Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 28th February 2013, 16:31   #361
BHPian

Default Re: Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Some concluding sights and sounds

Attachment 1050695
1952 Le Mans winning C-Type Jag was brought down for the event. Missed an image of Sir Stirling Moss with the car though.
One of my most cherished moments. Got lucky with no one cluttering the frame. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-unknown.jpeg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th February 2013 at 17:10. Reason: Fixing quote & typo.
Automaton is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 17:14   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)

A small insight to the workings of Cartier circus managers

When I started this thread on 18th Feb 2012, I did mention I am unlikely to be a part of it.

Subsequently, around middle of June 2012, there was a “Press Release from Cartier”, in which it was stated “…………….Therefore, a new entry procedure has been put in place for all future Cartier Concours d’Elegances in India. If you would like to participate in the next Cartier ‘Travel With Style’ Concours, could you kindly mail full details of your vehicle/s with recent photographs to - concoursindia@gmail.com. These details will then be forwarded to London for final selection which will be made by our highly experienced panel of automotive judges headed by the Chief Judge H.R.H. Prince Michael of Kent and Cartier’s Curator Manvendra Singh of Barwani.

I really believed that there is a new procedure in place, and hence submitted my application for my Dodge Custom Royal.
This I did after speaking to a few friends, some of whom commented that this "new" procedure may have been put in place after my comments on the second Cartier event on t-bhp.
Please see
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...11-a.html page (Cartier "Travel with Style" Concourse d' Elegance 2011) 3 post 32 onwards. If one has the time, please read all the posts and have fun. Then compare this with the 2013 event and many things become more clear.

I may never know if they really met in London and how many times, but I know for sure that some of the cars present and participating had not even applied. In some cases it was understood that selected cars are entered, in other cases the owners were surprised to be invited without an application. So much for the “new” entry procedure. I believe that the committee must have met again in December in London just to invite a certain 1955 Dodge. The strange part is that the Dodge owner did not apply, yet he was asked for a convertible and when informed that it was not made in India, they asked for his saloon which was also not assembled in India(don’t tell the curator). Yet they persisted with this entry as the “highly experienced panel of automotive judges headed by the Chief Judge H.R.H. Prince Michael of Kent and Cartier’s Curator Manvendra Singh of Barwani” thought fit. The joke is that this car was eventually listed as a convertible, the panel could not tell the difference. And the owner has much better cars which would have spoilt many pre-selected winners.

On 20.11.2012, I received a mail from Mark Shand, which contained also the following lines
.......]As you may be aware there are a limited number of entries for each event and, sadly, it is not possible to accommodate everyone. We regret very much not being able to accept your vehicle on this occasion but will certainly keep it in mind for the next event. We hope very much for your continued interest and support of the Cartier ‘Travel with Style’ Concours d’Elegance and your future participation.
Yours sincerely,
Mark Shand
Director– Cartier ‘Travel

I did the hi-lighting to emphasize that these jokers do not mean what they say and write. They were sad, they will keep me in mind, hope for my continued interest and support, hope for my future participation, and then go ahead and snub me by not giving me an invite to visit, even when a common friend asked them. So many people not invited did go in, I deliberately chose to keep away.

I would only say that Cartier could consider to keep their event in French hands and take it away from that Englishman and the Indian prince, the French certainly understand hospitality much better. In the first Cartier event the invites were from Bernard Fornas, President and CEO of Cartier International, this time it was Mark Shand, Director, who eulogized the curator (praise highly in speech or writing), calling him “our curator HH Rana Singh Barwani, India’s most respected and experienced vintage car expert".

There were many cars which should not have been there, and many which should have been. I won't go in there as many from both sides are my friends.

I think this will show a little insight of the politics going on there, it has created lot of disillusionment in the collector car world, many wins are hollow, scores were trying to be settled, all at the cost of Cartier whose show was likened to a poor joke of a circus. Why does Cartier allow this?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 1st March 2013 at 17:28.
harit is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 20:40   #363
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Harit looks like you are not the only one singled out for exclusion

My open criticism of the Nizam's cars quite obviously has ruffled some feathers and not only was the TVS Chevy rejected but when I called the main organiser of the event I was told " I have washed my hands off the invite list" I obviously didn't believe that !

The TVS Chevy is a 1933 car assembled in Bombay. Its owned by the TVS family who had taken the GM dealership in 1929, bought this car in 1933 and have retained it since. It's been recently restored to its original spec and would have been a wonderful example of Indian heritage.

Got a letter from Mark Shand too, same words like Harit's, so obviously some secretary somewhere sent these standard denials out. I remember enjoying his documentaries on India travels and his passion for elephants.

Understand a lot of people are reading TBHP posts regularly and hence their reaction to Harit and my posts which may have been critical of certain issues.

Am okay with not being included or invited. I don't consider myself of much consequence in the vintage car scene in any case (not a historian or an expert or a collector).

Am happy with my world of cars and bikes and having a blast restoring some amazing machines.

Cartier had promise, the first event was superb although frankly I never gave two hoots about the politics and the prizes. Just enjoyed the cars and meeting fellow enthusiasts.

Its not too late. Hope for the next event these petty politics are discarded for a more open, fair and transparent show.

Last edited by DKG : 1st March 2013 at 20:52.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 01:29   #364
BHPian

I have logged in here after nearly a year (I think!), and what a pleasant surprise! I am so glad to see so many edwardians . There is so much to say. I had no idea we had invictas in india, leave alone the black prince! Also very pleased to find the rajkot rolls repatriated. I would, however, like to see more pictures of the 8 litre bentley. such a rare beast, and so shy!

Aditya

PS. Sir Stirling Moss in India? Surely it is a sign of things to come.....................

Last edited by TractionAvant : 2nd March 2013 at 01:32.
TractionAvant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 17:38   #365
Team-BHP Support

Here are some assorted videos covering the event.

karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 11:59   #366
Senior - BHPian

The Chrysler 300C from Hyderabad was previously said to have been accepted for thsi show but I cant see any pictures of it or mention of it.

What happened, did the car not make it ? Does anyone have any pictures of it in restored condition ?
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 13:16   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
The Chrysler 300C from Hyderabad was previously said to have been accepted for thsi show but I cant see any pictures of it or mention of it.

What happened, did the car not make it ? Does anyone have any pictures of it in restored condition ?
I have a feeling it did not make it As its not in the list or was seen .I think best ask the curator or the concours email id. This question will be definitely get an answer.

Cheera
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 21:26   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

This small article appeared in the classic & sportscar magazine of April 2013

Cheers

Name:  image4282630607.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  474.9 KB
kasli is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 00:07   #369
BHPian

Hi,

This appeared in today's Deccan Chronicle sunday supplement.

Regards,

Srinand.
Attached Thumbnails
Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-vintage-roadies-1001.jpg  

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-vintage-roadies-2002.jpg  

srinand is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 09:33   #370
BHPian

The ZEN CARBON at a future concours?

Looks like someone is up to some fools day fun.
slicvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 14:42   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
The ZEN CARBON at a future concours?

Looks like someone is up to some fools day fun.
try looking for an unmolested clean 3 door zen.... there were two colours, carbon was black, i forget the model name of the silver car
awini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 16:06   #372
BHPian

Steel if i'm not mistaken.

finding an unmolested one is difficult i agree, but them being featured in a concours in the near future is debatable
slicvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 17:03   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
try looking for an unmolested clean 3 door zen.... there were two colours, carbon was black, i forget the model name of the silver car

The silver one was the Zen Steel if I remember correctly
Shivraj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 17:52   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Steel if i'm not mistaken.

finding an unmolested one is difficult i agree, but them being featured in a concours in the near future is debatable
who would have thought even 10 years ago that a dukkar Fiat and Hindustan landmaster would be exhibited alongside napiers and rolls royces in a cartier councours.... not in the near future but they definitely will be sought after
awini is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 02:54   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
who would have thought even 10 years ago that a dukkar Fiat and Hindustan landmaster would be exhibited alongside napiers and rolls royces in a cartier councours.... not in the near future but they definitely will be sought after
Perhaps in India due to lack of choice, but I really don't see that happening anywhere else!

No offence meant.
ClassicStanley is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote