Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 30th August 2012, 16:03   #121
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Indians and their Cars at Pebble Beach (PB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
If your club is planning a get together after their return, can some of us gate crash? Just to hear about their experiences please??
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
KPS Piling on the party if there with Bulldogji. Love to see more and looks really like the whole show was a Blast for Doc and Family. Nice snaps
Cheers
No such plans as of now. Guess once the other office bearers return from the US, we should plan for one. I will surely keep you informed and I am sure KVCCC will welcome you both as our guests.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 17:23   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Nice pictures.
Domi, maybe you should also get some description about the pictures. Many know Doc and his family members, many know Ratan Tata and Jay Leno, but Hussein? (sitting in the rear of the red Locomobile) A joke ofcourse, but see what I mean?

Doc must also be having stories to tell of the experience, try to get some.

Cheers harit
Witty as ever,our very own Harit. In the pictures apart from Doc & his family ( Wife Sabeena,Daughters Rupali & Shefali ) there is Suleman Jamal ( KVCCC President & his family ), Premnath ( KVCCC Vice President ), friends from UK and the bystanders - did I spot someone from your esteemed club in the background ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Amazing pictures and what a special moment it must have been for participants to meet all these amazing people

In one of the pictures is that Stirling Moss near the Delage?
Right DKG , the legend himself.

Quote:
WOW KPS, Beautiful pictures, many thanks. Doc and his family are very photogenic. They all look happy, having a blast. If your club is planning a get together after their return, can some of us gate crash? Just to hear about their experiences please?? Nice to read that the Delage is going to get some issues sorted out before sailing home. It is a wonderful opportunity, the car already being there. Hope Doc shows some equally spectacular cars at Cartier's.
Bulldogji - we would be very happy to have you over as an esteemed guest, gate crashers not allowed.
dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 17:44   #123
Senior - BHPian

can someone post a side by side comparison of the Delage from PB and the first Cartier event to see what all was improoved on and to compare the color shades ?
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 11:12   #124
BHPian

Thanks Dominator. What is really good to see is your club office bearers going all the way to PB to encourage Doc. Such gestures really encourage. By any chance, is the Locomobile coming to Bangalore? Was she ever in India? Can you also tell us how many of your club members have offered their cars to Cartier for their 2013 show?
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 19:16   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

The latest Auto India September 2012 issue carries a very brief report on the event. Selection of pictures is rather disappointing, we see no trace of the Indian participants Shreeji and Doc, nor their cars, for which we are all so proud and started this thread. Must ask the editor the reason. Barely visible is the last minute entry, the Rajkot Rolls with their owners, and some officials.
The article is a two page one, you have to buy the issue which is very nice considering that there are some more articles of interest for our group.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Indians and their Cars at Pebble Beach (PB)-autoindiar.jpg  

Last edited by karlosdeville : 1st September 2012 at 08:58.
harit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 22:20   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Dominator. What is really good to see is your club office bearers going all the way to PB to encourage Doc. Such gestures really encourage. By any chance, is the Locomobile coming to Bangalore? Was she ever in India? Can you also tell us how many of your club members have offered their cars to Cartier for their 2013 show?
We have been a very cohesive unit @ KVCCC and thanks to Doc's efforts in getting sponsors and arranging permissions, we have had our share of events at regular intervals albeit the last couple of years. We have not had an National Event for quite sometime unlike what you and Delhi have . At the last count with 250 odd members we have done a decent job.
Not sure about the Cartier invitees or entrants from KVCCC for 2013.
With regards to Locomobile I do not have its past,present or future existence.
dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 08:16   #127
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you also tell us how many of your club members have offered their cars to Cartier for their 2013 show?
Slightly off topic for this thread,

I could hazard a guess that other than Doc, there could be no other entries. KVCCC is largely made up of members who cannot afford the extravagance of the Cartier Event. If you take out Doc's collection there are hardly any outstanding cars in running condition from Bangalore, which can compete at the National Level. The Khodays are not directly involved in KVCCC, though we would have loved if they had a larger presence with their cars in our meets. Khodays has a lovely Packard, some nice woodies, but one must remember they have a preference to classics than vintage cars.

The only running cars which comes to mind outside Doc's collections are the Daimler DE36, Ex-Kholapur Sunbeam, Ex-Purnia Buick and Nash Roadster at Dharmasthala, Mr. Jamal's Daimler DE27, the Mangalore Avon, Merc 190 SL which is part of the larger collection of supercars, and possibly the Ex-Hyd Humber due to lineage. My Plymouth is a rare, but I am not sure it is worthy of Cartier considering the marque. Any more cars to be added to this list?

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by karlosdeville : 3rd September 2012 at 11:56. Reason: On request
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 11:15   #128
BHPian

Hi KPS, Why run down your lovely plymouth?? If you were so inclined, and applied to Cartier, I am sure your entry would have been considered. Dominator, thanks. I hope your cohesive club grows by leaps and bounds. Thats the way to take the movement forward.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 13:20   #129
DKG
Senior - BHPian

KPS just because your car is a Plymouth does not mean its not a worthy entrant at a concours such as Cartier. If the car has been meticulously restored and is historically very accurate and technically well presented and of course with weightage given to a car's styling, if not as a best of show contender, in it's class there's no reason why it cannot compete.

Let me illustrate my point. When I visited the Gondal collection two cars other than the SL really wowed me. The Delage and the Daimler. However, as fabulous cars as they are they are so poorly presented that it almost erodes the car's presence dramatically. Bhogilal's entire collection at the museum is a classic example of how great marques are left to look horrid on account of mediocre presentation. None of those cars are in a worthy condition to be presented at a Concours event like Cartier. To me that 41 Buick Convertible at the first Cartier was a far more arresting display than any car I saw at the museums.

So if a Concours is run professionally with serious Class judging for historical accuracy, technical presentation and style, chances are a car like yours could score higher than the prestigious marques which may fail to score on all other fronts apart from style.

I do agree style plays a massive role especially when it comes to the more subjective judging of the best of show car but to play it safe they usually pick the winner from the circle of best of class winners. So if a car fails to make it to best of class then it stands no chance to compete as best of show.

In India our standards are so far behind that chances are most prestigious cars if judged seriously won't win their classes. Which means someone out there who works hard at ensuring their car is a worthy contender within their class may just have a go at the best of show too !

I remember once I saw a Beetle at a friends place and was stunned at it's originality. Another car was a 240 D Merc. These two cars looked like they were bought new and locked away and revealed after decades in almost showroom condition. Now cars like that are such a amazing treat to see and would wow anyone, judges included.

Last edited by DKG : 1st September 2012 at 13:21.
DKG is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 14:01   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS

Slightly off topic for this thread,

I could hazard a guess that other than Doc, there could be no other entries. KVCCC is largely made up of members who cannot afford the extravagance of the Cartier Event. If you take out Doc's collection there are hardly any outstanding cars in running condition from Bangalore, which can compete at the National Level. The Khodays are not directly involved in KVCCC, though we would have loved if they had a larger presence with their cars in our meets. Khodays has a lovely Packard, some nice woodies, but one must remember they have a preference to classics than vintage cars.

The only running cars which comes to mind outside Doc's collections are the Daimler DE36, Ex-Kholapur Sunbeam, Ex-Purnia Buick and Nash Roadster at Dharmasthala, Mr. Jamal's Daimler DE27, the Mangalore Avon, Merc 190 SL which is part of the larger collection of supercars, and possibly the Ex-Hyd Humber due to lineage. My Plymouth is a rare, but I am not sure it is worthy of Cartier considering the mark. Any more cars to be added to this list?

Cheers

KPS
KPS as stated before the Plymouth that you own is a superb example as you have meticulously ensured authenticity all round. The issue not to be over the top. There are period accessories which were either dealer supplied or sold during that period , but remember not all were put on a car or ordered by the customer. I saw some cars which had all of the period but looked stupid. Yes, I am in agreement that your car is a worthy contender to the Cartier event due to the rarity and model example. So no harm sending the application.

I agree to some points by Bulldogji and DKG which are fair and true. It all depends on class and category that the car is slotted . It's like the preservation class a humbug section to what you call preservation when all things have been changed and converted but in place and tires and patina and paint can't shine like a new bride. This is strictly in reference to preservation class run internationally. Cars don't gleam and all rosy. It's preserved not spruced section.

Cheers and all the best
kasli is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 15:12   #131
BHPian

Hi Karl, a request. I believe the Poona Mirror carried a big story on the Mewar rolls at PB and how she won a prize. Although factually incorrect, as the car was not entered in the competion class, can you post the article please? Would be interesting to read. Thanks in advance.
Bulldogji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 18:47   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

At the Pebble Beach event the Rajkot Rolls carried the VCCCI sticker. Which makes me wonder whether the royal family have become members. If so, are they associate, honorary, ordinary or temporary members? Members in these categories have no rights

Name:  Rajk.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  27.3 KB

Tweetie Bird tells me that a rally to Rajkot is also planned, to reach there within a day, wonderful event for the movement. We will test our cars on the Mahableshwar run sheduled shortly, to see that cars will reach Rajkot later. The grandly announced 100 year Rolls-Royce rally to Kolhapur is still to be held.

