Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 12th January 2013, 16:57   #76
BHPian

Default Re: House of Aman Presents Ahmedabad Heritage Car Show 2012

Some photos of exclusive dinner party on 22nd dec.2012. Also please note this is our 2nd event only but you do respond to what you all feel. We had participation from Surat, Gondal, Rajkot etc. We are grateful to our Sponcer Mr.Hemesh Patel owner of Aman Akash party plot.
Attached Images

Subodh Nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 19:10   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Thanks for the pictures.

What is the history of the Bhogilal's Hotchkiss?

Cheers
The Bhogilal Hotckiss is displayed at Dastan with a "Nandgaon" sign (that is probably where he got it from).

However, given the unique spear shaped chrome mouldings on the front wings, I would guess it was an Alwar car originally.

They are so similar to the mouldings on many of the Alwar Hispano Suizas. Besides, Alwar was a Francophile as well.

I have read on this forum that the car was "rebodied" by Bhogilal, so all of what I deduced could be wrong!
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 21:02   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What is the history of the Bhogilal's Hotchkiss?
Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
The Bhogilal Hotckiss is displayed at Dastan with a "Nandgaon" sign (that is probably where he got it from).

However, given the unique spear shaped chrome mouldings on the front wings, I would guess it was an Alwar car originally.

They are so similar to the mouldings on many of the Alwar Hispano Suizas. Besides, Alwar was a Francophile as well.

I have read on this forum that the car was "rebodied" by Bhogilal, so all of what I deduced could be wrong!
The Hotchkiss could well be a Hotchpotch, though should still be a magnificent car in its own right. Possibly the same car from Faster's fantastic archives shared earlier. Harit mentioned elsewhere that the car was bought from a Jewish gentlemen named Samson in Colaba.

Gujarat Vintage And Classic Car Club, Ahmedabad (GVCCC)-hotch.jpg

Quote:
Which car is this?
Appears to be a Hansa similar to the car now in Bombay, though probably a choptop.

Gujarat Vintage And Classic Car Club, Ahmedabad (GVCCC)-hansa.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 23:38   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The Hotchkiss could well be a Hotchpotch, though should still be a magnificent car in its own right. Possibly the same car from Faster's fantastic archives shared earlier. Harit mentioned elsewhere that the car was bought from a Jewish gentlemen named Samson in Colaba.
Quote:

Karl, I was talking about the other Hotckiss (being potentially from Alwar due to the decorations on top of the wings). Other Alwar cars have similar mouldings too

Name:  Nandgaon Hotchkiss 1938 Frt 3Q L.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  192.2 KB

Gujarat Vintage And Classic Car Club, Ahmedabad (GVCCC)-alwar-hispano-suiza-1927-pebble-beach-frt-headon.jpg

Below is the reference to "Nadgaon"

Gujarat Vintage And Classic Car Club, Ahmedabad (GVCCC)-nandgaon-hotchkiss-1938-frt-headon-large.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 13th January 2013 at 00:05.
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 11:59   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Karl, I was talking about the other Hotckiss (being potentially from Alwar due to the decorations on top of the wings). Other Alwar cars have similar mouldings too
I too am referring to the same car. In Faster's picture it seems to sport a different grille, but most other parts of the body seem to be the same. Registration is also the same. During the makeover, the Alwar strips may have been added.

Gujarat Vintage And Classic Car Club, Ahmedabad (GVCCC)-hotchkiss0.jpg
Old 13th January 2013, 15:24   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I too am referring to the same car. In Faster's picture it seems to sport a different grille, but most other parts of the body seem to be the same. Registration is also the same. During the makeover, the Alwar strips may have been added.
The white car is not the Hotchkiss but a Wolseley . So they are no where the same. It's in the east now and shared parking with some great cars till they were sold

Cheers

Last edited by kasli : 13th January 2013 at 15:25.
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 16:06   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
The white car is not the Hotchkiss but a Wolseley . So they are no where the same. It's in the east now and shared parking with some great cars till they were sold
It is indeed a Hotchkiss - see the arms logo once zoomed in.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 1085
Size:  306.4 KB

Name:  00222.png
Views: 997
Size:  124.7 KB
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 17:47   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Travancore and Karl,

This Hotchkiss BMZ may have been a Royal car, but sometimes in the early 1970's it took part in a Bombay rally, colour then was Oxford or Navy blue. In that rally another white Hotchkiss also took part. Then I saw the car being driven near Wilson college, maybe in the early eighties. And she disappered, till someone took me to Navy Nagar and under the stillt of one of those two buildings where she was parked, standing very near the sea and corroded. The owner was an Admiral or Vice-Admiral Samson. I told a friend of mine from the same community to talk to him, he did not, and a few months later the car was advertised for sale in the Times Of India. She was called something like a Biarritz convertible or such exotic sounding name. At that time Nitin Dossa was also eyeing the car, but he gave up in favour of Pranlal. This he himself told me when we were on talking terms, those who are still talking can ask him . Anyway, the car was sold for around 36K, and this was in the early nineties or so. And then she got Falaschified

I must admit that I did not notice the grill change. But those flashes were not with the car. I too have a photo which I will post later when I get it in hand, it seems that this car took part in an event in Delhi!

Hotchkiss cars in India have me puzzled, till Faster posted the picture of that sedan I did not know of its existance. I suspect that the white car which entered the event years ago may have come from Ahmedabad, but I have no way to confirm that. I wish Faster could check with his senior family members.
The mystery of the grill also needs to be clarified.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 13th January 2013 at 17:51.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 17:56   #84
Team-BHP Support

Our friends in Ahmedabad continue to be active, with a small display organised at a recent show.

Gujarat Vintage And Classic Car Club, Ahmedabad (GVCCC)-01.jpg

Gujarat Vintage And Classic Car Club, Ahmedabad (GVCCC)-chevy01.jpg

Gujarat Vintage And Classic Car Club, Ahmedabad (GVCCC)-fiat01.jpg

Gujarat Vintage And Classic Car Club, Ahmedabad (GVCCC)-olds01.jpg

Gujarat Vintage And Classic Car Club, Ahmedabad (GVCCC)-vw01.jpg
Old 23rd March 2013, 13:05   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1037803
Quote:
It is indeed a Hotchkiss - see the arms logo once zoomed in.

Attachment 1037953

Attachment 1037954
See http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post3055020 (Faster789's collection) post 219 onwards.
The mystery still remains a mystery.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 14:24   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Our friends in Ahmedabad continue to be active, with a small display organised at a recent show.

Attachment 1064702

Attachment 1064703

Attachment 1064704

Attachment 1064705

Attachment 1064706
What a horrible way to modify the lights on a bug!
kevinephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 20:15   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
What a horrible way to modify the lights on a bug!
I wonder if this modification was a result of paucity of parts or if it was inspired by this very early prototype.

Name:  prototypebeetle.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  84.4 KB
thebulletboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 21:34   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
I wonder if this modification was a result of paucity of parts or if it was inspired by this very early prototype.

Attachment 1065301
I doubt very much if it was inspired from the early prototype. I would presume a lack of getting the original headlight assembly, and a thuk patti mechanic deciding to use his brains. But one never can say never.

Last edited by kevinephraim : 24th March 2013 at 21:35.
kevinephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 11:34   #89
Team-BHP Support

I believe last week was the 2013 edition. Looking forward to pictures and a report of the event

Gujarat Vintage And Classic Car Club, Ahmedabad (GVCCC)-vintacge-car-news.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 20:04   #90

More newspaper coverage of Ahmedabad Heritage Drive
AbhiNath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote