Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 27th January 2013, 23:22   #241
BHPian

Default re: Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Here are the Humber and Chevy Fleetmaster which will make their appearance at Cartier. I understand that these cars will have some of the extra fittings removed for the show. The Humber for example will loose the Boa Horn and white wall tyres for the show.

Cheers

KPS
Hi KPS,

Strangely it seems to have grown a number at the end after several years!

regards,

Srinand.
Attached Thumbnails
Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-car-rally-bangalore-club-138.jpg  

srinand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 06:54   #242
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
KPS,thanks!

What is the history of this Humber ?
Understand that this is the Ex-Nizam car from Hyderabad

Name:  HEH at Shahi MosquePublic Gardens in HUMBER.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  82.5 KB

Picture from the Nizam Thread, courtesy Vintage Khan
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 10:29   #243
Senior - BHPian

That Humber is not the same as the one in the Nizam's Thread picture.

I believe they are two seperate cars.

The Nizam's Humber was for a long time in Gujarat and then came back to Hyderabad in the middle of teh 1990's.

Was bought by a collector who was after the car for years and am sure he would not have sold it on.

The Nizam's Humber was a Super Snipe Pullman Limo
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 12:06   #244
BHPian

The Nizam's Humber was brought back by a Hyderabad based collector from Ajmer where it had been dieselised, then was sold to a buyer from Banglore. Secondly all Nizam's cars where alloted KING KOTI A,B or1,2, 3, and so on registration plates.Post independence thses cars were assigned Andhra Pradesh nos and assigned as APY 283_ . APX was a general car series
Mohammed4rmhyd is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 17:03   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
The abundance of "Club Badges" seems to be a plague that has spread from Kolkata to the rest of the country.

When I was a judge at The Statesman Rally a few years ago they disturbed me greatly and my position was if they couldn't show proof that they had either come with the car and if the owners were not members of the various Clubs, points should be deducted. Even then, in most cases, they detracted from the beauty of the car. My motto is "Less is More"

The Humber is quite handsome, the interior very impressive! Again too many club badges, the GB on the back, not original, and the white colour feels out of place for a car of this caliber. All said and done, I'd love to have it parked in my garage!
my view is that some badges do add charm, but they should be period badges, plus/minus five years of the year of manufacture of the car, of all the badges on the humber, only the blue RAC badge is period, and the post war RAFA badge is totally inappropriate, why should an indian car display a post independance Royal Air Force Association badge?(im ok with a prewar badge) current club badges are ok if the owner is/was a member.
awini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 21:11   #246
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Jag C-Type is going to be there!

The Jaguar C-Type that has arrived in India is the car in which Sir Stirling Moss won the 1952 Reims Grand Prix. It also ran at the 1952 Monaco GP and in the hands of Moss – took victories at Boreham and Turnberry.

The heritage Jaguar C-Type will be displayed at the Jaguar Land Rover showroom in Worli from 2nd to 7th February and will be at the Cartier ‘Travel with Style’ Concours d’Elegance from the 9th to 10th February.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-jaguar_ctype006.jpg
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 13:39   #247
BHPian

