Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 18th February 2013, 14:15   #346
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)

Prizes given away.... a proud moment for all those involved

The Rajkot Rolls aka "Star Of India" is one hell of a looker. Chrome bling but not overstated. Bravo to the Yuvraj of Rajkot for having it bought back to our country.

Name:  IMG_9196 Small.JPG
Views: 1065
Size:  114.6 KB
Name:  IMG_9197 Small.JPG
Views: 1034
Size:  125.3 KB
Name:  IMG_9201 Small.JPG
Views: 956
Size:  132.1 KB
Name:  IMG_9202 Small.JPG
Views: 906
Size:  115.8 KB
Name:  IMG_9203 Small.JPG
Views: 888
Size:  101.0 KB

The other beauties and their proud owners also graced the stage
Attached Images

V-16 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 14:40   #347
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)

The Titus Buick was a beauty no one could get their eyes off.

Name:  IMG_9212 Small.JPG
Views: 839
Size:  75.2 KB
Name:  IMG_9214 Small.JPG
Views: 850
Size:  89.0 KB
Name:  IMG_9217 Small.JPG
Views: 835
Size:  94.7 KB
Name:  IMG_9220 Small.JPG
Views: 843
Size:  110.8 KB

The Herbertsons Fiat Corsa and Samir Kadam's Adler and shared a prize

Name:  IMG_9245 Small.JPG
Views: 818
Size:  102.6 KB
Name:  IMG_9246 Small.JPG
Views: 818
Size:  78.6 KB
Name:  IMG_9247 Small.JPG
Views: 816
Size:  107.6 KB
Name:  IMG_9249 Small.JPG
Views: 830
Size:  116.2 KB
Name:  IMG_9253 Small.JPG
Views: 805
Size:  84.3 KB
Name:  IMG_9252 Small.JPG
Views: 826
Size:  110.1 KB

While the beauties poured in to collect their trophies
Attached Images

V-16 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 15:03   #348
Senior - BHPian

The Vivek Goenka owned Duo stole many hearts and awards. The Chrysler won a special prize from the Judge's wives and women judges. Looks like the Chrysler turned out to be a charmer as its owner

Name:  IMG_9323 Small.JPG
Views: 832
Size:  85.8 KB
Name:  IMG_9327 Small.JPG
Views: 816
Size:  112.4 KB
Name:  IMG_9338 Small.JPG
Views: 810
Size:  96.7 KB
Name:  IMG_9340 Small.JPG
Views: 823
Size:  103.5 KB
Name:  IMG_9350 Small.JPG
Views: 842
Size:  88.0 KB
Name:  IMG_9353 Small.JPG
Views: 797
Size:  87.3 KB
Name:  IMG_9357 Small.JPG
Views: 801
Size:  101.5 KB

The Concours D' Elegance Winners.

Name:  IMG_9375 Small.JPG
Size:  95.1 KB
Name:  IMG_9380 Small.JPG
Views: 785
Size:  104.9 KB
Name:  IMG_9364 Small.JPG
Views: 780
Size:  81.0 KB
Name:  IMG_9367 Small.JPG
Views: 776
Size:  99.7 KB

The other winners in various classes
Attached Images

V-16 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 15:25   #349
Senior - BHPian

So it was a final Adieu to the 2013 Cartier Event. Great event, spectacular vehicles, very well organized and the Hotel played perfect hosts dishing out some good food, chilled water and drinks for every thirsty person, umbrellas galore for one and all to protect themselves from the sun, every small detail worked out and what not. 100 marks out of 100 to Taj Lands End and the Taj Group.

Amir Jetha's fantastic 1935 Rolls Royce Phantom II Continental showcased in the Exhibition class from a new perspective.

Name:  IMG_9121 Small.JPG
Views: 857
Size:  99.3 KB
Name:  IMG_9123 Small.JPG
Size:  109.5 KB
Name:  IMG_9124 Small.JPG
Views: 925
Size:  116.5 KB
Name:  IMG_9120 Small.JPG
Views: 840
Size:  115.8 KB
Name:  IMG_9119 Small.JPG
Views: 852
Size:  133.3 KB
Name:  IMG_9126 Small.JPG
Views: 811
Size:  112.9 KB
Name:  IMG_9127 Small.JPG
Views: 803
Size:  94.6 KB

Seen here are some of my favourite cars and people, many many happy faces and the final moments of a great Event. Looking forward to the next show, I hope i do not have to gate crash in on that one
Attached Images

V-16 is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 15:35   #350
Senior - BHPian

So its goodbye from me and the last batch of my pics. If any owners would like a Hi-Res copy of these pics, please email or call me for the same. Ill be glad to email them to you.

Next time around, hope to see more cars and bikes, hopefully even those which were left out for various reasons. Ciao.

Name:  IMG_9077 Small.JPG
Views: 827
Size:  137.8 KB

Name:  IMG_9075 Small.JPG
Views: 855
Size:  130.5 KB

Name:  IMG_9084 Small.JPG
Views: 805
Size:  124.8 KB

Name:  IMG_9135 Small.JPG
Views: 801
Size:  131.4 KB

Name:  IMG_9421 Small.JPG
Views: 770
Size:  117.0 KB

Name:  IMG_9433 Small.JPG
Views: 793
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:  IMG_9437 Small.JPG
Views: 779
Size:  132.3 KB

Name:  IMG_9405 Small.JPG
Views: 768
Size:  82.5 KB

Name:  IMG_9436 Small.JPG
Views: 781
Size:  120.7 KB

===========================F I N==========================
V-16 is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 21:16   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Which one is the "MMD-55" Bentley ? Thanks
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 22:11   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Which one is the "MMD-55" Bentley ? Thanks
Yes thats a Bentley S type interestingly Left Hand Drive

Cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by kasli : 18th February 2013 at 22:15.
kasli is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 01:03   #353
BHPian

Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Hi everybody.
Here is a few photographs from Taj Land's End vintage show.
Includes 1949 500cc Fiat,1951 shikar class Chevrolet and 2 Rolls Royces.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML

A few more from Midday(10 th Feb 2013)

http://epaper2.mid-day.com/showtext....&edd123=Mumbai

See th Augusta and Norton Manx motorcycles and the well maitained Studebaker,1935 Bentley sports and 1947 Imperial Grouse hunting Buick
Enjoy
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 11:35   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Cartier 2013 This years premier vintage and classic car event kicked off in style ................Now in the over all results of cars which won and bagged their category prizes there were many a surprises and many disappointments. The result that did shake me was the main prize of best of show which went to the RR jodhpur 1 many paint scruffs in the car and many a shortcuts visible to the uncanny eye or to a novice. An older restoration clearly visible no doubt a great coach work. Not worthy for the grand prize but for its lineage of regal owners. ...................................... The 1933 Studebaker of Mr Goenka was one hell of a head turner and showed that India has talent and where there is a will there is a way. His dedication to near perfection should be appreciated by us all and we definitely need his insights into the restoration. One of the best restoration the country has produced. The question does linger on all of our heads on then choice of award it got . This is what I think the judges who might have thought that many a part on that particular car and its rarity which was perfectly reproduced to near perfection by him and his team deserve the category award. The car was perfect and brought to very high standards in comparison to other cars. The Minerva and Hudson were and well deserving to be at least be credited by Cartier in their right and might for the restorers and owners who have brought such magnificent machines back to life and correct respected glory of their marques........................Cheers
At this event there were several prizes which raised eyebrows, including mine. I did try to predict prize winners, and was not too bad considering I had no entry list of cars and owners. Which is why I forgot about Vijay Mallya, I would have included his name. The photos were pasted later. And I had no intention of being on the phone with friends who were at the Taj, asking details. Once kept out, I stayed out in all respects

The main prize went to the Jodhpur Rolls, and this is justifiable after I got some insights. This is a Cartier prize dealing with lifestyle, history, royalty, body styling, elegance etc. The car has one family ownership since new. I am sure that there are more adjectives available. The Mysore Bentley was a possible competitor, but its not old enough, and styling is not as dashing, and categories are different. There was no better car present at this celebration than this. I would have liked to take home the Studebaker, or those Napiers, and some others, but these cars are not what Cartier stands for. Yes, the Rolls was a bit shabby, one would have hoped that the car was spruced up for the event, why did that not happen?
Another emphasis was that the cars should be restored in India, so the "Star" lost out. Another potential winner was not invited but even that would not have won the prize because of the restoration. Cartier could have explained their criteria more clearly, what they are looking for, perhaps they even did, but not all got the message.

Resurrection prize, well when I heard that the Studebaker got it, my first thought was that Nitin Dossa's Hudson was robbed of a prize. That seems obvious till again I got some insight into the restoration of that car. The Studebaker was a complete car in terms of important parts availability, it was a complete car, missing minor bits and pieces (even minor missing bits can be a headache to source). But then it was rebuilt to better than new, with huge pains taken to perfect everything. And all these pains were documented, I heard a story of about 100 wheelcaps being made just to get 6 right(and maybe have a few spares if they ever fall off or get lifted). The judges saw pictures of the car disassembled, and then the painstaken assembly. They had no choice but to give this award here, and in my opinion formed now, it was the correct decision.
The Hudson was also a complete car when obtained, it was junked by the owner and then rebuilt by Raju which again was highly creditable. But see those headlight glasses, detailing seems to be lacking at places. And presentation apparently too. His Bentley got the prize wrongly at the first Cartier by lying that it was a junk car, that time Doc was robbed of a prize for his Delage. Somewhere I see poetic justice being meted out

Lesson learnt is that cars should be well done, but documentation and presentation is very very important. After the 1st Cartier event I spoke about entrants selling their cars to judges, this is what I mean and it applies today also. If one is keen he could try to learn from Vivek and Amal.

I doubt that the Jodhpur Rolls required presentation or had any, it spoke for itself and got the coveted prize. And it did not have competition.

About other prizes maybe I would comment later.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 19th February 2013 at 11:42.
harit is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 17:48   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Another plus point of this show (there may not be many more) is an upcoming restorer from Bangalore. I believe that he restored the Napiers at Manvinder's place. Beautiful, I have put photos of pre and post restoration for comparison. Here I disagree with DKG, these cars now run
The restorers name is Christopher, his dad whom I have met has a few cars himself. Its more difficult to restore Veteran and Edwardian cars, and the restoration effort here was a huge success for me.

But Christopher was also the person who selected Docs cars, the choice could definitely have been better.

And that is where I feel sad, the Cartier event has divided the Vintage and Classic Cars community in India. Those whose cars were selected to those whose cars were not, those invited to view against those who were not invited, those whose cars were judged to those whose cars were not. Surprisingly, all cars were not judged. In these things many scores were settled, but were they really? Time will tell.

But for the moment, let us admire the Napiers, an example of what this should have been about but sadly wasn't.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-nap1.jpg  

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-nap3.jpg  

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-nap2.jpg  

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-nap4.jpg  

harit is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 21:24   #356
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I believe that he restored the Napiers at Manvinder's place. Beautiful, I have put photos of pre and post restoration for comparison. Here I disagree with DKG, these cars now run
Harit these cars were a glimpse into what 100 plus year cars actually look like, and that's been lost forever. I was invited to a viewing at the palace now that they have returned and must say while the wooden wheel Napier looks better with the roof repaired the saloon which was the most spectacular of the entire lot of cars actually looks garish and tacky.

I am sorry but I do stick to my original view that both the Nizam's estate and the restorer made a colossal mistake by restoring these cars. They undid something very precious about these cars, a 100 year aged look. Left as is these five cars were worth travelling across the world to come and see. Now if you want to see a restored Napier I am sure there are a few in Europe and USA all spruced up and shiny, why come to Hyderabad?

Having said that now that the damage is done permanently lets look at the positive side. Would love to hear the Napiers engines started, does anyone have a video of that? The saloon was such a magnificent car.

Last edited by DKG : 20th February 2013 at 21:28.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 17:10   #357

Smile Re: Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subodh Nath View Post
I had seen these cars before restoration and after also. I think marvelous job done by Trio and in time.
I must also comment about you and your effort Subodh because not many in the forum know the fact that you spent near about 16 years to get your Indian restored! I met Aslam in Indore recently for the first time when passing by thanks to an introduction by a mutual friend. It was there I learnt about the painstaking work done to bring the whole machine literally back from the death.

Your Indian's resurrection and its overall victory indicates that effort is always recognised even if there are many other highly glamourous contenders but then you only wanted to share your pleasure with others

Last edited by GTO : 26th February 2013 at 14:43. Reason: Removing offensive flamebait. No need to get personal on Team-BHP
vincentcomet99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 17:28   #358

The Rajkot rolls was meant to go to pebble beach but was discouraged, perhaps to give the RESTORED IN INDIA cars a chance. In return offered a place at Cartier. Rest is still hush hush, at least for us commoners.

I may be a recent entrant into the forum but surely I would like to state that no serious event of this kind anywhere in the world announces to one and sundry that it is inviting candidates from here there and everywhere. Of course if there is a discreet inquiry sent your way or mine then we feel fortunate but by the same yardstick if I or someone else doesn't get a call it shouldn't mean the organisers have wielded the axe and done a hatchet job on us non-entities!

Maybe a change of mindset from all concerned needs to be factored in and it begins and ends with every one of us individually.

Harit has certainly found an interesting bugbear for our movement and whether it has affected all of us or not I am sure that the subject of re-registering vehicles is one of incalculable harm. I know of at least two vehicles where the owners have re-registered with new numbers but at recent events came out with their original number plates. Case in point being Jehangir Foroogh's AJS race bike from the mid-1920s and also Adil Darukhanawala's Fiat Topolino. Both of them have had to re-register their machines in Bombay and Poona but keeping the event and the period in mind they ventured forth with the original registration numbers. Nothing illegal about that because it was a display only event.

I think owners must also move with the times and maybe have their fair share of provenance intact. But yes Harit makes a valid point and maybe we ought to have a proper vintage and classic car register - a register and not a club mind you otherwise the thought would get hijacked, just for the sake for posterity.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd February 2013 at 18:31.
vincentcomet99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 22:19   #359
BHPian

Hi everybody
Today's Overdrive show of CNBC TV 18 had live coverage from the above exhibition.
It also had an interview with Stirling Moss.It was telecast at 17.30 hours.
Somehow I cant navigate the website to give a link.Sorry.
If you are interested please log on and see the beauties.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 14:31   #360
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here's a video I found on the tube:

GTO is offline   Reply With Quote