A picture of the Delage in full glory, a family shot, then the line-up and the interview. We could not find Nitin's speech on UTube because he did not say much, and Manvendra only mentioned that being a Pebble Beach judge was his pinacle.

Name:  DOC1.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  201.3 KB
Indians and their Cars at Pebble Beach (PB)-doc2.jpg
Indians and their Cars at Pebble Beach (PB)-doc3.jpg
Name:  DOC4.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  167.3 KB

Cheers harit

Last edited by karlosdeville : 23rd September 2012 at 19:24. Reason: On request
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 11:14   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Karl, a request. I believe the Poona Mirror carried a big story on the Mewar rolls at PB and how she won a prize. Although factually incorrect, as the car was not entered in the competion class, can you post the article please? Would be interesting to read. Thanks in advance.
Sorry for the delay, but I just dug it out. Here is the article.

Indians and their Cars at Pebble Beach (PB)-img_1049.jpg
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 13:51   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

An Article appeared in the latest Issue of Business India. Dated September 16th.

Titled Cars of The Maharajahs

Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Doc - 13-Sep-2012 1-40 PM.pdf (428.8 KB, 207 views)
kasli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 14:15   #135
BHPian

Hi,

This article appears in todays Times of India, Bangalore edition in the Zigwheels section;

MAHARAJAS MAKE THEIR MARK

Adil Jal Darukhanawala

While the 18 or 20 odd Maharaja cars at Pebble Beach might have whipped up a load of enthusiasm within classic car circles in India and elsewhere, the two which stood out for me personally had to be the ones with their all-Indian crews. We have already spoken quite at length in our last issue about GLK 21, the 1924 Rolls-Royce 20 H.P. of the Maharana of Udaipur but what was impressive was that Maharana Arvind Singh Mewar or Shriji as he is better known did impress one and all with the rich culture of Rajasthan and Indian royalty. That he did it with élan and polish plus with humility and charm thrown into the heady mix indicated that glorious era where it was not only about cars and a way of life but also about people with similar interests who could yet be banked upon to share their prized possessions and experiences with the rest of the world.
It was also fitting that Shriji’s efforts with his car and his people and his attitude were recognised and all of them played a role in the Lucius Beebe Trophy being awarded to him and GLK 21, a first time debutant from India coming home with prized silverware from Pebble Beach.
It was impressive enough that Shriji had his daughter and son-in-law with him, and that they did not bow to international convention but came out in their traditional attire. Shriji was as impressive as ever, be it charmingly acknowledging the never-say-die spirit of 102-year-old Margaret Dunning (the oldest entrant in the event driving her 1930 Packard 740 Custom Eight roadster that she has owned for the last 60 years!) or for that matter handling the hordes of media personnel who had never seen an Indian royal at Pebble Beach before!
And as if to underline the Indian theme even more strongly, it was terrific to have the young Yuvraj Saheb Mandhatasinh Jadeja of Rajkot and his wife in attendance at the event as well. What is impressive about this royal family is the fact that Rajkot also had some of the finest cars in its royal fleet during the halcyon first half of the last century. Not just the obvious Star of India but also many other Bentleys, Rolls-Royces, etc. In fact, at Pebble 2012 the Star of India joined the mighty 1935 Hispano-Suiza J12 after maybe over half a century of separation! But it is the Star of India saga for which the likes of a new breed of young Indian royals we have to praise. This 1934 Rolls-Royce Phantom II was taken away from India some time in the 1960s and for a long time it was in the Stratford-upon-Avon motor museum until it closed and the car sold off. For many years it was in a German enthusiast’s Rolls-Royce collection and when the entire collection came up for auction a couple of years ago, the Yuvraj Saheb went out and acquired it. There were always plans to bring it to India but the red tape-ism in our land plus also of course the early history of the car being spirited away have been dampeners but according to Nitin Dossa of the VCCCI, there is a good chance the Star of India will roll on Indian soil again.

CROWD PULLERS PAR EXCELLENCE! Classic exotica dominates this mood shot from Pebble Beach with the 1928 RR EX17 Phantom Sports and the 1925 RR Phantom I Barker Sports Torpedo just about leaving enough room to glimpse the 1935 Holkar Duesenberg.

MIGHTY PHANTOM! There were no less than three Maharajaowned Rolls-Royce Phantom IIIs at Pebble Beach. This is the ex-Maharaja of Rewa's 1937 Thrupp & Maberly bodied convertible.

ROYAL HONOUR! The Udaipur royals with Maharana Arvind Singh Mewar along with his daughter Princess Padmaja Kumariji Mewar and his son-in-law Rajkumar Sahib Dr Kush Singhji Parmar of Santrampur at Pebble Beach with GLK21. Both gentlemen are wearing the royal coat of arms insignia on their collars.

INDIANS ON THE GO! It was without an iota of doubt that India and Indian participants made their mark at Pebble Beach for the first time in a most elegant manner. Seen at the de rigeur tete a tete are (from left), the Princess of Rajkot, Maharaja Manvendra Singh of Barwani who planted the idea for Pebble to feature Maharaja machines, noted Bangalore-based classic car collector Dr Ravi Prakash, Yuvraj Mandhatasinh of Rajkot, H H Maharana Arvind Singh Mewar of Udaipur and Nitin Dossa of the VCCCI.

FROM A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM! Fantastic shot of the 1910 Brooke Swan car as she purrs her way on the greens in the early hours of judging day. Pebble Beach doesn't repeat cars and if so in exceptional cases only. This was the Swan's second coming at this event, the first being in 1993 when she took the Lord Montagu Award.

MAHARAJA MAGNIFICENCE ON THE MOVE! Not since the Delhi Durbar could one have seen so many exotic high brow vehicles with strong Indian provenance ever got together in their original finery as they did at Pebble Beach 2012. The pic shows three of the top runners rolling down the greens with the ex-Maharaja of Alwar's 1925 Hispano-Suiza H6B with Kellner cabriolet coachwork leading the ex-Maharaja of Jaipur's 1930 Bentley Speed Six Mulliner saloon with the ex-Maharaja Holkar of Indore's Duesenberg Model J Gurney Nutting Speedster next up.

GRANDEST DUESIE EVER? In the same league as the Clark Gable shortwheelbase Duesenberg Model J sports car is the one-off J Gurney Nutting bodied Speedster on a 1935 Duesenberg J chassis ordered by the Maharaja Holkar of Indore. Probably the most artistic of the load of royals, all his cars - Mercedes, Bugatti, Delage, et al, exemplified class and good taste. This car finished in typical saffron and black and looking purposeful on its own account fittingly won the Maharaja class at Pebble Beach this year. Owned by the William Lyon family in the US, the car has been faithfully maintained just as it was in Indore.

HEAVY HITTER! If ever there was a car fit for royalty with pomp, prestige, presence and performance to spare, then it had to be the Hispano-Suiza J12 made in an exceedingly small series in the mid-1930s. This particular example is the ex-Maharaja of Rajkot royal cabriolet with de Villars coachwork. It is now in the Robert M Lee collection in the US.

EXPERIMENTAL ROLLER! This is the famous 17 EX Phantom, formerly the pride and joy of the Maharaja of Jammu & Kashmir. Present owner Alexander Schaufler of Austria drove this beauty at the event.

ANOTHER HOLKAR GEM! Noted classic car collector from Bangalore Dr Ravi Prakash flew in his ex-Holkar 1930 Delage D8 with sports tourer coachwork by Figoni.

RINGING IN ALWAR! The front cow bell was a prized accessory on many a Maharaja machine and though not quite so huge or ornate as on the Bharatpur cars, the Maharaja of Alwar's 1925 Hispano-Suiza H6B was magnificently turned out. Not unnaturally then that it placed third in the Maharaja class.

MOUNTAIN MEISTER! Prized Maharaja Mercedes-Benz circa 1930 is this 27/180/200PS SS sports-tourer ordered by the Maharaja of Kashmir on first sight at the Paris Motor Show that very year. It was converted to right-hand drive and then delivered in India. Now owned and entered by Mercedes-Benz Classic.

BIG BUTCH BRUISER OF A BENTLEY! The Indian royals' love affair with the Rolls-Royce has been a much documented one but curiously there were very few who opted for the just as opulent but even more powerful Bentleys of the 1920s W O era. Among the few who did was the Maharaja of Jaipur who ordered this very handsome saloon on a 1930 Speed Six chassis with coachwork by Mulliner.

ECCENTRIC ENTITIES! The 1910 Brooke Swan car with the electrically-propelled 1919 Cygnet which once graced the Maharaja of Nabha's fleet. Both cars are now in the Louwman Museum in Holland.

regards,

Srinand.
srinand is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote