Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 15th September 2012, 20:40   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Indians and their Cars at Pebble Beach (PB)

Finally Team BHP makes it presence felt at PB. The mysterious Devil makes his appearance.
Attached Thumbnails
Indians and their Cars at Pebble Beach (PB)-karl.jpg  

Indians and their Cars at Pebble Beach (PB)-karl1.jpg  

dominator is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 14:21   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the "Side-Effects" of the Pebble Beach event was this article in Forbes.

Tamara Warren, Contributor, she writes about people, cars, culture and art.

9/24/2012 @ 4:01PM |515 views

Indian Woman Continues Classic Car Legacy

I first met Rupali Prakash at the Pebble Beach Concours D’Elegance. She was hovering around her father’s 1930 Delage. I was struck by the 23-year old’s enthusiasm for classic cars — her family owns 180 cars in Bangalore, India, where she also lives. Her father, Dr. Ravi Prakash, was invited to show his cars along side the Indian maharajas at the annual classic car event. Ms. Prakash recently completed her Masters in Human Resources at the University of Warwick, in England. She shares a passion for classic cars with her 21 year old sister, Shefali, who is working on a master’s degree at the London School of Economics. I spoke to Ms. Prakash about her experiences at Pebble Beach and driving in India earlier this month.

TW: From what I have read, your father Ravi Prakash has 180 cars. What cars in his collection did you gravitate to as a young girl?

RP: Yes my father owns 180 cars. Growing up, I enjoyed driving the Roadsters like the Jaguar E- Type and the Jaguar XK 140 and of course the all time favorite, Mini Cooper. My sister’s favorite car is the Austin Healey. These cars are fast, look fabulous and drive like a dream. However as we grew older we didn’t restrict ourselves to just these cars. Further, I wanted to be a versatile driver. So I enjoy driving everything, right from the 1907 Locomobile, to the 1909 Wolseley, MG TCs, Triumps, Alfa Romeos, and so on.

TW: What is your role in the family legacy?

RP: I think my father has definitely influenced my interest in vintage and classic cars. Since we have grown up with them, and have been participating in several vintage and classic car rallies both locally and nationally, these cars have become an important part of our lives. They’re more than just cars, they’re family members who we love and cherish. And most definitely I prefer them to the modern day models. They have so much more substance, the curves on each of these cars make them so unique. They have been sculpted so beautifully and that’s what makes them timeless. I mean the Jaguar E- type is still considered to be one of the most sexiest cars in the world. Even today if I see a Jaguar XK 140 parked next to the latest 2012 XK, my eyes go straight to the 140, and I do believe that a lot of people with agree with me on that.

TW: Are young Indian women taking an interest in cars, or do you consider yourself to be unique in this respect?

RP: Yes there are a limited number of young Indian women interested in cars. However, if your talking about vintage and classic cars, apart from my sister and I, I still haven’t come across any young women in our country, who share the same passion. My personal goal is to create an awareness of these beautiful machines among the youngsters, both boys and girls. I want my generation in India to truly understand how precious and special these cars are and as a result we can preserve them for the future generations.

TW: This was the family’s first expedition to Pebble Beach. What were your impressions of the event?

RP: This was the first time my family was invited to Pebble Beach. It truly was an honor as it has been my father’s life long dream to enter this competition. Being one of the few Indians ever invited and to add to that, to be able to drive a 1907 Locomobile at the age of 23 with my sister, at this event, was unbelievable. My car drove beautiful and it was such a pleasure taking part in the Tour. More so, the reaction of the people, their encouragement and support was fantastic. It was truly a proud moment for me, my family and my country.

The picture is from the article.

Cheers harit
Attached Images

harit is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 19:29   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
Finally Team BHP makes it presence felt at PB. The mysterious Devil makes his appearance.
Couldnt get it ! Who is the mysterious devil ?
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 23:47   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Couldnt get it ! Who is the mysterious devil ?
Actually, Karlosdeville is not a devil, and also not mysterious

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 04:12   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone seen this book yet ?

On August 19, this love for vintage cars won him the prestigious Lucius Beebe trophy at the 62nd Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance event in California. Mewar’s 1924 Rolls-Royce 20 HP, Barker Tourer (GLK 21) bagged the award and he is the first Indian to have ever won this trophy.

On the same day, the House of Mewar released a 194-page coffee table book titled The Royal Udaipur RR GLK 21 Classic drive from Derby to Udaipur to Pebble Beach
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 11:50   #141
BHPian

The recently re vamped VCCCI web site has a lovely video on the show with Nitin Dossa waving to the crowds, a delightful interview with 101 year old Margaret Dunning and her 81 year old Packard, apart from the Indian entries. Worth seeing. Nice to see the VCCCI site active. Credit to young Yash for the revamp. Now if only we knew who the VCCCI members are , it would help in interaction to take the movement forward. Yash, are you listening??
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 15:06   #142
BHPian

Mewar’s 1924 Rolls-Royce 20 HP, Barker Tourer (GLK 21) is back in India since winning the Lucius Beebe trophy at the 62nd Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance event in California. Thought I will share with all the pics of the same parked at its home in Udaipur. Got a chance to have look at this "piece of art" from very close quarters during my recent trip to Udaipur. Sharing few pics of the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Indians and their Cars at Pebble Beach (PB)-dscf5407.jpg  

Indians and their Cars at Pebble Beach (PB)-dscf5408.jpg  

Indians and their Cars at Pebble Beach (PB)-dscf5409.jpg  

Indians and their Cars at Pebble Beach (PB)-dscf5410.jpg  

Indians and their Cars at Pebble Beach (PB)-dscf5411.jpg  

67Bug is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 15:21   #143
BHPian

Hi bug. This car came to Bombay alongwith the Rajkot Rolls,[ star of India] after being shown at Pebble Beach and was trucked to Udaipur. Did you get to see the other cars as well? any pictures? I have not seen her at close quarters but believe that a full mechanical and cosmetic restoration was carried out , parts being sourced from Will Fiennes the last word for pre war Rolls, whom Diljeet Titus had invited to India, maybe a couple of years ago, with whom members of HMCI had a very interesting interactive session. 20 hp Rolls are really delightful to drive. When we went to Mahableshwar earlier this year, we had one 20hp barelling along, with the owners grin never leaving his face even though he must have had a pretty hot drive, the car being a tourer.
Bulldogji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 19:54   #144
BHPian

Hi,

Another old article that came out of today's cleaning. Hope its still relevant.

Regards,

Srinand.
Attached Thumbnails
Indians and their Cars at Pebble Beach (PB)-img_0033.jpg  

srinand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 11:11   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Last night I was watching Chasing Classic Cars where Wayne Carini visited the last pebble Beach show. I got in late, saw the 20 HP of Arvindsinghji of Udaipur, the Rajkot Rolls. Then there was a short interview with Sandra Button, and a longer interview with Mr. Evert Louwman and his Swan car. It was driven, and some of the gadgets were demonstrated like the moving beak, the white discharge at the rear, whistle etc. Then they talked about the brushes near the tyres. According to Mr Louwman, the car was first used in Calcutta these brushes were meant to remove elephant waste littering the streets. I am quite sure that Calcutta did not have many elephants, more likely there were Horses. This means that Mr. Louwman was telling a fable (a short story, typically with animals as characters, conveying a moral). The car is already well known, why does he need to add myths to his car?
And we must remember that this car was smuggled out of India, and the Government did not do any effort to bring her back. We have clear laws in India for the export of Vintage cars which are not respected abroad.

harit
harit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 19:14   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is an opportunity to bring up an old subject of cars being smuggled abroad. Like the Swan cars. If only Gandhi had sat in them, Indian Government would have tried to get them back for sure.
BTW, the Standard mentioned in one of the cuttings refers to Nitin's car which was prevented from going out. What were these Nabha Rolls's?

Cheers harit
Found this old thread while searching for something else.

The two Nabha Rolls were most likely the "Taj Mahal" (SG Chassis 2154); and the 1948 Silver Wraith (cant remember chassis number at the moment)

Indians and their Cars at Pebble Beach (PB)-nabha-rr-sg-2154-taj-mahal-name-plate.jpg

Indians and their Cars at Pebble Beach (PB)-nabha-rr-sw-nabha2.jpg
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 06:54   #147
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Travancore. I could not resist posting the link with pictures of the restored "Taj Mahal".

I am amazed at the amount of detailing, here are some pictures from the link above

Name:  Img_033.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  96.7 KB

Name:  Img_002.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  65.4 KB

Name:  IMG_005.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  Img_046.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  58.6 KB

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 17:55   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a question and not familiar with the Chassis number - Is this the same Rolls ( aka - Taj Mahal ) which was exported at the same time of the Swan and Cygnet ?

There was one dark coloured silver ghost which went at that time

Cheers
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 23:09   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Thanks Travancore. I could not resist posting the link with pictures of the restored "Taj Mahal".

I am amazed at the amount of detailing, here are some pictures from the
Cheers

KPS
Here is a link to when the "Taj Mahal" went to Goodwood. Some nice pictures.

It says that the car also served the India Army & IAF. May be the Maharaja lent it for some ceremonial purpose ????

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6083215&type=1
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote