Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 12th February 2013, 16:18   #301
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)

I happy to see that Col.Shashidhar's Triumph has been adjudged in the runner-up category. Perhaps the only Vintage Bike from Hyderabad which won a prize.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 16:24   #302
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)

Another point worth noting Ram is that if there were cars from one city / state that were the largest in number then it woould be from Hyderabad.

Starting with the three Nizams veterans, the Salar Jung Merc was there, the Nizams Hubmer was there then the two Herbertsons Fiats, the Darracq and a couple of others.

A few bikes had AP reg plates too.

Am waiting for Karl to post his pictures, DKG, what about you....did you visit and click some keepers ?
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 17:17   #303
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the Cartier Travel In Style Concours D' Elegance 2013 as seen from my lens.

Name:  IMG_9014 Small.JPG
Views: 1644
Size:  206.4 KB
Name:  IMG_8869 Small.JPG
Views: 1534
Size:  102.8 KB

The first day was reserved for Media, and Judges. There were very few people around which made it easier to take pictures without having to ask enthusiasts to move out of the frame. The display was on the pool side lawns of the Taj Land's End, which is a large area in its own but a bit strewn around which is good and not so good in a way. The security was tight, as should be in an event of this expanse but the second day saw many gate crashers...far too many of them. And to think it was so easy to get it, i did not get either of my two sons who were dying to see the exhibition. Well next time i told them....i hope!!
A Very well organized event, i must add. The arrangements were top notch. They were far superior to those at from the 1st event in RWITC in Mumbai. Im told was also better than the one held last in the North, which i could not attend unfortunately. The hotel authorities were all on their feet, courteous, prim and proper. There were enough water stations and stewards carrying water, soft drinks, umbrellas and napkins for the visitors. Yes it was a sunny day, a sudden turn of events from the wonderful weather we had been having lately and had almost forgot we were in hot and humid Bombay. So full marks for the event organization, display and hotel participation.
At the entrance of the Poolside lawns the two Pre War beauties welcomed you.

Pre-War cabriolets and tourers:

Zahir Vakil's 1939 Buick Roadmaster All Weather Cabriolet with body by Fisher and the Elegant 1936 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 85 All Weather Cabriolet owned by Ram Prakash Aggarwal

Name:  IMG_8686 Small.JPG
Views: 1725
Size:  122.8 KB
Name:  IMG_8696 Small.JPG
Views: 1724
Size:  124.5 KBName:  IMG_8700 Small.JPG
Views: 1572
Size:  88.4 KB
Name:  IMG_8689 Small.JPG
Views: 1683
Size:  113.1 KB
Name:  IMG_8690 Small.JPG
Views: 1607
Size:  120.6 KB
Name:  IMG_8695 Small.JPG
Views: 1470
Size:  75.8 KB

Vivek Goenka's good enough to eat 1933 Studebaker commander all weather cabriolet was a stunner. Perfect paint job, perfect everything with an album showing the restoration. All the white metal and chrome parts including the monogrammed hubcaps were all manufactured indigenously. Commendable. This was one of my favourites from the Pre-War Cabriolet category. Vivek is a wonderful person, warm and gentle and will eagerly share with you his knowledge of cars and parts. Mind you, all of his cars are restored and rebuilt in his own workshop.

Name:  IMG_8705 Small.JPG
Views: 1550
Size:  76.3 KB
Name:  IMG_8703 Small.JPG
Views: 1520
Size:  106.0 KB
Name:  IMG_8704 Small.JPG
Views: 1512
Size:  112.0 KB
Name:  IMG_8706 Small.JPG
Views: 1552
Size:  117.8 KB

The Man and his machine.

Name:  IMG_8867 Small.JPG
Views: 2183
Size:  117.7 KB

The beautiful 1922 14hp Sunbeam owned by Dr. Ravi Prakash, one of his many entries in this event. He has an enviable collection which has to be seen to be believed.

Name:  IMG_8664 Small.JPG
Views: 1669
Size:  125.1 KB
Name:  IMG_8665 Small.JPG
Views: 1494
Size:  119.1 KB

This 1921 Lanchester 40hp tourer was one of the entries by Herbertsons Ltd. This long tourer is certainly an eye catcher.

Name:  IMG_8651 Small.JPG
Views: 1824
Size:  146.5 KB
Name:  IMG_8868 Small.JPG
Views: 1709
Size:  137.2 KB

The well recognized Johdpur Rollos Royce. This 1934 Phantom II needs no introduction. Proudly owned from new by the Jodhpur royal family, the present owner HH Maharaja Gaj Singh of Jodhpur had taken pains to see it is kept in its pristine and concours winning condition.

Name:  IMG_8657 Small.JPG
Views: 3614
Size:  128.8 KB
Name:  IMG_8656 Small.JPG
Views: 1503
Size:  129.4 KB
Name:  IMG_8662 Small.JPG
Views: 1399
Size:  157.9 KB
V-16 is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 18:40   #304
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
DKG, what about you....did you visit and click some keepers ?
Cartier doesn't believe I am enthusiast enough to warrant an invite
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 22:39   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Cartier doesn't believe I am enthusiast enough to warrant an invite
It isn't just this event, but the vintage & classic automobile hobby at large, that has increasingly become a hang-about for posers now - even the term 'enthusiast' holds differing connotations as far as I am concerned. While some people, as in the case of your good self, may be enthusiastic about the automobile, a multitude of others are actually more enthusiastic about the attendant glamour that has come to be associated with this pursuit. And that is palpable amongst sections of our forum here as well!

Anyway, so as not to make this too long-drawn, I know many people (well-heeled posers most of them, of course but also beneficiaries of and from the trade!) who went to this edition in Mumbai from Delhi without a primary invite, either by wrangling one, gatecrashing or by procuring a pass from those behind the show! I had an invite for the last event in Delhi, which took me by surprise, a rather pleasant one at that I must say and I remain grateful for it. I didn't have one for this edition, and since I'm not one to ask for one, even though I don't even really have to do the fawning myself, but just indicate obliquely to some people who would then ensure that I got one pronto, I didn't go. Simple as that! Nobody is more, or less deserving to have been there, is how I look at it. If you got invited, you merited being there. If you wrangled your visit, well, the world works that way too!

Thanks to all who have shared their pictures, and narratives of the event (whether posted already, or coming ahead)! Cheers!
Prabal is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 23:01   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Welcome to the Cartier Travel In Style Concours D' Elegance 2013 as seen from my lens.

Pre-War cabriolets and tourers:

Vivek Goenka's good enough to eat 1933 Studebaker commander all weather cabriolet was a stunner. Perfect paint job, perfect everything with an album showing the restoration. All the white metal and chrome parts including the monogrammed hubcaps were all manufactured indigeneously. Commendable. This was one of my favourites from the Pre-War Cabriolet category. Vivek is a wonderful person, warm and gentle and will eagerly share with you his knowledge of cars and parts. Mind you, all of his cars are restored and rebuilt in his own workshop.

Attachment 1050080
Attachment 1050082
Attachment 1050083
Attachment 1050081

The Man and his machine.

Attachment 1050084
I had seen this Studebaker in a ramshackle condition (no paint but some dark greenish bits and pieces of paintwork- tough to recognise) when it was brought to Nagpur more than a year back.
The mechanical restoration work was done at M/s Shree Automobiles, Nagpur, and was sent back to Mumbai for body restoration work.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 12th February 2013 at 23:04.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 23:08   #307
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Nobody is more, or less deserving to have been there
and you wonder if I wonder?

I am just happy to see cars being maintained so well. The level of restoration seems to be going up every year and this is great news. And by restoration I don't mean the usual cosmetic dolling up. Many owners right here on tbhp are driving their cars on long drives and having fun doing so. Overall its all moving in the right direction

Poser, non poser, genuine enthusiast or politician or scumbag it really doesn't matter who the owners are. Ultimately what matters is people have fun with their cars and ensure these beauties pass onto the next generation in as good health as possible.
DKG is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 23:37   #308
BHPian

Quote:
I am just happy to see cars being maintained so well. The level of restoration seems to be going up every year and this is great news. And by restoration I don't mean the usual cosmetic dolling up. Many owners right here on tbhp are driving their cars on long drives and having fun doing so.
Couldn't agree with you more on all of that. The last bit is especially heartening, and I'm envious of the Bombay-Poona gang for making a habit of it. Also, the Fiat gangs.

Quote:
Overall its all moving in the right direction
This I'm not so sure of - it isn't inclusive enough overall, yet, IMO. The automobile is still not king, individuals and their vested interests are.

Quote:
Poser, non poser, genuine enthusiast or politician or scumbag it really doesn't matter who the owners are. Ultimately what matters is people have fun with their cars and ensure these beauties pass onto the next generation in as good health as possible.
Yes, agree with the last sentence, but if that happens with genuine enthusiasts proliferating more than scumbags/douches (profession/vocation in either case notwithstanding - why politician, even a dealer is cool by me, really, as long as he's an enthusiast and is upfront!), it would be a lot more palatable for me personally - it's nice if the other guy can talk about the automobile he's steering! Having said that, the crowd and it's composition doesn't bother me so much at the end of the day. I'm happy keeping my own counsel, and also heading out for a drive with one of my steed all by myself, if need be!

EDIT: Btw, I wasn't talking about only the owners, at this, or any other event, in the previous post (#305); I had visitors in mind too. And, certain visitors more so at this event, from Delhi that I know about - not from any other place, since I know what floats the boats only here (the sad state of affairs of the Yamuna, notwithstanding)!!

Last edited by Prabal : 12th February 2013 at 23:56.
Prabal is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 00:12   #309
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
This I'm not so sure of - it isn't inclusive enough overall, yet, IMO. The automobile is still not king, individuals and their vested interests are.
But its a small group of bandicoots that are sitting on car collections or information about cars that appear to have ascribed much of the glory of the automobiles they purport to be passionate about to themselves.

I just have only one thing to say, thank god for the world's graveyards to be full of such indispensable people !!

I gave up wanting to sort through such muck long time ago. Instead I have found fresh spirit in my biking buddies where ego's don't come in the way of gear changes and we simply end up having a riot. Just came back from a rollicking time from Goa for the Harley meet. The Bombay Poona drives are that breath of fresh air on the vintage car scene.

Last edited by DKG : 13th February 2013 at 00:13.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 00:43   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

Cartier 2013 This years premier vintage and classic car event kicked off in style with the anticipation that it was suppose to build between all of us. Predications and guess work was on between all of us as to what was going to be show cased finally. The silence was broken when the cars started lining up in and around the Taj Lands End Bombay. All cars were nicely displayed and the Cartier team should be given credit for the effort. Though the two tier format was a little too tedious but good show.

Most of what I had penned earlier was already voiced and put by fellow bhpians and many beat me to uploading of snaps and their descriptions. Appreciate the efficiency and the quality of snaps in detail also. Restoration levels were high and for some in great detail. A good learning for all of us. Met many Bhpians, fellow enthusiasts, collectors big and small, and great friends of this ever growing fraternity. Many a laugh between all of us and a few great punted jokes between all, which made the show even greater fun. A big thank you to team Cartier and the Taj for being extremely hospitable and hosts. Thumbs up

Now in the over all results of cars which won and bagged their category prizes there were many a surprises and many disappointments. The result that did shake me was the main prize of best of show which went to the RR jodhpur 1 many paint scruffs in the car and many a shortcuts visible to the uncanny eye or to a novice. An older restoration clearly visible no doubt a great coach work. Not worthy for the grand prize but for its lineage of regal owners. My other such question comes of a 1940 series 90 L featured in the preservation class which clearly showed the car has been repainted once then why not feature the 1951 Bentley mark 6 which was in a similar shape and with a higher pedigree overall. The care this owner takes is remarkable a great learning to all we youngsters. There was one outstanding Cadillac from Hyderabad which had a grace I cannot define. Like it came out of a box got dusted and appeared . Just like a school boy neat and tidy on the first day of school.

The winners of the postwar category both rightful and the 1950 Ford of Mr Tanna a great example of detail and learning for all of us and he should share this with everyone that research is important. The 1954 Cadillac beautiful and very nicely restored and hope the new owners use this car to its worth.

Limousines of the vintage and classic era were always accessorised with either gold, crystal or many an era's accessories. Always bring a question as to what lies inside the rear and what secrets to they have to tell of the by gone era . The series 90L of Mr Titus was a clear example and presented in its full glory except for the colour but that's an owners choice in the end a judges panel to decide.

The Indian heritage class was a class that was quite shocking on the winners. The Chevy fleetmaster and fiat 500 winning was not clear and not deserving winners and I am sure it's voiced by all. The dodge of Mr Mehta and presidents Fiat winners by a long arm actually a very long arm I am to short to make this statement on long arms. their clean and clear original examples make them rightfully prize winners .

The roadsters class ?? I really don't know what to say. The MGA nice complete and clean but in pedigree the Healey of Dr Ravi Prakash was well deserving over this car. No desrespect to the owner of the MGA . The Adler Trumpf was finely detailed to its correct specifications with limited information. It's rightful to win its prizes.

Now coming to the Edwardian class and the cars represented. Very grand and all with large top hats once under cover. The Napiers were grand and fantastic restorations. I am sure both deserve prizes but the stage would not hold eight tons of combined weight if they had to get together on that platform. . The Darraq, Wolseley and Minerva looked dwarfed to their sheer size. The throne looked like a little sprucing was done and looked a tad better than Delhi.

The 1933 Studebaker of Mr Goenka was one hell of a head turner and showed that India has talent and where there is a will there is a way. His dedication to near perfection should be appreciated by us all and we definitely need his insights into the restoration. One of the best restoration the country has produced. The question does linger on all of our heads on then choice of award it got . This is what I think the judges who might have thought that many a part on that particular car and its rarity which was perfectly reproduced to near perfection by him and his team deserve the category award. The car was perfect and brought to very high standards in comparison to other cars. The Minerva and Hudson were and well deserving to be at least be credited by Cartier in their right and might for the restorers and owners who have brought such magnificent machines back to life and correct respected glory of their marques.

Another beauty which did not compete was Ragtop's Rolls ... Loss of words every time I see it. And now after this dedicated team effort of restoring the car to its original spec is just mind blowing and hats off to you ragtop. Salute !

India's and one of the worlds greatest collector Mr Bhogilal was duly given his acknowledgment and correct homage in the midst of all who respected what he had done for the movement and fellow enthusiasts. His cars displayed showed the little glimpses of his wonderful collection. Hope to see more of them around at many such events.

My knowledge of bikes is limited and not in depth as to cars but what I saw lined up were magnificent machines and with really great lineage and pedigree. The Manx was a big eye opener on its history. Mr Naths Harley was a deserving winner all round and correct in all respect of deserving the best of show.

The momentos handed across to owners was envious and a very thoughtful prize by Cartier for displaying and taking part in the show.

The Shikaar class ! Many of these cars were over accessorised but remember just like the royals who we see in snaps and various portraits in palaces had one to many pieces of items on them just like these cars. Authenticity of this category is difficult and was their sheer whims and fancy. The real truth cannot be pinpointed unless the vehicle was and bearing correct documents from the beginning. Only truth is that such means of mobility did exist.

My views are debatable and just voiced what were my thoughts. Look forward to the next one !

Cheers
kasli is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 11:16   #311
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the great coverage guys!

I'm putting up a few images, class wise.

Edwardian Class

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-ed01.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-ed02.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-ed03.jpg

Pre War Classics

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwc01.jpg
Shrivardhan's striking Rolls 20hp, I think bodied by Stewart in Calcutta

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwc02.jpg
Alvis Speed 25

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwc03.jpg
Rolls Royce Wraith, ex Baroda, in present owner's family since the 1970s.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwc04.jpg
Rolls Royce PII by Windovers, Jodhpur.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwc05.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwc06.jpg
Note the very neat drop down running boards - give a clean, sleek look to the car.

Pre War Classics - All Weather

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-all01.jpg
1922 Sunbeam from Bangalore

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-all02.jpg
1933 Studebaker Commander of Vivek Goenka - much praise has been showered on the quality of restoration, and I second it, having seen it come up over the last few months. Kudos to Vivek for making it happen.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-all03.jpg
I believe just a handful like this survive globally.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-all04.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-all05.jpg
Attential to detail on fabrication was astounding - look at the intricacies on the wheelcap - completely fabricated from scratch.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-all06.jpg
Rajkot Rolls looked royal indeed.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-all07.jpg
No missing that this was a Rajkot car

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-all08.jpg
Cadillac from Hyderabad

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-all09.jpg
My favorite Buick from Zaheer Vakil's enviable collection.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-alll10.jpg
Lovely art deco dash

Pre War Classics - Tourer

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-tourer01.jpg
Lanchester was ex Gondal

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-tourer02.jpg
Chrysler came down from Delhi

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-tourer03.jpg
Hudson looked great - reportedly the only survivor of its kind.

Pre War Classics - Limousines

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-limo01.jpg
Rolls from Sanghi collection - presumably ex Darbhanga?

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-limo02.jpg
Mercedes Manheim

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-limo03.jpg
Daimler has been with the Gore family for years. Previously a state car.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-limo04.jpg
Mercedes was ex Salar Jung of Hyderabad

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-limo05.jpg
Buick from Titus collection

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-limo06.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-limo07.jpg
This 1940 Buick drove down from Delhi for the event - and still looked smashing. Full marks.
karlosdeville is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 11:39   #312
Team-BHP Support

Post War Classic - American

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa01.jpg
1947 Dodge convertible has been in long term ownership, I'm told having been bought from the Hirachand family

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa02.jpg
Packard Clipper Coupe sported new plates and some accessories, and looked much more attractive.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa03.jpg
Packard Clipper sedan came from the Dungarpur stables, originally being a Bikaner car.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa04.jpg
1947 Buick Super was part of Zaheer Vakil's Buick collection, acquired from the Bansda royal family.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa05.jpg
1949 Cadillac convertible

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa06.jpg
1949 Chevy convertible turned out superb.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa07.jpg
Special mention and additional detailed photos are a must for Amal's Ford - the car simply blew me away. A clear display of Amal's passion and talent, and of course, in no small part also for the restorer.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa08.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa09.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa10.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa11.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa12.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa14.jpg
Which one looks cooler?

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa13.jpg
The judges too I'm sure would have had an enjoyable time with this car.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa15.jpg
Lincoln Cosmopolitan I think was ex Jamnagar.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa16.jpg
Cadillac was ex Morvi.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa17.jpg
Studebaker of Capt. Bhujwalla. This was actually the first time I saw the car, though heard so much about it.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa18.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa19.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwa20.jpg

Post War Classic - European

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwe01.jpg
Jaguar saloon of Yash Ruia

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwe02.jpg
Daimler was ex Mysore, and came down from Bangalore

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwe03.jpg
Humber sporting new color scheme - a darker shade perhaps would have been more apt.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwe04.jpg
Invicta Black Prince is a real rarity - and in the current family since the 1960s, being ex Mysore and Gondal in the past.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwe05.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwe06.jpg
1951 Bentley Mk VI (ex Mysore) is an old favorite of mine. Lovingly cared for all these years (since '55 with the same owners)

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwe07.jpg
Original pink interiors

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwe08.jpg
Original tools

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwe09.jpg
Even the Mysore key tag '72' is still attached.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pwe10.jpg
Mercedes 300 of Jasdanwalla
karlosdeville is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 11:59   #313
Team-BHP Support

Roadster Pre War

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-prer01.jpg
Fiat 501 Corsa - a well deserved win.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-prer02.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-prer03.jpg
Saw this Austin last in 1993! Great to see it out again.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-prer04.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-prer05.jpg
Another boat tail Fiat from the Mallya collection, this time a Balila

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-prer06.jpg
Adler Trumpf Juniour Sport - I remember being fascinated with the front wheel drive layout and independant rear suspension set up when I was in school, apprenticing at the workshop that initially restored the car.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-prer07.jpg
The lines are captivating, the car has really turned out well.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-prer08.jpg
MG PA

Roadster Post War
MGs dominated here, alongwith an Austin Healey

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-poswr01.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-poswr02.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-poswr03.jpg

Preservation

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pres01.jpg
Cadillac from Titus collection was ex Raipur

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pres02.jpg
Ford cabriolet was from the Nizam's trust

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pres03.jpg
Rolls Royce Phantom II, with the state of Kalahandi from new. Intricate work on the interiors, though I do not have images unfortunately.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pres04.jpg
Recieving the prize

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pres05.jpg
1938 Packard

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pres06.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pres07.jpg
The bare door panels revealed an interesting plate

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pres08.jpg
Buick Limousine must have had an overcoat at some point, but interiors looked untouched.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-pres09.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 12:23   #314
Team-BHP Support

Indian Heritage

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-i01.jpg
1947 (grille is 47 or 48?) Chevy Fleetmaster was well finished, and took top honours

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-i02.jpg
Adil's lovely 1949 Fiat 500 took runner up. I wonder if anyone got a picture of Lapo Elkann (heir to the Agnelli family) standing with the Fiat in his matching bright red suit

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-i03.jpg
Bulldogji's Dodge, in the family from new

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-i04.jpg
Clean water was thrown out the exhause - signs of a healthy engine I'm told.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-i05.jpg
Next gen Kingsway of Pheroze Mehta

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-i06.jpg
My Landmaster - finally reached in the nick of time (with rare 2-speed transmission)

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-i07.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-i08.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-i09.jpg
Our dearest Rony's Fiat was an absolute stunner - but what else can we expect from him.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-i10.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-i11.jpg
I saw an Amby Traveller for the first time (we've seen a few Landmasters in the past).
Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-i12.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-i13.jpg
Original upholstry on the split front seat.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-i14.jpg
A lovely vehicle, complete with picnic accessories

Shikar Class

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-sh01.jpg
1926 Chrysler was ex Darbhanga, and brilliant restoration by Vivek Goenka.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-sh02.jpg
That colour scheme on nickel fittings (no chrome anywhere) looks like a million bucks

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-sh03.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-sh04.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-sh05.jpg
Model A Ford

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-sh06.jpg
Fordson attended from Pune

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-sh07.jpg
Bikaner Buick from Titus

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-sh08.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-sh09.jpg
Dungarpur Chevy pickup in full shikaar livery took top honours.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-sh10.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-sh11.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-sh12.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-sh13.jpg

I must say that though most of these vehicles have probably had all these accessories added recently, they were a treat to see.
Old 13th February 2013, 12:37   #315
Team-BHP Support

Exhibition Class

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-ex01.jpg
Antem Bentley donned a new look (possibly the original?)

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-ex02.jpg
Amir's Rolls we know all too well, and took me completely by surprise when I saw the colour scheme - I had made up my mind that I wouldn't like it, but seeing it in person we can deduce the good people at Gurney Nutting knew what they were doing

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-ex03.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-ex04.jpg
A preferred angle to highlight the lines

Pranlal Bhogilal Collection
It was truly wonderful to see some of Bhogilal's cars spruced up and on display.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-bh01.jpg
Rolls Royce Phantom III, ex Nabha

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-bh02.jpg
8 Litre Bentley

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-bh03.jpg
The Invicta particularly caught my attention. Pleasing colour scheme.

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-bh04.jpg
Mercedes 300SC, fuel injected, ex Sikkim. A friend mentioned the car was for sale in the 1960s for 70,000 rupees. They offered 68,000, and lost the deal to Pranlal

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-bh05.jpg

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-bh06.jpg
Pranlal's daughter recieved the prize, piloted by their faithful driver of many years.