection which was sold to a young enthusuast and then passed on to Pranlal. This car is not the same which you had posted before, standing in a garage. I don't think that there are two in the collection.
About the AC, that is a very handsome car. I was told that this car belonged to a Parsi family, was lying in Cuffe Parade, and came without engine, maybe the engine was kept out. Was that really a Roni Khan car?
I wonder.

Cheers harit
Harit...where is the picture ?
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 19:07   #123
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default Re: Faster789's collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Harit...where is the picture ?
Woops, sorry! Here is the picture. The car is a "dicky seater" with a "mother-inlaw" seat
Attached Images
 
harit is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 09:56   #124
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: planet earth
Posts: 777
Thanked: 830 Times
Default Re: Faster789's collection

Was the lanchester in question in fact a daimler with a lanchester radiator/grill/badge? if I recall , a two tone silverish shade. One of perhaps six lanchester badged daimlers made in the late thirties.Last heard to be in a delhi collection and since not seen, at least by me.Personally I thought it to be quite a stylish car.The Adenwala Bentley if I am not mistaken was a stunning tear drop. A very handsome car.Faster, any idea of its current whereabouts and status?
Bulldogji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 16:21   #125
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,743
Thanked: 3,248 Times
Default Re: Faster789's collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Was the lanchester in question in fact a daimler with a lanchester radiator/grill/badge? if I recall , a two tone silverish shade. One of perhaps six lanchester badged daimlers made in the late thirties.Last heard to be in a delhi collection and since not seen, at least by me.Personally I thought it to be quite a stylish car.The Adenwala Bentley if I am not mistaken was a stunning tear drop. A very handsome car.Faster, any idea of its current whereabouts and status?
Bulldogji, you are correct. The Jam Sahib did insist on "Lanchesters" - after all he had been a faithful customer from Lanchester's early days (and as I have read, a personal friend of the Lanchester brothers).

I will post both the sister cars (Tourer / All Weather and hardtop) as soon as I can find my files!

What was the Adenwalla Bentley - a Mk VI ?
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 17:09   #126
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 187
Thanked: 368 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Bulldogji, you are correct. The Jam Sahib did insist on "Lanchesters" - after all he had been a faithful customer from Lanchester's early days (and as I have read, a personal friend of the Lanchester brothers).

I will post both the sister cars (Tourer / All Weather and hardtop) as soon as I can find my files!

What was the Adenwalla Bentley - a Mk VI ?
Excellent attention to detail Bulldogji and Travancore, this should help a little further.

The most famous buyer of Daimlers was the Jam Sahib of Nawanagar. He bought within a small time frame four Daimler DE27's. Chassis 51045 (Hooper body number 9187) and chassis 51046 (Hooper body number 9188) are from April 1946 and are DE27 limousines. Chassis 51049 (Vanden Plas body number 4031) and chassis 51050 (Vanden Plas body number 4032) were built shortly afterwards as allweathers. Although these two are also Daimlers, the Jam Sahib wanted Lanchester radiators and he got them.

One of the two allweathers (chassis 51049) was displayed at Pebble Beach USA a few years ago and won its class. The car was taken out of India in the early nineties. The other allweather (chassis 51050) is in the UK. One of the limousines, chassis 51046, is still in India with the Maharaja of Kutch. He got this car as a gift from the late Maharani of Nawanagar - his aunt. The other limousine, chassis 51045 and painted blue, is in Pranlal's collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
About the AC, that is a very handsome car. I was told that this car belonged to a Parsi family, was lying in Cuffe Parade, and came without engine, maybe the engine was kept out. Was that really a Roni Khan car? I wonder. Cheers harit
I think so...It is impossible to be sure about a number of these things from over 30 years ago unless registration/previous owners are documented. He had a number of cars, some which he kept for years and some which were released to new homes at a much faster rate. He had the space so would occasionally "store" cars on behalf of others who didn't. What I do know for sure is the AC went to Pranlal from him or via him in the late 70s I think...

Adenwalla's (was there more than one tear drop MK VI?) Bentley tear drop was a beauty, could be seen on Walkeshwar from time to time. If memory serves me right, that car is abroad.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th June 2012 at 17:24. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Faster789 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 17:17   #127
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default Re: Faster789's collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Was the lanchester in question in fact a daimler with a lanchester radiator/grill/badge? if I recall , a two tone silverish shade. One of perhaps six lanchester badged daimlers made in the late thirties.Last heard to be in a delhi collection ...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Bulldogji, you are correct. The Jam Sahib did insist on "Lanchesters" - after all he had been a faithful customer from Lanchester's early days (and as I have read, a personal friend of the Lanchester brothers).
I will post both the sister cars (Tourer / All Weather and hardtop) as soon as I can find my files!
What was the Adenwalla Bentley - a Mk VI ?
As far as I remember the Lanchesters were special cars build for British Royalty and Jamsaheb only. Some with 6 cylinder engine(?not sure), some with 8 cylinder. Such luxury cars were not being built because of the war effort.
The Pratabgarh car was one such car, the only tourer.
I heard that this 2 tone silver car which we are looking for did indeed go to Delhi.
Adenwalla Bently must be that 8 litre, still with Roni Khan family?
Mark VI Bentley would not fit for the kind of cars Adenwalla had.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 28th June 2012 at 17:22.
harit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 17:28   #128
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,928
Thanked: 333 Times
Default Re: Faster789's collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
As far as I remember the Lanchesters were special cars build for British Royalty and Jamsaheb only. Some with 6 cylinder engine(?not sure), some with 8 cylinder. Such luxury cars were not being built because of the war effort.

Cheers harit
Actually the story has it that the Jam Saheb ordered the Lanchesters shortly after Daimler had ceased production of the marque. As the didnt want to upset such a loyal client a few Daimlers were modifled to accept Lanchester style Grilles and badging and sent out.

Earlier to this Lanchester cars wer not badge engineered Daimlers at any time nor were they only built for royal families only !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
Adenwalla's (was there more than one tear drop MK VI?) Bentley tear drop was a beauty, could be seen on Walkeshwar from time to time. If memory serves me right, that car is abroad.
Was this the Gurney Nutting Mk VI originally from Mysore ? Its the only Teardrop that I am aware of and is in the UK
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 17:39   #129
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 326
Thanked: 174 Times
Default Re: Faster789's collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789
The other limousine, chassis 51045 and painted blue, is in Pranlal's collection.

I think so...It is impossible to be sure about a number of these things from over 30 years ago unless registration/previous owners are documented. He had a number of cars, some which he kept for years and some which were released to new homes at a much faster rate. He had the space so would occasionally "store" cars on behalf of others who didn't. What I do know for sure is the AC went to Pranlal from him or via him in the late 70s I think...
The Blue Mr. Bhogilal Daimler a 1947 DE27 Limo.
Attached Thumbnails
Faster789's collection-daimler-.jpg  


Last edited by Rehaan : 28th June 2012 at 17:47. Reason: Fixing quote.
67Bug is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 04:25   #130
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,743
Thanked: 3,248 Times
Default Re: Faster789's collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
Excellent attention to detail Bulldogji and Travancore, this should help a little further.

Chassis 51049 (Vanden Plas body number 4031) and chassis 51050 (Vanden Plas body number 4032) were built shortly afterwards as allweathers. Although these two are also Daimlers, the Jam Sahib wanted Lanchester radiators and he got them.
Here is one of Jam Sahib's Vanden Plas "Daimlanchesters"
courtesy: The Autocar, May 1947

Faster789's collection-nawanagar-lanchester-de27.jpg


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below are the "VdP Pair" as promised

courtesy: Coachwork by Vanden Plas by Brian Smith

Name:  Nawanagar Lanchester Straight Eight Pair 1936 cropped.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  206.4 KB

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Hardtop car in Delhi (?) from our own Forum:

Faster789's collection-nawanagar-lanchester-4half-straight-8-period-frt-3q.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Faster789's collection-nawanagar-lanchester-4half-straight-8-period-side.jpg  


Last edited by travancore : 29th June 2012 at 04:52.
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 18:00   #131
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: planet earth
Posts: 777
Thanked: 830 Times
Default Re: Faster789's collection

Harit, the Adenwala Bentley was a mark six tear drop. Why would you presume that they would not have a MK6? Travancore, any idea of the current fate/condition of the hard top Lanchester in Delhi? Many cars with pre selector transmissions were grounded because the owners or restorers/mechanics did not understand these rather simple mechanisms. Actually a pre selector G box makes it easy for the driver especially in traffic conditions of today.
Bulldogji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 20:15   #132
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 187
Thanked: 368 Times
Default Re: Faster789's collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Adenwalla Bently must be that 8 litre, still with Roni Khan family? Mark VI Bentley would not fit for the kind of cars Adenwalla had. Cheers harit
As I've said above, Khan 8 Litre is definitely Adenwalla (and had chopped doors then, since repaired) and he also had the MKVI as Bulldogji has correctly pointed out above. Adenwalla had a lot of different cars, there was no method to his collecting as the list I have set out above appears to demonstrate.

Last edited by Faster789 : 29th June 2012 at 20:16.
Faster789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 21:02   #133
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,743
Thanked: 3,248 Times
Default Re: Faster789's collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Harit, the Adenwala Bentley was a mark six tear drop. Why would you presume that they would not have a MK6? Travancore, any idea of the current fate/condition of the hard top Lanchester in Delhi? Many cars with pre selector transmissions were grounded because the owners or restorers/mechanics did not understand these rather simple mechanisms. Actually a pre selector G box makes it easy for the driver especially in traffic conditions of today.
I have been out of the country way too long to personally know anything about these cars.

Attaching another period picture of GJY-4763 from the web. Would not be suprised if our own Faster789 was the man behing the lens!

source: www.ucapusa.com

Name:  Nawanagar Lanchester Straight Eight Rear Large.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  37.1 KB
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 17:03   #134
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,376
Thanked: 6,223 Times
Default Re: Faster789's collection

Sorry to digress on a thread of such pedigree, but amongst the super pics on this thread is one of the dark blue and black (?) Daimler saloon. In the back a parrot green Amby Mk 3 is seen. It appears to have a larger rear windscreen than normal (could be a trick on the eyes, but humour me).

Name:  07.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  59.3 KB

Here is a picture I took of Harit's beat up Mk 3 Amby some years ago, also green. Also with a larger rear glass installed. Harit, were you in Delhi with the Amby ever?

Name:  08.JPG
Views: 604
Size:  182.2 KB
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 17:51   #135
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default Re: Faster789's collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
............The most famous buyer of Daimlers was the Jam Sahib of Nawanagar. He bought within a small time frame four Daimler DE27's. Chassis 51045 (Hooper body number 9187) and chassis 51046 (Hooper body number 9188) are from April 1946 and are DE27 limousines. Chassis 51049 (Vanden Plas body number 4031) and chassis 51050 (Vanden Plas body number 4032) were built shortly afterwards as allweathers. Although these two are also Daimlers, the Jam Sahib wanted Lanchester radiators and he got them.

One of the two allweathers (chassis 51049) was displayed at Pebble Beach USA a few years ago and won its class. The car was taken out of India in the early nineties. The other allweather (chassis 51050) is in the UK. One of the limousines, chassis 51046, is still in India with the Maharaja of Kutch. He got this car as a gift from the late Maharani of Nawanagar - his aunt. The other limousine, chassis 51045 and painted blue, is in Pranlal's collection........

......What I do know for sure is the AC went to Pranlal from him or via him in the late 70s I think...

Adenwalla's (was there more than one tear drop MK VI?) Bentley tear drop was a beauty, could be seen on Walkeshwar from time to time. If memory serves me right, that car is abroad.
Hi Faster, this post and others below have me confused. Chassis 51050 may not be the car we are talking about, GJY 4763. The numbers mentioned in travancore's post from Autocar are different. GJY should be in India, if it went out, then how? And when?
I got confirmation that it was a Nawanagar car, it had red plated earlier which were still in the car. And the car was lying at a pump on Warden road for a very long time, I got the name of the owner at that time, the lady settled in London? And the car was to have been sold to an industrialist in Delhi. And was GJY an 6 or 8 cylinder car? It should be 8 cylinder, chassis no 43587 to design 1422 as per travancore's post.
The car at Pebble Beach must have been that Pratabgarh car which went out legally.

The "teardrop" Bentley was a Maharaja of Mysore car, when I started looking at vintage cars it belonged to Apte, who exported it after the ban, but legally. It was parked in Woodlands on Peddar Road.

The AC as you say was an Adenwalla car, and now with Pranlal. You mention from him, or via him, the "him" is Adenwalla? I reconfirmed that the car came from a Parsi family from Cuffe Parade, the engine has some issue. So this may be the "via".

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Here is one of Jam Sahib's Vanden Plas "Daimlanchesters"
courtesy: The Autocar, May 1947.......
Just superb work for reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Harit, the Adenwala Bentley was a mark six tear drop. Why would you presume that they would not have a MK6......
I now know that Adenwalla had many Bentley's, and the MK VI would have been a relatively modern car, only 20 to 22 years old. Maybe it was more of a regular car. Not really collectable when you have the 8 litre Bentley, Bugatti, Invicta, AC?, Cord, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
As I've said above, Khan 8 Litre is definitely Adenwalla (and had chopped doors then, since repaired) and he also had the MKVI as Bulldogji has correctly pointed out above. Adenwalla had a lot of different cars, there was no method to his collecting as the list I have set out above appears to demonstrate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
I have been out of the country way too long to personally know anything about these cars.

Attaching another period picture of GJY-4763 from the web. Would not be suprised if our own Faster789 was the man behing the lens!
Again, good post.

Waiting for some more faster pictures, pun intended.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 30th June 2012 at 17:56.
harit is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks