Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 20th December 2011, 20:32   #1
BHPian

Post Painting the tyre sidewalls WHITE

I have been pondering upon this issue for a while now, and even found a thread where the discussion was regarding painting the tyre sidewall letters. However, what I am looking at is painting the sidewall completely white. Here is a link with a few pictures, they will give a good idea about what exactly I am trying to describe.

Mercedes-Benz Pontons (1953-1962) / White Wall Tire Paint for Diagonal (Cross-Ply) Tires www.mbzponton.org

Also, the thread I was reading had quite a few suggestions, ranging from special tyre paint to tyre pens or crayons and even normal nerolac paint. I am pretty confused about the way to go about this, and a few queries I have are:

1. What paint and painting process would give best results, in terms of a good finish and good longevity?
2. The tires are subject to a lot of heat. What effect would this have on the tyres, and what should be done to minimise this effect?

Anyone having any idea, opinions or suggestions about this, please chip in. That would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 22:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Painting the tyre sidewalls WHITE

Try the road lane marking paint as it can withstand heat and abuse; Thermoplastic Hot Melting Road Marking paint.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 16:49   #3
BHPian

Dun think that is a great idea. With the constant change in weather the tires will eventually crack up. There are white side walls available in the market, all you have to do is deflate your tires, push white walls in the rim and stick them to your existing tires. I know of someone called Darrel who was trying to import these walls, contact him on 9821047448. You can give him Amol as reference, i've got my suspension assistors from him!
SunChaser is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 18:03   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I suggest you just buy white-sidewall tyres off Ebay. I hope this is for a Vintage car though? White sidewalls would look awfully out of place on a contemporary car.

Here's a related thread BTW : Painting Sidewall Letters (How to paint the Tyre Sidewall Letters?)
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 00:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I hope this is for a Vintage car though? White sidewalls would look awfully out of place on a contemporary car.
Yes it is for a standard Ten, 1956 make. It had been with my grandfather for many years, and I was 6 when he sold it off. Years later, I have been able to trace it and am in the process of getting it back and starting a restoration project, but was really not sure where I could source proper white sidewalls tyres from. Hence the idea. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 22nd December 2011, 00:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

IMO - The paint has to be rubber based. Plastic/Enamel based paints become brittle after curing.

That way the paint deforms and stretches with the tyre and will not crack.
AbhiJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 01:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

I can bet that for the lettering on my car tyres, I have been able to achieve by far the best results using those fabric colours from pidilite.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 02:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I can bet that for the lettering on my car tyres, I have been able to achieve by far the best results using those fabric colours from pidilite.
I am also planning to do something similiar on my regular ride. Could you share a bit more info on this? For example, in what kinda shop am I mostly likely to find this, also what exactly should I ask for? And some directions, dos and donts would be most helpful.

I am planning to embark on it this weekend, really can't wait to get started.
Old 22nd December 2011, 02:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi mate,

Well, these are fabric colors from Pidilite & as far as I know, they should be available at most stationary shops in your location. I think they are called 'Fevicryl' if I recall correctly & it doesn't cost more than about 25-30 rupees.

What I had done was clean the tyres with hot water (helps soften the rubber a bit) & let them dry. Then, I had used an ear bud to paint the letters on the tyres. After the first coat was through, I let it dry & then did a second coat.

Hope that helps. Try it out & see how it works for you. I will also try to put up a picture of my car on the other thread (the one that GTO has shared above, for reference) by this weekend.

Drive safe.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 22nd December 2011 at 02:30.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:23   #10
BHPian

A naive question, why was a tyre made with a white sidewall. Im guessing it just not a cosmetic thing or is it? Is it something to do with two different compounds for varying stresses on the different parts of the wall?
TuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Here is a link with a few pictures, they will give a good idea about what exactly I am trying to describe.

Mercedes-Benz Pontons (1953-1962) / White Wall Tire Paint for Diagonal (Cross-Ply) Tires www.mbzponton.org
I am a member of the MBZ ponton club for some time, there are people who swear by the paint that this guy has been selling on the site. Why don't you import two or three cans of this stuff. Definately cheaper than whitewalls. Should you choose to import, a set of 4 whitewalls will set you back by atleast a lakh of rupees.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:12   #12
BHPian

I have used imported white wall latex tyre paint on one one of my American Vintage cars. Easy to apply; looks original. But needs once a year recoating as it has a tendency to become brownish.Alternatively,one can try white side wall flaps that can be fixed on the black tyres. US companies sell these flaps
C.S.ANANTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 10:49   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here is another option that Vintage car fans might find useful : White Wall Tyre Inserts ("White Wall" Tyre Inserts by AutoRunner)
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 13:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Here is another option that Vintage car fans might find useful : White Wall Tyre Inserts ("White Wall" Tyre Inserts by AutoRunner)
I think this makes a lot of sense than painting the tyres especially if there is a lot of wiring on the sidewall of the tyres, painted writing looks ugly IMHO. Even the fine writing on the tyre in the picture below just doesnt seem right. However the right thing to do while painting is to go for "plastocol / rubber colors " - these are the ones that are used to print on garments ( the likes of Tees and all ) - they have a very good flexibility thereby reducing the chances of cracks. You will have to cure it though using a hot air gun @ 180 deg C and then once it dries off, press it down firmly using a hot roller or just a domestic iron so long as you do it accurately without burning the rubber.

Painting the tyre sidewalls WHITE-145197.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 1st May 2012 at 15:34. Reason: Reuploading your picture the right way. PM coming up
cmdalvi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 13:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
this is a much better option than painting the sidewalls. IMHO the paint doesnot look good if the sidewalls of the tyres have a lot of writing on it. It does not seem like a professional stock thing no matter how good you do it.

However in case you want to go ahead with paint, IMO the best medium to use is plastosol / rubber prints - the ones that are used on garments ( likes of tees etc.) These have high elasticity and dont crack easily. The flip side is that it is absolutely important to cure the print after applying by a hot air gun @ 180 deg C ( else it will flake off ) and then once it dries off press it hard using a hot roller ( a domestic iron will do just fine so long as you do it accurately without burning the rubber ) the print will feel very rough initially even after curing but will become soft once it is pressed
cmdalvi is offline   Reply With Quote