Cartier entries have started trickling into the city, local cars are busy getting their final spit and polish, invitations to the dinner on the 9th have been mailed, as have the guest invites. The C type racing jaguar will be one of the nicer cars to observe close up, other hidden treasures will also make for pleasing views. This time , entry is strictly by invitation and invitees please remember to E Mail your acceptance even after you receive your cards, to ensure your badges are prepared to prevent any embarrassing situation at the time of entry. The replica bodied Minerva from Calcutta will be another interesting car to observe at close quarters. Originally having started out in life as a tourer somehow the new body does not appeal ( at least to me) but then , beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder. A good effort though by the restorer and owner to rescue this rare marque. Pranlals 8 litre Bentley will be nice to see up close, sadly the other 8 litre declined . A 1941 Buick limo will soon be leaving Delhi, driving down with night halts at Udaipur and Baroda. Good luck to the plucky entrants and wish them a safe drive to Bombay. That is the way to really enjoy this hobby. All said and done, it will be nice for old friends to meet and exchange views and news. Hopefully this time, brokers will not be seen. In both the earlier shows, brokers freely wandered around, took pictures and then offered the cars for sale.
Bulldogji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 15:13   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Cartier entries have started trickling into the city, local cars are busy getting their final spit and polish, invitations to the dinner on the 9th have been mailed, as have the guest invites. The C type racing jaguar will be one of the nicer cars to observe close up, other hidden treasures will also make for pleasing views. This time , entry is strictly by invitation and invitees please remember to E Mail your acceptance even after you receive your cards, to ensure your badges are prepared to prevent any embarrassing situation at the time of entry. The replica bodied Minerva from Calcutta will be another interesting car to observe at close quarters. Originally having started out in life as a tourer somehow the new body does not appeal ( at least to me) but then , beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder. A good effort though by the restorer and owner to rescue this rare marque. Pranlals 8 litre Bentley will be nice to see up close, sadly the other 8 litre declined . A 1941 Buick limo will soon be leaving Delhi, driving down with night halts at Udaipur and Baroda. Good luck to the plucky entrants and wish them a safe drive to Bombay. That is the way to really enjoy this hobby. All said and done, it will be nice for old friends to meet and exchange views and news. Hopefully this time, brokers will not be seen. In both the earlier shows, brokers freely wandered around, took pictures and then offered the cars for sale.
I request you to kindly share the source and authencity of your research. My interaction with the first owners, Mr. Raha's family and photos supplied by them, as also the production details recieved from the Minerva Club, classify this as a landaulette and not a tourer as mentioned by you.

Note from Mod - Things were getting nasty beyond this post. Please continue this discussion offline

Last edited by ajmat : 4th February 2013 at 13:50.
Yash Ruia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 00:03   #249
BHPian

Hi Yash, Youalso stated earlier on that you had documented evidence that Queen Elizabeth gifted your 1946/47 Rolls. I and many others have seen your lovely Minerva before you were born, we do know the back ground of this car and many others recently DISCOVERED. However, it's your car , if you wish to state that it was always a landaulette, so be it. BUT some of us old timers know better. Please do not think I mean any offence, I am really glad your efforts have saved this car from being scrapped. All the best and congratulations in advance for the Cartier show.
Bulldogji is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 02:08   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Hi Yash, Youalso stated earlier on that you had documented evidence that Queen Elizabeth gifted your 1946/47 Rolls. I and many others have seen your lovely Minerva before you were born, we do know the back ground of this car and many others recently DISCOVERED. However, it's your car , if you wish to state that it was always a landaulette, so be it. BUT some of us old timers know better. Please do not think I mean any offence, I am really glad your efforts have saved this car from being scrapped. All the best and congratulations in advance for the Cartier show.
Dear Bulldogji,

With all due respect of you being an old timer, do drop in at any time convinient to you at my office to allow me to show you all the various photographs which I have to clear your doubts; as I shall not be posting these on the forum as per my promise given to Raha family and a collector from abroad (name witheld on request). The photographs which are self explanatory would also show you the basic differnce in the structre of a landaulette and a tourer. Looking forward to have a cup of coffee with you in my office.
Kind Regards
Yash Ruia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 11:01   #251
BHPian

Thanks Yash, but I really do not need to be shown the difference between a tourer and a landaulette, as you perhaps are aware, I do have the good fortune to own examples of both types. Its your chassis on which you have built a body of your choice, and thats perfectly ok. Ultimately, a good marque has been brought back to life by you and that is really commendable. Many cars have had body style changes over the years, what matters is that thanks to the efforts of the Ghosh family and yours, a Minerva is back running on the roads and has been given a new lease of life. Since you have made promises not to show the photographs, I presume they will not be displayed even at Cartiers? I suggest we let this matter rest, you have your photographs which are not to be made public, and I have my information which make me stand by what I have stated.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 23:14   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Jag C-Type is going to be there!......
Lovely to see a worthy car in India, even if only for a short duration

I wonder if this is a late entry because as I understand one Indian classic car was de-invited. Cartier being on a level of its own inspires new terms to be coined.
I think that among the snazziest Jags in India was the SS 100, there were SS's and SS 90's, but never a C or D type. E types too came in limited numbers, and Cartier dispalyed a chopped coupe last time. Jaguar has graciously displayed this in their show room for all to see. This is probably the car of the show, at least as far as its history and originality goes.

About the Minerva, I don't want to get into this controversy and so am not quoting any posts. But one can check these links on the net:
www.svvs.org/help14.shtml
http://www.svvs.org/genpics7/1919_Minerva_NN_Tourer.jpg

These are quite old sites, not created for this arguement. The car is a worthy car to restore, and Sanjay did a very good job, every one knows that it is rebodied, so whats the fuss? At Cartier there will also be a lot of hunting car stories, just watch when the show is on. A Ford A ex-Ambulance now a hunting car. The problem with the Minerva may well be the tales being attached to it.

Cheers Harit
harit is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 12:33   #253
BHPian

Well, stories after all are stories Harit. My father, uncle and grandfather in their youth regularly went out on hunts/shoots. The cars used by them included a caddillac, and several dodges, some of which are still with us. I wonder if they can be classified as hunting cars?/ They had a rack for guns, a picnic basket for food etc. BUT, they were never manufactured as hunting cars. Local, in house fixtures were made to facilitate hunts, including mounting of huge lamps. Huge because reflectors were weak and lighting was 6 volts. In fact, on one of our dodge tourers, since sold, a manual winch was mounted as well. The Minerva, a fine marque does not require tales to enhance its appeal so I really hope no stories are told. I am informed that it was seen last night on marine drive, moving nicely. Thats really good news considering the state it was in with the earlier owners. It will be interesting to see in which class she will compete. Re bodied or resurrection .I am looking forward to seeing my family Hudson, fresh from a make over in Indore ,Tweety bird tells me that the minerva is post Cartier going to a Bombay restorer . I wonder why? Hope Tweety is wrong this time .
Bulldogji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 12:53   #254
BHPian

A lovely Buick from Delhi made it effortlessly , driven down via Udaipur and Baroda I am told in approximately 30 hours, and will this evening reach the venue where other cars have already begun to be parked. Friends in Bandra managed to see the breathtaking cars from the Kanoria garages also being brought to the Taj without a murmur. I wonder , has this buick been driven the longest distance to reach the Taj or has anyone attempted a longer drive? Full marks to the owner for attempting this journey in a car fresh out of restoration. The only other car I can think of is Fali Dhondy's 20 hp Rolls, which was driven straight after restoration in the rally of the raj from Delhi to Bombay via several places in Rajasthan and Gujarat. If I recall in the year 2000 or thereabouts.
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 16:54   #255
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I had the pleasure of spending an evening with this fine old lady at an exclusive preview held at the Jaguar Showroom. She is here as a out of state visiting dignitary for the cartier event. Much has been written about the car and i will not bore you with details. Only that all participants had a fun and intimate one on one with the car. The room came alive when she was fired up with the unfamiliar high octane whiff of the exhaust fumes filling the showroom- sign of a true blue racing machine. The evening ended with every participant receiving a "Jaguar Classic" calender for 2013. With beautiful paintings based on their historic racing cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-photo06021394624pm.jpg  

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-photo06021394632pm.jpg  

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-photo06021394637pm.jpg  

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-photo06021395028pm.jpg  

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-photo06021395048pm.jpg  

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-photo06021395100pm.jpg  

Attached Images

the mole is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote