Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 5th April 2012, 00:29   #46
BHPian

>>>
It was an unforgettable evening indeed, thanks to all of us smitten by the very nature and spirit of the Zapp family for over a decade and more, through countries, climes, cultures, cuisines and languages. The snaps, the presentation by the husband and wife team on their epic journey from Argentina, through Chile, Peru, Venezuela, the Amazon rain forest, past the countries in Central America, through the US, Canada and Alaska was rivetting and so suffused with the human touch that it could be touched and felt.
We met car lovers of various stripes, some from our own team-bhp and some from vintage & classic car clubs to make it an engrossing, throbbing evening.
I imagine the spirit of the participants will ensure the safe passage of the Zapps to Durban, their next port of call after a trip to Delhi,Agra & Rajasthan. I discussed with Hermann if he might be game for a drive through Namibia, especially through the Skeleton Coast and he enthusiastically seconded the idea. He plans to drive from Durban to Johannesburg, thence to Capetown and northwards through the northern Cape into Namibia. I suggested that he do Drakensberg too enroute Jo'burg from Durban as it is both a place of scenic beauty and historical significance.
All in all a wonderful evening.
Kudos to Amol, harit, President, karlosdeville and to all others who made it a very special occasion.
Regards
issigonis
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 09:19   #47
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Pai

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>
I imagine the spirit of the participants will ensure the safe passage of the Zapps to Durban, their next port of call after a trip to Delhi,Agra & Rajasthan. Regards
issigonis
Is the family visiting Jaipur ? if any one knows please let me know,
would like to help them if they are here.

Cheers
Kartik
KartikeyaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 09:50   #48
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Pai

It was absolutely spectacular - everyone had goosebumps listening to the stories.

What was also remarkable was that so many of us got together on short notice and thoroughly enjoyed being there - to borrow a phrase, "Yes we can!" Thanks Amol, Harit and others, and hope to see the Zapps and their Graham-Paige soon in India again.

Kartik - write to them (details on first page), they would be happy to meet.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 5th April 2012 at 09:52.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 10:51   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
hope to see the Zapps and their Graham-Paige soon in India again.
>>>

A cue perhaps to all Graham-Paige owners in India/ the sub-continent to start a club perhaps, if one isn't there yet?

A write up on the marque will be very interesting to read.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 11:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Dear All Team BHPians, FCCCI(mumbai), MB club, VW guys, and Vintage and Classic car enthusiasts, HVOCT(thane) FCCCI(pune) and anyone else I may have missed. A very big thank you from me for your kind support to our common cause. As Karl has put it so well: We have shown in such a short time that we can!

Guys nothing is possible without team work and Me, Harit and everyone else like Karl, Rony and Amit(MB club) and many many more tried all that all we could to help out the wonderful family. Infact many were surprised to see so many diverse people wearing different stripes in one room. Normally we do not even attend each others events right guys But I think now the Zapps have shown us the way. More events will follow.

Thank you Zapps.

regards
Amol
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 13:22   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Guys ! this was a great and a wonderful evening of enthusiasts, friends and car talk with a lot of laughter. The fascinating stories of their journeys. The wonderful chemistry of the Zapp and respect for each other was admirable. The wonderful original machine Its has the external braking still and how he was expelling that the rains is a little risky with this. Their cute document case is so handy as its a headache to keep searching inside the vehicle as they are regularly stopped for papers. The shippers Trunk a big wow with all its badges! with hardly any modification except the center which was extended due to the family getting larger but a very nice job just blew me over.

Their children and them just full of life which was amazing.

Cheers

Last edited by karlosdeville : 5th April 2012 at 14:21. Reason: 2 smiley rule
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 16:23   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Whew, what an event and what a response.
The journey of the Zapps started in 2000, the road to this get-together started before 25th of March, Karl has been in touch with the Zapps by mail and called me on 25th to meet up with them in the evening. Three of us, Karl, Ronny and me went, met, and the seed was planted.
On 26th a Mumbai Samachar reporter visited them and the newspaper carried their story, followed by other newspapers. More people became aware.
The idea moved further with Amol taking a lead and we discussed locations, settled on NSCI for good reasons, central location and parking.
Amol, Ronny, Karl, Kasli started networking, pulling in the people and confirmations started coming in. We had lots of volunteers helping, Hassan and Tanvi collecting moolah, Amol supervising, Amit maning the refreshments counter (we also served cold drinks and water), there were volunteers who guided the Zapps from Borivali to Nsci, and some more.
Whom do we thank? Each individual car enthusiast who attended, then those who donated, many did as an additional gesture, others from outstation also send their contributions, then NSCI for excellent venue, food and service, the many clubs, and all mingled so well, no one could see separate groupings.
We managed to have the car parked right at the entrance to the hall, strategically placed and many took souvenir snaps with the car. Bless these mobiles and their features.
Also happy to note is the situation that contributions are still coming in, the accounts and net sum collected will be informed, (today is a bank holiday), we all had our fun and will feel good about this.

We have seen what is possible, and hope to move forward. The Zapps entertained us all with their stories, slide show, their journey should be updated from time to time. Those who missed to come can only regret, all were invited and welcome.

Cheers harit

Please folks, do upload pictures!!
There may be only 4 to 5 Graham Paige cars in India, they are spread across the country, forming a Marque specific club may not make sense. BTW, Graham Paige cars were assembled in Kolkata.

Last edited by harit : 5th April 2012 at 16:26.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 17:46   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Some snaps taken yesterday at the event and the car. Still have big smiles across to see this remarkable vehicle and also pondering to make a journey some day from a destination to another just for the heck of it .

Cheers

Name:  image3716828481.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  463.6 KB

Name:  image966000776.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  510.1 KB

Name:  image2418525362.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  473.9 KB

Name:  image142293364.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  537.7 KB

Name:  image3252008431.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  527.8 KB

Name:  image4136582028.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  362.5 KB

Name:  image2800114605.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  505.9 KB

Name:  image1561656525.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  525.1 KB

Name:  image4115140796.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  500.3 KB
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 19:29   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Just managed to download pics from the camera, some hardware glitch. Posting one pic today, more on Saturday.

Cheers harit
Attached Images

Old 6th April 2012, 17:00   #55
BHPian

It was a great meeting and a fantastic initiative for a worthy cause.
Was also a pleasure interacting with some of you.
tantricindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 12:00   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkol View Post
I really appreciate your last 3 sentences!!

Am sure Harit too would agree but unfortunately not my young friend MBZ!!

Cheers

What an amazing journey. I just logged on after a week's gap and am amazed to see this thread capturing the family and their car's remarkable journey. Never thought that a car, leave alone a vintage, could cover such a vast distance continuously.

And adkol, contrary to your belief, I actually agree 100% on a Vintage and Classic Car Lovers Club of India as suggested by Bulldogji. I'd be the first to sign up!
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 17:55   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are some more pictures. Everybody was busy having such a good time that very few pictures seem to have been taken by anyone.
In the pictures taken in the hall you are bound to recognize some of us, and those who did not make it can wish that they would have been present.

Cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by harit : 7th April 2012 at 17:57.
Old 8th April 2012, 16:07   #58
BHPian

It seems to have been a wonderful event and a good congregation of Vintage car enthusiasts. The Graham Paige looks so stately in front of the venue !
It is a regret for us enthusiasts from outstations that we could not be a part of it and did not get to see the car and interact with Zap family !
Thanks Harit & Kasli for the pictures . Kudos to all who organised this and agree with Amol about how lovely it is , of the fraternity coming together !
Dussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 16:44   #59
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
It seems to have been a wonderful event and a good congregation of Vintage car enthusiasts. The Graham Paige looks so stately in front of the venue !
This was a very good event and it was very fortunate that I could club it with official work. The place was very good and the Zapp family were very enthusiastic and friendly as ever. The food was excellent and people were in good spirit, as usual. Met a quite a few BHPians like Karl, Bulldogji, President, Amal Tanna...... to name a few.

I asked Herman Zapp how regularly does he changes oil and he says "I never change oil, you see she is leaking oil so I keep topping up"

Here is a picture
Name:  IMG_0067.JPG
Views: 938
Size:  144.5 KB

Thank you Harit and Amol for making it an excellent evening.

Cheers

KPS

Mr. Dussey even though you could not make it, your contribution did!

Last edited by KPS : 8th April 2012 at 16:48.
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 12:25   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

For this event we did some planning and got some prints for the Zapp's to autograph. This is a way to increse my Memorabilia collection. Below are the photos and their message on the back side.

Cheers harit
Attached Images